The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
philsmith

Will Hedican retire or trade at end of this year

Hedican has been hurting all year. I think he knows he is hanging them up after this year.

Retire! Though I se Wesley enduring another year. He wants to be in the top 5 of most games played by a defenseman. I also heard him say one ring was not enough. Look for him again next year.

From AOL Sports blog. http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/24/kristi-yamaguchi-dancer-hockey-wife-blogger/' target="_blank">http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/24/...y-wife-blogger/[/post]

Kristi says she, "plans to move back to the Bay Area this year, so her kids can grow up with their cousins," as Yamaguchi told ABC News, how will that affect the future for 36-year-old Hedican, who is a UFA after this season? :(

trade option is not on the table, he is in the final year of his contract.

trade option is not on the table, he is in the final year of his contract.

He could still be traded, though finding a taker would be nearly impossible. Remember Philly acquired Hartnell and Timonen in the offseason through trades right before the UFA deadline so they wouldn't hit the market. However, Hedican has no where near that value, since it is probably expected that he will hit the market without a lot of bidding.

It is very unlikely he'd get traded after the season is over, but not impossible.

He could still be traded, though finding a taker would be nearly impossible. Remember Philly acquired Hartnell and Timonen in the offseason through trades right before the UFA deadline so they wouldn't hit the market. However, Hedican has no where near that value, since it is probably expected that he will hit the market without a lot of bidding.

It is very unlikely he'd get traded after the season is over, but not impossible.

I would bet my life on it!! Hedican isn't Hartnell or Timonen, everyone knows his health issues and if they wait a few weeks they won't have to give up anything. Plus i think he has a NTC.

I would bet my life on it!! Hedican isn't Hartnell or Timonen, everyone knows his health issues and if they wait a few weeks they won't have to give up anything. Plus i think he has a NTC.

Well, if they move to Calif. he could always help out the Kings!... :lol:

Hedican should retire; and I believe he will. Much of the outcome of the Hurricanes leading up to and into the playoffs this year will rest on his shoulders. When he plays well and avoids turnovers and unwise penalties, we almost always win. He can add stability to the defense; but all in all, he has punished his body enough. It's always better for an athlete to retire before it is obvious to himself, his coaches, and the fans that he should have retired the year before he did.

I agree, but it isn't zero chance, its like 0.00000000000000000000000000000001%. Tiny but still greater than zero, so it is on the table.

I'd say it's about 90-95% certain that he'd retire. If he were to continue in hockey, I'd look for him to lean more toward a front office or coaching position, possibly the Sharks if they have something available, as Kristi lived in San Jose for quite a number of years and they seem to want to return to northern California. I'm guessing they'd split time in MN, as Hedican is from there and I believe still spends at least part of the year there.

IIRC, Kristi's foundation is headquartered in northern CA so it also makes sense to be there if she'd like to continue taking a more active role in day-to-day operations as their kids get older.

Me too I think he will retire. Even though I hate to think that. Maybe we could get Aaron Ward to take his place after that? That be cool to see him back along with Wesley.

yeah Aaron ward still has a house here and he said he wants to play most of his career and retire here in Carolina.

I would imagine that he may be considering retirement a little more after that hit Ovechkin put on him last night. Kristi may be dancing with the stars, but Bret had to be seeing stars for a few minutes.

I agree, but it isn't zero chance, its like 0.00000000000000000000000000000001%. Tiny but still greater than zero, so it is on the table.

ok, well if it did happen it would be one of the dumbest things done in hockey that didn't involve the islanders or blackhawks.

I would be nervous to have Aaron Ward back for the fact that he has had a lot of injuires this year. I like him and how hard he plays but will injuires be an issue for him now?

I think we should get a younger player to take his spot. maybe Casey B. can step up!

Bret is moving alot slower as the season grinds on. He is still playing solid and has a big impact on the D. Hate to see him go if and when he makes the call.