The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Did you notice?

And bigtime faceoff wins at the end of the game!!!!"''''His over-all play has been 2nd to none since he put this team on his back!!!!

Don't know if anyone else took notice but against the Panthers, E. Staal made a stylistic change in his faceoff technique with great results.

After months trying constantly to win the puck cleanly, he finally took a page from Brindy's book, taking a quick swipe and then quickly pivoting into the dot to box out his opponent. Against the Kittens, Staal did it on two crucial third-period faceoffs in our end. Won 'em both.

As huge as his shootout winner was, this could prove to be the most important new dimension in Staal's game.

I saw it but didn't realize what I was looking at. Thanks for pointing it out. BTW another example of our coaches getting their job done. With so many young guys hungry to make it, coaching has go to be fun for them.

This season, Staal has vastly improved virtually every single aspect of a 2-way centerman's game. The faceoff circle seems to be his last bullet point on his mental to-do list this year it seems. Interesting observation TopShelf. I only saw the highlights of the game so thx for sharing this. Perhaps Staal will keep his new style up his sleeve for the huge faceoffs?