The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

:angry: Why is it we jump all over Rutherfords back with NOTHING to back it up.

No doubt, and although I understand the emotional attachment some fans have to certain players it's so funny to read comments from people who have never seen him play.

It's not very illuminating to hear a movie reviewers take on a film they haven't screened either. ;)

WOW I never saw this trade coming. Wishing Ladd all the best. If I remember correctly some didn't think adding Samsonov to the roster was all that keen either but we all know how that has worked out for us. Let's hope the Ruutu trade will work just as well.

I'm loving this trade! Ruutu is definitely a keeper!! He has shown to have better offensive skills than Ladd not to mention he's as gritty as they come. This is going to to prove to be one of Carolina's best trades IMO. Give him time to learn this system and I'm willing to bet there will be Ruutu Jerseys all over the RBC Center in a year or so.

I think Ruuto should fit in nicely here, I think a lot of people have emotional attachment to ladd, but overall I think it was probably a fair deal for both sides, if nothing else we get a more physical player, which is what we will need if we are planning on going anywhere in the playoffs. Ladd was one of our few guys that would bury those dirty goals in-front of the net, but I think he was just in a stride here over the past few games hasn't really lived up to the potential overall. Best of luck in chicago though.

JR must have chicago on speed dial, guessing probably in his top 3 lol :lol:

Just to clarify, I'm not hating on Ruutu. I hope he does well, I really do.

I'm hating on JR, because there was no reason to give up Ladd. Chances are, we could have gotten Ruutu for a 2nd round pick.

The fact that the rest of our division are aquiring much better players at much lower prices doesn't help the situation. Caps get Fedorov for nobody and we trade Ladd for Ruutu? JR got played.

Scouting report on Ruutu

Former Hurricanes forward Kevyn Adams, now playing for the Blackhawks, is a big fan of Tuomo Ruutu.

"He's a great guy and good team guy," Adams said. "I'd have him on my team every day out of the week.

"He's a player that plays with a physical edge, a guy that competes hard, but he's a pretty skilled player. He's not a guy that just runs around and looks for hits."

Adams, who will be hosting Andrew Ladd at his house tonight, has missed most of the season after reconstructive knee surgery but has been skating for two weeks and hopes to be back in the lineup when the Canes visit Chicago on March 12.

Rutherford: Ruutu helps now, in future

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said the opportunity to pick up Tuomo Ruutu fills a need both now and in the future, with his ability to play center now with Rod Brind'Amour out or wing down the road.

"The first criteria we were trying to work on here was to get a two-positional player, somebody who can play center or wing," Rutherford said. "At some point our injured players are going to come back, either this year or next year, and we'll have that insurance, not only now but going forward if we have injuries in future years.

"On top of that, we view Tuomo as a really good player, a good two-way player, a hard-hitting guy with a good skill level. His points are a little off this year but he has already scored 20 goals in the league."

On Ruutu's history of injuries (he sat out the lockout with a shoulder injury and missed almost all of the 2005-06 season with back and ankle injuries): "It's a concern. When you look at both these players, there's similarities in what they've gone through from an injury point of view. We run that risk with either player. Both had their serious injuries and I wish Andrew well and to be healthy."

On whether Ruutu will play tonight against the Devils: "It's a scramble. We had to get him off the ice and he's scrambling now to catch an (afternoon) flight. ... It's delayed 20 minutes. That could give him a chance to get here. If he gets here, he'll be dressed in his blue jeans and whatnot, but we're trying to get him here for tonight."

On the possibility of another trade today: "I would be very surprised if something else happened. We're not going to be active. I'm sure if Washington called at five to three to offer us Alex Ovechkin, we'd be able to work something out."

Scouting report on Ruutu

Former Hurricanes forward Kevyn Adams, now playing for the Blackhawks, is a big fan of Tuomo Ruutu.

"He's a great guy and good team guy," Adams said. "I'd have him on my team every day out of the week.

"He's a player that plays with a physical edge, a guy that competes hard, but he's a pretty skilled player. He's not a guy that just runs around and looks for hits."

Adams, who will be hosting Andrew Ladd at his house tonight, has missed most of the season after reconstructive knee surgery but has been skating for two weeks and hopes to be back in the lineup when the Canes visit Chicago on March 12.

Rutherford: Ruutu helps now, in future

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said the opportunity to pick up Tuomo Ruutu fills a need both now and in the future, with his ability to play center now with Rod Brind'Amour out or wing down the road.

"The first criteria we were trying to work on here was to get a two-positional player, somebody who can play center or wing," Rutherford said. "At some point our injured players are going to come back, either this year or next year, and we'll have that insurance, not only now but going forward if we have injuries in future years.

"On top of that, we view Tuomo as a really good player, a good two-way player, a hard-hitting guy with a good skill level. His points are a little off this year but he has already scored 20 goals in the league."

On Ruutu's history of injuries (he sat out the lockout with a shoulder injury and missed almost all of the 2005-06 season with back and ankle injuries): "It's a concern. When you look at both these players, there's similarities in what they've gone through from an injury point of view. We run that risk with either player. Both had their serious injuries and I wish Andrew well and to be healthy."

On whether Ruutu will play tonight against the Devils: "It's a scramble. We had to get him off the ice and he's scrambling now to catch an (afternoon) flight. ... It's delayed 20 minutes. That could give him a chance to get here. If he gets here, he'll be dressed in his blue jeans and whatnot, but we're trying to get him here for tonight."

On the possibility of another trade today: "I would be very surprised if something else happened. We're not going to be active. I'm sure if Washington called at five to three to offer us Alex Ovechkin, we'd be able to work something out."

On the possibility of another trade today: "I would be very surprised if something else happened. We're not going to be active. I'm sure if Washington called at five to three to offer us Alex Ovechkin, we'd be able to work something out." [/i]

That's unfortunate. I would have thought with all the moves in the division, JR would have realized we can't just sit back.

There has to be another deal on the table. A one-for-one trade doesn't address our #1 problem, which is depth. I hope a multi-player deal is on the horizon.

Depth where? Defense, if you ask me. Forwards? Got 'em:

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Ruutu-Cullen-Samsanov

Walker-Aucoin-Bayda

Brookbank-Letowski-Conboy

Hamilton-Eaves

Who goes away when Eaves comes back? He's NOT a 4th liner. Do you drop Bayda down to the 4th line with Brookbank and Letowski?

At D, Got 'em:

Wesley-Corvo

Hedican-Gleason

Kaberle-Wallin

OK, maybe we don't got 'em beyond the top 2 pairings. So D is where we look.

Pitkanen and Roloson in EDM For Grahame and Kaberle?

Liles in COL? But now for who? Assume they want a Forward...

i was real upset when i first heard about this one, but ruutu has serious potential, and it seems like injuries have slowed him, plus he hasnt fit in this new chicago system. here, however...maybe it will work.

still though...giving up andrew ladd is something i think JR will live to regret. im very dissapointed to lose him.

No more deals for us. We have very little left to offer anybody. No multiple trades. JR still seams that this team can win the division. I would agree with that before the trade deadline. Washington has position themselves to make a serious run for the divisional title.

I really thought Ladd played good in the last game, but I can also see what JR may have been thinking in this trade. Ruutu adds more grit to our team and can play different positions unlike Ladd. In our system, there is a great chance that Ruutu will excel further than Ladd had.

On the possibility of another trade today: "I would be very surprised if something else happened. We're not going to be active. I'm sure if Washington called at five to three to offer us Alex Ovechkin, we'd be able to work something out." [/i]

I was hoping for a back up in net at least.

I've watched Ruutu a few times on CI over the years and am stoked to get him. Love the energy skill and toughness - especially the toughness which has been somewhat lacking since A. Wards departure.

I agree that Ladd has picked it up lately but on balance looks like a good trade to me if we can resign the guy this summer.

That's unfortunate. I would have thought with all the moves in the division, JR would have realized we can't just sit back.

Just because he made moves before the deadline doesn't mean he has sat back and in fact as been pretty active. Corvo and Eaves, remember? Samsonov? Now Ruutu? That's plenty of movement for a team in first place.

Sure the Caps improved with Huet but Fedorov isn't the same guy any more so there is little reason to try and play keep up w/ the Caps just for the sake of trying to counter their moves. If there isn't a trade out there that improves your team, you don't make it. Simple as that.

Do we know if he can play tonight?

I hope so.

NJ has kicked out butts and maybe some physical play

can help the Canes establish themselves and

have some confidence to beat NJ hopefully

also go Wild tonight as well. :D

Ruutu has killed penalties for the Hawks, however lately he hasnt been so hot on the PK. Actually, the last PK that I watched Ruutu play he took two minor penalties and left the team down 5 on 3 with a couple of bad penalties.

The one thing he does do is take some bad penalties. Gets a lot of charging calls for jumping into his checks, watch for it, he does it a lot. He disguises it well, but he gets called for it a fair amount. But overall he is a solid player. I wish him luck and hope he does well for you. I will be following you guys through the remainder of the season.

Just because he made moves before the deadline doesn't mean he has sat back and in fact as been pretty active. Corvo and Eaves, remember? Samsonov? Now Ruutu? That's plenty of movement for a team in first place.

Sure the Caps improved with Huet but Fedorov isn't the same guy any more so there is little reason to try and play keep up w/ the Caps just for the sake of trying to counter their moves. If there isn't a trade out there that improves your team, you don't make it. Simple as that.

May be Ovechkin can carry Federov's Cane......do they make Jazzy's that can go on the ice?. I don't see how Huet for Kolzig is an improvement...I'd take Kozig over Huet any day....even when considering the age of each player.

I'm happy with what we have gotten and don't think trading Ruutu for Ladd was making a trade for the sake of maing a trade. JR has proven in the past that he does not do that.