The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

Well, finally made it to page 13...

Ladd was starting to play well, and the jury is still out as many have stated. Clearly JR saw enough to pull the trigger and like others that have posted, I can't disgree.

Let's give Ruutu some time, but for now sounds like he's off and hitting :)

Ladd was starting to play well, and the jury is still out as many have stated. Clearly JR saw enough to pull the trigger and like others that have posted, I can't disgree.

Kudos to you for reading before posting :)

From the N&O

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ruutu's whirlwind journey

As he was being stitched up late Tuesday night, Tuomo Ruutu had to marvel that it wasn't what he was expecting when he woke up in the morning.

He began the day as a member of the Blackhawks. Not twelve hours later, he needed 40 stitches to put the left side of his face back together after he was inadvertently high-sticked by Patrik Elias.

"It was kind of an interesting day," Ruutu said. "All kind of things happened. I'm going to remember it for the rest of my life."

[More:]

Ruutu was at practice in Chicago when he was pulled off the ice and told he had a phone call. The first was from Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon telling him he had been traded. The second was from Carolina GM Jim Rutherford telling him he had a half-hour to get to O'Hare for his flight to Raleigh.

Ruutu scrambled to the airport, only to have his plane sit on the runway for two hours. It didn't arrive in Raleigh until minutes before the Canes took the ice for warm-ups.

"I was doing some lunges on the plane to warm up," Ruutu joked.

He got a breakdown on Carolina's forecheck and systems from Ron Francis in the backseat of the police car that rushed him to the RBC Center, arrived with 10 minutes to spare, threw on his gear and hopped on the ice.

After a big hit on Colin White on his second shift and an assist on Sergei Samsonov's first goal, Elias caught Ruutu in the left eye with the toe of his stick in the third period. The cut starts on his brow, angles out onto his left eyelid and runs down to the tip of his nose.

"I saw some guys' faces on the bench and I knew what it looked like," Ruutu said.

His left eye was swollen shut today, keeping him out of practice and the swelling may not go down enough to allow him to play Thursday. Still, his first day in Carolina had enough action for two.

Thanks. It was actually a pretty funny process. Was in NYC last night and started reading, where lots of doubts about Ruutu were expressed (injury, productions questions). Then he puts on a uniform. Unfortuntately for me, no televised game where I'm at. I then text message by son (at game) who keeps me posted.

Well, when I get back to Raleigh today, the thread "sounds" a little different given how Ruutu played.

I was never a Ladd fan, but must say that he really came back after an awful injury this year, and probably played his best hockey recently. Jury is still out, and I hope he delivers. He seemed like a really good guy from what I could tell.

Just to clarify, I'm not hating on Ruutu. I hope he does well, I really do.

I'm hating on JR, because there was no reason to give up Ladd. Chances are, we could have gotten Ruutu for a 2nd round pick.

The fact that the rest of our division are aquiring much better players at much lower prices doesn't help the situation. Caps get Fedorov for nobody and we trade Ladd for Ruutu? JR got played.

Ruutu is not a 38 yr old UFA at the end of the season. You have to give something if you want him.

Why would one game change anybody's mind about the trade? The issue isn't whether Ruutu is good---its whether he was worth giving Ladd up for. The fact is, Ladd was finally getting 1st line minutes and producing like a first line player. His minutes went from sub 10 to over 16 a game. Ruutu's went from +16 on avg to less than 12 and under 9 for two of the last four. Ruutu--again, with more than 2 seasons more time in the league, has regressed each season from his first. I don't know how those who say Ladd has not shown improvement can even reconcile this difference. Ruutu has gone from the next Forsberg to the next Wayne Primeau. And if a center is what the Canes needed--get a center not a winger who might play center.

And for gosh sake, this is nothing like getting Sammy--there was no trade, the Canes risked nothing but money. No picks, no prospects, no players. He didn't even cost as much as Anson Carter. The only thing they have in common is they came from Chicago and neither was producing as much as was expected of them. Chicago had begun to give up on Ruutu--how does that make him worth Ladd?

The trade was more of each guy could use a change of scenery. Ladd never produced here the way the Canes wanted him to, part of that was due to injuries. Ruutu was in the same situation in Chicago as Ladd was here. Both guys play similar, difference is that Ruutu is more consistant. Ruutu will bring that type of play game after game, Ladd on the other hand would disappear at times.

I wonder if Ladd was traded a month ago when he wasn't producing if people would have been more up in arms about this trade. I think most people questioning it is b/c Ladd started producing, but he's producted for 10-15 games, then he disappears for 10-15 games. With Ruutu, he is consistant in that he will play that physical, gritty style every game not just once in awhile.

Its a risk for both teams.

Great, I have tickets to the Rags game hoping to see Ruutu in a 'Canes jersey, and he most likely won't be playing. Just great. And btw, I was glad we picked up Ruutu. He has nice hands and can really lay a guy out.

did anyone else see this picture?

i feel so bad for Ruutu!

ruutuhighsticked.jpg

all i can say is ouch!

is it just me..or does his left eye kinda looks like a hurricane?

..talk about ironic! :D

UGH That is disgusting...where did you find that?!?

Edit: He must in good spirits with that huge smile on his face!

UGH That is disgusting...where did you find that?!?

he actually looks quite happy with himself! so, none the worse for wear i suppose.......

i too have tickets for the game tomorrow night and was really looking forward to seeing him play. altho i liked ladd and agree that he was beginning to step up, it does seem that the new players have infused the team with a much needed energy and enthusiasm. that, in and of itself, may be enough to get us to the playoffs (in addition, of course, to the level of skill they bring to the ice).

can't wait to be there for the beat down of the rags.............. :P

Wow, I just went over and was watching the interview with Ladder on the Hawks site. Says he is excited to "help them get to the playoffs"

Then took a look at their message board "Who's Andrew Ladd" was one of the posts...geez oh man.

Tonight is his first game with the Hawks! :)

did anyone else see this picture?

i feel so bad for Ruutu!

ruutuhighsticked.jpg

all i can say is ouch!

is it just me..or does his left eye kinda looks like a hurricane?

..talk about ironic! :D

I just want to say that I love this guy already! What a physical player. This is what we have needed all year. Great trade JR. And the fact that he is smiling with half of his face torn off; you have got to LOVE IT!!!!! I can

Wow, I just went over and was watching the interview with Ladder on the Hawks site. Says he is excited to "help them get to the playoffs"

Then took a look at their message board "Who's Andrew Ladd" was one of the posts...geez oh man.

Tonight is his first game with the Hawks! :)

wow! i had a look at their message board too, those guys are VICIOUS (especially in regards to their coaching staff). seems that i detect a little ......ahem........frustration with us having such great success with sammy and now, at least initially, ruutu as well.

i wish andrew ladd all the best. in spite of his words, he looks pretty down. let's hope he shows his stuff for the hawks tonight! ;)

i wish andrew ladd all the best. in spite of his words, he looks pretty down. let's hope he shows his stuff for the hawks tonight! ;)

Ugh I thought the same thing, but was just like "Ahh I am probably just making things up in my head" :unsure:

At least he has a couple former Hurricanes on the team with him.

that's how ruuty always is... he's very happy-go-lucky, for lack of a better term. he's always smiley and giggly.

wow! i had a look at their message board too, those guys are VICIOUS (especially in regards to their coaching staff). seems that i detect a little ......ahem........frustration with us having such great success with sammy and now, at least initially, ruutu as well.

yeah... we're pretty brutal over there. most of us sensible ones are happy our boys are doing well, no matter where they are, but we're definitely frustrated with the organization here, and our complete lack of knowledge when it comes to using players correctly. cheers to you guys for unlocking sammy (and making us eat half the bill, at that! :lol:)

Hurricanes fans,

Tuomo Ruutu is my favorite player and his parting is bittersweet. I think it is best for him. Regretfully, he was not utilized properly up here.

Ruutu had 80 point-a-season potential, now after the injuries, he has slowed and he probably has 60 point per season potential. He also has trouble getting his shots off unblocked/deflected away. But points do not present the full picture of Ruutu, as was manifest last night.

Good luck to you Tuomo Ruutu.

speaking of ladd, is anyone able to watch the game on now? i can't get the sopcast feed to work....

I am going to turn the game on in like 3 minutes. I see the Hawks have already scored once though.

I am going to turn the game on in like 3 minutes. I see the Hawks have already scored once though.

yep! williams from bolland.

still haven't heard ladd's name yet... but like i said, i can't watch, only listen.

Yeah, it seems Hawks fans on their boards are TOUGH. Ouch. :blink::wacko:

"Ruutu this, Ladd that, I feel bad for him, we'll have to see how he does until the end of the season, don't throw him under the bus..."

wait, thats from our boards isn't it??!? ;)