The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

Ruutu, welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes. Trust me on this, you will enjoy the weather here in Carolina a LOT more than in Chicago (especially this time of year).

You know he must have been think upon landing @ RDU: "Hey, where's all the snow?" Chicago has been hit with a heck of winter this year, the most snow in 15-20 years. Now, today, Ruutu hears "possibility of snow flurries", he'll be laughing his butt off on that one.

Congrats to you Canes fans. Good luck Ruutie on your new endeavor in NC!!! I can't wait for you to come to Chicago Mar 12 as I will be there rooting you on.

So will I, going back to Sweet Home Chicago for that one.

I bet the boards are jumping all over the NHL... Your are right about the Sens board after the Commie/Stiller trade. So far I have a lot that I like about Corvo Jose... And I seem to recall some comments on why we picked up a used up player like Sammie from wavers... So time will tell for Ruutu. But what I saw from the guy last night I liked...

Why would one game change anybody's mind about the trade? The issue isn't whether Ruutu is good---its whether he was worth giving Ladd up for. The fact is, Ladd was finally getting 1st line minutes and producing like a first line player. His minutes went from sub 10 to over 16 a game. Ruutu's went from +16 on avg to less than 12 and under 9 for two of the last four. Ruutu--again, with more than 2 seasons more time in the league, has regressed each season from his first. I don't know how those who say Ladd has not shown improvement can even reconcile this difference. Ruutu has gone from the next Forsberg to the next Wayne Primeau. And if a center is what the Canes needed--get a center not a winger who might play center.

And for gosh sake, this is nothing like getting Sammy--there was no trade, the Canes risked nothing but money. No picks, no prospects, no players. He didn't even cost as much as Anson Carter. The only thing they have in common is they came from Chicago and neither was producing as much as was expected of them. Chicago had begun to give up on Ruutu--how does that make him worth Ladd?

All I can say is look at these and see if he fits our style. I think he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-8ap-RS3I&NR=1

The other thing that jumps out at you is that Ruutu is a much better skater, passes extremely well and has a very good feel for the game that I never saw in Ladd. I'm not trying to bash the newly departed b/c Ladd is a good guy but too many times he seemed to lack the instinctive play that Ruutu has always shown when I've seen him.

Ladd always seemed to try and step up to be the physical force the team needed, at some times successful at others not as much, while Ruutu does it naturally.

The added benefit of Ruutu's presence will help Cole even though they won't be on the same line. Too many nights Cole was the only forward who was aggressively forechecking and hitting and Ruutu will take a lot of that burden off of him which in some games seemed to wear him down.

I know it is still early, but I thought he looked great last night. Especially since he walked into the arena at 6:48 pm. The hit he delivered to White was vicious! I can't recall a time where we were punishing White, it's usually the other way around. Now how the ref missed the puddle of blood on the ice is a whole other story. I still am not exactly sure why we made the trade, but I was more indifferent about it, well I guess suprised since Ladd has been playing well lately. Either way I like the way this guy BANGS>

1) Why would a Chicago fan who wanted Ruutu gone care to come to a Carolina site a crow about it? Would you do the same if the feeling was reversed?

2) Get off the high horse--I am not a just in time expert and I have watched my share of Chicago games, both to see the "kids" play and because of family connections to the area--I am more than familiar with Ruutu

3) So--at an age when most players are finishing College hockey or playing their first year of pro hockey--Ladd has been able to prove himself capable of putting up points with first line minutes. Will he always do so? Who knows--but he's shown it lately. And for improvement--like you said, he couldn't prove himself worthy before--but now he can? Has the NHL gotten worse or Ladd better? A player scores points by being in the right place at the right time--Ladd's game awareness is what puts him in those places to score. That's the improvement--you can't make bad hands great (look at Cole)--but Laddie is a gamer who puts forth the effort and doesn't make a great deal of bad plays. No real bad penalties and consequently--you don't see him as much--but, he camps out in front of the net when no one else will.

4) Ruutu, in over twice as many games played as Ladd--has had his production go down each and every year. Ladd, inconsistant, yes--has shown the ability to get better and if nothing else, not regress. Ruutu--given more chances, with more minutes, with better players has gotten more inconsistant over the years not more. At a time when Ruutu should be becoming a dominant player--he has developed into a grinder.

5) So Ladd disappears every once in awhile--like Cole, Williams, Roddy and Staal? Its a fact of life in the NHL and the younger you are to more likely it is to happen. And if Ladd is avg 12 min a game--how are you going to see him?

6) Just give up on the "natural" center argument. Ruutu has NEVER played over 10% of his time as a center. Hamilton played more as a center in Chicago last year--and scored 1 more point in 5 less minutes a game. Sure blame bad coaching--but the fact is the "natural" center can't ever seem to play center.

7) Drop the "fan favorite" nonsense everytime somebody disagrees with you--Ladd is a good kid and I like his style--but he's an asset and assets are to be used. If that use is better to get some other asset, so be it. The problem is--he was an asset coming into his own--traded for an asset that has regressed in value and might have been thrown to the side at the end of the year. Personally I think Ruutu will do better in Carolina then he will do in Chicago, because our system and overall, game ready talent is far better than Chicagos. A few years from now, that may not be true--but it is now. And depending on how Ladd is used in Chicago, he may regress. But lately, he as proving the ability to succeed with highly skilled players--and that is something Ruutu has not shown in recent memory. So it could turn out to be a wash in the end--but right now, Carolina overpaid for something that would have been much, much cheaper in another month.

I know it is still early, but I thought he looked great last night. Especially since he walked into the arena at 6:48 pm. The hit he delivered to White was vicious! I can't recall a time where we were punishing White, it's usually the other way around. Now how the ref missed the puddle of blood on the ice is a whole other story. I still am not exactly sure why we made the trade, but I was more indifferent about it, well I guess suprised since Ladd has been playing well lately. Either way I like the way this guy BANGS>

Yes, it sent a message early and great point about who was on the receiving end, White. It's one thing to level Gionta but to knock White down like a bowling pin set the tone.

I told someone last night that Ruutu would people of what Raffi Torres did to the Canes in the Stanley Cup Finals. He was a disruptive force the entire series and though he has some skills, Ruutu is far better and plays with a better understanding of the game. His passing was crisp and ice-awareness last night was outstanding.

Again, Ladd didnt fit the system which has the forwards in constant motion, obviously someone with more knowledge than anyone on here felt that Ruutu would be an upgrade within this system. Both these players had a certain amount of hype regarding their potential and Ladds definitely would not have been met playing the Canes style of hockey.

Get off the high horse--I am not a just in time expert and I have watched my share of Chicago games, both to see the "kids" play and because of family connections to the area--I am more than familiar with Ruutu

Just give up on the "natural" center argument. Ruutu has NEVER played over 10% of his time as a center. Hamilton played more as a center in Chicago last year--and scored 1 more point in 5 less minutes a game. Sure blame bad coaching--but the fact is the "natural" center can't ever seem to play center.

I made the "just in time expert" comment but I didn't direct at you or anyone else specifically. I stand by it too. To deny there were teams of posters weighing in negatively on the trade who didn't even know who Ruutu was, let alone having seen him play, is overlooking the obvious. My point was that many were happy to present stats only vs. making an argument that uses stats as supporting info.

Sorry, but you are dead wrong about him being a natural center. He is regardless of how or why he has been utilized. Zetterburg is a natural center too but plays wing. You can't look past the fact that Ruutu, who projects as a forward here too, can play center and his versatility provides options. Aggressive hard-hitters are often more valuable playing the wing than at center unless they are also big-time scorers which he is not.

5) So Ladd disappears every once in awhile--like Cole, Williams, Roddy and Staal? Its a fact of life in the NHL and the younger you are to more likely it is to happen. And if Ladd is avg 12 min a game--how are you going to see him?

This is a off base statement. All the players you have listed have scored at least 30 goals in a season and were major players (except Cole) in the 05-06 Stanley cup run. yes players go through slumps but Ladds big career high is a whopping 11 goals. The above mentioned have been consistent in their Canes career, much more so than Ladd ever has.

btw to get more than 12 min per game you have to earn that time and until the last few weeks, Ladd has never earned more ice time.

but you think Ladd is top player, which if you like him is fine, just bring some factual evidence before putting down Ruutu, who has

had a bit better career to this point than Ladd has and has a rep for physical play much more than Ladd does.

Ladd has 18 pts in 43 games. Pretty mediocre production after a whole 21 pts in 65 games last year.

Ruutu has 109 pts in 229 career games

Ladd has 50 pts in 137 games.

This trade is a wash....

Ladd has been playing better lately because of injury to the normal top liners. Do you really think that next year he woulda bumped Brindy or Williams from one of the first two lines?

The same people who are crying about this trade are the ones who are crying about the Stillman Commy trade. Learn about how the business side of the game works...

Ladd was supposed to be the physical presence in the slot and never reallt was. The Canes did not lose anything in this trade so far that they cannot easily replace in the offseason if need be.

Just read in the N&O that, much like when Samsonov arrived, Ron Francis met Ruutu at the airport (and went over the Cane's style of play in the back of a police car as they rushed to get to the RBC Center before puck drop! :D ). What a welcome it must be to these new guys, to have Mr. Francis be your first face-to-face contact with the Hurricanes organization. Well done!

This is a off base statement. All the players you have listed have scored at least 30 goals in a season and were major players (except Cole) in the 05-06 Stanley cup run. yes players go through slumps but Ladds big career high is a whopping 11 goals. The above mentioned have been consistent in their Canes career, much more so than Ladd ever has.

btw to get more than 12 min per game you have to earn that time and until the last few weeks, Ladd has never earned more ice time.

but you think Ladd is top player, which if you like him is fine, just bring some factual evidence before putting down Ruutu, who has

had a bit better career to this point than Ladd has and has a rep for physical play much more than Ladd does.

Ladd has 18 pts in 43 games. Pretty mediocre production after a whole 21 pts in 65 games last year.

Ruutu has 109 pts in 229 career games

Ladd has 50 pts in 137 games.

Ruutu has 59 in his last 131, and his minutes per game were almost 5 min a game higher--not a big difference in scoring there.

Ladd was earning more ice time--that's where the 10 pts in the last 11 comes in--how long that was going to continue, who knows--but based on Cole's injury and contract status, by the time Ladd is Ruutu's age--Ladd may have been the player to take that spot.

And I'm not putting down Ruutu--I'm putting down the trade. Ruutu is a good player and I'm glad he is a Cane. The issue is trading a much younger player (almost 3 years by birthday), who is getting better, with an unknown upside, STRAIGHT up for bigger version of Scott Walker. Ruutu isn't displacing anybody on the top 6 (when they are healthy) and with the minutes he has played in the league--he hasn't shown the ability to do so since his back injury. And the Blackhawks were not even sure where Ruutu was fitting into future plans. So again, not critical of the player, just the trade.

And I'm not putting down Ruutu--I'm putting down the trade. Ruutu is a good player and I'm glad he is a Cane. The issue is trading a much younger player (almost 3 years by birthday), who is getting better, with an unknown upside, STRAIGHT up for bigger version of Scott Walker. Ruutu isn't displacing anybody on the top 6 (when they are healthy) and with the minutes he has played in the league--he hasn't shown the ability to do so since his back injury. And the Blackhawks were not even sure where Ruutu was fitting into future plans. So again, not critical of the player, just the trade.

I'm not sure you can say Ladd was improving, he'd been hot recently but he's been hot before especially when the rest of the team was playing well. A few good recent games do not necessarily translate to an improved season. The canes were at the point with Ladd where they either had to sell him now or ride it out. His value wasn't going to get any better in the short term for other teams, because he was either going to show that he deserved top 6 minutes and stick with the canes or not show it, lowering his value. JR's betting that what we've seen of Ladd is all there is going to be, potential and flashes of improvement. We'll see if he's wrong or right but we won't really know that for years.

I dont disagree with the age arguement regarding Ladd but at the same time with the 2 latest trades the Canes have gotten 3 players under or at 25 years for the price of one. Not only have they gotten younger, which was becoming a major concern, but according to the last 2 weeks they've also gotten better.

I dont disagree with the age arguement regarding Ladd but at the same time with the 2 latest trades the Canes have gotten 3 players under or at 25 years for the price of one. Not only have they gotten younger, which was becoming a major concern, but according to the last 2 weeks they've also gotten better.

3? Eaves and Ruutu and ? Corvo is at least 30.

At the start of the game Ladd needs a kick in the butt while Ruutu kicks butt. My concern is whom will Ladd single out when he visits in March... ? And another thing, bring up from the minors a fast d-man and also bring up Drayson Bowman for some well deserved icetime.

While I did enjoy Ruuto, it's only 1 game. If, IF, he can bring that to the Rags on Thursday, especially on specific players, then I say he was worth it. Maybe JR's thinking is this...

If we get into the playoffs, it's a best of 7 series... if Ruuto, Brookbank, Walker, Cole, etc continue to smash into players... it'll wear em down, injure them, and they'll have less "potential threats" in the series, and whatnot. If it sounds ridiculous, I don't mind. Just a theory.

Is this what you're talking about???

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post] ;)