The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

RALEIGH, NC-Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center/left wing Tuomo Ruutu (TOO-oh-moh ROO-too) from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for left wing Andrew Ladd.

"Tuomo is a versatile player who gives the coaches more options at center or wing," said Rutherford. "He's a hard-hitting and skilled two-way player who will complement our group of forwards."

Ruutu, 25, is in his fourth NHL season after the Blackhawks drafted him with the ninth overall pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. The Vantaa, Finland, native has scored six goals, earned 15 assists (21 points) and accumulated 75 penalty minutes, while averaging 15:34 of ice time in 60 games with Chicago this season. Ruutu (6'0", 200 lbs.) has scored 48 goals, earned 66 assists and totaled 259 penalty minutes in 228 career NHL regular-season games with the Blackhawks.

Ruutu has represented Finland at seven major international tournaments, capturing four medals. He served as an alternate captain and led Team Finland in scoring at the 2000 International Ice Hockey Federation Under-18 World Junior Championships in Switzerland. Ruutu captured a silver medal with Finland at the 2001 U-20 World Junior Championships, and bronze medals at the 2002 and 2003 World Juniors, leading the tournament in scoring in 2003. He was a member of Finland's team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, and the 2006 and 2007 World Championships, leading the tournament 2006 with 49 penalty minutes.

TUOMO RUUTU'S CAREER STATISTICS

REGULAR SEASON PLAYOFFS

YEAR TEAM LGE GP G A PTS PIM GP G A PTS PIM

2000-01 Jokerit Helsinki Jr Fin-Jr 2 1 0 1 0 - - - - -

Jokerit Helsinki Finland 47 11 11 22 94 5 0 0 0 4

2001-02 Jokerit Helsinki Finland 51 7 16 23 69 10 0 6 6 29

2002-03 HIFK Helsinki Finland 30 12 15 27 24 - - - - -

2003-04 Chicago NHL 82 23 21 44 58 - - - - -

2004-05 DID NOT PLAY

2005-06 Chicago NHL 15 2 3 5 31 - - - - -

2006-07 Chicago NHL 71 17 21 38 95 - - - - -

2007-08 Chicago NHL 60 6 15 21 75 - - - - -

NHL Totals (4 seasons) 228 48 66 114 259 - - - - -

RALEIGH, NC-Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has acquired center/left wing Tuomo Ruutu (TOO-oh-moh ROO-too) from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for left wing Andrew Ladd.

"Tuomo is a versatile player who gives the coaches more options at center or wing," said Rutherford. "He's a hard-hitting and skilled two-way player who will complement our group of forwards."

Ruutu, 25, is in his fourth NHL season after the Blackhawks drafted him with the ninth overall pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft. The Vantaa, Finland, native has scored six goals, earned 15 assists (21 points) and accumulated 75 penalty minutes, while averaging 15:34 of ice time in 60 games with Chicago this season. Ruutu (6'0", 200 lbs.) has scored 48 goals, earned 66 assists and totaled 259 penalty minutes in 228 career NHL regular-season games with the Blackhawks.

Ruutu has represented Finland at seven major international tournaments, capturing four medals. He served as an alternate captain and led Team Finland in scoring at the 2000 International Ice Hockey Federation Under-18 World Junior Championships in Switzerland. Ruutu captured a silver medal with Finland at the 2001 U-20 World Junior Championships, and bronze medals at the 2002 and 2003 World Juniors, leading the tournament in scoring in 2003. He was a member of Finland's team at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, and the 2006 and 2007 World Championships, leading the tournament 2006 with 49 penalty minutes.

TUOMO RUUTU'S CAREER STATISTICS

REGULAR SEASON PLAYOFFS

YEAR TEAM LGE GP G A PTS PIM GP G A PTS PIM

2000-01 Jokerit Helsinki Jr Fin-Jr 2 1 0 1 0 - - - - -

Jokerit Helsinki Finland 47 11 11 22 94 5 0 0 0 4

2001-02 Jokerit Helsinki Finland 51 7 16 23 69 10 0 6 6 29

2002-03 HIFK Helsinki Finland 30 12 15 27 24 - - - - -

2003-04 Chicago NHL 82 23 21 44 58 - - - - -

2004-05 DID NOT PLAY

2005-06 Chicago NHL 15 2 3 5 31 - - - - -

2006-07 Chicago NHL 71 17 21 38 95 - - - - -

2007-08 Chicago NHL 60 6 15 21 75 - - - - -

NHL Totals (4 seasons) 228 48 66 114 259 - - - - -

fair enough in the responses to injury worries - although looking at Ruutu's stats, i couldn't help but notice that in 2003-04 he was a stellar -31! Don't get me wrong here, I hope he lights it up and has the same success that Samsonov has had...still hate this trade though.

I think we need to give Ruutu a chance before burying him.

It is not like Ladd has had a stellar career to this point either, while Ruutu has at least one career 20 goal season

while Ladds career high is 11.

the jury is out. hopefully he can fit in well like Sergei and Corvo have and remember we are getting Eaves back at

some point.

maybe I am not as high on Ladd as some are here. Just my take

fair enough in the responses to injury worries - although looking at Ruutu's stats, i couldn't help but notice that in 2003-04 he was a stellar -31! Don't get me wrong here, I hope he lights it up and has the same success that Samsonov has had...still hate this trade though.

minus 31 on a really bad Blackhawk team

plus minus is overrated IMO

hehehehe :lol:

Not sure why people are complaining about him being hurt constantly? He's played in all but 2 games this year, all but 11 last year and got hurt his sophomore season.

Ladd hasn't played more than 65 games in a year for us.

It's the 15 games in the 05-06 season that's throwing everyone off. And rightly so.

There's just no way this could work out. Ladd was doing well here. He's a younger, less injury prone Ruutu.

I can only hope this is a transition trade. Pittsburgh was interested in Ruutu. Ruutu for Staal? Ruutu for Letang?

It's the 15 games in the 05-06 season that's throwing everyone off. And rightly so.

There's just no way this could work out. Ladd was doing well here. He's a younger, less injury prone Ruutu.

I can only hope this is a transition trade. Pittsburgh was interested in Ruutu. Ruutu for Staal? Ruutu for Letang?

I would love Ruuto for Jordan Staal.

One can only hope though

I think we need to give Ruutu a chance before burying him.

I don't think anyone here is burying him right off the bat. We just like our Ladders, who has been GETTING IT DONE since moving up into the scoring lines. The Cullen, Ladd, Samsonov line clicked pretty quickly and now we're just gonna break that up to make a move. I get it that Ruutu can center, but I don't think it is worth the tradeoff in known chemistry that we have going in light of all of our injuries.

He had a back injury that kept him out long-term. It's not a transitional trade either though his brother might like him to join him in Pittsburgh.

The timing is a bit surprising given Ladd's recent upswing but I'm not disappointed in the trade either. You might want to actually see Ruutu play first before panning the trade though.

Yeah, Ladd's pretty injury prone, but nowhere near Tuomo's level.

I just don't understand the logic behind this.

"Hey Ladd, you've done well lately. We'll trade you for a glass player who HASN'T done well lately".

how does this compare?? he was injured twice in one season ('05-'06) and has been relatively healthy since.

Aren't you the same one that hated the Samsonov acquisition??

I saw a post on another board that said Ruutu is a vicious hitter and his play makes Scotty Walker look passive by comparison. There are some YouTube videos of some of his hits - they are wicked.

Well for anyone that thinks the canes aren't physical enough, I think this guy is the answer. He leads the hawks in hits, and could be another gem.

you would be too if your team had 20 wins that year, with 259 goals against. i mean whitney was a -26 at one point and i dont see complaints about him. same goes with matt cullens -23. and look how they've done here...i hope the same with ruutu.

Yeah, Ladd's pretty injury prone, but nowhere near Tuomo's level.

I just don't understand the logic behind this.

"Hey Ladd, you've done well lately. We'll trade you for a glass player who HASN'T done well lately".

Buy low, sell high. That's how you win. Remains to be seen if either is true (Ladd is at a high, Ruutu is at a low).

I believe that Ladd is not going to get much better, so I'd believe his value is probably as good as it will get. We won't really know for years.

I don't understand this trade on a few points.

1. Ladd is a younger player.

2. Ladd was finally getting hot for us.

3. Ladd could probably have commanded more in a trade.

4. If Ruutu is our solution at center, I don't know how good of a solution that is. I mean he has played more at wings. Why not try to get a true center who can win faceoffs and play the PK, which we need.

5. Ruutu is an RFA and makes much more than Ladd.

6. Just when we finally get on a roll, we trade a hot, young, exciting player for a guy it seems will move back to a position he hasn't played lately.

7. And finally, if Roddy hadn't gotten hurt, would we have made this trade? In my opinion, probably not. Reactionary moves aren't usually that good of an idea.

you would be too if your team had 20 wins that year, with 259 goals against. i mean whitney was a -26 at one point and i dont see complaints about him. same goes with matt cullens -23. and look how they've done here...i hope the same with ruutu.

very intelligent post.

could not agree with you more

I hope Ruutu lights it up and has shown more offensive potential in his career than Ladd as well.

I am just not seeing why people are saying Ruutu is injury prone than Ladd isn't. Please explain..if you can.

What kind of injury was his 15 game year?

A back and ankle injury, according to TSN, was Ruutu's injury in the 05-06. And, I agree, it's amazing people are slamming Ruutu as injury-prone when compared to Ladd. They have a similar injury-plagued history.

Looking on a positive side, Ruutu can play Center (clearly a need), he's above 50% on draws this year (another need), he was a player actively sought by Pittsburg and Ottawa (so TSN TV is saying this was a steal for JR to get him)........and he has a name that's cool to say..! :)

maybe we need to trust JR...seems to me he has done a great job thus far and let's not forget prior to Ladd catching fire lately that no one even knew if Ladd was even on the ice on most nights...he hardly ever showed uop anywhere.

Have to say i don't understand this trade espcially the way ladd was playing. Just cause you get one guy from chicago and he does good doesn't mean another one will to the same. Only time will tell if this was a good trade and if not i want to know what the heck JR was thinking.