The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

Ruutu has killed penalties for the Hawks, however lately he hasnt been so hot on the PK. Actually, the last PK that I watched Ruutu play he took two minor penalties and left the team down 5 on 3 with a couple of bad penalties.

The one thing he does do is take some bad penalties. Gets a lot of charging calls for jumping into his checks, watch for it, he does it a lot. He disguises it well, but he gets called for it a fair amount. But overall he is a solid player. I wish him luck and hope he does well for you. I will be following you guys through the remainder of the season.

He gets little more than situational kill minutes, as he isn't a primary 1st unit killer nor even a regular on the 2nd unit if everyone is healthy. He'll come in on the 2nd unit if Sharp or one of the other primary killers goes to the box.

Yes, on penalties he will also get those questionable hit calls that could be construed as dirty. He makes the opposing players stay alert though.

I really like this trade. I'm sad to see Andrew Ladd go, but I'm really happy what we got in return. Ruutu's got a great combination of skill and grit and a bit of a nasty streak. We're all a lot more familiar with Jarkko, so imagine if Jarkko was as good a hockey player as he was an agitator--that's what we get with Tuomo. Besides, the Hurricanes have needed a Finn ever since Sami Kapanen left. ;) So let's all say "Hauska tutustua!" to Tuomo Ruutu!

I really like this trade. I think Ladd was too soft, got pushed around too much and didn't seem like he could impose his will on opposing players. To his credit, he was best in front of the net only if and when he positioned himself there.

Ruutu is going to be awesome. I'm calling it right now. He will certainly impose his will and singlehandedly raise this team's grit and will also be able to score. I am so excited about this. I think he will thrive in this system! He is perfect for fast-paced, full-out action.

I love the recent acquisitions in Samsonov, Eaves, Corvo and Ruutu. Awesome work JR...

Chicago is the new Philadelphia. :)

Yes, the ex-Hawks list includes Hamilton, Ruutu, Samsonov and Leighton. Chicago's ex-Canes include C. Adams, Ladd and K. Adams who will be doubly represented (along with Samsonov) on the jersey numbers list if Ruutu now takes his old #15.

Ok I can understand liking Ruutu--but its ok to give up on 22 yo old player and call him underachieving in not even 2 full years of hockey but still be excited about the "potential" of a 25 yo player who has sat out most of 2 seasons because of injury and played 4 seasons in the NHL without coming close to being the player that he was advertised to be? Does that really make sense?

And yes Ladd has played on better teams, but on the 4th line (sometimes the 3rd) and Ruutu was almost always 3rd line and up. So when Ladd got first line minutes he produced 10 pts in the last eleven games. With the exception of the NJ games, this team has played better during that run than any time past the end of Nov. Ruutu?--no goals since Dec 12 and what 6 pt in his last 21?

Now I like Ruutu and I think he will work out--but I think he could have been had for far less than what the Canes paid--the fact that Ottawa and others didn't get him shows he wasn't worth that much to them.

:( Obviously I am not happy. Trading Ladd for a slightly older and more injured version of himself. Seems like a trade just to trade.

I realllllly hope this improves the team, because I am really sad. I suppose if it helps the team become better though I can't be too mad.

It just doesn't make sense.

Can i ask a simple question without being snippy?

What is so great about 9 goals and 9 assists with a career high of 11 goals

Yes Ladd has played better latlely but to me

has basically been an average player at best until the last 2 to 3 weeks.

I do not know much about Ruutu but his numbers are better than Ladds and has a rep for

physical play. I think he has a chance to do quite well and would love to see him play with

Eaves and Samsonov to help create some room for the shify forwards.

I wish Ladd well and hope he blossoms and Ruttu blossoms as well.

I do not know much about Ruutu but his numbers are better than Ladds and has a rep for

physical play. I think he has a chance to do quite well and would love to see him play with

Eaves and Samsonov to help create some room for the shify forwards.

I wish Ladd well and hope he blossoms and Ruttu blossoms as well.

Ladd has had injury problems, that is why his numbers haven't been better. And he is 22.

And Ruutu isn't going to play with Sammy and Eaves. He will be playing the third line...where Aucoin was/is.

I think this is a good trade. It kills me when every time we trade people come on here and call for JR's head. Last time I checked our franchise has done pretty well for itself with JR at the helm.

Look people, it is a business. Ladd might have been a great kid. SOme of you ladies might have tought he was cute, or whatever. He has not lived up to what they wanted out of him. Ruutu is a solid player and can be great for us. Each year we keep saying this is Ladd's year and each year he plays average. Did you ever stop to think that maybe him going somewhere else that it might be good for him?

Everybody dogged Samsonov when we went and got him and called JR an idiot. But that seemed to have turned out well. In fact, during introductions the other night he had one of the loudest cheers from the croud. Not long ago people were screaming on here of a trade. Some even wanted Lavi fired. Stop. And for whoever you are that wanted JR to go to Toronto, maybe you should go watch Ladd in Chicago and be a fan there. There are plenty of us that want JR right here.

Let the hockey people do the hockey business. Say so long and good luck to Ladd, and hello Ruutu. Change is good.

Great trade by our boys in the front office. I, for one, have full support and confidence in you and our team>

GO CANES!

Ladd has had injury problems, that is why his numbers haven't been better. And he is 22.

And Ruutu isn't going to play with Sammy and Eaves. He will be playing the third line...where Aucoin was/is.

thanks for the info.

I am being honest saying I am not that impressed with Ladd so far.

I know a lot of people love the guy but I would like to have seen more from him

than 24 career goals.

I wish him well though as he did seem to have been getting better lately

I know very little about Ruutu except for youtube videos

Here is my 2 cents on this trade...(Remember I stated back when we got Corvo, that he would be a great asset to this Hurricanes Team...Love it when I am right!)

Ladd and Ruutu are both RFA's at the end of this season.

Ladd Salary - 0.984 (07/08 Base) 0.850 (07/08 Bonus)

Ruutu Salary - 2.250 (07/08 Base)

I am hoping Ruutu will turn out like Samsonov has and find his A game with the Canes!!! (That would be AWESOME!!!)

I believe Ruutu offers more to the table than Ladd...more physical and adds more toughness to the team and faster too and puck handling skills are better.

(Based on what I see...I have the NHL Center Ice Package)

Go Canes and hope they beat the devils tonight (looking forward to seeing Eaves finally play tonight)

considering Ladd is 3 years younger, and usually plays 3-5 minutes less a game than Ruutu has historically played on lower lines as well--maybe the question should be why hasn't ruutu done more?

Ladd's draft class is just starting to make itself known--maybe 8-10 players from Ladd's class have more goals in the NHL than he does--and that included Ovie and Malkin. Ruutu's class should be getting ready to dominate and Ruutu's isn't in that same the shining stars of his age group. So instead of looking at what Ladd has done compared to Whitney and Brind'amour, look at what he has done compared to his class before you call him a bust.

And I could care less if Ladd if gets traded, if the team gets better--that's business. But the problem comes with how much they gave up to get Ruutu. If a second round pick would have sufficed--why give up Ladd. Or a second rounder and Bayda or somebody--the Canes would still have Ladd to use in a later deal. Ruutu isn't an obvious upgrade to Ladd and the team doesn't need a shake up at this point. So the question isn't is Ladd bad or Ruutu better--the question is did Rutherford pay a quarter for a 10 cent cigar?

And for the physical side--Ladd is plenty physical when he needs to be and has toned it to (a) stay healthy and (B) to better fit with the higher lines. The knock on Ruutu (from the Hawks fan) is Ruutu's propensity to take the stupid penalty--that's fine from the grinders who are sending a message--that's not good from someone who needs to be on the ice.

Fair question. My biggest problem with Ladd, even allowing for the fact that he is young, is that I didn't see improvement. He'd get more ice time and for a stretch of games play with intensity but way too often he was invisible. There were physical setbacks but I also questioned his mindset. He just didn't play hard or smart all the time.

He has some good physical tools but he really never showed progress there and I always thought he had a below average set of hands. When he was determined to play he was a nice physical presence who would be willing to go down low but there wasn't much more to his game and he wasn't progressing to be a top-flight power forward.

I, for one, do not consider Ladd a bust. I think this move was made because we needed depth at center. If we lose another center, Ruutu can play the position for us (and apparently wins a fair percentage of his draws). If our regular centers are available, he plays wing. Ruutu adds a lot of versatility that we may need to make a playoff run. He hits hard and is fast. I think Ruutu is going to do great here and I wish Ladd good luck with Chicago.

For a team that needs to get younger, there was no reason we should have traded a young player. A draft pick would have been fine. If the Caps could get Huet for a 2nd, we could have gotten Ruutu for a 2nd (possibley lower).

I believe the move was partially made because we have Eaves coming back in, and we need someone who can be a solid center. Ladd has potential but he just hasn't improved at all. He has been hot, just like all players are at some point, but he is just a roster/depth player right now for us. Pretty even trade for both sides I'd say.

At the very least--Chicago is loaded with prospects in college and overseas that they need to sign by the end of the year or lose. Why none of those were thrown into the deal--I have no idea. If all we wanted was another center to win faceoffs--we could have gotten Perrault from the hawks for less. Again, no problems with Ruutu--but the price paid was not equal to the goods received. Could Ladd not progress and Ruutu shine to make it look worthwhile? Sure--but it still doesn't negate the fact that he could have been had for cheaper.

For a team that needs to get younger, there was no reason we should have traded a young player. A draft pick would have been fine. If the Caps could get Huet for a 2nd, we could have gotten Ruutu for a 2nd (possibley lower).

A 21 year old vs. a 25 year old...not that big of difference. I look at it as Ruutu has more experience and is still young in the NHL.

Remember a team can only have 23 players on their active roster and dress 18. You can't keep everybody.

What the Habs got for Huet, a UFA, has little bearing on what the Hawks would require for Ruutu, an RFA. Two different GM's, two different sets of needs, and two different classes of free agents.

An RFA is an "asset" over which you have control and is then going to be of greater value b/c you can retain his rights going forward. To assume they would have moved Ruutu for a pick is wild speculation especially given their existing pipeline of young players.

At the very least--Chicago is loaded with prospects in college and overseas that they need to sign by the end of the year or lose. Why none of those were thrown into the deal--I have no idea. If all we wanted was another center to win faceoffs--we could have gotten Perrault from the hawks for less. Again, no problems with Ruutu--but the price paid was not equal to the goods received. Could Ladd not progress and Ruutu shine to make it look worthwhile? Sure--but it still doesn't negate the fact that he could have been had for cheaper.

No disrespect but if he could have been had for cheaper... he would have.

Ruutu brings different assets (that we need) than Ladd, and Ladd has never fully shown all his. How can this be anything but even yet? If you want to see a lopsided trade, look at Monreal. Like Stormrider said, Ruutu is here for a while, Huet may end up being a rental.