The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

I think everyone comparing him to Samsonov are just as flawed as those hating the trade. Yes, Samsonov is doing well here, surprising most of the league. And yes, Ruutu could also do well here.

But on the flip side of that coin, Ruutu could be similar to another recent deadline pickup by the Canes. Or have we forgotten Carter that easily?

I forgot about him during the last few games of last season. <_<

I think everyone comparing him to Samsonov are just as flawed as those hating the trade. Yes, Samsonov is doing well here, surprising most of the league. And yes, Ruutu could also do well here.

But on the flip side of that coin, Ruutu could be similar to another recent deadline pickup by the Canes. Or have we forgotten Carter that easily?

I don't know if anyone is expecting a lot of production from Ruutu, Ruutu as of right now is a 3rd/4th liner, possibly 2nd if needed, a very gritty player. Carter had scored points in the past, and I think JR felt he could do it again.

From Luke:

Staal: Tough to see Ladd go

Eric Staal had a chance to say goodbye to Andrew Ladd after the pregame skate, before Ladd left to pack his bags for Chicago. The way Ladd had been playing at the time of the trade, and the friendships he built in the dressing room, made it tough on the Canes to see him go.

I will definitely miss Ladd, but from what I know of Ruutu, I think we did alright in the trade department. It's really a "wait and see" situation, just like Corvo and Eaves. Could be Ruutu needed the change of scenery and he'll do well for us.

Forget it... I'm not reading 7 pages worth of "He sucks, forget it" "Lets not judge him"...

I'm with you there.

I will say, however, that my initial reaction to hearing about this was, in a word, negative. Ladd finally shows some life and JR ships him out. I know JR has had some successes with these reclamation projects in the past, Sammy being the most recent, but that doesn't guarantee success this time around. I'll wait and see what happens before passing any real judgement though.

Don't ge me wrong, I loved Ladd. Mainly because he was homegrown talent that was developing quite nicely.. but still, I'd like to see where this goes.

I didn't even think about the fact that Eric Staal and Andrew Ladd were friends. Chad LaRose lost his buddy Mike Commodore, and now this. Staal's statements amount to, "this new dude better be awesome!" But part of being a professional athlete is dealing with your friends being traded or signing with other teams.

I've got mixed feelings about what happened today.

To be honest, I really hate to see Ladd go. I thought he had a future here where he could be dominant. We never gave him the opportunity to succeed and I hope it doesn't bite us in the end. IMHO, he should have been getting top 2 line duties all year long yet he was amazingly relegated to 3rd line.

That being said, I like picking up Ruutu. I think he can bring in the grittiness that we need and he'll fit right in with our style. He'll be a staple on our team for a long time if he can stay healthy, and thats promising.

Now, having gotten that out of the way, I will make some comments. I would have much rather given up Cole for Ruutu. If we're going to get an injured prone guy, why not give up our injury prone guy as well. Plus, Cole probably would have allowed us to get one more player from Chicago. I can't believe our day ended with only Ladd getting dealt. With Colorado having taken on so much today, we should have picked up Liles, period. Especially when you look at how the rest of the SE improved itself for not only this year but also the future. Right now, I'd say we're lookin at being a middle of the pack SE team next year at best with the pickups that Atlanta, and especially Washington had today. Not good, we dropped the ball bigtime this afternoon.

I will say this, I have noticed that MANY of the same people that have been ripping into Ruutu on here are the same people that absolutely ripped into our last 2 pickups (Samsonov and the Corvo-Eaves trade). Those worked out very well for us, and this one will too. IMHO, though... there should have been more

Nobody on these boards is saying Ruutu sucks, so shut you pie hole. A lot of people don't like the trade, I'm one of em. Ladd FINALLY gets hot...gets on a scoring line with 2 talented guys and then he's traded. JR musta had the hots for Rutuu.

I think Ruutu will do fine, that doesn't bother me. I've followed him a bit and he's a checking line center. The team didn't need a checking line center. The team needed a scoring center to pick up Rod's lost production, and JR did NOT get that.

And. actually Ladd DOES HAVE BETTER STATS this season. Has 3 more goals than Ruutu and only 3 less points in 17 fewer games, so this year Ladd's PPG is higher...SO HA!!

Once again, I don't dislike Ruutu, I just dislike JR giving up Ladd to get him.

Not that it means anything, but every "expert" I've heard analyze the trade says that it's pretty even, underachieving youngsters, but that Ladd has more offensive upside.

Yeah, because that's exactly what our last-place PK needs. Practice makes perfect, right? :lol:

Indeed, that's what I was thinking "Hmm we definitely let could use a PK right now...."

Indeed, that's what I was thinking "Hmm we definitely let could use a PK right now...."

Hey, if you're gonna make fun of em for taking penalties, give him due props for the hitting and physicality he brings.

Hey, if you're gonna make fun of em for taking penalties, give him due props for the hitting and physicality he brings.

I definitely will when I see it. 1 hit so far..it was very nice.

If it's going to be a tradeoff of a penalty for a hit, I'd rather him just not hit anyone. ;)

No penalties on the hit, he only got a penalty for holding.

Ruutu looking good so far, two huge hits, an assist, and he drew a penalty.

I can see the logic with this trade given the BrindAmour injury. We need someone who can double as center if we get another injury. We also need someone who can win a face off for the same reasons. We'll see how it pans out though I thought Ladd was improving.

Ruutu, welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes. Trust me on this, you will enjoy the weather here in Carolina a LOT more than in Chicago (especially this time of year). Keep working hard, and we just may try to keep you around for awhile :P .

I know, I know - it is only one game - but it sure is a nice start.

If true, you guys will ove Ruutu. Great hitter along the boards. He will fly into corners and dig out pucks for your scorers. I will miss Ruutu. He is my favorite. I will follow his career.

BTW, do these 2 teams realize there are 28 other teams to trade with?

JAKOBEAST you are the master of understatement. Great, hitter check. dig out pucks for your scorers, check. will love Ruutu, Check mate! :D

If it's going to be a tradeoff of a penalty for a hit, I'd rather him just not hit anyone. ;)

Me too. ;) And if Rocket Richard is going to overskate the puck occasionally, I'd rather he slow down. Yeah, right.

In a game that was called, shall we say loosely, that holding call was out of place.

yeah so for getting to the game from the airport during the national anthem, stepping on the ice in an unfamiliar setting, and playing with a team he's never played with before; i would say Ruutu had an amazing first game. It's actually not that bad of a trade. Ruutu's an energetic, agressive forward, and he's bringing things to the ice that Ladd didn't. I thought it was a good trade.