The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

Post Game Analysis 3/19- Thrashers

The first period was obviously the guys' best by far. They kind of stumbled out of the gate in the second, but I guess they recovered well enough to keep the Thrashers from storming back. The third was pretty average. Pretty emotionless game if you ask me, but that's no surprise since I doubt they filled that arena to 2/3 capacity and the Thrashers are just going through the motions until April.

I ripped on the officiating after the Buffalo game, but tonight it was pretty decent. The players on both sides were disciplined for the most part, and I don't remember noticing any non-calls or bad ones.

All in all, it was the kind of game you expect to see more in November than in mid-March, but with the division being what it is we'll take the two points any way we can get them. On the plus side, the guys shouldn't be too worn out for tomorrow night's game, which should be a night-and-day difference with respect to the emotional side of the game. That should be a good one... and when's the last time you could say that about a trip to South Florida? Here's hoping they play 60 minutes of that one.

I thought Atlanta had the better jump until we scored. Then we had jump and really started playing our game. The last 40 minutes were pretty brutal and we are lucky it was Atlanta we were playing otherwise, I don't think we could have pulled that out. But its a much needed 20 minutes, so I'll take it.

Congrats to Joe Jensen on his first NHL goal.

Ruutu centering for Jeff Hamilton and Trevor Letowski. Trevor's speed on the wing was impressive. Jeff surprised me and I expect the Atlanta player as well with a couple of big hits. Jeff played wlike he was interested in staying in the rotation.

The Canes kept their cool when they took the expected hits. After the big lead the Canes seemed to save the energy they could have expended for tomorrow's game. We needed a win, not a exhibition of how great we can play if we put it all out on the ice. Smart hockey if you ask me.

I thought the first was going to go the other way but the guys turned it on and made some smart plays. 2nd showed how our d can be ugly and looking. Must have been a few choice words during the 2nd intermission. Third looked better than the 2nd. Walker & the Rat pack shine as they grind away. Sammy sparks the Staal, Cole line. Corvo shot takes a man down, that is going to smart in the morning. Add another W. Way to go Canes...

After the big lead the Canes seemed to save the energy they could have expended for tomorrow's game. We needed a win, not a exhibition of how great we can play if we put it all out on the ice. Smart hockey if you ask me.

Exactly. They knew, with Atlanta playing the night before and being out of the playoff race, that a strong start would break them. After that third goal, they knew they could get the 2 points without emptying the tank. They'll need to bring it tomorrow night to grab another two points and keep Washington and Florida playing catch-up.

Awsome to see Jensen get his first NHL goal tonight and the game winner at that. So proud of Joe right now. And great win by the Canes.

Thankyou for the 1st period ,nice not to give up the 1st goal again.Not another great game but a good outcome.:Hopefully they were just gliding thru after the 1st period.Now tomorrow they need to start off the same way.Jump on them quick and take the wind out of their sales...

Nice game Hammy! He's taken alot of heat for his play since his hot start. However, I'm very impressed with his play in tonight's game. Very aggressive ... a couple of big hits ... and some nice helpers! It's got to be tough for this guy to go thru waivers, re-entry waivers and down to the Rats and now back up. The guy truly has a rocket shot and I hope he can somehow fit into our system.

I thought the Canes had too many defensive breakdowns tonight, but that may have been a result of Lavi trying to conserve energy for the second half of a back-to-back against a hot Florida team. They certainly could've played better in their own end tonight, but I think they accomplished their game plan. Come out early, get an early lead, take their will away, and 'relax' for 40 minutes.

Nice game Hammy! He's taken alot of heat for his play since his hot start. However, I'm very impressed with his play in tonight's game. Very aggressive ... a couple of big hits ... and some nice helpers! It's got to be tough for this guy to go thru waivers, re-entry waivers and down to the Rats and now back up. The guy truly has a rocket shot and I hope he can somehow fit into our system.

Quoted for truth. The Hammer was excellent tonight.

Big win - any win this late in the season is big - and we need to get another one tomorrow.

Great 1st. Let's not forget Staal. He is making huge differences on the ice now. For a young guy he's stepped up and put this team on his back. Wardo kept us in this one as the game went on, should really boost his confidence. We'll need him tonight.

I'll jump on the save the energy bandwagon for the 2nd & 3rd. Lavi was consistently showing 4 lines last night. They're going to need the energy down south.

Anyway, great to get the win in one we should have and needed to win. Bring on the cats.

Whatever it takes. LET'S GO CANES!

All in all, a fairly easy 2 points. Atlanta is just going through the motions at this point of the season for the most part. Our last two games with them have been played like

this team definitely plays up or down to the opponent theyre facing. they didnt play hard the whole game but convienently converted their opportunities. Aucoin, Walker and Bayda was the best line, any momentum the opponent gets can be immediately taken away by the offensive zone puck control they provide.

this team definitely plays up or down to the opponent theyre facing. they didnt play hard the whole game but convienently converted their opportunities. Aucoin, Walker and Bayda was the best line, any momentum the opponent gets can be immediately taken away by the offensive zone puck control they provide.

I'm with you - that line is driving the opposition crazy with their cycling and constant pressure... hope we didn't wear them out, 'cause we'll need that tonight!