Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caniacal_Avaholic

Forward Depth

114 posts in this topic

I think you are overestimating people's ability to separate Brind'Amour's current ability from his past. Yes winning makes a big difference but I still think a lot of people would be irate if he was traded because they feel he should retire a Cane. When he was signed to that contract there was concern that he would be overpriced by the end of it, and he might be depending on how well he comes back from his injury.

I stand by my statement that he is worth more to the canes. It is because of the PR perspective, the canes will loose more goodwill from fans than any team, except maybe the Flyers, would gain from trading for him.

I agree with you here. Also, you have to remember that the org is very high on Brind'Amour b/c of the cup run and win. JR alot of times does things with his heart not his head, he's even admitted to this. I see this being one of those things where he does what his heart tells him not his head. I can see Brind'Amour's minutes dwiddling, but him getting traded I just don't see. In fact I'll even go as far to say Brind'Amour will be traded when pigs fly. In fact I'll make the bold statement that Brind'Amour retires a Cane and #17 hangs alongside #10 one day.

I am sure that Brindy is staying here too. He is going to retire a Cane and he still has a couple years left in him. He just needs to lay back a bit on the minutes so others can shine.

I think our forwards next year will be (and I am not using the whole lines thing...)

Staal, Cole, Brindy, Whitney, Williams, Cullen, Walker, Samsonov, Letowski (you HAVE to keep him because of the PK), Ruutu, Eaves and Brookbank.

NO, they Don't need to keep him because of the PK...Carolina is currently Ranked 30th in league on the PK out of 30 teams, know what that means???...means Carolina is the WORST IN THE LEAGUE AT THE PK!!! (Letowski is a BIG reason for that)

Sorry, but Letowski needs to go after this season!

NO, they Don't need to keep him because of the PK...Carolina is currently Ranked 30th in league on the PK out of 30 teams, know what that means???...means Carolina is the WORST IN THE LEAGUE AT THE PK!!! (Letowski is a BIG reason for that)

I respectfully disagree. Letowski has been a bright spot in our PK, regardless of where it stands. He can take draws and win them a good percentage of the time and if you look at the stats of the PK since the allstar break, its doing just fine now.

I respectfully disagree. Letowski has been a bright spot in our PK, regardless of where it stands. He can take draws and win them a good percentage of the time and if you look at the stats of the PK since the allstar break, its doing just fine now.

I think the problem with our PK is we either are completely solid during games or it is HORRIBLE. We kill them all or let the other team score on 75% of them.

I don't think Letowski is the reason it is 30th in the league...that's a little harsh to say.

The reason our PK is bad is not because of one single person. Not one person stands out during the game. It is no one or everyone.

About Brindy...

I really think he needs to be the 3rd line center next year. Staal and Cullen are earning their way into the top 2 center spots and Brindy is just not what he used to be. Granted, he is the leader of our team, but you don't have to center the first line to be captain.

I think he should be placed on the third line, it would keep our third line legitimate and I still think he can set guys up pretty well. I'm kind of torn on whether or not he should be our top PK center though, I really think it depends on how well he comes back from this injury.

If we sign Sutter during the off season and he is ready to make an NHL debut, I dont expect Letowski or Brind'Amour back next year.

Brind'Amour is 37 and coming off a horrible and painful surgery. Letowski, in my opinion, does not add much to this team. By no means is Sutter the next Staal, but he is an upgrade over Letowski. I can see this lineup next year.

Samsonov - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Cullen - Williams

Eaves - Ruttu - Walker

Brookbank / Enforcer - Sutter / Aucoin - Aucion / Bayda

I would be satisfied with the above roster, we would have one of the most dangerous forward lineups, when healthy. Our defense I suspect will have a major over haul in the off season, if we are lucky.

On the other hand, if Brind'Amour does come back and goes to the end of his contract...

Samsonov - Staal - Cole

Whitney - Brind'Amour - Williams

Ruutu - Cullen - Walker

Brookbank / Enforcer - Sutter / Aucion - Eaves

Best case scenario, we could acquire a defenseman that is an enforcer. Yes, Wade Brookbank is a defenseman but is quite slow in skating, thats been noted by many teams, thus not very effective on the back end. Gleason cannot fill an enforcer role and neither can Walker - not goonish enough.

For any of the above rosters to happen all the pieces would have to fall into place perfectly. Samsonov, Ruutu, Brookbank, Sutter, Aucion, Eaves, and a couple other players would have to be signed - most wanting either A) guaranteed NHL time - B ) A raise

Last thing we need to worry about is our forward line up, even if we lose some of the players, we will still have a strong forward corps. JR needs to focus on our defense.

Best case scenario, we could acquire a defenseman that is an enforcer. Yes, Wade Brookbank is a defenseman but is quite slow in skating, thats been noted by many teams, thus not very effective on the back end. Gleason cannot fill an enforcer role and neither can Walker - not goonish enough.

Gleason and Walker are legitimate hockey players not the goons, like Laroque and Brashear. However, both are mean and step up when needed. However, they are too good to spend the game in the box. Brookbank is nice to have to clobber people. Very goon like, limited skills big hitter.

I'd offer that Brookbank is NOT a "big hitter" - he's a fighter, so he's a deterrent, but I can think of a lot of other Canes who are "bigger hitters" than Wade.

Gleason and Walker are legitimate hockey players not the goons, like Laroque and Brashear. However, both are mean and step up when needed. However, they are too good to spend the game in the box. Brookbank is nice to have to clobber people. Very goon like, limited skills big hitter.

I'd offer that Brookbank is NOT a "big hitter" - he's a fighter, so he's a deterrent, but I can think of a lot of other Canes who are "bigger hitters" than Wade.

Decent hitter, but I agree, deterrent from teams taking liberties.

Brookbank is there so other players can dish out the hits and if anybody on the other team has a problem they have to take it up with him.

RE: Brind'Amour - one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that his contract does not expire until 2011, and he signed the 5-year extension 4 days after winning the Stanley Cup and clearly alluded to the fact that he intends to retire as a Hurricane. I believe (I don't know, I've done a cursory search and couldn't find anything definitive) he also has a no-trade clause in that contract. The last 2 years his salary is also reduced to $3M. IMO, he would retire if he thought he could not play as productively as he expects of himself. I really can't see him traded. I do believe that when he retires (as a Hurricane) he'll join the front office/coaching staff in some capacity, and #17 will join #10 in the rafters.

That being said, I do agree that coming off the significant knee injury that he will likely be better off playing fewer minutes. Also, don't forget that he was the team's leading scorer for the 1st two months of this season. His production did drop off, but its not like he was not producing then either. And despite missing 13 games he is still the team's 3rd highest in points. So, let's not write off his contributions this year.

My dream scenario is that Hedican retires and Aaron Ward agrees to come back and Hedi's salary goes to him. As for the forwards - I would hate to lose any of them. Its a business and JR has some tough decisions to make ... hopefully *way* into the summer. ;-)

I think at best, we can see 70% of the picture. We can see the player's raw skills. We can see the player's performance on the ice. What we only get a glimpse of is the chemistry and the character of the guys.

JR has shown time and again a knack to assess the locker room and what the team needs to improve the overall team attitude, spirit, and camaraderie. This one piece of the equation we only get a glimpse of through the team interviews, commentary from Forslund/Tripp/Kaiton, etc.

I believe that some of the moves JR makes have just as much to do with changing the overall team attitude than they have to do with skills.

All of that being said, the question on Cole being traded comes down to simply this. I think how Staal feels about Cole has a lot to do with his status, and whether or not they believe Cole is a positive or negative influence on the overall team attitude, especially moving forward. If they think Cole won't be a positive influence in this regard come free agency time, I'm sure they'll move him.

Brindy... the decision here may have a lot to do with whether or not it is time to hand the team over to Staal, and whether or not Staal wants the C now or is willing to wait. The question on his overall influence is tough to figure out. I never would have believed his absence would have resulted in this run. It's up to JR/Lav to figure out if this just caused everyone to snap out of a funk, or if Brindy is actually a negative factor mentally for the team.

Guys with attitude issues have no future on the team, guaranteed. They'll be moved one way or another. Many examples of this from the past, I need not cite them.

I think for all of those reasons, those hopeful that Stillman is coming back are not seeing the picture, I think he was tagged as one of the causes of team lethargy and probably is not coming back. (not certain, just my read)

I guess all I am trying to say is, since we don't see that internal 30% of insider info, it's hard to predict who they will want to move and who they will want to keep.

I think at best, we can see 70% of the picture. We can see the player's raw skills. We can see the player's performance on the ice. What we only get a glimpse of is the chemistry and the character of the guys.

JR has shown time and again a knack to assess the locker room and what the team needs to improve the overall team attitude, spirit, and camaraderie. This one piece of the equation we only get a glimpse of through the team interviews, commentary from Forslund/Tripp/Kaiton, etc.

I believe that some of the moves JR makes have just as much to do with changing the overall team attitude than they have to do with skills.

All of that being said, the question on Cole being traded comes down to simply this. I think how Staal feels about Cole has a lot to do with his status, and whether or not they believe Cole is a positive or negative influence on the overall team attitude, especially moving forward. If they think Cole won't be a positive influence in this regard come free agency time, I'm sure they'll move him.

Brindy... the decision here may have a lot to do with whether or not it is time to hand the team over to Staal, and whether or not Staal wants the C now or is willing to wait. The question on his overall influence is tough to figure out. I never would have believed his absence would have resulted in this run. It's up to JR/Lav to figure out if this just caused everyone to snap out of a funk, or if Brindy is actually a negative factor mentally for the team.

Guys with attitude issues have no future on the team, guaranteed. They'll be moved one way or another. Many examples of this from the past, I need not cite them.

I think for all of those reasons, those hopeful that Stillman is coming back are not seeing the picture, I think he was tagged as one of the causes of team lethargy and probably is not coming back. (not certain, just my read)

I guess all I am trying to say is, since we don't see that internal 30% of insider info, it's hard to predict who they will want to move and who they will want to keep.

Good Post. My only issue with brindy is that he has the C i like his play and faceoffs and i have to say i think it would be obsurd to have Staal wait until 2011 to get the C. Those are the problems I see coming up. The Question is when is the right time for Staal to take over the team and become the Captain?

Good Post. My only issue with brindy is that he has the C i like his play and faceoffs and i have to say i think it would be obsurd to have Staal wait until 2011 to get the C. Those are the problems I see coming up. The Question is when is the right time for Staal to take over the team and become the Captain?

Personally I think we, as in the collective boards, make way too big of a deal of who is the captain. Players can be leaders without it and I doubt anyone looses any sleep over being it or not. As stated before players with attitude problems don't seem to last, so if you were the type to make a big deal of it I have a feeling you wouldn't be on this team anyway.

Very good post and point. Everyone doesn't snap out of a funk at once.

I agree with you here. Also, you have to remember that the org is very high on Brind'Amour b/c of the cup run and win. JR alot of times does things with his heart not his head, he's even admitted to this. I see this being one of those things where he does what his heart tells him not his head. I can see Brind'Amour's minutes dwiddling, but him getting traded I just don't see. In fact I'll even go as far to say Brind'Amour will be traded when pigs fly. In fact I'll make the bold statement that Brind'Amour retires a Cane and #17 hangs alongside #10 one day.

Gotta like the confidence and bold statement. I do remember the cup run and win. Who doesn't? I think Brindy will not allow JR to ever come to that decision. From a business standpoint it does make sense but from a personal standpoint it does not.

I can't believe some of the people willing to get rid of Brind'amour just like that after all he's done for this franchise. He will be back and he'll be as good as ever, bet on it. He was already working out right after his surgery and he is not the type of player to use this injury as an excuse. He will do anything it takes to get back in top form and you can count on that. Stop selling our captain short.

I can't believe some of the people willing to get rid of Brind'amour just like that after all he's done for this franchise. He will be back and he'll be as good as ever, bet on it. He was already working out right after his surgery and he is not the type of player to use this injury as an excuse. He will do anything it takes to get back in top form and you can count on that. Stop selling our captain short.

Please don't mistake my comments about Brindy as me wanting him to go. I'll never forget what he has done for the franchise and all the moments he has brought us. My point is simply that we don't know his locker room influence and can't possibly know, we aren't there. If JR and Lav think he's a positive influence still, all the better. If they want to encourage him to retire, I would bet they know that his days as the leader are over. I trust them to make that judgement. Personally, I hope he comes back just as strong as before, he's been an inspirational player as far as I can tell.

Please don't mistake my comments about Brindy as me wanting him to go. I'll never forget what he has done for the franchise and all the moments he has brought us. My point is simply that we don't know his locker room influence and can't possibly know, we aren't there. If JR and Lav think he's a positive influence still, all the better. If they want to encourage him to retire, I would bet they know that his days as the leader are over. I trust them to make that judgement. Personally, I hope he comes back just as strong as before, he's been an inspirational player as far as I can tell.

Why are you even questioning his leadership? You mention whether or not he's a positive influence...of course he is. He is this teams captain and will remain so until he retires and that will happen when he's good and ready. No one is going to encourage him to retire because of this injury. Do you think Williams should retire? I'm sure you'll point out that he's younger, but Brind'amour is in better shape than him so recovery will not be a problem. It's just a ridiculous scenario talking about retirement right now. Brindy has a few good years left in him without a doubt.

Brind'amour, assuming he fully recovers, will still be a very strong two way center. What this recent run has shown, however, is that we don't need him in the sense that we can't win, or play well without him.

I still think we will be better off with him, but I think that the coach felt like he needed Brindy out there nearly all the time, hence the big minutes. That has been disproven. I think that Brindy would have been better this year and will certainly be better next year with fewer minutes.

If he recovers fully and drops back to the 3rd line, he would be the best 3rd line center in the game. Certainly makes us stronger.

Brind'amour, assuming he fully recovers, will still be a very strong two way center. What this recent run has shown, however, is that we don't need him in the sense that we can't win, or play well without him.

I still think we will be better off with him, but I think that the coach felt like he needed Brindy out there nearly all the time, hence the big minutes. That has been disproven. I think that Brindy would have been better this year and will certainly be better next year with fewer minutes.

If he recovers fully and drops back to the 3rd line, he would be the best 3rd line center in the game. Certainly makes us stronger.

Nice post and I generally agree. I'd posted earlier about having Brindy's minutes, assuming he returns to form, drop to the 18 or so range from the 23 and more he'd been doing. Lavi has often used an approach you could call Line 1A (Brindy) and Line 1B (Staal), then Line 3 and 4 with the 1A and 1B lines serving near equal minutes at even strength compared to other teams where there's more of a drop-off between the first and second lines. On top of those minutes, Brindy was then doing double-duty usually on both the first PP and first PK units.

With Staal showing he can play and excel at the minutes, maybe Lavi can have a Line 1 (Staal), Line 2a (Brindy or Cullen) and 2b (Brindy or Cullen), Line 4 approach where there's not much minutes difference between the Brindy and Cullen lines, but Staal plays the true first line minutes. Brindy could slide to the second powerplay unit or drop off of the PP all together in certain game situations. Those changes, I think, could cut 5 or minutes of ice time and keep Brindy fresher.