The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

I am still shocked at this one, I literally just stared at the tv when they said it on TSN. I knew we were looking to get Ruutu but I just don't understand giving up big like we did to get him. Ladd was playing really well for us, he has 7 points in the last 7 games and I think this is a big chance to take in return. I'm with many others on here and am not happy with this move.

I saw a post on another board that said Ruutu is a vicious hitter and his play makes Scotty Walker look passive by comparison. There are some YouTube videos of some of his hits - they are wicked.

He is a punishing hitter and I'd rate him as a top 10 in that category among all forwards. He has some younger Gary Roberts-like qualities, just mean and nasty.

Well for anyone that thinks the canes aren't physical enough, I think this guy is the answer. He leads the hawks in hits, and could be another gem.

I agree with the move, although I really hate to see Ladd leave. Ladd had enormous potential and was playing the best I've seen him play. I do believe that the Hurricanes needed to increase the physicality of their play. I had seen Ruutu play a few times on tv; but didn't have him pegged as a person who Chicago would trade. Based on what I've read, I believe his skills are exactly what the Hurricanes needed to ensure that they didn't out-muscled and out-hit down the stretch. I wonder if he will play tonight? If Ruutu is as good as some folks are saying in putting pressure on the puck and in making big time hits, we'll all be as happy with him as with Samsonov and Corvo. If so, hats off to JR.

I like this trade, at worst it will end up even...at best Rutuu brings a much more physical game with him. JR is slowly making this team tougher and grittier while keeping the speed and skill at a high level. Only way we lose is f Rutuu gets hurt and Ladd doesnt. Both have shown to be injury prone so I think it could end up fairly even.

Rutuu is pesty like LaRose and gritty like Walker. He can play both wing and center like Cullen, and has playedon a very sub par team before now.

Sound familiar? Lets give this guy a chance cause he could be a great fit here with this system.

I like this trade, at worst it will end up even...at best Rutuu brings a much more physical game with him. JR is slowly making this team tougher and grittier while keeping the speed and skill at a high level. Only way we lose is f Rutuu gets hurt and Ladd doesnt. Both have shown to be injury prone so I think it could end up fairly even.

Rutuu is pesty like LaRose and gritty like Walker. He can play both wing and center like Cullen, and has playedon a very sub par team before now.

Sound familiar? Lets give this guy a chance cause he could be a great fit here with this system.

goint points lrccolt4, especially if brindy getting hurt provoked this trade. bad move by rutherford. ladd was moving up quickly and adding a lot to the lineup. you can't teach tough, i know that Ruutu has got it. i just hope he fits in.

Right on TSA. I agree 110%...

?'n is will he play along Patty tonight?

In the end, it's a trade between two underacheivers. Ladd has better career stats largely because our Canes have been the better team in recent past. How can you not score points playing along side Staal, Stillman, Williams, Brindy, et al?

Rutherford has a knack for finding players on the verge of a breakthru. His track record for developing drafts OTOH has been less desirable.

In the end, it's a trade between two underacheivers. Ladd has better career stats largely because our Canes have been the better team in recent past. How can you not score points playing along side Staal, Stillman, Williams, Brindy, et al?

Rutherford has a knack for finding players on the verge of a breakthru. His track record for developing drafts OTOH has been less desirable.

Ladd does not have better stats

Ruutus career high is 23 goals while Ladds is 11

ladds stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3640/c...qx0.XXrWyNivLYF[/post]

Ruutus stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2845/c...oRCYVFK1wJivLYF

Hey guys, im a hawks fan here in Chicago. Been reading both boards about this trade and it seems like neither side knows what they really got. I can tell you exactly what you are getting in Rutty but can you help me out with Ladd. Ive seen a handful of canes games, but obviously dont follow them like the hawks.

With Ruutu youre getting a player who will play his heart out every night. He hits like a freight train and is a tough S.O.B. along the boards. This past season hes struggled in Chicago, but i blame the system and coaching for that. He played well in the beginning of the year on the top two lines, slowed down and everybody panicked. We played him on the fourth line, and he didnt fit. He was miles ahead, skill wise, of the other two forwards. Solid on the third line, but still didnt have the skill around him to succeed.

He can play the wing or center. Hes actually more than capable at the draw, he will win far more than he loses, at least, from what ive seen. He has good hands, but his confidence was killed by a bad system in Chicago.

So help me out with ladd, what do we have here?

I don't like this trade. Ladd was finally showing he was worth the high draft pick,and team chemistry was the best it has been all year. The Canes have picked up their physical play of late, so unless this guy is a great faceoff man, I really don't think JR has done anything to improve this team. I hope this guy helps, but I really liked the way Ladd was playing. Good luck,Andrew!

Ladd does not have better stats/quote]

Sorry buddy. You got me that one. I had no idea Ladd's production was that low. OMG! Well, then why are people getting their panties in a knot for? I'm excited to see some grittiness like Anaheim had last year.

Terrible, terrible trade. JR must be off his rocker.

Ladd: 9 points in 9 games

Ruutu: 0 points in 32 games.

:angry: Why is it we jump all over Rutherfords back with NOTHING to back it up. Trades cannot be evaluated until after players play. Look at Corvo(few games) and Samosonov.

Kind of creative statistics you have there : Trying to compare apples to oranges to make your point I think.

But since you wanted to play the stat game:

GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW Shots Pct

LADD NHL Totals: 137 26 24 50 10 81 5 0 4 228 11.4

RUUTU 228 48 60 108 -31 259 13 0 5 390 12.3

R' actually has 2 assists in the last 9 games and has played less ice time than Ladd lately.

Here is Ruutu's overall stats this year.

Year GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots

Year to date: 2007-08 60 6 15 21 +3 75 71

What do all these numbers mean? Not squat. Playing for the Hawks cannot be compared to the Canes (Reference Samsonov).

Perhaps there just might be some chemistry with Samsonov to be had as well?

We will just have to wait and see. Judging by Rutherfords performance this year that works for me.

Hey guys, im a hawks fan here in Chicago. Been reading both boards about this trade and it seems like neither side knows what they really got. I can tell you exactly what you are getting in Rutty but can you help me out with Ladd. Ive seen a handful of canes games, but obviously dont follow them like the hawks.

With Ruutu youre getting a player who will play his heart out every night. He hits like a freight train and is a tough S.O.B. along the boards. This past season hes struggled in Chicago, but i blame the system and coaching for that. He played well in the beginning of the year on the top two lines, slowed down and everybody panicked. We played him on the fourth line, and he didnt fit. He was miles ahead, skill wise, of the other two forwards. Solid on the third line, but still didnt have the skill around him to succeed.

He can play the wing or center. Hes actually more than capable at the draw, he will win far more than he loses, at least, from what ive seen. He has good hands, but his confidence was killed by a bad system in Chicago.

thanks for the insight. I hope he excels here.

I wish Ladd well in Chicago for you guys as well.

He has been injured; however, his game this year has been as physical as i have ever seen him play in an Indian Head sweater. Seems like the injuries that kept him down have healed 100 percent and hes not even thinking about them. Believe it or not, you got a solid, solid player. If you use him right, he will be a keeper for sure.

We might see him tonight. JR says their trying like crazy to get him before puck drop. His flight is currently delayed 20 minutes, but says if no other delays, he should get here right in time.

Wow you guys really don't like this trade at all do you? I don't either but one problem with Ruutu he gets hurt a lot. Just what we need is a another player in a trade to put him on the IL.

twice in '05-'06 is not alot!

Welcome to the boards, dyavek. With Ladd, you're getting a physical forward that will get dirty in front of the net. An injury prone guy that hasn't lived up to potential (which was very high as the 4th overall pick). It was thought that he would be a goal scorer, but he never really showed a particularly accurate or hard shot in Carolina. I think his career role is still in question: Is he a Top 6 forward or is he a guy that will find a better career fit as a lower line grinder? Interesting to see how he'll pan out for you.

Wow you guys really don't like this trade at all do you? I don't either but one problem with Ruutu he gets hurt a lot. Just what we need is a another player in a trade to put him on the IL.

twice in '05-'06 is not alot!