The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
indaboardz

Williams and Whitney probable for Tuesday.....

good point, i keep forgetting that at this time of year someone releases the trolls.

**note to self, don't respond to trolls (for fear of Marcus)"!!

Also may want to make a note to not call others trolls ;)

good point, i keep forgetting that at this time of year someone releases the trolls.

**note to self, don't respond to trolls (for fear of Marcus)"!!

not even trolls? where's the fun in that??

Ignore him. He's the same guy who basically stated that we couldn't rely on Ward to win us games.

Yes, and that was the case for nearly 3 months, as Cam faded to the bottom 10% of NHL goalies in every meaningful statistic. And those of us who are close to the Canes realize all the steps that Carolina took to assist Ward in getting back on track. How many of the Canes, the broadcasters, etc. have talked about Cam "struggling" through that period. Barasso has done a fine job working Cam through and beyond many issues he was facing during that drought. Now the Cam that helped us win the Stanley Cup appears to be back, and I plan on watching him win a few playoffs games for us.

I also talked about our lack of physical play, and obviously Rutherford knew about that also...bringing up the likes of Brookbank, Conboy and bringing in Ruutu for Ladd. That gave the team a swagger that was non-existent for months. Sitting at center ice game in and game out, the lack of hitting by the Canes was pathetic and very noticeable. We had no one to protect our better players. Then when Brookbank and Conboy started taking on other teams, we got our swagger back and other teams began to respect us again.

And if you think Lavi wasn't in trouble back then, you should ask him. No way a coach survives becoming only the 3rd coach in NHL history to miss the playoffs the next year, and then follows it without another non-playoff season and survives. Its really simple....you can get rid of all the players, or you can get rid of the coach. It's not fair, it's simply the way it works in pro sports. Remember MO?...the coach that took us to the Stanley Cup finals?

And if you think Lavi wasn't in trouble back then, you should ask him. No way a coach survives becoming only the 3rd coach in NHL history to miss the playoffs the next year, and then follows it without another non-playoff season and survives. Its really simple....you can get rid of all the players, or you can get rid of the coach. It's not fair, it's simply the way it works in pro sports. Remember MO?...the coach that took us to the Stanley Cup finals?

This is where I call you out. During that time JR came out and said that he will NOT get rid of his coaching staff. He said he would blow the team up before firing the coach.

Next time I suggest you get your facts straight before making false accusations.

I have to agree....I'm hoping Willie is back, but playing with Brooks and Hammy. Whitney can come back tomorrow. Needing an enforcer/deterent is not as much of an issue with Tampa.

Yes, and that was the case for nearly 3 months, as Cam faded to the bottom 10% of NHL goalies in every meaningful statistic. And those of us who are close to the Canes realize all the steps that Carolina took to assist Ward in getting back on track. How many of the Canes, the broadcasters, etc. have talked about Cam "struggling" through that period. Barasso has done a fine job working Cam through and beyond many issues he was facing during that drought. Now the Cam that helped us win the Stanley Cup appears to be back, and I plan on watching him win a few playoffs games for us.

I also talked about our lack of physical play, and obviously Rutherford knew about that also...bringing up the likes of Brookbank, Conboy and bringing in Ruutu for Ladd. That gave the team a swagger that was non-existent for months. Sitting at center ice game in and game out, the lack of hitting by the Canes was pathetic and very noticeable. We had no one to protect our better players. Then when Brookbank and Conboy started taking on other teams, we got our swagger back and other teams began to respect us again.

You stated Cam would never be a top tier goaltender, not even comparable to Thomas and LeClaire. You wanna rethink that statement now?

As for the Lavi thing, colesylarosefan stated correctly. JR said he'd keep the coaching staff. Besides, I hardly think these past 2 seasons would be a shining example of what Lavi could do, considering the condition of the team. What other coach can work around losing 2 of the team's best defensive forwards for most of the season? And then have various other injuries to various other players and positions during that time, but still lead them to the top of their division.

The difference between Mo and Lavi is Mo went from the very top to the very bottom. Lavi went from the top, to 4 points from a playoff berth.

I wouldn't want to have to figure out who sits but I think it is a good problem for Lavi to have. The Caps will come out flying with all the energy that will be in the building. We need to come out with our work ethic and weather that first period and hopefully score first to take some of the life out of building. Go Canes!! Put the Caps away!!!!!

Just a note on the whole deal if Lavi's job was in jeopardy or not, I believe it was during the interview where he said that the only person safe was Staal. He also commented that he had no immediate plans on changing the coaching staff, but repeated that nobody was safe but Staal.

You can definitely read into that that if no other changes worked, that Lavi's job could be in play at the end of this season. I don't think anyone would argue that Lavi's job is in jeopardy now, but to say that it has always been safe without question isn't quite true, either.

I agree with SweepDaLeg. A major part our recent success has been our physical play. Sitting Conboy and Brookbank is not such a good idea. We need their physical intensity. Who knows when we might need that extra spark to get fired up and regain some momentum. I can understand bringing Whitney back but why Williams. Whitney has only been out 2.5 weeks while Williams has been out 14 weeks. This is a crucial game and I don't think its worth putting a rusty Williams on the ice.

I sure hope this doesn't mess with the chemisrty the team has right now!!!We need to keep a physical guy on the bench for insurance if nothing else.I just hope they are ready to be hit and hit alot!!Wouldn't mind sitting Jensen and either Conboy or Brooks,,not both. You know the Caps will be playing a very physical game and thats 1 of our weak spots.Yes other guys can step up but its always nice to sit a 4th liner(for fighting) instead of someone like Gleason or Walker whom are much more valueable to the team.Just my little ole opinion and i hope i am, wrong!!!I'm just hoping they both play very well and give us a little more offensive jolt!!!

LETS END THIS TONITE!!!!!!

I actually like Conboy's intensity over Brookbank Mountain's. I think he is a better fighter too and I think he has had more chances to score.

Gimme Timmy.

I def. would have at least one, if not both these guys on the roster tonight FOR SURE! Grit and speed is what works for us.

I sure hope this doesn't mess with the chemisrty the team has right now!!!We need to keep a physical guy on the bench for insurance if nothing else.I just hope they are ready to be hit and hit alot!!Wouldn't mind sitting Jensen and either Conboy or Brooks,,not both. You know the Caps will be playing a very physical game and thats 1 of our weak spots.Yes other guys can step up but its always nice to sit a 4th liner(for fighting) instead of someone like Gleason or Walker whom are much more valueable to the team.Just my little ole opinion and i hope i am, wrong!!!I'm just hoping they both play very well and give us a little more offensive jolt!!!

Jensen is beoing sent to Albany as we speak.

Jensen is beoing sent to Albany as we speak.

I don't see any way that Brookbank in scratched tonight as long as Brashear is on the roster. You just have to keep them honest. Brookbank may not be the heavyweight that Brashear is, but he is as close as we have. Lavi can't have the Caps taking liberties with our guys in a game of this magnitude.

My guess is that Jensen and Hamilton will be scratched and Brookbank and Conboy will be in. Conboy adds some grit too, and he can play forward or defense.

Well, you are wrong! Brookbank and Conboy are both scratches tonight. According to Forslunds Blog this morning, Lavi is going for skill over toughness. He is hoping that Brashear will be more of a thorn in the Caps side than ours!

http://wral.com/sports/blogpost/2661356/''>http://wral.com/sports/blogpost/2661356/' target="_blank">http://wral.com/sports/blogpost/2661356/ [/post]

Hope he's right!

GO CANES!

Skill over toughness didn't work in the past, I can't see how they think it will work tonight against a Washington team that is prepared to put it all on the line.

Skill over toughness didn't work in the past, I can't see how they think it will work tonight against a Washington team that is prepared to put it all on the line.

I think Lavi is going more for an emotional boost. Forslund was on NHL Live and he says the guys are psyched that Williams and Whitney are both back. Positive energy can be a good thing.

As for Brashear, let him start the fights and he'll find himself in the box all game.

Also keep in mind Bruce is not going to let things get out of hand. He wants and needs to win this hockey game. Both teams are going to be worrying about playing hockey not who is going to fight who.

As for Brashear, let him start the fights and he'll find himself in the box all game.

You cant really let Brashier push around our guys.. so atleast get into some scrums that doesnt affect us..

Well, you are wrong! Brookbank and Conboy are both scratches tonight. According to Forslunds Blog this morning, Lavi is going for skill over toughness. He is hoping that Brashear will be more of a thorn in the Caps side than ours!

http://wral.com/sports/blogpost/2661356/

Well, I guess I was wrong. I hope I have this figured wrong, because I have a bad feeling about this. We may be able to "out skill" the Caps, but we sure have a glaring weakness now. We don't have anybody to keep the Caps honest with Brookbank and Conboy in the pressbox. Our guys have been pretty good of late and Lavi is going away from that at a critical time.

I hope this time tomorrow, I am on my way to the RBC talking about how crazy I was thinking that we needed the Big Bobbers in the lineup.

You cant really let Brashier push around our guys.. so atleast get into some scrums that doesnt affect us..

I'm just now worried about our guys sticking up for themselves. Remember when Cole and Staal were both in the box for roughing. Grant it we don't need them in the box, but I'm not worried that they will let the Caps push them around either. I've seen games when Brookbank was out of the line up or even sitting on the bench when things had to be answered and not one guy has backed down.

I think everyone's overreacting. Brookbank and Conboy were there for fighting. That's all they did. They weren't overly physical (at least, not moreso than the rest of the team).

If the Caps are all about their skill as they say they are, then they won't play a dirty game. We still have some guys out there that won't take any @#$% from their bully (which is really all he is). I have no concerns that our guys will be on top of their game. Williams especially is READY to play. And to come back in his first game in weeks, this game is perfect for him. I see him ending the night with 2 points.

I think everyone's overreacting. Brookbank and Conboy were there for fighting. That's all they did. They weren't overly physical (at least, not moreso than the rest of the team).

Yeah, I think Lavi's going for the idea that we're going to give it everything we have. Throw everything at the net. Plus it comes with the emotional boost of having Whitney and Williams back in the lineup.

Brookbank and Conboy add the enforcement element, but that's more important in the long-term. As in, keeping our players healthy and protected in regular games by having guys that are more expendable do it. But they also don't bring much else to the lineup. It's not like the Canes don't have guys that can fight (Gleason, Walker), but they also can play well, too.

This is a game where there's so much more on the line. So fill up those roster spots with players who may be a factor. The boost they bring could very well be what pushes this team over the edge tonight.

These guys are also coming back in with a hunger that the Canes really need right now.