The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

Williams and Cullen

its a no go for cullen, whitney. as for williams, if he plays, he sees limited time. no more than 10-12 minutes of ice time, some 4th line action and power plays for him.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Whitney, Williams look ready to go

Three of the Hurricanes' walking wounded were on the ice for practice Monday, and it looks like two of them may be back in the lineup Tuesday night.

Ray Whitney and Justin Williams were both out early for power-play practice, while Matt Cullen practiced in a blue no-contract jersey, which is the next step in his recovery from his latest bout with post-concussion symptoms. Whitney and Williams were both included in the five-on-three unit, so it certainly appears they're going to play tomorrow.

Whitney, Jeff Hamilton and Williams skated as a line Monday.

One wrinkle in the plan: With the MCI Center unavailable Tuesday morning, the Hurricanes won't have a morning skate before the game, which means Monday is the only opportunity Whitney and Williams (who was cleared for full contact Monday) will have to practice with their teammates.

More updates after practice.

Posted at 11:19 am by Luke DeCock in General Lord Stanley's Blog

Leave a comment | Permalink

Monday, March 31, 2008

Whitney, Williams look ready to go

Three of the Hurricanes' walking wounded were on the ice for practice Monday, and it looks like two of them may be back in the lineup Tuesday night.

Ray Whitney and Justin Williams were both out early for power-play practice, while Matt Cullen practiced in a blue no-contract jersey, which is the next step in his recovery from his latest bout with post-concussion symptoms. Whitney and Williams were both included in the five-on-three unit, so it certainly appears they're going to play tomorrow.

Whitney, Jeff Hamilton and Williams skated as a line Monday.

One wrinkle in the plan: With the MCI Center unavailable Tuesday morning, the Hurricanes won't have a morning skate before the game, which means Monday is the only opportunity Whitney and Williams (who was cleared for full contact Monday) will have to practice with their teammates.

More updates after practice.

Posted at 11:19 am by Luke DeCock in General Lord Stanley's Blog

Great news, I don't think they'll play a lot of minutes, but even if we could use them on the PP, we need people who can finish and both those guys can do that.

Leave a comment | Permalink

Sounds like Lavi is going for it all tomorrow night. Sounds like a Game 7 to me, too bad they won't be home tomorrow, it'll be nice to help them out to a victory.

Whitney I feel is a scratch since he left pratice first. I don't think Cullen will play against the Caps but maybe the Bolts. Williams is back!

I think Jenson and Conboy will be sent back down today since Hedican is back.

Just my thoughts!

Whitney I feel is a scratch since he left pratice first. I don't think Cullen will play against the Caps but maybe the Bolts. Williams is back!

Just my thoughts!

Now im happy to see Willie back we need him..

I see the logic in sending down Jensen but sending down Conboy?! I dont know, hes brought grit to this team and we need that in the PO..

Just my thoughts!

What did I miss, where does say that Hedican will be back? I thought he wasnt even going on the trip.

OK, skip that question:

UPDATE, 12:52 p.m.: Other than Cullen, who hasn't been cleared for contact, "everybody's probable," Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. That includes Bret Hedican, who was back at practice as well after missing most of Friday's win and all of Saturday's loss with a "torso" injury.

Whitney was the first player off the ice, so there's no guarantee he's in the lineup tomorrow. But Williams is fit and ready to go, 14 weeks after reconstructive knee surgery.

"We're coming to crunch time," Williams said. "We'll see what the coaches say tomorrow."

With no ice available, Cullen won't make the trip, but Laviolette said he thinks taking the morning off may be a blessing in disguise at this time of the year.

Look for one or two players to be returned to Albany later today.

Just my thoughts!

What did I miss, where does say that Hedican will be back? I thought he wasnt even going on the trip.

OK, skip that question:

UPDATE, 12:52 p.m.: Other than Cullen, who hasn't been cleared for contact, "everybody's probable," Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette said. That includes Bret Hedican, who was back at practice as well after missing most of Friday's win and all of Saturday's loss with a "torso" injury.

Whitney was the first player off the ice, so there's no guarantee he's in the lineup tomorrow. But Williams is fit and ready to go, 14 weeks after reconstructive knee surgery.

"We're coming to crunch time," Williams said. "We'll see what the coaches say tomorrow."

With no ice available, Cullen won't make the trip, but Laviolette said he thinks taking the morning off may be a blessing in disguise at this time of the year.

There was an update to Luke's blog. Only person not making the trip is Cullen:

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS:

1. There is ice time available at the Capitals' practice facility in Virginia but Laviolette said he didn't want to go through the hassle and would schedule a "team walk" instead. In general, he's not a big fan of morning skates and is using the arena conflict as an excuse to keep the Canes off the ice.

2. Laviolette said he plans to keep the current top three lines together, including Bayda-Aucoin-Walker, for chemistry's sake.

Gotta love that attitude, and I'd expect no less from JWillie.

But we gotta make sure we stick with what has gotten us here, our defense has generally been outstanding (save the last 3-4 games). If we can get the Caps back under 30 shots on goal I like our chances.

AND PLEASE keep a guy back for Overchicken who is making a living camping out at the blueline for the outlet pass. :blink:

AND PLEASE keep a guy back for Overchicken who is making a living camping out at the blueline for the outlet pass. :blink:

Seriously. Gleason and Hedican need to decide who is going to shadow Ovechkin all game. And whoever it is better not let Ovie out of their sight. We need a guy on him all night and when I say shadow I mean seriously shadow him.

about 30 minutes ago I was thinking, "what we really need right now is for williams to come back for tuesdays game (it's our biggest game of the season)." And then I came on the forums only to see that article and the very real possibility jwillie could be back in the lineup... I hope he comes out of the gate explosive and shows his allstar ability. In our last game we lacked a very strong offensive scoring ability... one that we all know he brings.

So it looks like our lines will be:

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Larose-Letowski-Ruutu

Bayda-Aucoin-Walker

Whitney-Hamilton-Williams

wouldn't be surprised to see Larose and Whitney flip-flopped. It will be nice to actually have some real scores on the 2nd PP unit. Williams is going to have a lot of rust, but his innate scoring ability should serve us well on the PP...

That looks like the best scoring lineup we've assembled in quite some time.

So it looks like our lines will be:

Samsonov-Staal-Cole

Larose-Letowski-Ruutu

Bayda-Aucoin-Walker

Whitney-Hamilton-Williams

wouldn't be surprised to see Larose and Whitney flip-flopped. It will be nice to actually have some real scores on the 2nd PP unit. Williams is going to have a lot of rust, but his innate scoring ability should serve us well on the PP...

That looks like the best scoring lineup we've assembled in quite some time.

One of the best 4th lines I've seen in awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I know they will likely be rusty, but its still a nice looking 4th line.

One of the best 4th lines I've seen in awhile.

Don't get me wrong, I know they will likely be rusty, but its still a nice looking 4th line.

Welcome back JWilly and the Wizard! Man...I wish it was a home game. I would love to see them back on the ice in person. At least I'll be able to catch the game on FSN.

Let's hope and pray that Culley will be ready soon too!

If we can keep everyone healthy during the playoffs (knock on wood), we should be a force to reckon with just like the 05-06 season (all of our lines can score)!

Go Canes!

Welcome back JWilly and the Wizard! Man...I wish it was a home game. I would love to see them back on the ice in person. At least I'll be able to catch the game on FSN.

Let's hope and pray that Culley will be ready soon too!

If we can keep everyone healthy during the playoffs (knock on wood), we should be a force to reckon with just like the 05-06 season (all of our lines can score)!

Go Canes!

16h3rl.gif

I dont know if Williams and Whitney will be all that rusty. Sure Williams hasnt played for awhile but he's an All-Star. I can definetely see him getting some points tommorow. And Whitney's only missed 2 weeks, he hasnt gone into total rehab not playing hockey in forever. These guys have been playing hockey for their whole lives. I'm sure it wont take them long to get back into the swing of things

I dont know if Williams and Whitney will be all that rusty. Sure Williams hasnt played for awhile but he's an All-Star. I can definetely see him getting some points tommorow. And Whitney's only missed 2 weeks, he hasnt gone into total rehab not playing hockey in forever. These guys have been playing hockey for their whole lives. I'm sure it wont take them long to get back into the swing of things

I am more confident with the two of them back, even if we lose tomorrow, we will win out the rest of the season.

More then Williams and Whitney being back, I am wondering if Lav will dress 7 D-men. If we only dress 6 and Hedican can't go the entire way it'll get ugly real fast with Williams and Whitney potentially not up to more then 10 minutes or so each.

What's not been talked about enough is how will Hedican be? He has been fantastic last few weeks, but after his injury the other night who knows? and Do you dress 7 Dmen or go with the usual 6?

^ I understand the concern, but if Hedican is ready to go, you don't play "what if". You go with 6 D-men and play your best forward lineup...

What do you think? Should Williams and Cullen come back for Tuesday's game against Washington? Who would you scratch for them? Do you even think they'd be ready to come back by then? Lalala, just thought it would be interesting to see peoples thoughts.

I'd be sooooo happy to see Williams back, it would give the same emotional lift Cole gave in game 6+7 of the SCF in '06. Cullen would be good, because Sammy looks like he needs a different line. I can see a Sammy/Cullen/Someone line, a Williams/Staal/Cole line, a LaRose/Letowski/Hamilton line, and a Walker/Aucoin/Bayda line. So Scratch a Dman and Brookbank.

Whitney is coming back as well. Setting the lines bear in mind that Ruutu was brought in partly because he is a center as well as a winger. I know everyone thinks that Letowski was centering the line with Ruutu on the wing, but the game stats have him at center and Letowski at wing. Also Ruutu was introduced as the center at the RBC several times recently. Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruutu scratched and Letowski play because he is our best (statistically) FO guy behing Cullen.

Where to play the "new" guys, Whitney and Williams? My concern, and one that I'm sure Lavi is mindful of is the fatigue factor as relates to injury. Tired athletes are more subject to injury or is that an old wives tale?

Who to scratch? Hedican is coming back tomorrow as well, so the temptation may be to suit up only six Dmen. I don't like that idea. I can hardly wait for the puck to drop to see what Lavi does. [i should have read the post above before commenting on Hedican.]

Where will Brookbank go? This is Washington's last chance to get close to winning the division, and if it turns out to be an Atlanta type game (Blowout) you know they will be out for blood. Atlanta had no reason to do it, but Washington pretty much does. You need to fit the "sheriff" somewhere in on the team for protection.

For this game, LaRose may be a scratch, or even Hamilton. Most people would question that move...but I have a feeling that an NHL coach would know just a little bit more about this than an average fan, whose favorite player is LaRose, Hamilton, or whoever they scratch. I just think that at this point in the season, an enforcer is needed to protect - a body guard sort of speak.

Does anyone else agree?

Anyway you look at it, its a must win, Go 'Canes!

Seriously. Gleason and Hedican need to decide who is going to shadow Ovechkin all game. And whoever it is better not let Ovie out of their sight. We need a guy on him all night and when I say shadow I mean seriously shadow him.

My thoughts exactly. (I have to laugh, tho. My son was told to mark an opposing striker in a big soccer game and his coach said, "Garrick, if so-and-so goes to get a drink of water, you do with him. Yeah, that's right. The striker went to the sideline for a drink and Garrick went with him.) But that is the level of commitment it takes to take an Ovenchicken out of the game. One lapse is all it takes.

^

I agree.