The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BigMiike

South"least" division in the playoffs

There is a chance that the SE division could get three teams in. I don't believe in the jinx and all of that and I am sying the Canes are going to make it in. My question is do you want Waah and Fla to make it too. People always say that the SE division in the weakest in the league (not as bad as the Central division IMO) so would you like those teams in too to shut up the "experts", yes the ones who picked us last in the league in 06, or would you rather they not make it because you do not like those teams?

Just think a few weeks ago, the "experts" were saying no way that the SE division gets more than the division winner in.

I don't think it will change peoples opinions one way or another if we do get that many teams in. They'll claim it will be the other teams falling that helped them in(which is not untrue). Though it would be nice to see us play a division foe in the playoffs.

There is a chance that the SE division could get three teams in. I don't believe in the jinx and all of that and I am sying the Canes are going to make it in. My question is do you want Waah and Fla to make it too. People always say that the SE division in the weakest in the league (not as bad as the Central division IMO) so would you like those teams in too to shut up the "experts", yes the ones who picked us last in the league in 06, or would you rather they not make it because you do not like those teams?

Just think a few weeks ago, the "experts" were saying no way that the SE division gets more than the division winner in.

I don't care. It doesn't matter what the "experts" say, and it doesn't matter if WAS or FLA make the playoffs. All that matters is the Canes win the division.

I'm torn. I'd like to see Florida and Washington make it, because it definitely improves the SE's reputation. And if we happen to face any of them, it could build a bigger rivalry with them.

However, I don't want to face Ovechkin or Jokinen in the playoffs.

could care less. south'least'? since 1996...washington, florida, tampa, and carolina [twice] have all made the finals, bringing back 2 stanley cups. 5 times out of 11 isnt too bad. take away new jersey's 3 appearences, and only buffalo [gross], phily, and ottawa have found their way to the promised land, and none of these three have brought back glory. our division is bad? i would disagree.

I'd love to see it, as long as we get the division title ;)

Exactly my feelings as well!

Though I also agree with the others who said we won't get any respect regardless. There will always be excuses for others to complain how the SE isn't good enough for the naysayers. It will be because other teams slumped. Or injuries. Or the league is biased for us. Or some other weird conspiracy theory like we only won because Elvis and UFOs helped us. :P

Exactly. There's a reason why we're a sidenote on the highlight shows. And even if the league is somehow skewed in favor of the Southeast, the Canes have been the least of the beneficiaries of that skew. I'd still like to see Washington sneak in though. I think an all Southeast Division Conference Finals would be outstanding!

No I don't want to see Washington and Florida because that means the Canes are not in the playoffs. I don't think its possible for 3 teams from the SE to make the playoffs. Its gonna be the division winner and the team that takes that final spot.

I'm hoping its the Canes as the 3rd seed and Caps as the 8th seed.

I just can't hope that Florida makes it, I really don't like that team.

I would not want Florida to make it simply because I don't like em' - Remember "DIVE GATE"? I don't like the Caps either but I would rather see them in than the Panthers. You do have to admit, it is fun watching freakin Ovechkin play. He is a a tremendous talent. Washington was smart to lock him up for the long haul.

The Caps are a hard working honest team with a superstar who loves to play the game. I have no problem with them finishing in the 7th or 8th spot.

The Panthers on the other hand are a bunch of whiners who get no respect from me. I really hate to say this but I'd rather see Lindy and the Slugs in the playoffs before Jacques Martin and the Kitty Cats.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Don't get me wrong, I loathe the Kittens as much as the next guy, but not even in the most screwed up, bizarre alternate reality could I actually pull for Buffalo to do anything even remotely successful. So in short, if it means keeping Ruff and the Slugs out of the playoffs, I'm all for it.

Since we spend the rest of the season in divisional play, I don't think three is realistic, but it's still possible that the division would swing two. My nod would go to the Caps, because Kolzig carried them nearly his entire career, didn't leave when he could, and finally has some young talent in front of him. I think Ovechkin is a good ambassador for Caps hockey and the NHL. He's young, dynamic, and really excited to be a part of the league. With their young guys and ours and the players Atlanta brought in via the Hossa trade, hopefully respectability for the SE will happen one of these days.

Someone else mentioned it, and they're right, for a division that is considered the weak link, we have done a better than average job at representing when it comes to the playoffs and the Stanley Cup. Why do we need the bulk of our division in the top eight, when the one or two teams that make it go far, or all the way. :D

The Panthers are a really good team. Crappy coach, crappy captain, but aside from that, they're pretty good. They share the same ECHL team as us, they're team chemistry is something to watch at times, and I mean that in a positive way. They don't have 9 skilled forwards, but if they get into the playoffs, anythings possible. Especially against us. I would like to go see them on Thursday... Maybe I can buy tickets for that game. No work on Friday. If not, I'd like to goto the game against Tampa on the 29th.

Washington, good team.

Florida, another good team.

Those 2 in the playoffs, who knows what can happen. I would love to have 3 teams in the PO's just to shut "experts" up. Now, if somehow we had 3 teams in the semi finals, wow...

Florida can stay out of 'em however. I want Jokinen to go playoff-less for his entire career with the Panthers.

Exactly. I hate that whining idiot, was he really the best 'leader' on that team? Why is he an NHL captain? I would like to see Washington make it because it would be great for ratings and the league in general, but Florida doesn't do anything for me. Hell, I would rather see Buffalo in before the Panthers, at least it would make for a more interesting series if we had to match up with them at some point. Plus, I still want to make a sign for a canes/panthers game that says:

STANLEY CUP RING TALLY

Keith Aucoin: 1

Olli: 0

or

NHL PLAYOFF GAME/POINTS/ANYTHING BOOLEAN STATUS

Chad LaRose: TRUE

Olli: FALSE

It's really not the Canes fault there in that "weak" division. If you ask me, Washington and Atlanta are two very strong teams. Atlanta and Washington have some very good youngsters on there team and in about 3 years the Southeast will have very good competition and will change all so called "experts" opinions on our division.

Look at Washington this year. Almost worst in the East last year and now competing for a division title.

To post above:

I hate Olli. He's a punk and the biggest baby in the NHL.

If Washington/Florida getting in means the Sabres don't, I'm all for it. :D

Can't agree more. I really like watching Washington play. "Ovenchicken" is the most amazing player I have ever seen with the puck on his stick. He doesn't mind hitting someone and he really brings a lot of enthusiasm to the game. I'm afraid that he is going to prove to be worth every penny of his contract. As bad as we need for them to lose it is certainly not easy to pull against them. I can't wait for March 25. It seems like we have kept him in check in our house recently.

Florida is a different story. I could care less about them.

It's kind of fun watching the talking heads make excuses for SE teams even existing, let alone existing in the playoffs. A SE showdown for the conference would be great. I'm sure it would be because NY, Toronto, Montreal etc. wanted it that way though. :lol:

I agree 3 SE teams would rock. Especially if it it means no slugs! :P

As a hockey fan, I'd love to see more SE teams get in the playoffs as I think there are some good rivalries around here and some great talent.

As a Caps fan, I really hope we're the only SE team going to the playoffs. :) I don't know how I'm going to handle this final stretch with all of our SE division games. Most of them are too close for my liking as these match-ups tend to bring out some great hockey on both sides - Especially when we play the Canes.

Oh well...can't say I'll wish your team luck in the final push... :P ...so, good luck to the beer drinkers.