The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

Williams and Cullen

Whitney is coming back as well. Setting the lines bear in mind that Ruutu was brought in partly because he is a center as well as a winger. I know everyone thinks that Letowski was centering the line with Ruutu on the wing, but the game stats have him at center and Letowski at wing. Also Ruutu was introduced as the center at the RBC several times recently. Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruutu scratched and Letowski play because he is our best (statistically) FO guy behing Cullen.

Where to play the "new" guys, Whitney and Williams? My concern, and one that I'm sure Lavi is mindful of is the fatigue factor as relates to injury. Tired athletes are more subject to injury or is that an old wives tale?

Who to scratch? Hedican is coming back tomorrow as well, so the temptation may be to suit up only six Dmen. I don't like that idea. I can hardly wait for the puck to drop to see what Lavi does. [i should have read the post above before commenting on Hedican.]

What do I know? But I'd be very surprised if Ruutu were scratched. I can't imagine taking him out of the most important game of the season thus far; but again, I'm no expert.

Williams is back? Wow, an ACL injury is one of the worst to get. Props to him for getting back.

Lavi's done a good job finding team chemistry and rejuvenating Samsanov's career and I think should he should be considered for the Jack Adams. The challenge for him now will be figuring out how to adjust with these two possibly coming back.

Williams is back? Wow, an ACL injury is one of the worst to get. Props to him for getting back.

Lavi's done a good job finding team chemistry and rejuvenating Samsanov's career and I think should he should be considered for the Jack Adams. The challenge for him now will be figuring out how to adjust with these two possibly coming back.

Its a good problem to have...but a tricky one.

Any chance we borrow Vanek if we're having trouble scoring?

Its a good problem to have...but a tricky one.

Any chance we borrow Vanek if we're having trouble scoring?

You can have Vanek, Roy, Pominville, The French Connection if you do me a favor and beat Philly or Ottawa.

Theres a chance the Canes might be my bandagon playoff team in the East the way things are shaping out :ph34r:

You can have Vanek, Roy, Pominville, The French Connection if you do me a favor and beat Philly or Ottawa.

Theres a chance the Canes might be my bandagon playoff team in the East the way things are shaping out :ph34r:

Your secret is safe with us ;)

Your secret is safe with us ;)

modern technology has made ACL and MCL injuries less career ending.

Where will Brookbank go? This is Washington's last chance to get close to winning the division, and if it turns out to be an Atlanta type game (Blowout) you know they will be out for blood. Atlanta had no reason to do it, but Washington pretty much does. You need to fit the "sheriff" somewhere in on the team for protection.

For this game, LaRose may be a scratch, or even Hamilton. Most people would question that move...but I have a feeling that an NHL coach would know just a little bit more about this than an average fan, whose favorite player is LaRose, Hamilton, or whoever they scratch. I just think that at this point in the season, an enforcer is needed to protect - a body guard sort of speak.

Does anyone else agree?

Anyway you look at it, its a must win, Go 'Canes!

Agreed on needing Brookbank. I don't see Rosey being scratched. I also don't see Ruutu being scratched (whoever mentioned that). Scratch Hamilton, play Brooks. I won't start the bash-Hammy train but between Hammy and Brooks, we have to have Brooks on the ice for THIS game.

Where will Brookbank go? This is Washington's last chance to get close to winning the division, and if it turns out to be an Atlanta type game (Blowout) you know they will be out for blood. Atlanta had no reason to do it, but Washington pretty much does. You need to fit the "sheriff" somewhere in on the team for protection.

For this game, LaRose may be a scratch, or even Hamilton. Most people would question that move...but I have a feeling that an NHL coach would know just a little bit more about this than an average fan, whose favorite player is LaRose, Hamilton, or whoever they scratch. I just think that at this point in the season, an enforcer is needed to protect - a body guard sort of speak.

Does anyone else agree?

Anyway you look at it, its a must win, Go 'Canes!

Agree 100%. Scratching Brookbank (and Conboy) vs. Washington is about the same as asking for a beating. Perhaps LaRose can ankle bite Brashear just enough to irritate him, and then he'll end up hurting one of our quality players.

This is a tough game, and requires guys who can stand toe to toe with a physical hockey team. Hamilton was a disaster last game, and his inability to hold the blue line on power plays cost us dearly. LaRose did score a goal on a nice pass from Trevor last game, but he is Avery without strength or skill or we don't need him against the Capitals.

I have been center ice at every Carolina game this season, and I'm telling you that the pivotal turning point in this season was when we brought a few "Goons' of our own to the party. Without them, it could be a long nite tonite vs. Washington.

I have Canes playoff tixs in hand, and would love to use them, so I'll hope for the best tonite. However...Even if we lose to Washington tonite, I'll say it again.....Tampa Bay isn't beating us in the RBC, and Florida isn't beating us anywhere.

Go Canes.

I think you completely ignore what LaRose does for the PK. Let alone what he's done for the organization. There is such a thing as player loyalty. If a players gets injured and returns to game shape, his spot should be his to lose.

Forslund answers all your questions:

The Core...

The top nine forwards will not be altered. Laviolette does not want to change what has brought the Canes to this point. So Staal, Cole and Samsonov are intact and the same can be said for the Letowski and Aucoin lines. Williams and Whitney will play at full strength with Jeff Hamilton as their center. You can also look for Eric Staal to be double-shifted with 13 and 11.

As far as the power play, Whitney will see time on the first unit, Williams on the second. How much will they play ? That is unknown. Much of this will be determined on how the game goes and the comfort levels of both players.

Toughness?

Wade Brookbank and Tim Conboy will not be part of this one tonight. The logical question is, have the Canes altered their "hard to play against" mindset. The coach is not worried about this. He does expect a physical game. As far as enforcer Don Brashear, running around, he expects the team's will stick to hockey. He rather go for the offensive options and the potential to out man Washington in a "skill "game. The Canes will be intense, but the conditions will assimilate playoff hockey where four lines of depth become more of a premium. His logic is sound.

On Defense...

Bret Hedican (torso) will be a game time decision. All seven defensemen will take the pre game warm-up and then Bret will have to make a big decision. He can't have any margin of error with his condition because this is game where the Canes can't go down to five defensemen. Six will dress, so it's either Hedican at full strength of Dennis Seidenberg.

He also mentioned that Jensen will be sent back to Albany later today.

Cullen did not make the trip to DC so he is out. I trust Lavi to determine whether Williams and Whitney should play or not. Can't wait to see the lineup.

I understand why they would scratch brookbank and conboy although i think it has the possibly to turn on them. It comes down to both teams mindset and how the refs will call it. If the refs let them play i feel carolina has the potential to get bullied which we have seen happen this year and is a sure fire way to beat them and take them off their game. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I understand why they would scratch brookbank and conboy although i think it has the possibly to turn on them. It comes down to both teams mindset and how the refs will call it. If the refs let them play i feel carolina has the potential to get bullied which we have seen happen this year and is a sure fire way to beat them and take them off their game. I guess we will have to wait and see.

We are playing Washington! We always get bad calls!!! The Caps seem to get away with stuff, especially in their own arena, and the refs are always looking the other way.

Don't hold your breath ont his one...just pray!