The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Injury Update

Apparently Walker didnt practice today... Get some back, lose some more. This has got to end.

I wouldn't worry too much about Walker. Lavi has given guys off here and there if they are bruised up. He took a pretty bad hit against the glass last night but was no worse for wear when he came back. Lavi probably just gave him the day off to rest.

What is the deal with Cullen? Is he still having sight problems? I really hope he can come back for the playoffs. As far as Williams, I just don't want him to come back, hurt his knee AGAIN, and he be done for good. There are some crooked palyers out there that would target that knee. Smae with LaRose.

It got posted somewhere else but I suppose it also belongs here...

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Another surgery, this time for Eaves

Ready or not, Chad LaRose is going back into the lineup because Patrick Eaves is the latest Carolina player to go under the knife.

Eaves will have surgery Friday or Saturday on his left shoulder, which kept him out of the lineup when he arrived from Ottawa and a few games since.

Eaves is having the same procedure that Niclas Wallin had in November. He was expected to miss 3-4 weeks but was back in two.

So LaRose, who skated on the second line Thursday with Trevor Letowski and Tuomo Ruutu, will play with only one contact practice under his belt.

"I feel good," LaRose said. "It's a back-to-back so we'll have to be cautious."

Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said LaRose will be in the lineup Friday and they'll worry about Saturday when it comes.

"We're not anywhere yet," Laviolette said. "We're fighting like crazy."

LaRose broke his leg on Feb. 5 in Nashville.

Link

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index....p;tb=1&pb=1

Oye vey... I'm starting to think the RBC Center is built on an Indian burrial ground.

You have got to be freakin kidding me. What is it with these stupid shoulder injuries. I swear this team has more injuries to the shoulder than anything. Oh that and the knee...LOL.

I have to admit, I'm excited about seeing the gnat back on the ice. We desperatly need a win tomorrow night, so I can see playing Chad at home. If we win tomorrow, than Saturday's game doesn't become a pressure HAVE to win game so we can let Chad rest.

But the whole injury thing is getting obnoxious. I think the team made a pact with the hockey gods that if they won the cup in 2006, than the hockey gods could give them injuries.

You have got to be freakin kidding me. What is it with these stupid shoulder injuries. I swear this team has more injuries to the shoulder than anything. Oh that and the knee...LOL.

But the whole injury thing is getting obnoxious. I think the team made a pact with the hockey gods that if they won the cup in 2006, than the hockey gods could give them injuries.

Well, we could "technically" blame the Sens for this one, since he was injured when he got here. Maybe send them the bill or something?? :P

Well, we could "technically" blame the Sens for this one, since he was injured when he got here. Maybe send them the bill or something?? :P

I don't know, given what we gave up and the production we have gotten out of Corvo, this was still a good deal. I mean would you really want to swap back??

I don't know, given what we gave up and the production we have gotten out of Corvo, this was still a good deal. I mean would you really want to swap back??

No Corvo is not going back :P

I guess its best to have Eaves get it taken care of now. No point in having him play if he isn't 100%. This way next year he'll be 100% and then we can really see what he's got.

No Corvo is not going back :P

I guess its best to have Eaves get it taken care of now. No point in having him play if he isn't 100%. This way next year he'll be 100% and then we can really see what he's got.

As long as he doesnt go all "Kaberle" on us :wacko: and take a whole year to recover, it should all work out.

As long as he doesnt go all "Kaberle" on us :wacko: and take a whole year to recover, it should all work out.

They said its the same surgery Wallin had and he recovered pretty quickly.

Kaberle's injury was the worst you can have. His apparently was inside the rotary or whatever and the recovery time on that is longer. Doesn't sound like Eaves has the same injury Kaberle did.

Forslund updated his blog... Here's the injury part:

Yes, you will see Chad LaRose tomorrow night. His recovery is complete and he will be in the line up versus the Thrashers. He will play on the right side on Trevor Letowski's line. Ruutu and LaRose are the book ends for Letowski that should be interesting. The void on that line is left by Patrick Eaves, who will have surgery on his left shoulder. He came from Ottawa damaged and gave it a shot.

The player and the team came to that place where they had to make a choice. It's obvious the other option of playing through it was not working. Matt Cullen (head) has had a couple of better days of late but again don't read much into that - he will remain out. Ray Whitney (ankle) continues to rehab and is coming along fine. He should play next week and be ready for the playoffs. Justin Williams (knee) continues to skate in a blue no contact sweater. He does look great. This player should be ready for post-season action. Justin will join Tripp and me in the booth during the second period of Friday night's broadcast.

Fingers-crossed, all of Forslund's injury news is upbeat. Hopefully, Cullen continues to get the brain back where it belongs...it would be great if he could be on the ice for the Caps game next week.

Ruutu-Letowski-LaRose...that should be an interesting 'hitter-grinder-little pest' line! :)

Do we have a running total of man-games lost to injury. Are we knocking on 400 yet? What is the all-time NHL record?

I like the grit the Hurricanes have shown this year, but when consider our second line is Larose-Letowski-Ruutu, that speaks to the smoke and mirrors we are using. Please win 3 out of the last 5 guys. That's all you need.

Hopefully, Cullen continues to get the brain back where it belongs...it would be great if he could be on the ice for the Caps game next week.

Absolutely not going to happen. Being optimistic person I am, I don't expect him back until middle of 1st round of playoffs

Do we have a running total of man-games lost to injury. Are we knocking on 400 yet? What is the all-time NHL record?

From someone (not me) who keeps the count:

Games lost to injury through 3/28

David Tanabe: 43

Justin Williams: 42

Scott Walker: 24

Chad LaRose: 24

Andrew Ladd: 22

Matt Cullen: 21

Dennis Seidenberg: 18

Rod Brind'Amour: 19

Mike Commodore: 16

Niclas Wallin: 16

Ray Whitney: 15

Bret Hedican: 14

Patrick Eaves: 9

Erik Cole: 9

Trevor Letowski: 6

Wade Brookbank: 5

Glen Wesley: 4

Cory Stillman: 3

Frank Kaberle: 2

Tim Gleason: 2

Joe Corvo: 1

Joe Jensen: 1

Total: 322

Currently out: Justin Williams (Knee), David Tanabe (Concussion), Rod Brind'Amour (Knee), Ray Whitney (Leg), Matt Cullen (Concussion), Patrick Eaves (Shoulder)

I believe NHL record belongs to LA kings when they lost one year some 600 + man hours.

I like the grit the Hurricanes have shown this year, but when consider our second line is Larose-Letowski-Ruutu, that speaks to the smoke and mirrors we are using. Please win 3 out of the last 5 guys. That's all you need.

TSA calculated it, I think he said we're around 320 or so. The all-time NHL record happened to the Kings in like 03 where they lost more than 600 man-games.

Their first line was out for the entire season, basically.

So we are looking at about 350 or so by the time the season is over? Amazing that we have a ghost of a chance at the playoffs. Great job by Lavi to keep these guys playing yard.

Win 3 of 5 and we're in.

I went to the pre-game skate this morning and LaRose seemed to be ready...and, so did Williams. Williams was still wearing the blue jersey, but worked hard with the guys and after most of them had left, Willie was out there doing hard cuts and turns, stops and starts, and going at Grahame with practice breakaways with an assistant coach or two whacking at him with a stick in a game-like simulation. :)

Hopefully, Cullen continues to get the brain back where it belongs...it would be great if he could be on the ice for the Caps game next week.
Absolutely not going to happen. Being optimistic person I am, I don't expect him back until middle of 1st round of playoffs.

Not so quick, DMonk, this was just posted in the N&O Blog:

A positive development regarding Matt Cullen: While the Hurricanes were on the ice for their morning skate today, Cullen was in the weight room working out with Ray Whitney.

That's the first step toward getting back into the lineup for Cullen, who has been out since March 14 with a recurrence of his post-concussion symptoms.

Try to be optimistic DMan...you might like it! B)

Cullen in weight room, Whitney not yet on ice

A positive development regarding Matt Cullen: While the Hurricanes were on the ice for their morning skate today, Cullen was in the weight room working out with Ray Whitney.

That's the first step toward getting back into the lineup for Cullen, who has been out since March 14 with a recurrence of his post-concussion symptoms.

Whitney will hit the two-week mark Saturday since surgery to remove an infected bursa in his ankle, a procedure that had a 2-3 week recovery time, but he's closer to the later end of that window.

While he took a spin on the ice before Friday's skate, he's still having issues with his ankle and isn't expected to return to practice until next week.

I'll post tonight's lineups later. Tim Conboy and Dennis Seidenberg are scratches for the Canes. Cam Ward gets the start.

Cullen in weight room, Whitney not yet on ice

Whitney will hit the two-week mark Saturday since surgery to remove an infected bursa in his ankle, a procedure that had a 2-3 week recovery time, but he's closer to the later end of that window.

While he took a spin on the ice before Friday's skate, he's still having issues with his ankle and isn't expected to return to practice until next week.

I'll post tonight's lineups later. Tim Conboy and Dennis Seidenberg are scratches for the Canes. Cam Ward gets the start.

Does anyone know how Brindy's rehab is coming? I know he will not be back this year but was curious if he is pushing himself as we all expect he would. Is he lifting weights with his knee yet?

Just curious how the Captain is staying busy right now. I would hope he would be reviewing tapes and working on each player telling them what to work on as well.

Any information would be greatful!

Not so quick, DMonk, this was just posted in the N&O Blog:

Try to be optimistic DMan...you might like it! B)

I am trying. Cullen is one of my fav guys in this team. I am really worried about his health. He was rushed to play before and i just don't want it to happen again, even if he says he is ready. Doctors should keep him out of action until it is 1000% safe