The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

When do we play Graham?

Ok here we go with the Graham topic again. :blink: 2 questions:

1. Do we play Graham tonight being it's a back to back game or do we play Ward to try and clinch the playoff?

2. When do we play Graham? Do we start playing him if we clinch the playoffs to give Ward some rest and give Graham some playing time for down the line if we need him?

I am torn on this topic. I of course want to leave Ward in since he's doing so well and afraid the rest might knock him off his game. On the other hand, if we continue to play him and not give Graham some playing time, what if we need him down the line and he's very cold from not playing or take a chance on Ward getting hurt in games that don't really count? Let's not forget what happened to Edmonton's goalie in the SC run. I think we as fans have to turn off our personal feelings for Graham and look at the big picture of what we need to do. Having said this I'm still torn.

Until we clinch the logic is to ride the hot goalie (and Crumbs isn't that). Graham's inconsistent play has put him in the position he is in. Once the season ends i see us calling up Leighton and he will be the backup thru the playoffs.

Not on 4/2... That's my birthday and I will be POed if Crackers was in goal and lost...

I will be none to happy if Wardo loses but I would be real ticked off if John does...

Until we clinch the logic is to ride the hot goalie (and Crumbs isn't that). Graham's inconsistent play has put him in the position he is in. Once the season ends i see us calling up Leighton and he will be the backup thru the playoffs.

Wow C97, that is interesting. I haven't thought about that. This will be very interesting to see what happens. Don't you think they (Rats) will keep Leighton through their playoffs first though? If not, I would be one wild mad Rat fan if they took Leighton during their playoff run.

Wow C97, that is interesting. I haven't thought about that. This will be very interesting to see what happens. Don't you think they (Rats) will keep Leighton through their playoffs first though? If not, I would be one wild mad Rat fan if they took Leighton during their playoff run.

RU refering to MAX too... LOL Sorry Max I could not resist...

you have to look at the big picture, who would you want backing up Ward during the playoff run Crumbs or Lightning?? JR isn't thinking about AHL championships, he wants another Cup!! Once our regular season ends we can and will pull up two forwards (or keep two instead of sending them down), 1 or 2 defenseman and a goalie.

Grahame plays as soon as we clinch the southeast, we won't go higher than the 3rd seed, so Ward needs rest, he's played a ridiculous amount of games in a row. I don't want burnout come playoff time like the Devils do with brodeur.

With only four games left in the season and Grahame becoming a UFA this summer, I don't see him ever starting another game as a Hurricane. Ward can handle four more games, then he gets a little rest before the playoffs.

No way Grahame goes tonight, and if we win, and so does washington, same with the next game. If we clinch tonight, maybe Tuesday. I just hope he isn't played Friday, cause I'm going! It will be my fourth game this year, I've seen ward for the first three, and they have one all three of them. I hope we can have one more start for Ward and they can be a perfect 4 and 0 with me in the building this year! Last year I went to four also, and three were Grahame, I sure don't want to see him again.....

I have been thinking the same as you about Leighton. I think you will see him up here the last few games before the playoffs to get up to speed, playing probably twice, but at least once, then as our backup in the playoffs. The only reason he is in the AHL and not Grahame IMO is cause they want him in goal developing, they know that no amount of developing will help Grahame, so he just rides the bench in case Wardo is off, Grahame is a good goaltender when he has to jump in a game, but he is horrible when he knows he is going to be in goal. Probably it is a mental problem, psyching himself out, but a problem nonetheless.

No way Grahame goes tonight, and if we win, and so does washington, same with the next game. If we clinch tonight, maybe Tuesday. I just hope he isn't played Friday, cause I'm going! It will be my fourth game this year, I've seen ward for the first three, and they have one all three of them. I hope we can have one more start for Ward and they can be a perfect 4 and 0 with me in the building this year! Last year I went to four also, and three were Grahame, I sure don't want to see him again.....

I think Ward will start more than once more, probably all the games but one or two. He has been great about playing as the number 1, I can't see giving him too much time off and possibly getting out of his zone.

Don't play Grahame against the Lightning. Especially not IN Tampa Bay.

I agree. Grahame doesn't have a good record against the lightning. Ward has played in in a lot of consecutive games but, there have been days of rest in between and the Easter break gave him extra rest as well. So the game count is a little deceiving. I say play Ward until we clinch and then give him a rest.

Grahame plays as soon as we clinch the southeast, we won't go higher than the 3rd seed, so Ward needs rest, he's played a ridiculous amount of games in a row. I don't want burnout come playoff time like the Devils do with brodeur.

That's what I think too, just to give him a breather, even if it is just a game. Until it happens though, gotta go to Cam. The good thing is, we're now seeing the long-term benefits of his off season fitness push. Great goalies don't just win, they are workhorses who can take the grind of playing the bulk of the games over the course of an 82 game season.

Hopefully we will have the luxury of playing our back up for the next back to back (probably in the back end game vs. Tampa Bay). We will need our back up in any run for the cup. Remember that not only did we win the cup with our back up, but Ward needed to be pulled at one point before getting back on track. Better if he gets some work in.

I wonder if the coach might split actual games to get them both in? If we clinch, maybe Ward starts, plays a period, then comes out. I was wondering about pulling him at some point last night, just to keep him rested for tonight.

On the Leighton thing. Very interesting if it happens. The sent him down pretty quietly, don't even think many people know why. He wasn't playing badly. Seems unlikely to call him up for the playoffs, but hmmmm.

The sent him down pretty quietly, don't even think many people know why. He wasn't playing badly.

They sent him down because the decision was made that Ward was our goalie and they were going to ride him. At which point they sent Leighton down before he played 10 games so he didn't have to clear waivers again. No point in paying Grahame an NHL salary in the minors when they could get Leighton to do it for less.

Don't expect to see Leighton here anytime this season. He is the key to any potential hopes the River Rats have in the playoffs. If the Hurricanes really didn't care about the success of their AHL affiliate, they wouldn't have sent Leighton back there in the middle of the season.

As for Grahame, I think he gets some ice time once the division has been clinched. Once the division is sealed up, I would just sit Ward until the playoffs start. No matter if it means Grahame starts once or three straight games.

Rest Cam for the playoffs once we clinch a playoff spot/division IF we do. Grahame isn't being paid to warm the pine.... OR IS HE? Dun dun dunnnnnn.

Seriously though, Cam can sit two games out, I don't think he would lose his flair if he rests two games. At least give ONE to Johnny.

Ward is getting 2 days of rest today and tomorrow...that is enough rest for the young kid to be able to play Tuesday Night

Hurricanes Win Tuesday...play Grahame the next game and let Ward play the final Home game for "Fan Appreciation Night"

Hurricanes Lose Tuesday...Ward plays final 2 games

Simple