• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caniacal_Avaholic

Forward Depth

114 posts in this topic

If their play continues, I don't see any reason why Aucoin and Bayda shouldn't be back next year on the third line with Eaves or Walker. I fully expect one of our forwards to be moved in the offseason to shore up the defense.

The key may rest on whether Brind'Amour decides to return or not. Personally, I think this lineup would be solid next season:

Ruutu / Staal / Samsonov

Whitney / Cullen / Williams

Bayda / Aucoin / Walker

LaRose / Sutter / Eaves

If Brind'Amour were to return, that would throw Cullen's position on the team into turmoil, which may lead to either Ruutu or Samsonov not re-signed.

It is really hard to try to predict actual lines. There are so many combinations possible with all the forwards we have and with the trades i expect to happen. Add to that variables such as - can we (we better) sign Samsonov, will Brindy get completely healthy, is Williams going to be the same.

I suspect we will be trading (or at least try) someone this offseason for a top D. Especially if Hedican (i really hope so) and Wesley decide to retire. That someone most likely would be Eric Cole since he has the most value.

Who else can we trade?

Whitney? Probably not, he will be 36 and he won't bring us much of a return.

Cullen? I doubt it.

Walker has NTC. BTW, I can't see Walker playing 4th line minutes. It simply isn't going to happen.

Eaves, Ruutu, Gleason, LaRose, Seids are going to be RFAs. All of them will want increase in pay. Are we going to accomodate them? The only person i won't miss would be Seidenberg. He is your easy to replace average defenseman.

There are talks that Canes want to sign Sutter for next year.

Keep in mind that Staal and Cole (if we keep him) will be playing last year in their contact next season and we will need to keep those guys in mind at all times.

That is why i think, Cole is likely to be traded now, when he has the best value. It will be hard to afford him after his contract expires.

Assuming Tanabe is going to be back next year with his one way contract, we will have to keep him in roster. Conboy is a below average defenseman. I doubt he will stay. I can see Casey Borer taking permanent spot in the roster.

We definitely need a heavy weight enforcer. I see that as a must have piece of a puzzle in today's NHL, but it doesn't have to be Brookbank. That position can be filled by someone else.

It will be an interesting offseason. Right now i'd love to enjoy seing Canes in a deep playoff run.

It is simply amazing to watch a game like last night's and then remind yourself that arguably our best line of Whitney, Williams and Brind'Amour has all three out with injuries.

I don't know where we'll wind up next year, but this is a nice problem to have.

Chad LaRose is going to be an RFA at the end of the season, and it could very well come down to a choice between him, Aucoin, and Letowski as a 4th line center. Then there's Jeff Hamilton, who is signed through next season. And what about guys like Nolan, Blanchard, Sutter? Will any of them be ready? Will Conboy, Borer, or Babin make the team as defensemen? I don't know enough about the Canes' prospects to know who has a chance next season and who will be playing in "the A" next year.

What kind of money will our other UFAs/RFAs be asking for? What kind of money will Samsonov ($3.5 m) and Ruutu ($2.5 m) ask for? Tim Gleason, an RFA, is also due for a raise.

Chad LaRose is going to be an RFA at the end of the season, and it could very well come down to a choice between him, Aucoin, and Letowski as a 4th line center. Then there's Jeff Hamilton, who is signed through next season. And what about guys like Nolan, Blanchard, Sutter? Will any of them be ready? Will Conboy, Borer, or Babin make the team as defensemen? I don't know enough about the Canes' prospects to know who has a chance next season and who will be playing in "the A" next year.

What kind of money will our other UFAs/RFAs be asking for? What kind of money will Samsonov ($3.5 m) and Ruutu ($2.5 m) ask for? Tim Gleason, an RFA, is also due for a raise.

man i really hope we can keep rosey.. but aucoin's been so good for us. it's gonna be interesting and hard to see who goes...

Its definitly going to be crazy what happens this offseason. Im hoping something like this will be the lines for next year

Ruutu-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Brindy-Williams

Whitney-Cullen-Eaves

Brookbank-Aucoin?-Walker

the thing is though, Aucoin and Bayda have shown a lot of improvement so who's to see they wont make the team full time next season? You could probably switch up a lot of the combinations and still be just fine.

This is a great problem to have......but I see no reason to contemplate the future just yet. We have a lotta hockey to be played yet this year. Let's see what shakes out first and then do the "guessing" game. All I know is that I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions of who goes and who stays. That is gonna be one tough job.....good luck JR!!!!

I think our forwards next year will be (and I am not using the whole lines thing...)

Staal, Cole, Brindy, Whitney, Williams, Cullen, Walker, Samsonov, Letowski (you HAVE to keep him because of the PK), Ruutu, Eaves and Brookbank.

I think our forwards next year will be (and I am not using the whole lines thing...)

Staal, Cole, Brindy, Whitney, Williams, Cullen, Walker, Samsonov, Letowski (you HAVE to keep him because of the PK), Ruutu, Eaves and Brookbank.

As 'decent' as Brookbank has done playing forward due to our injuries, the guy is (and plays like) a defenseman. As an UFA, I would think the Canes FA signing efforts will be elsewhere...but if Brooksie would take $550k/yr or so, he'd be worth having back.

As 'decent' as Brookbank has done playing forward due to our injuries, the guy is (and plays like) a defenseman. As an UFA, I would think the Canes FA signing efforts will be elsewhere...but if Brooksie would take $550k/yr or so, he'd be worth having back.

We have seen the effect he has on other teams with his presence. We NEED that enforcer role filled for us and I think he will stay for not much of a raise. If he asks for a lot, let him go, but we need that enforcer type player somewhere until teams stop headhunting.

We have seen the effect he has on other teams with his presence. We NEED that enforcer role filled for us and I think he will stay for not much of a raise. If he asks for a lot, let him go, but we need that enforcer type player somewhere until teams stop headhunting.

I think Conboy could fill that role. He also has the speed to keep up with the rest of the team and the ability to play defense, so I expect he'll stick around ahead of Brookbank.

I think Conboy could fill that role. He also has the speed to keep up with the rest of the team and the ability to play defense, so I expect he'll stick around ahead of Brookbank.

I don't think so... Conboy is not an enforcer.. He is not heavy nor good enough to stand against real enforcers that teams employ.

He is also a below average d-man. He is playing as 4th line forward and Lavi only puts him in defense when he has no better choice.

The 4th line will sort itself out but the primary focus should be on the top 9 forwards.

The simple math is that there are inarguably 10 top 9-caliber forwards. Nobody in this group of Staal, Cole, Whitney, Brindy, Williams, Samsonov (UFA), Cullen, Walker, Eaves (RFA), and Ruutu (RFA) is 4th line material and it would be an absolute waste to have one of them there.

If Samsonov walks, then it's problem solved with no trades although his skill set is a perfect fit. However it plays out, one of the guys above will not back. That is a lock.

The Canes are still in the bottom 3 in goals allowed and top 3 in goals scored. Either through a trade of one of the F's listed or through Samsonov's departure, the Canes need that salary slot to go towards raises and another Dman. My guess is that Ruutu's similar physical contributions to Cole and Cole's $4 million salary could make him the odd man out. Ruutu doesn't have Cole's speed or goal production but he is a better puck-handler by far, better passer and is more versatile in being able to play any F position.

Re-sign Samsonov. That's the first priority. Then take care of Gleason, Ruutu, and Eaves. In that order.

Personally, I think if we can keep the Rat Pack on the cheap and have them anchor the 4th line with Letowski, we should look to package either Cole or Williams along with LaRose and find a #1 defenseman. You gotta think that Wesley and Hedican are gone after this season - though if Wesley wishes to come back, I wouldn't be against a one year deal for him. Either way, the blue line needs a little shoring up.

That would leave us looking something like this:

Samsonov, Brind'Amour, Williams/Cole

Whitney, Staal, Ruutu

Eaves, Cullen, Walker

Aucoin, Letowski, Bayda

Gleason-[Player we get for LaRose and the other forward]

Corvo-Kaberle

Wallin-Borer

Trade Cole and/or Larose, pick up a good dman. The forward talent on this team (when healthy) is ridiculous. We need to shift some of that to the backend. JR should be able to pick up someone good, I have a lot of faith in him.

I've been thinking about this too, but laid off the idea of making a thread, but since its been posted. I think Canes will re-sign Samsonov, and Ruutu as long as their asking price is reasonable.

The canes clearly need to upgrade on defense though, I'm guessing one of either Hedican or Wesley will call it quits. The forward lines can work if Rod is willing to cut down on his ice-time, which he should I think, I wouldn't be surprised though if j.R. deals one of our wingers come draft day, cause the draft I believe is steep this year and we could obviously use the prospects.

I've started to think that Williams may very well be the guy on the outside next season. Even though he may be the best bargain on the roster, I just can't see where he would fit in the lineup next season. Ruutu / Staal / Cole have seemed to have developed an instant chemistry, as had Whitney / Brind'Amour / Samsonov prior to Brind'Amour's injury. Every Hurricanes' fan knows what Bayda / Aucoin / Walker has brought to the table in the last couple of weeks. Even with Williams out of the equation and possibly traded for help on the defensive side, you still need to find room for Cullen in the lineup.

One potential lineup:

Ruutu / Staal / Cole

Whitney / Cullen / Samsonov

LaRose / Brind'Amour / Walker

Bayda / Aucoin / Eaves

I'm not exactly sure if this is a "nice problem to have," as someone that has been a solid contributor to this team will be left behind. I just hope that the salary space cleared up by any potential move within the forward ranks will be put to use on the defense and back-up goaltender situation

honestly i think we could let Eaves go.. he hasn't really impressed me yet and i think i'd rather keep Cole, LaRose, and Samsonov

honestly i think we could let Eaves go.. he hasn't really impressed me yet and i think i'd rather keep Cole, LaRose, and Samsonov

Just wondering why you think LaRose is a better option to be kept here.

Eaves is a 20+ goal scorer when healthy and I think he is a goal away from getting a nice little streak going. Plus, I doubt we would let him go since JR made Murray give him up in the trade even though Murray REALLY didn't want to give him up.

And it's just my opinion, but I think Sutter is still another season from joining the big club. I think he will be in Albany next year and with us the year after.

You would seriously keep LaRose over Eaves? No doubt Eaves hasn't lit up the scoreboard, but he has played almost as solidly in all 3 zones as any player over the last few games. Watch him on the backcheck and the smart decisions he makes with the puck. He is one of the few forwards who will willingly block shots.

LaRose will always be a fan favorite but there is no comparison in terms of overall talent level.

So in the 6 games that hes played with us, the first two being well under 10 minutes of ice time, he has 3 points coming off of a bad shoulder injury into a new team. I like the guy so far, he creates a lot of opportunities, and when he is healthy is easily a 20 goal scorer. Chad Larose is barely a 20 POINT scorer when he is healthy.

Heres a trade I have just thought up.

Cole for

Jack Johnson(LA Kings) and 4th round pick.

Now, I know we just got rid of Johnson but he has VERY VERY good potential and we need a player with potential on our blue line.