The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Why Are the Canes so Good Now?

eric staal. it comes down to him, everything flows through him. he has that little something extra, you can see it in the faceoff circle, you can see it down low forechecking along the half-wall...he is playing with a fury like we havent seen since the cup finals. you're looking at rod brind'amour's successor.

The Canes are 9-1-1 in March. What a great time to get hot! But what an odd time to get hot, given that we were stumbling before the loss of Brindy, LaRose, Cullen, Whitney, etc. Not to mention the early loss of Williams and the eventual trade of a top producer like Stilllman. Yet here we are outscoring our opponents 43-25 and beating whomever is on the schedule. Why are we suddenly so good with a team that has sustained more losses than the Roman Gladiators?

Eric Staal

With the injuries the overall age of the team dropped dramatically, which created an increase in the overall team speed. Speed = success in Laviolette's system and that is what we have seen these last couple of weeks.

I would also say Corvo's ability on the powerplay has contributed quite a bit to everyone's play on the powerplay.

I kinda feel that there isn't one, two, or even three people to give the credit. I mean stats cant lie, Staal and cam have put on an amazing show as of recent, so obviously we wouldnt be here without them. but also JR's ability to find players and actually have the guts to change things up works well for our system. Anyone want to argue that ruutu, samsonov, and corvo have had a neutral impact? but then again i feel these players mesh perfectly into lavi's coaching style, and him finding great chemistry lines really gives our team the edge. but now look at who our recent heros...letowski and hamilton....we have to give our energy line guys credit for producing points as well as giving the team a spark. I mean personally this is how i feel, not just that 'there is no "I" in team' stuff, but seriously its just a collective effort that the team gives off that we haven't had since the '06 season. So for now im just going to give all the credit to the storm squad, why not.

JR.

Ditto, it definitely came down to JR and his magic. Yes, Staal and Ward & Lavi played a big role, but our GM made some crucial decisions that changed the entire circle of events. I mean think about it--- the more we lost our great players---the better we got (shrugs arms and says "I don't know") JR is the puppetmaster and the rest are just his puppets that he played like he wanted them to and brought in more puppets to help (1st with the Ratpack then Samsonov, Corvo & Rutuu).

It comes down to the order of the greatness: JR, Lavi, Staal, Ward, Samsonov, Ratpack, Corvo, Rutuu.

Yes our veteran players played a role too, but they were also there when we were spiraling out of control. The biggests changes in veteran leaders for the team has come down to Staal and Ward.

One of the biggest changes Lavi allowed us to use was an enforcer (Brookbank and Conboy), it also changed the dynamics of this team and the way other teams in the NHL viewed us. We now are seen as a team to be reckoned with!

Whats the reason?

a few things

Improved play of Cam Ward

Trades to bring in better talent for our style

More desperate play by the team itself

Developed leadership of Eric Staal

but then again, you also have to note that the quality of teams that we've been playing has taken a downturn, which certainly hasn't hurt...

So when you combine all of those things together, you get the reasons for our play as of late

I kinda feel that there isn't one, two, or even three people to give the credit. I mean stats cant lie, Staal and cam have put on an amazing show as of recent, so obviously we wouldnt be here without them. but also JR's ability to find players and actually have the guts to change things up works well for our system. Anyone want to argue that ruutu, samsonov, and corvo have had a neutral impact? but then again i feel these players mesh perfectly into lavi's coaching style, and him finding great chemistry lines really gives our team the edge. but now look at who our recent heros...letowski and hamilton....we have to give our energy line guys credit for producing points as well as giving the team a spark. I mean personally this is how i feel, not just that 'there is no "I" in team' @#$%, but seriously its just a collective effort that the team gives off that we haven't had since the '06 season. So for now im just going to give all the credit to the storm squad, why not.

I agree with that statement. Storm Squad brings more fans, which brings louder cheering, which gives a confidence boost to the players, and results in Eric Staal's production recently. I finally get it! :lol:

It's a jinx thread. Everyone scatter! :o

Seriously people, do we really want to curse ourselves again? :wacko: :ph34r:

I'd have to say an upbeat in defense and more productions from offense. Seems that our D really knows that they had to help Cam out a bunch. I'm not a gigantic Kaberle fan (don't hate him either), but I must say that his game looks a little more stepped up lately. And back in February, our scorers seemed fairly distant. Any games won were by about a goal or 2. But last night, 7-1?!!?!?!

Yes, Staal has stepped up big time, but Cullen (before he was injured...again!), Samsonov, and Corvo have been scoring. The Bayda-Aucoin-Walker line has been brilliant, too. They might not be putting up huge numbers, but when they're on the ice, the puck is in the offensive zone, which means the other team isn't scoring!

Interesting. Didn't realize so many fans were so superstitious. I guess it's ok to dissect every last atom of why we are playing badly, call out the coach, Staal, etc. But when the team is playing well...OOOO don't look at it. Don't even talk about it. Don't even read this. I must admit though, that I am amazed at my cosmic power if I can bring the team down with a thread about how good their playing.

I think it is a fascinating subject. The team loses up to 5 of its top producers and goes on a 9-1-1 tear.

But hey, if I've uspset the astrology-reading, psychic-going crowd, well EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!

It's the way of sports. If someone's on pace to bowl a 300 game, you don't mention it. If a pitcher's on pace to pitch a perfect game, you don't mention it. If a goalie looks like he might get a shutout, you don't mention it.

If a team is doing well when all logic says that they should be floundering, don't question it. Accept it.

Well we're not about to bowl a 300, or pitch a perfect game, or even get a shut out. We've just turned our play around recently despite some serious drawbacks, and it is fundamentally interesting to me as a hockey fan, why this occured.

Teams win about 25-30% of the time that they are back to back vs. a rested home team, and we have faired pretty badly in Tampa, so perhaps I should have waited so it didn't look like black magic that we lost that one last night. Of course we almost pulled it off, whereas the last back to back team we were waiting for lost to us 7-1, so perhaps I gave us some good mojo that we were in the game at all.

I did have some thoughts on why we are playing better, but I dare not post them.

We're on a run that rarely happens. Like a 300 game, like a perfect game, like a shutout. You don't question why events like these happen in sports. You just accept that they're happening.

I should start a new poll. How many think that what we write on this message board actually affects the outcome of the games? Oh, and also, just wondering who makes up these rules about what things are things that "you don't question". It is every bit as interesting why we're doing well, as it was as to why we were doing so badly. But it was o.k. to have endless threads about why we were playing poorly.

Look, I will respect the superstitions of others. I would sit quietly by if you were about to bowl a 300. Just don't think this qualifies as that type of event. But if it does, then fine. I'll follow orders and "just accept" it.

I posted it in another thread a while back that I think the reason the team has played better has more to do with who's out of the lione up rather than who's in it.

We needed to get younger and faster to play Laviolette's system, and some of the youger stars needed the chance to get more minutes in more situations to be able to bring their game to another level. It was a morphing of the team that had to happen, its just unfortunate that it was at the cost of some well loved fan favorites.

I posted it in another thread a while back that I think the reason the team has played better has more to do with who's out of the lione up rather than who's in it.

We needed to get younger and faster to play Laviolette's system, and some of the youger stars needed the chance to get more minutes in more situations to be able to bring their game to another level. It was a morphing of the team that had to happen, its just unfortunate that it was at the cost of some well loved fan favorites.

This is kind of what I was fishing for. I think that Cam's improved play is a major factor, but other than that, I wonder about the "addition by subtraction" thing. Brind'Amour is the man, and is a phenominal two way player, but I think that the team was leaning on him too much. I also wonder about Stillman. He just wasn't producing, and he is a producer.

We bring in two guys in Corvo and especially Ruutu who just can't seem to get over how happy they are to be here. Then add that we finally have an offensively skilled dman. Then add a touch of AHL level players to work the cycle to perfection and who once again can't get over how lucky they are to be here.

Then add a nearly washed up Sampsonov who also has got to be thinking he won the lottery to be here, and a young superstar who finally has the room to step up and develop his leadership and the entire attitude of the team turns hugely positive on a dime.

I guess in the end you've got to credit JR.

I just thought that this was interesting.

OK, I will stop now.

Interesting. Didn't realize so many fans were so superstitious. I guess it's ok to dissect every last atom of why we are playing badly, call out the coach, Staal, etc. But when the team is playing well...OOOO don't look at it. Don't even talk about it. Don't even read this. I must admit though, that I am amazed at my cosmic power if I can bring the team down with a thread about how good their playing.

I think it is a fascinating subject. The team loses up to 5 of its top producers and goes on a 9-1-1 tear.

But hey, if I've uspset the astrology-reading, psychic-going crowd, well EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!

Look, it doesn't take much to upset this crowd. And that probably applies to any message board. Too many people with opinions that everyone thinks are right. Lately we've decided we can't do the wave, don't chant Ruuuuuuuu unless he scores, only do the "you suck" cheer when you are up by 8 goal or more, bla bla bla. I mostly read this board for comic relief.

Hockey fans, players etc. seem to be a bit more superstitious than most, and I am no different. While the rational mind knows that what shirt I wear to a game will have no impact on the outcome, I do it anyway. I forgot my lucky hat at the last Caps game. What happened? Shootout loss. My bad. Won't happen again.

Basically, just remember that if you post, you'll get flamed by someone. Just don't take it personally. I didn't have a problem with the original post at all even though I agree saying , "hope he gets the shutout (hat trick)( no hitter) etc. is a jinx. Fact is, the players have to win it on the ice no matter what we do.

Look, it doesn't take much to upset this crowd. And that probably applies to any message board. Too many people with opinions that everyone thinks are right. Lately we've decided we can't do the wave, don't chant Ruuuuuuuu unless he scores, only do the "you suck" cheer when you are up by 8 goal or more, bla bla bla. I mostly read this board for comic relief.

Hockey fans, players etc. seem to be a bit more superstitious than most, and I am no different. While the rational mind knows that what shirt I wear to a game will have no impact on the outcome, I do it anyway. I forgot my lucky hat at the last Caps game. What happened? Shootout loss. My bad. Won't happen again.

Basically, just remember that if you post, you'll get flamed by someone. Just don't take it personally. I didn't have a problem with the original post at all even though I agree saying , "hope he gets the shutout (hat trick)( no hitter) etc. is a jinx. Fact is, the players have to win it on the ice no matter what we do.

Haha, who would have thought the voice of reason would come from Mayberry?