The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PuckYouInTheFiveHole

Post Game Analysis 3/20 - Florida Panthers

Plain and simple, the team, excluding Ward, was outplayed for 50 minutes. Possibley 48, since we ended the 3rd with some pressure.

The Rat Pack line was cycling the puck well throughout the game, but the Cats obviously figured it out by the 3rd period, since they intercepted the passes a couple times. We need Cullen back, to get a good 2nd line again. The reason the Rat Pack does so well is because they're the 3rd line and they're dealing with the 5th and 6th defenders on the opposing team.

Ward...Well, there's nothing you can't say about him tonight. Absolutely stole the show and stopped both shots in the shootout.

What a sweet win!Even when the boys don't play their best,they are finding ways to win.Their confidence level is pulling them thru.What a great time of the year to bring it all together!!!!

Ward's play in the shoot out had Barasso written all over it. Stayed in the net, no moving out 10 feet to "cut the angle down." IMNSHO Stopped both shots with solid, basic tending.

This is the "survive and advance" stlye of winning that the Wolfpack demonstrated in the 83 NCAAs.

For a change, we finally won a game we shouldn't have won.

But i'll take two points.

Ward is the man! He stole this game for us.

Walker and River rats looked good at times. So did Staal with his partners.

I am dissapointed with Eaves and Ruutu. They were invisible and had very hard time getting puck into offensive zone.

Ward was amazing tonight. Its too bad Wallin found himself out of position and left Weiss wide open otherwise that would have been well you know. Cam stole this game as I didn't think we played our best. Trevor's goal was a fluke and the shootout goals just kind of trickled through Vokoun. But its desperate times, it was against the kitty cats, so I will gladly take the 2 points. Now boys get showered and get the heck out of sunrise.

Staal continues to amaze me. That play in the 3rd where he just skated around and then banged the puck off the boards, picked it up and took a shot was sweet. Then he sealed the deal and helped his buddy not have to face Jokinen in the SO.

This team can really tug at your heart strings. As depleted and injured as they are, they still continue to find ways to win. I'm glad Lavi is giving them 3 days off. They absolutly deserve it. Rest the bodies, then mind and get ready to face the Caps.

And I'm so glad we were the ones to ruin their 7 game win streak. Because you know that kills them than if say the Caps ruined it.

For a change, we finally won a game we shouldn't have won.

But i'll take two points.

Ward is the man! He stole this game for us.

Walker and River rats looked good at times. So did Staal with his partners.

I am dissapointed with Eaves and Ruutu. They were invisible and had very hard time getting puck into offensive zone.

You might disagree, but i don't think Ruutu did that much since he joined Canes. Ladd was much better during his last few games as Cane.

Eaves I thought was ok. He's not putting up alot of points but he's doing some small things. Like putting his stick on Jokinens to keep him from scoring, I believe in the 2nd was ideal. Ruutu on the other hand, where are those hard hits he is known to make. Since his first 2 games I haven't really seen him make those hits. I'm not all that impressed right now.

After this game for the month of March, our PK is at 90.6%. What the heck is it gonna take to get out of the PK cellar!!!! IS #29 asking too much?

After this game for the month of March, our PK is at 90.6%. What the heck is it gonna take to get out of the PK cellar!!!! IS #29 asking too much?

I believe this conversation iis not game related and should be in a different thread. :rolleyes:

I believe this conversation iis not game related and should be in a different thread. :rolleyes:

Actually it is since our Pk went 6-0 tonight to bring it to the 90.6 % rating.

Actually it is since our Pk went 6-0 tonight to bring it to the 90.6 % rating.

Hey, watch it. :unsure: Nearly everybody but our PK units were invisible if you get right down to it. Ruutu is centering for Eaves and Letowski, is he not? It is a new combination. I wish I knew what Lavi was asking of them.

You know, being invisible may not be all bad. No glaring mistakes to shine a light on. Ruutu took some pretty darn hard hits and kept his composure. No stupid retaliation penalties. Very professional. While they were invisible in the attack mode, those guys do some serious forechecking and played hard in our zone. Eaves likely saved a goal when he took a penalty just before Wardo did his whirly bird save. :)

And isn't Ruutu on on one of the PK units? They did a pretty fair job tonight.

Hey, watch it. :unsure: Nearly everybody but our PK units were invisible if you get right down to it. Ruutu is centering for Eaves and Letowski, is he not? It is a new combination. I wish I knew what Lavi was asking of them.

Letowski was centering for Eaves and Ruutu.

and yes i see your point. It's just i expected Ruutu to have a better offensive edge than a defensive one.

Hello everyone, tonights game I thought was weak on our part but we still out shot them and won the game. A few notes that I have taken and surprised me was how the Panthers fans boo'd when Wallin went in the net with what it looked like an eye injury. Then when he got up they continued to boo. In my twenty three years of loving this game I have never seen a crowd boo when some one got injuried. Which makes me believe that either Panthers fan dont understand hockey or they are classless. Anyway I was hoping that three teams from the Southeast would get into the playoffs. But the way Florida keeps crying about diving and what not....I dont think I would mind if only two teams making it.

This was a HUGE win tonight, and as the old adage goes, "they don't ask how, just how many". Florida brought everything they had from late in the 1st period until midway throught the 3rd, but Ward did what any contending team's goaltender must do...steal a game sometimes. I was glad to see the 'Canes settle in midway through the 3rd knowing how important getting at least a point vs Florida was.

Was it just me, or did Cole leave his finishing skills in the car tonight? I know he played his *edit* off tonight, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't he misfire on 2-3 REALLY good scoring attempts?

Anyway, I'm thrilled they got all 4 points on this road trip. I believe a win vs Washington on Tuesday, and a full 6o minutes of playoff-type hockey from what will be a well-rested team, and we can finally enjoy the knowledge that we have more hockey to play this year.

The team playing back to back against a rested home team is a a major disadvantage. We were outplayed in that last two periods as one would expect of the tired team. The way to win the back half of a back to back is to come out hard early to score early, and hold on with excellent goaltending and a few breaks. Hey, it worked tonight!

I have said all along that we just need Cam to be an average but legitimately average NHL goalie. Well he was way above that tonght! It would take a collapse to miss the playoffs now, and can't see this group collapsing.

This was a HUGE win tonight, and as the old adage goes, "they don't ask how, just how many". Florida brought everything they had from late in the 1st period until midway throught the 3rd, but Ward did what any contending team's goaltender must do...steal a game sometimes. I was glad to see the 'Canes settle in midway through the 3rd knowing how important getting at least a point vs Florida was.

Was it just me, or did Cole leave his finishing skills in the car tonight? I know he played his butt off tonight, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't he misfire on 2-3 REALLY good scoring attempts?

Anyway, I'm thrilled they got all 4 points on this road trip. I believe a win vs Washington on Tuesday, and a full 6o minutes of playoff-type hockey from what will be a well-rested team, and we can finally enjoy the knowledge that we have more hockey to play this year.

Cole has all the skill in the world and when he does finish, its usually a thing of beauty. When he doesnt finish, its the most frustrating thing to watch cause if he just lifts the puck (easier said than done), he'd get it in the net 8 times out of 10.

Interesting that the post game comments from both coaches were polar opposites. Martin felt his dominated the whole game and Laviolette was pleased with the effort and the play of his teram. Laviolette took into consideration that his team was on the kill for most of the second period and took it as a huge positive that they were able to hold off the other team. Martin saw his team as dominating, not considering that his team had a man advantage for almost a whole period and couldnt score.

I'll say it now cause we won and it wont sound like blame but the reffing was attrocious for both sides. Didnt matter, Canes PK was solid and the still found a way to get 2 points. They've now found multiple ways to win including having the goalie steal a game which needed to happpen at some point for Cam to get to the next level.

Faceoffs are slowly getting better but still need to improve. Staal-48% Letowski-56% Aucoin-50% and Hamilton-17% :huh:

(Brookbank went 100% but only took one faceoff :) )

The Rats are still doing well but I fear that as the playoffs near and the match ups become that much more intense, and especially without Cullen, we're going to be exposed and the offense will struggle because we need three scoring lines. Hopefully Im wrong.

Was it just me, or did Cole leave his finishing skills in the car tonight? I know he played his butt off tonight, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't he misfire on 2-3 REALLY good scoring attempts?

Cole has all the skill in the world and when he does finish, its usually a thing of beauty. When he doesnt finish, its the most frustrating thing to watch cause if he just lifts the puck (easier said than done), he'd get it in the net 8 times out of 10.

Interesting that the post game comments from both coaches were polar opposites. Martin felt his dominated the whole game and Laviolette was pleased with the effort and the play of his teram. Laviolette took into consideration that his team was on the kill for most of the second period and took it as a huge positive that they were able to hold off the other team. Martin saw his team as dominating, not considering that his team had a man advantage for almost a whole period and couldnt score.

I'll say it now cause we won and it wont sound like blame but the reffing was attrocious for both sides. Didnt matter, Canes PK was solid and the still found a way to get 2 points. They've now found multiple ways to win including having the goalie steal a game which needed to happpen at some point for Cam to get to the next level.

Faceoffs are slowly getting better but still need to improve. Staal-48% Letowski-56% Aucoin-50% and Hamilton-17% :huh:

(Brookbank went 100% but only took one faceoff :) )

The Rats are still doing well but I fear that as the playoffs near and the match ups become that much more intense, and especially without Cullen, we're going to be exposed and the offense will struggle because we need three scoring lines. Hopefully Im wrong.

Letowski was centering for Eaves and Ruutu.

and yes i see your point. It's just i expected Ruutu to have a better offensive edge than a defensive one.

I just checked the depth chart and you are right about Letowski. Ruutu was introduced as the center at the RBC several games ago and appeared to be centering that line last night. I would guess that those two guys are pretty interchangeable. We can agree that Eaves is on the wing. :)

I don't think Ruutu was traded for Ladd for his scoring prowess. He does have stick handling abilities and has made a few awesome moves. He did a "crossover dribble" and assisted Samsonov a couple of games ago that was just unreal.

Tonight he was on the PK, PP took FOs. Much more versatile than Ladd. A more complete player. I am waiting to see some more of those hits he showed up delivering his first night. I wonder if Lavi called him off. We don't need retaliation.

BTW Letowski was 56% on 16 FOs and Staal, 48% on 26. Poor old Jeff was 1 for 6. I thought Hammy was playing well but he was logged only about 7 minutes. Didn't see him on the PP as I recall.

Hello everyone, tonights game I thought was weak on our part but we still out shot them and won the game. A few notes that I have taken and surprised me was how the Panthers fans boo'd when Wallin went in the net with what it looked like an eye injury. Then when he got up they continued to boo. In my twenty three years of loving this game I have never seen a crowd boo when some one got injuried. Which makes me believe that either Panthers fan dont understand hockey or they are classless. Anyway I was hoping that three teams from the Southeast would get into the playoffs. But the way Florida keeps crying about diving and what not....I dont think I would mind if only two teams making it.

Maybe they thought he was diving. :blink: You know a stick in the eye is no reason to fall down. :rolleyes:

According to the Panthers board, they were booing and screaming because the refs took so long to blow the whistle.

I thought they were booing because the refs blew the whistle when the Panthers still had possession. They'd have every right if that was the reason. Normally, refs aren't suppose to blow whistles on injuries unless it's a head injury or when the injured player's team has possession. Neither happened there.

According to the Panthers board, they were booing and screaming because the refs took so long to blow the whistle.

I thought they were booing because the refs blew the whistle when the Panthers still had possession. They'd have every right if that was the reason. Normally, refs aren't suppose to blow whistles on injuries unless it's a head injury or when the injured player's team has possession. Neither happened there.

Yeah, but he was down and defenseless right in front of the net. Very high potential for injury like that. The refs would've been reprimanded pretty heavily if play had continued and Nic had gotten seriously injured. It was the right move to stop play.