The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Injury Update

whats up with matt cullen? he didnt play tonight and matt karash on hockeybuzz made a comment about sundin being an interesting prospect with cullen's "situation"

Forslund said Cullen is still feeling the effect of the concussion....vision problems.

Forslund said Cullen is still feeling the effect of the concussion....vision problems.

Just a question because i have NO medical knowledge other than the numerous hospital visits of my own as a child...but i digress.. Shouldnt he be getting over this by now? or is this a normal thing to still be having problems from a concussion? seems i heard it was a grade 3 concussion?? or something like that..i dunno..just sounds like something else may be going on?

Just a question because i have NO medical knowledge other than the numerous hospital visits of my own as a child...but i digress.. Shouldnt he be getting over this by now? or is this a normal thing to still be having problems from a concussion? seems i heard it was a grade 3 concussion?? or something like that..i dunno..just sounds like something else may be going on?

Concussions are hard to depict. Many players have had entire seasons lost b/c of them. Heck, Pat Lafontaine had his career end from multiple concussions.

whats up with matt cullen? he didnt play tonight and matt karash on hockeybuzz made a comment about sundin being an interesting prospect with cullen's "situation"

Oh man hockeybuzz makes me laugh with that one.

But i hope Matt cullen isn't out for too long, the guy is having a career year.

On the postgame report last night Mike asked Forslund if he thinks JR would look to add offense with Cullen's situation up in the air and Forslund said No. He said that JR's first priority is the defense. Said either Hamilton will have to find his game quick, or they send him down for a conditioning stint and bring up Aucoin.

The thing with Matt is some days are good and some are bad. They said he could play a game, then sit out the next 2, then play 2, sit out 1, etc. So I don't think making a trade for offesne is really the way to go. We need to sure up the defense first and foremost.

Cullen is out indefinetly and won't be travelling with the team:

Frustrated Cullen sitting out indefinitely

Matt Cullen won't travel with the Hurricanes to Pittsburgh this afternoon and doesn't know when he'll rejoin the team. Even Cullen called it an "ongoing saga."

He didn't skate Friday and remains out indefinitely with vision problems stemming from the head injury

Maybe he just needs contacts J/K.

I dont freally understand why the team is dead against calling this a concussion. At this point, he's going to be out awhile as it is so it cant be because of the league's concussion rule. If its not a concussion (which I doubt), I hope its nothing serious. Im sure they're looking at evrything though.

I dont freally understand why the team is dead against calling this a concussion. At this point, he's going to be out awhile as it is so it cant be because of the league's concussion rule. If its not a concussion (which I doubt), I hope its nothing serious. Im sure they're looking at evrything though.

ok...i gotta ask. Whats the rule? never heard of it? :huh:

At this point, he's going to be out awhile as it is so it cant be because of the league's concussion rule.

Out of curiosity, what is the league's concussion rule?

EDIT: good timing! :P

Cant remember the exact amount of days but the league rule state that a player must sit out 7(?) days after being cleared by the team physican, who states that he is symptom free.

Cant remember the exact amount of days but the league rule state that a player must sit out 7(?) days after being cleared by the team physican, who states that he is symptom free.

Isn't it that a player has to sit out the same number of games extra that they were forced to sit out due to symptoms of the concussion? So 2 games you sit out 4, or 10 games 20 total, etc.

Which, at the rate Cullen is going, would mean he'd have to sit out pretty much the rest of the season if he's still feeling the effects of the concussion considering how long this has been going on. So no way they want to officially declare it one at this point.

Isn't it that a player has to sit out the same number of games extra that they were forced to sit out due to symptoms of the concussion? So 2 games you sit out 4, or 10 games 20 total, etc.

Which, at the rate Cullen is going, would mean he'd have to sit out pretty much the rest of the season if he's still feeling the effects of the concussion considering how long this has been going on. So no way they want to officially declare it one at this point.

Haven't heard that one. Maybe a good question for Caniac Corner?

Im pretty sure its 7 days, symptom free.

I think they'd changed it from that this year to where you have to sit out the same number of days (oops, not games like I said above) extra that you were experiencing the symptoms. Plus you have to take some sort of test that you have to pass the baseline score you get from when you take it at the beginning of the season. It's a lot more difficult to come back from a concussion than in years past, though. The league is trying to keep players from coming back too soon. Looks like Cullen may be a prime example of why they have these new rules.

John and Tripp talked a lot about it back in late December when Cullen, LaRose, and Tanabe were all out with concussions. Maybe someone else has some links to info on it?

But you must remember that Matt passed his base line tests and that why they are not calling it a concussion.

But you must remember that Matt passed his base line tests and that why they are not calling it a concussion.

Maybe so, or maybe they wont call it a concussion so he'll be available whenever they agree he's ready.

Maybe so, or maybe they wont call it a concussion so he'll be available whenever they agree he's ready.

Concussions are hard to depict. Many players have had entire seasons lost b/c of them. Heck, Pat Lafontaine had his career end from multiple concussions.

:( Don't remind me. He was insane.

Many players have had entire seasons lost b/c of them. Heck, Pat Lafontaine had his career end from multiple concussions.

As did Keith Primeau. I feel bad for him really, left our organization and missed out on 2 finals appearances. ;)

Its not a team decision. It is a league mandated base line test and he has passed them.