The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dp1one

Let's talk hockey

I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads made on how good the PP is lately with Corvo and Cullen clicking. Very entertaining to watch.

I wonder a lot about guys getting in front of the net. Staal and sometimes Cole seem to be the only guys willing to park in front, and they are on the same line.

I've noticed this a lot on the Rats line, Walker, Bayda and Aucoin seem to all be along the boards...what happens when we dig it out?

Lets talk penalty kill. Watching good penalty killing teams, they are WAY more aggressive than the 'Canes. In the neutral zone, coming across the blue line, and inside our own zone, the 'Canes just seem way too passive.

Yea. Our power play has really gotton back on track. It was amazing to watch out PP against Washington in the 6-3 Win. Cullen and Corvo work together amazingly at the point and the traffic and puck handling skills down towards the net are improving as well. The PP has really rejuvenated with these players and it is great to see them all racking up the points.

*Puts his serious face on*

I feel curvo has been a huge pick up on the pp, he has a heavy shot, that can hit the net, and other teams have to respect that, and that in turn opens up the ice for other players like sammy for instance. too boot, he isn't as (or hasn't been) the liability he was sold as when he first came here, if he is, it isn't nearly as bad as what we had in place before hand and I just don't notice it.

Our pp has looked very solid maintaining position of the puck in the offensive zone for the majority of the past couple of weeks or so worth of pps I'd say and the goals have and will continue if they keep it up.

Now our pk still sucks, but it was mentioned that they were getting back to basics on the pk and haven't had a chance to work on it as much lately, which I find surprising, I would think being in 30th on the pk for nearly the entire year would have been something they would be more concerned with, but I'm no coach either so what do I know.

I wonder a lot about guys getting in front of the net. Staal and sometimes Cole seem to be the only guys willing to park in front, and they are on the same line.

I've noticed this a lot on the Rats line, Walker, Bayda and Aucoin seem to all be along the boards...what happens when we dig it out?

Lets talk penalty kill. Watching good penalty killing teams, they are WAY more aggressive than the 'Canes. In the neutral zone, coming across the blue line, and inside our own zone, the 'Canes just seem way too passive.

Excellent point. I think many of our PK problems come from the absence of Williams, Brind'Amour, and LaRose. Most of our PK unit as of right now is made up of players that didn't usually fill that role. Until this year I can't recall seeing Whitney and Cole on the PK very often if ever. On the bright side, the players that are on the PK now will have experience when the regulars return and give us added depth. Also, having Cole and Staal on the PK gives us a speedy shorthanded threat each time they're out.

K-Caniac is right. Canes aren't aggressive enough at times, and it can get annoying. Not sure what they are so scared of, playing conservative in the so called box they use clearly isn't working, lol.

the lack of aggressiveness shows on the stats too, only 2 SH goals I believe this season, that's ridiculously low.

Excellent point. I think many of our PK problems come from the absence of Williams, Brind'Amour, and LaRose. Most of our PK unit as of right now is made up of players that didn't usually fill that role. Until this year I can't recall seeing Whitney and Cole on the PK very often if ever. On the bright side, the players that are on the PK now will have experience when the regulars return and give us added depth. Also, having Cole and Staal on the PK gives us a speedy shorthanded threat each time they're out.

Does anyone know the stats of the PP and PK since the Allstar break. I think I read that they're pretty respectable numbers. Maybe Tripp mentioned it last night too, the PP was clicking at fairly high number and the PK was much improved.

Does anyone know the stats of the PP and PK since the Allstar break. I think I read that they're pretty respectable numbers. Maybe Tripp mentioned it last night too, the PP was clicking at fairly high number and the PK was much improved.

PP- 14% (4th worst) PK - 75.5% (2nd worst)

Special teams have gotten worst since the break apparently.

However, defensively, looks they they are in the top 10 since the break (2.6 GAA per game). Save % top 10 as well, .911, was .887 before the break. So looks like a better defensive game and better goaltending is the main reason so far. Also the lack of penalties helps too.

However, defensively, looks they they are in the top 10 since the break (2.6 GAA per game). Save % top 10 as well, .911, was .887 before the break. So looks like a better defensive game and better goaltending is the main reason so far. Also the lack of penalties helps too.

I dont doubt your numbers but I swear he had higher numbers for the PP. The PK sounds about right.

I dont doubt your numbers but I swear he had higher numbers for the PP. The PK sounds about right.

I might be off by a few, but my calculations the first 8 games after the break we were like 2-30 on the pp, and after that it finally started to click.

I'd like to see the numbers since the Stillman/Commodore - Corvo/Eaves trade, that's when we seemed to step it up in both areas - is that a commentary on any of the players involved? other than Corvo's impact on the PP (and the return of Cullen which was shortly thereafter) - No, I think that trade kinda woke up the team as a whole.

As far as a forward "parking in front of the net", this is not ideal with the cycling the canes do which has become effective once again. Normally the constant motion will eventually cause the D to get out of position and open up something at the point or back door / high slot. This is why we've seen soo many rebound goals with the D not being able to stay with their man.

As far as a forward "parking in front of the net", this is not ideal with the cycling the canes do which has become effective once again. Normally the constant motion will eventually cause the D to get out of position and open up something at the point or back door / high slot. This is why we've seen soo many rebound goals with the D not being able to stay with their man.

Agreed... also if they get a good cycle going, the D gets tired... during the Devils game last week, the Walker, Bayda, and Aucoin line on two occations got a great cycle going and pinned the Devils in their zone for a good 45-60 seconds and on one of the shifts, the Canes were able to get some fresh legs into the action -- it was awesome!

I think many of our PK problems come from the absence of Williams, Brind'Amour, and LaRose. Most of our PK unit as of right now is made up of players that didn't usually fill that role. Until this year I can't recall seeing Whitney and Cole on the PK very often if ever. On the bright side, the players that are on the PK now will have experience when the regulars return and give us added depth. Also, having Cole and Staal on the PK gives us a speedy shorthanded threat each time they're out.

For all intents and purposes the 1st unit PK forwards are "3rd and 4th string" killers from the beginning of the year. At the start of the year, the first two units at forward were...

1st Unit: Brindy and Williams.

2nd Unit: LaRose and C. Adams.

Through injuries and trades, all of them are gone.

After Williams was lost for the year, Stillman actually had been used on the 1st unit and now he too is gone.

So Letowski, Staal, Walker, Whitney and Cole all move up from well down in the depth charts. The only guy approaching an experienced killer in that group is Letowski and he has usually always been a 2nd unit guy at best. On D, Commodore and his shot-blocking are gone and he was another 1st unit guy who played against the other team's top PP unit.

That's a ton of experience lost and one of the reasons why they play more passively. This was never an overly active kill system and they seem to really concentrate on holding their position over pressuring the puck, like in an active kill scheme.

The units are inexperienced and not made up of guys who will routinely lay down to block shots. As a result, the Canes allow more quality shots, give time and space and hope to hang on during many sequences. Often when one of the inexperienced forward killers gets possession he doesn't make an emphatic clear and the other team's PP gets extended zone time. Poor performance in the faceoff circle also leads to extended possession time for the PP which lead to more chances against.

BTW, nice call in starting this thread.

If you have never coached (any team sport) it is much more perplexing why we aren't working on this or that. I have a saying that I use to guide my practice schedule. "We play the game to see what we need to practice." I realize the pros are entirely different from anything I have done but, and this is a big but, there is only so much time allotted for practice. I would expect that Lavi is prioritizing his practices and I don't expect to be let in on what his priorities are.

As an amatuer practices were devided equally between individual skills, eg. draws; team skills, eg. PK; and play time or scrimmage with emphasis on the days coaching. My priorities would be 5v5 defense, 5v5 offense, Penalty Kill, Power Play. Attention has to be paid to physiology, i.e., not wearing the team down practicing, psychology, rules interpretations, upcoming scouting reports, match-ups, etc.

I have questions about why we have all 5 players bringing the puck up ice on the PP, allowing the opposing PK to crowd the nuetral zone and even encroaching in our zone. On the other hand this style of play would allow more space behind the D to exploit. (My style is to allow the players to sort out how they play on the field/ice which allows for more creativity but sacrifices coaching input.)

When the BIG surge started we became very aggressive on D --2 forwards pressing -- taking away outlet options. We seem to have fallen back into the less aggressive, let them out with minimum (and uneffective) pressure by one forward deep and one at the the red line. This could be by design and I have so little hockey knowledge I don't know the philosophy behind any of it. Contributing to my misunderstanding is the similarity to soccer which I coached for about 10 years and the confusion of dissimilarities.

When the BIG surge started we became very aggressive on D --2 forwards pressing -- taking away outlet options. We seem to have fallen back into the less aggressive, let them out with minimum (and uneffective) pressure by one forward deep and one at the the red line. This could be by design and I have so little hockey knowledge I don't know the philosophy behind any of it. Contributing to my misunderstanding is the similarity to soccer which I coached for about 10 years and the confusion of dissimilarities.

Theyre not pinching on every play, only when the high forward is in a position to cover, i think this also has to do with the amount of times the D's been burned by odd man rushes. The back checking effort by the forwards has improved greatly and this with time will give the D confidence to pinch more often to keep possession.

Theyre not pinching on every play, only when the high forward is in a position to cover, i think this also has to do with the amount of times the D's been burned by odd man rushes. The back checking effort by the forwards has improved greatly and this with time will give the D confidence to pinch more often to keep possession.

Have you noticed that they've cut down the amount of odd man rushes considerably? Thats been a great adjustment. Knowing what I do know about Lavi's coaching, he breaks problems down one piece at a time. When so much is going wrong, its a lot easier to not look at the big picture and break it all up into more managable pieces. Each week we've seen improvemnets in different aspects of the game so whatever he's doing is working. He did say the other night that special teams win games so they're a priority now that they have a somewhat stable line up.

Have you noticed that they've cut down the amount of odd man rushes considerably? Thats been a great adjustment. Knowing what I do know about Lavi's coaching, he breaks problems down one piece at a time. When so much is going wrong, its a lot easier to not look at the big picture and break it all up into more managable pieces. Each week we've seen improvemnets in different aspects of the game so whatever he's doing is working. He did say the other night that special teams win games so they're a priority now that they have a somewhat stable line up.

Thanks, this is the kind of explanation guys like me need to better understand the game.

I have noticed that we are 'jamming' the forwards at the red line with our Dman with one of our forwards going back to cover. I like this aggressive style and I'm reasonably sure that their forwards don't like it which is all the more reason to do it.

Absolutely!! Did you read my comments above? You said in a sentence what it took me 3 paragraphs to say. :rolleyes:

but I swear

Swearing's not nice, TSA!! :P

Sorry, had to do it. 800 posts!!! Whoo!!!

Anyway, as sad as I was to get rid of Ladders, Stiller, and Commie, Corvo, Eaves, Samsonov, and Ruutu have been rocking our team!!!! I think our PPs look stronger, and I think with newer spirit, our goalies' fire have been re-lit!! Now I'm not saying anything about the playoffs yet... too far away to tell. But we have to stay in 1st to have a chance. Once we drop, we drop! Cutting down the oddman rushes was a great move by Lavi, I must admit. However, he didn't cut them out all together... he still has the rushes occasionally, which isss a good idea just in case we need to speed them up again.

I'd like to see the numbers since the Stillman/Commodore - Corvo/Eaves trade, that's when we seemed to step it up in both areas - is that a commentary on any of the players involved? other than Corvo's impact on the PP (and the return of Cullen which was shortly thereafter) - No, I think that trade kinda woke up the team as a whole.

...Not to mention how Ottawa has faired since the trade! As much I enjoyed watching Commie and Stiller play, the turn-around on D has been dramatic for us. Not so for Ottawa. Man they are hurting since.

Corvo and Cullen clicked almost right away on the PP. The PK is improving IMO. I would really like to see Borer come back up and help out PK wise. Seids is apparently out for a little while longer so room should (not sure if possible) be made for Borer. He has the d-man-first mentality and is very confident with the puck. I have not seen too many "rookie" mistakes when he's played.