The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

At the very least--Chicago is loaded with prospects in college and overseas that they need to sign by the end of the year or lose. Why none of those were thrown into the deal--I have no idea. If all we wanted was another center to win faceoffs--we could have gotten Perrault from the hawks for less. Again, no problems with Ruutu--but the price paid was not equal to the goods received. Could Ladd not progress and Ruutu shine to make it look worthwhile? Sure--but it still doesn't negate the fact that he could have been had for cheaper.

No disrespect but if he could have been had for cheaper... he would have.

Ruutu brings different assets (that we need) than Ladd, and Ladd has never fully shown all his. How can this be anything but even yet? If you want to see a lopsided trade, look at Monreal. Like Stormrider said, Ruutu is here for a while, Huet may end up being a rental.

ladd is pretty injury prone himself... but the whole point is that rutuu is a center and thats what we need right now with rod out.. and to be honest ladd hasnt lived up to his expectations here and rutuu hasnt in chicago so maybe the same thing will happen with rutuu here that happened with samsonov

kinda wrong statement....how about Hamilton?! he was actually good and visible for what 8 games?!

We needed a center, we got a center. I will miss Ladd and hope him nothing but success but I believe that we made the Hurricanes a better team with this trade. We'll see. My fingers are crossed.

Just look at it like this..Ruutu almost retired at the end of last year because of back problems. This should be great considering our team is the most injury prone team ever.

well i, for one, was NOT happy about this trade.... but that's just because i'm in chicago and ruuty is my favorite player.

i'm not sure how you've gotten the idea that he's an injury prone player... his last two seasons have been almost entirely healthy. i would say that's healthy enough to at least break an injury pattern.

he does hit hard, as already pointed out, and does occasionally take bad penalties, but it's not as frequent of a thing as has been insinuated. he gets a little carried away sometimes, but who doesn't? he's a passionate player, and in all his years here, i never saw him take a shift off.

his lack of scoring this year is another issue all together. while originally the intent of the organization was for him to focus more on his scoring, his role changed. he was put on a line with our kids (toews and kane) and our more skilled players (havlat and lang) to be used both as protection, and to create space for them to work their magic. he had very good production when he was on these lines. once our coach decided to play musical lines and jostle him everywhere from the first to fourth lines, of course his production slowed. he wasn't given any consistency and had his ice time cut somewhat significantly.

if your management and your team can provide him with a consistent message, a consistent line and a consistent purpose instead of bouncing him all over the place, i think he'll do VERY well there.

take care of my boy, carolina!

10-06-0730.jpg

Just look at it like this..Ruutu almost retired at the end of last year because of back problems. This should be great considering our team is the most injury prone team ever.

this sure scares the hell out of me, i cant deal with any more injury prone nonsense. if he stays healthy, this might be a good trade. i just have to tell myself this is a good trade, to trust JR. after all, ive been wrong before, i was the guy screaming at the television when i found out that we traded away danny markov for one justin williams. that worked out, no?

I'm really sad to see Ladd go because he's really been playing well of late, he's young, and of course he helped us win the Cup (also he's a Red Sox fan. ;) ). Having said that though I can see the logic in the deal. We needed some depth at Center, Ruutu has been a good player in the past, he's relatively young, and he makes us more physical, while keeping our good team speed. Getting out of Chicago has helped Samsonov, so maybe not it will be able to help Ruutu get back to being a good scorer again.

I just can't wait to see him and Eaves tonight, and hopefully Seidenburg in the near future.

well i, for one, was NOT happy about this trade.... but that's just because i'm in chicago and ruuty is my favorite player.

i'm not sure how you've gotten the idea that he's an injury prone player... his last two seasons have been almost entirely healthy. i would say that's healthy enough to at least break an injury pattern.

he does hit hard, as already pointed out, and does occasionally take bad penalties, but it's not as frequent of a thing as has been insinuated. he gets a little carried away sometimes, but who doesn't? he's a passionate player, and in all his years here, i never saw him take a shift off.

his lack of scoring this year is another issue all together. while originally the intent of the organization was for him to focus more on his scoring, his role changed. he was put on a line with our kids (toews and kane) and our more skilled players (havlat and lang) to be used both as protection, and to create space for them to work their magic. he had very good production when he was on these lines. once our coach decided to play musical lines and jostle him everywhere from the first to fourth lines, of course his production slowed. he wasn't given any consistency and had his ice time cut somewhat significantly.

if your management and your team can provide him with a consistent message, a consistent line and a consistent purpose instead of bouncing him all over the place, i think he'll do VERY well there.

10-06-0730.jpg

thanks for the insight and welcome to the boards :)

If you take care of ours. ;) Looks like we're turning into Blackhawks East, and you guys are Hurricane's West.

If you take care of ours. ;) Looks like we're turning into Blackhawks East, and you guys are Hurricane's West.

You know, except for us being one of the oldest (player-wise) in the league and them being one of the youngest. :P

thanks for the insight and welcome to the boards :)

thanks! i'm sure i'll become somewhat regular around here since you've got my boy. just don't tell the hawks boards i'm cheating on them ;)

we sure will! i really like what i've seen so far from the others we've gotten from carolina, and it looks like our hawks have done pretty well with your club. i'm glad it's been mutually beneficial.

Hey Carolina, Chicago guy here. Ok, here is my take on Ruutu; I hated to see him traded. He was one of the hardest working Hawks in my opinion. He is a HUGE physical presence on the ice and I think you fans will fall in love with this guy very quick. He is one who will fight in the corners and dig out the puck. He is a hard forechecker. He finishes his checks HARD which is a rarity these days for a forward. Most of all, he does have some offensive skill. This year he is in a funk. In my opinion, I think it is because of all the injuries and line juggling that has been going on. He couldn't really find his role this year. But hopefully in Carolina he will. You should see some of the highlight goals that he has had in his short career. Granted we didn't see them this year. But look at that goal he scored in the worlds (I'm guessing that is on the youtube link posted above). Hopefully when he becomes a rfa, Hawks will get him back. I was bummed to see him leave.

On the lighter side, funny story. This year, Ruutu was arrested for robbery. It so happens the Blackhawks practice facility is not in the best of neighborhoods. After practice, he was jogging in a black hoodie and black track pants. Well police came up behind him and arrested him because he fit the description of someone who robbed a apartment complex earlier. He spent some time in back of the squad car and at the station. When the police realized they made a mistake, he laughed and signed autographs for all the policemen. Then he was interviewed and chalked up the experience as being 'fun' and understood. Kind of a class act. Could you imagine if it was some high profile athlete in another sport. Not prejudice at all, but I could totally see the race card being played....save that for another topic. Anyway...good luck Ruutie. We'll miss you here in chicago!

I like this trade, at worst it will end up even...at best Rutuu brings a much more physical game with him. JR is slowly making this team tougher and grittier while keeping the speed and skill at a high level. Only way we lose is f Rutuu gets hurt and Ladd doesnt. Both have shown to be injury prone so I think it could end up fairly even.

Rutuu is pesty like LaRose and gritty like Walker. He can play both wing and center like Cullen, and has playedon a very sub par team before now.

Sound familiar? Lets give this guy a chance cause he could be a great fit here with this system.

I agree 100%. A lot of people here seem stuck on players rather than the team. Plus, not many seem able to give someone a chance and cut them to pieces before they even lace up for US. Not many liked the Samsonov trade nor the Corvo trade until they saw them play in our system. I respect the moves JR has made in the past, so why jump down his throat now? I see this as a way to make us tougher without having to fight, and we got a center that we need because we're thin in that position. Let's see what the comments are in a few weeks. Then flame the deal if it turns out bad. ;)

If true, you guys will ove Ruutu. Great hitter along the boards. He will fly into corners and dig out pucks for your scorers. I will miss Ruutu. He is my favorite. I will follow his career.

BTW, do these 2 teams realize there are 28 other teams to trade with?

LOL, yeah

Ladd has 4 points in his last 5, Ruutu has 1 in his last 5. :(

Laddy will be missed, but I haven't really seen Ruutu, so I'll just be quiet until watching him play tonight, on the computer because Versus are sellouts. If he makes it ;)

But yeah, they are even, but we needed a center, and have plenty wingers.

First of all everyone needs to take their emotions out of their thought process and look at this as a positive.Ladd hasn't lived up to his potential,(also Ladd is very injury prone)yes he has been playing very well lately and thats what probably made his stock go up.Ruutu is a hard nosed player that is very versitile and brings some more grit to the team(aka-Scott Walker).So i know people seem to have gotten their feelings hurt but as far as hockey talk ,its not a bad trade.WE have to move forward, so look at the positive side and move on , in a couple weeks we will probably saying the same about Ruutu that we do about Samsonov!!

Well, Ruutu will give Cole a run for his money on the leading the team with hits. Plus, from what I see on YouTube I like it. But then again, who knows how old those clips are.

Nice...hope we see more of this!

Welcome to the board, you could be the first from Finland here since Sami Kappanen was here.

that's pretty cool that we have a fan from Finland. I bet he knows more about Tuommo than any of us combined.

I'm also disappointed. I was hoping for a better center, a scoring one. We'll have to see how Ruutu affects the lines. And with ATL getting alot, Washington really improving their team at the Deadline, I'm upset something more rattling didn't happen. And I say that knowing if someone better was picked up, my favorite player Cole would have been involved.

The positive: The Trade was fair, equal gains for both team. We get a hardworking, good work ethic centerman, they get a scoring winger who just hit an injury this season, but has just as much ethic and ability. We also get our center without giving up Cole, more of an impact player than Ladd.

The Negative: How fast can Ruutu get here? :P

I think everyone comparing him to Samsonov are just as flawed as those hating the trade. Yes, Samsonov is doing well here, surprising most of the league. And yes, Ruutu could also do well here.

But on the flip side of that coin, Ruutu could be similar to another recent deadline pickup by the Canes. Or have we forgotten Carter that easily?

Forget it... I'm not reading 7 pages worth of "He sucks, forget it" "Lets not judge him"...

Ladd was doing great right now... sometime ago, people were saying that he wasn't living up to par. Traded him for Ruuto, who I thought was a bigger prospect than Ladd, who has played center, is a great checker...

Let's not just throw him under the bus, in front of the bus, on top of the bus, etc... Let's see what the kid can do first. Maybe he might click with Samsonov, might be able to help out Hamilton if he comes back up here again... let's just give chances 1st. JR has done some things in the past that made us wonder, and a good percentage of them have turned out pretty good. Brindamour, Williams come to mind, but I'm eating dinner at the same time and don't feel like exploring who else.

I know we've had some crappy trades in the past, but lets give chance first. This might work out for us. It might even be in the works for another trade in the offseason. ;)