The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Patchell84

Goodbye Andrew Ladd, Hello Ruutu

Gee, seems to me there was a guy named Samsonov who was struggling in Chicago also. Anyone want to nix that trade now. Get It???

Right Samsonov worked out brilliantly but Hamilton, not so much. Thus before Ruutu showed up the canes luck was 50%. So far Ruutu looks like a good mesh...Here's hoping for 2 out of 3 being good.

Ruttus physical play last night was more than Ive seen from Ladd in 3 years, not to mentiuon Ruutus ability to gain/retain puck possession down low.

The other thing that jumps out at you is that Ruutu is a much better skater, passes extremely well and has a very good feel for the game that I never saw in Ladd. I'm not trying to bash the newly departed b/c Ladd is a good guy but too many times he seemed to lack the instinctive play that Ruutu has always shown when I've seen him.

Ladd always seemed to try and step up to be the physical force the team needed, at some times successful at others not as much, while Ruutu does it naturally.

The added benefit of Ruutu's presence will help Cole even though they won't be on the same line. Too many nights Cole was the only forward who was aggressively forechecking and hitting and Ruutu will take a lot of that burden off of him which in some games seemed to wear him down.

Hello all, You just got one more fan from Finland due yesterday's trades... For Tuomo, you already saw how he is like on ice, and lot of other guys have given quite correct evaluations of him. In Finland he was quite popular when he left to NA, but I think hype has come a bit down after his first season due his injuries... I think now we (Ruutu fans) are just waiting for him to finally get back to the stage and evolve into a player he is supposed to be. Chicago was not a correct place for him.

I hope in Carolina he will be given some offensive role as well, and not just be put checking in 4th line. Of course I also hope he will have a good future in there.

I think his role will be upgraded here. We already depend on speed which he has.

This may be slightly off subject, but does anyone know if Ruutu is related to the Pens Jarkko Ruutu? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. How funny would that be since Jordan Staal is in Pittsburgh....

It's his brother.

Yeah, pretty interesting, we now have three guys on our team whose brothers play on other teams; Ruutu, Staal, Brookbank...

During one of Brookbank's fights last night, the one against Clarkson I think, his brother was on the ice too and it could have been shades of the Primeau brothers if Sheldon was closer to the action. It was funny to see him banging on his stick on the ice in support of Clarkson after his brother's fight though.

The Brookbanks did get to sit in the penalty box at one point across from on another so maybe they got caught up on some family business. ;)

When you think now of Ruutu, Conboy and Brookbank the Canes have morphed from choir boys to bad boys fairly quickly. Next show vs. the NYR.

I think we have made a mistake in getting RUUTU. He is obviously injury prone. Not even one game and already has 40 stitches. Getting his head in the way of Elias's stick was irresponsible and a sign he will be an issue injury wise. I say we got hosed.

PS If you take this seriously you need a pill (or maybe a second one). If this were Hedican I would expect a post like this.

:lol:

"not hockey, just a little off season fun" (sorry, didn't know how to pick this off of that post earlier)

I know how the Finnish enjoy their heavy metal! \m/

I'm liking this pick up. Maybe he has Megadeth playing in an ipod underneath his helmet while on the ice. Here's to a great rest of the season with the Canes.

I think we have made a mistake in getting RUUTU. He is obviously injury prone. Not even one game and already has 40 stitches. Getting his head in the way of Elias's stick was irresponsible and a sign he will be an issue injury wise. I say we got hosed.

i'm thinking- 'i know i'm new here, but there's NO WAY these guys could think this!'

thanks for the laugh ;)

i'm thinking- 'i know i'm new here, but there's NO WAY these guys could think this!'

thanks for the laugh ;)

Nah, we know it is part of becoming a Hurricane to get sick or injured the first week. Now Ruutu doesn't have to worry about it and he can just play! LOL :lol:

During one of Brookbank's fights last night, the one against Clarkson I think, his brother was on the ice too and it could have been shades of the Primeau brothers if Sheldon was closer to the action. It was funny to see him banging on his stick on the ice in support of Clarkson after his brother's fight though.

The Brookbanks did get to sit in the penalty box at one point across from on another so maybe they got caught up on some family business. ;)

When you think now of Ruutu, Conboy and Brookbank the Canes have morphed from choir boys to bad boys fairly quickly. Next show vs. the NYR.

Devs announcers said mommie made them promise to not fight each other :lol:

Why would one game change anybody's mind about the trade? The issue isn't whether Ruutu is good---its whether he was worth giving Ladd up for. The fact is, Ladd was finally getting 1st line minutes and producing like a first line player. His minutes went from sub 10 to over 16 a game. Ruutu's went from +16 on avg to less than 12 and under 9 for two of the last four. Ruutu--again, with more than 2 seasons more time in the league, has regressed each season from his first. I don't know how those who say Ladd has not shown improvement can even reconcile this difference. Ruutu has gone from the next Forsberg to the next Wayne Primeau. And if a center is what the Canes needed--get a center not a winger who might play center.

And for gosh sake, this is nothing like getting Sammy--there was no trade, the Canes risked nothing but money. No picks, no prospects, no players. He didn't even cost as much as Anson Carter. The only thing they have in common is they came from Chicago and neither was producing as much as was expected of them. Chicago had begun to give up on Ruutu--how does that make him worth Ladd?

Why would one game change anybody's mind about the trade? The issue isn't whether Ruutu is good---its whether he was worth giving Ladd up for. The fact is, Ladd was finally getting 1st line minutes and producing like a first line player. His minutes went from sub 10 to over 16 a game. Ruutu's went from +16 on avg to less than 12 and under 9 for two of the last four. Ruutu--again, with more than 2 seasons more time in the league, has regressed each season from his first. I don't know how those who say Ladd has not shown improvement can even reconcile this difference. Ruutu has gone from the next Forsberg to the next Wayne Primeau. And if a center is what the Canes needed--get a center not a winger who might play center.

And for gosh sake, this is nothing like getting Sammy--there was no trade, the Canes risked nothing but money. No picks, no prospects, no players. He didn't even cost as much as Anson Carter. The only thing they have in common is they came from Chicago and neither was producing as much as was expected of them. Chicago had begun to give up on Ruutu--how does that make him worth Ladd?

From what Ive gathered so far, Ruutu was another example of a player not fitting into Chicagos style of play. Just on last nite, he definitely seems to like the up-tempo style with banging and puck control down low. Ladd may have put up decent numbers the last few weeks but still seemed invisible to me due to him not being able to play within the offensvie zone puck control system. If you watched the game last nite when the Canes were dominating in their O-zone, all 3 forwards were continuously on the move.....not just sitting out front waiting for the garbage.

I'm going to do the same thing I did with Sammy. I'll give him 10 games, and see how it looks after that. He did well last night, but it's still 1 game. Only a small stretch left in the season. If he does well down that stretch, I'll make a decision on him.

The issue isn't whether Ruutu is good---its whether he was worth giving Ladd up for. The fact is, Ladd was finally getting 1st line minutes and producing like a first line player. His minutes went from sub 10 to over 16 a game. Ruutu's went from +16 on avg to less than 12 and under 9 for two of the last four. Ruutu--again, with more than 2 seasons more time in the league, has regressed each season from his first. I don't know how those who say Ladd has not shown improvement can even reconcile this difference. Ruutu has gone from the next Forsberg to the next Wayne Primeau. And if a center is what the Canes needed--get a center not a winger who might play center.

Yes, Ladd had a nice run going but forget the stats and take a hard look at his game. He's had these nice stretches in the past but has never showed steady progress from what I've seen. Even with top 6 minutes in what areas has he substantially progressed? I'm hard pressed to name many. Sure he's willing to plant himself in the crease but in terms of talent I haven't seen his "game smarts" improve at all, his skating is about the same, his puck-handling is ok, his shot isn't any better, and his defensive game hasn't gotten noticeably better. He does play a physical brand of hockey but only at times. Like with Cole some nights he has it and on others he fades into the background.

To an extent Ladd hasn't always had a clear top 6 role carved out for him but he has also been given a handful of chances over the last 3 season to play significant minutes on one of the top lines. His stats may reflect progression, but I didn't see real development in his all-around game.

Ruutu has been playing wing with the addition of Toews and Lang but he is a natural center who can also play wing. Chicago has committed to its newer players and has adopted a different style than Ruutu first come on the scene. He went from featured player to role player but he continued to disrupt opponents with his hits. I'm not basing my view of him on last night alone, as I've seen him play quite a bit previously. In terms of his mental approach to the game, ice awareness and making good decisions with the puck - he will take the boneheaded penalty too often - he is a better all-around player than Ladd and he gives you versatility that Ladd can't.

ruutu's minutes went down because we got two of our players back from the IR. with all the line shuffling our coach likes to do, there just wasn't room for him in the top 6.

his points have gone down progressively over the seasons mainly because of injury in the beginning, and then his role was changed.

he was originally a center, started in chicago as a center and was moved to wing because we wound up with a backlog of centers. he's not a winger that may play center, he's a center that was asked to play wing for a while.

you've got to look at ALL aspects of the facts here, not just pick and choose certain ones that seem to support your anti ruutu case. give the kid a chance. he'll grow on you.

that being said, i hope ladd excels here in chicago. i'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.

Yeah, pretty interesting, we now have three guys on our team whose brothers play on other teams; Ruutu, Staal, Brookbank...

you forget that kaberle kid!!

ruutu's minutes went down because we got two of our players back from the IR. with all the line shuffling our coach likes to do, there just wasn't room for him in the top 6.

his points have gone down progressively over the seasons mainly because of injury in the beginning, and then his role was changed.

he was originally a center, started in chicago as a center and was moved to wing because we wound up with a backlog of centers. he's not a winger that may play center, he's a center that was asked to play wing for a while.

you've got to look at ALL aspects of the facts here, not just pick and choose certain ones that seem to support your anti ruutu case. give the kid a chance. he'll grow on you.

that being said, i hope ladd excels here in chicago. i'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team.

Well stated and great point about selective arguments that are being made here. Everyone can understand fans' disappointment when a favorite is dealt but I have yet to read any anti-Ruutu comments from someone who has actually seen the guy play during his days in Chicago.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ladd in Chicago. He has some decent upside but his confidence seems to really be lacking at times. When he plays with it he can be an effective, physical player but when he doesn't have he really can look lost and seem unsure of what he is supposed to do. He is a great character guy though.

I have yet to read any anti-Ruutu comments from someone who has actually seen the guy play during his days in Chicago.

:lol: come to the chicago boards.... there are plenty.

but those are the guys who think a player that doesn't put up a point a game isn't doing anything else to contribute. :rolleyes:

:lol: come to the chicago boards.... there are plenty.

but those are the guys who think a player that doesn't put up a point a game isn't doing anything else to contribute. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are.

Differences of opinions based on observations are great but the "just in time experts" who have never someone play but looked up stat lines don't really add constructive elements to the discussion in my book. In reverse, it was fun to read Sens' fans comments about how they fleeced Carolina in the trade and refused to believe how flawed Commodore's game had been the past couple of seasons. Oh well, whatever makes the board world go round. ;)

I really hope for Ladd's sake that he reaches his potential in Chicago. He was improving steadily this year, I thought. Chicago is getting a first rate person and solid performer. I think the Hurricanes really needed the fire, athleticism, and physicality that Ruutu possesses. It's a good trade for everybody. I think we all wish only the best for Ladd.

Hey Carolina, Chicago guy here. Ok, here is my take on Ruutu; I hated to see him traded. He was one of the hardest working Hawks in my opinion. He is a HUGE physical presence on the ice and I think you fans will fall in love with this guy very quick. He is one who will fight in the corners and dig out the puck. He is a hard forechecker. He finishes his checks HARD which is a rarity these days for a forward. Most of all, he does have some offensive skill. This year he is in a funk. In my opinion, I think it is because of all the injuries and line juggling that has been going on. He couldn't really find his role this year. But hopefully in Carolina he will. You should see some of the highlight goals that he has had in his short career. Granted we didn't see them this year. But look at that goal he scored in the worlds (I'm guessing that is on the youtube link posted above). Hopefully when he becomes a rfa, Hawks will get him back. I was bummed to see him leave.

On the lighter side, funny story. This year, Ruutu was arrested for robbery. It so happens the Blackhawks practice facility is not in the best of neighborhoods. After practice, he was jogging in a black hoodie and black track pants. Well police came up behind him and arrested him because he fit the description of someone who robbed a apartment complex earlier. He spent some time in back of the squad car and at the station. When the police realized they made a mistake, he laughed and signed autographs for all the policemen. Then he was interviewed and chalked up the experience as being 'fun' and understood. Kind of a class act. Could you imagine if it was some high profile athlete in another sport. Not prejudice at all, but I could totally see the race card being played....save that for another topic. Anyway...good luck Ruutie. We'll miss you here in chicago!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-blackhawks-ruutu&prov=ap&type=lgns' target="_blank">http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-b...p&type=lgns[/post]

FYI, here is that link. I re read the article...'wrong place, wrong time, happens to me all the time'. Wondering if he was talking about his years with the Blackhawks.... :unsure: