The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukProspect

Post Game Analysis 3/29-Lightning

IMHO, the player who let the Canes down the most was Cam letting in an easily stoppable goal. Staal has stepped up his game and tried to carry the team on his back, perhaps too much so in this game.

Disagree. When your goalie allows 2 or less goals, you should get the win.

Our offense let the team down, not Cam. When LaRose is your only guy to score on Ramo, you have issues.

Yeah, but if you're given the privilege to sit out a period, then you should come the next game and blow it out of the water. They didn't do that, and I really think Samsonov needs a new line.

I agree with several about Samsonov needing a new line. I've noticed over the last several games that his mojo has been lacking. Maybe he's battling a nagging injury, maybe it's chemistry, or maybe it's just Sergei coming back down to earth.

Also, feel bad for Cam when he let in that softie - if not for that fluky goal, we most likely would have been able to make it to OT and gotten at least a point.

I waited to read the posts on last nights game until tonight. After reading this @#$%, I wondered if I saw a different game. The puck I saw didn't "slide by" Sammy's stick, it bounced over it. It happens to Ovenchicken occasionally as well. Shot after shot that on any given night would have found the net, was stopped by a red hot goalie. I could go on.

Nothing new. We lose a close, hard fought game and the peanut gallery goes nuts.

That would be part of my analysis too. This pre game warm up only results in bad thing happening it seems.

So let me get this straight, they were eating Rib eye steak the night before and playing soccer? What were they thinking? They should be eating lean foods and doing the routine. Maybe they were getting ahead of themselves after that big win in ATL.

I waited to read the posts on last nights game until tonight. After reading this @#$%, I wondered if I saw a different game. The puck I saw didn't "slide by" Sammy's stick, it bounced over it. It happens to Ovenchicken occasionally as well. Shot after shot that on any given night would have found the net, was stopped by a red hot goalie. I could go on.

Nothing new. We lose a close, hard fought game and the peanut gallery goes nuts.

I have to agree with you here. We had a large group watching at my house and all we could say afterward was that we came up against a hot goalie. The chances were there, but Ramo with a .974% was the key.

Also, after the Thrashers game, everyone was agreeing with Trip/John when they commented on how Samsonav was using his starting and stopping skills to create space and time for himself. How is it that one game later, a lot of people think he needs a line change, or has lost his hands? :unsure:

I'll pretty much second this. It was a hard-fough game and Ramo was on fire.

My only real concern is that PP looked completely different than it has recently, especially in those three big chances late in the third. Corvo would gain the red line and slam the puck deep, too fast for our forwards to get possession back. And when we had the 6-on-4 situation (PP and Cam pulled) we never set up properly, keep just two guys up high (no umbrella). Three guys get you clear shooting lanes. With three guys down low creating traffic in front, Ramo's job gets a lot harder.

Call me a broken record, but one fact is inescapable: Our PP is exponentially better when we gain their blue line with the puck.

That's how it looked to me. Admittedly, I think Samsonov has made a tremendous difference in the revival of the Hurricanes; but I like to think I have maintained my objectivity. Trying to control a bouncing puck across the face of the goal is no small task. On the other hand, time after time Samsonov disrupts the other team's offense by stealing pucks and checking. In some ways, I think the Hurricanes were trying too hard and players were trying to make great plays rather than relaxing and using their system and skills to win.

That's how it looked to me. Admittedly, I think Samsonov has made a tremendous difference in the revival of the Hurricanes; but I like to think I have maintained my objectivity. Trying to control a bouncing puck across the face of the goal is no small task. On the other hand, time after time Samsonov disrupts the other team's offense by stealing pucks and checking. In some ways, I think the Hurricanes were trying too hard and players were trying to make great plays rather than relaxing and using their system and skills to win.

i agree that it was in part a case of individuals trying too hard.

i saw multiple times players attempting to bulldoze across the blueline and losing possession of the puck.

i agree with you on samsonov he does so many good things on the ice that go un-noticed(in part because he does them so quickly) . he won a battle with about 10 seconds, walked it beautifully as drawing 3 defenders, slid it through to the openside of the net. had hamilton kept skating or another player posted on the left, outcome may have been different.

agreed that ramo did frustrate the canes.

and i do believe that multiple players are playing through injury.(more significant than normal bumps and bruises)