The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

The NHL is pulling out all the stops to get the Caps in

this is similar to the 'canes diving' conspiracy. It needs to be brought up and once it is, it need to be dropped. The Canes at a time, seemed to be a little too light on their skates and when people started to say they were diving, the players didnt seem to hit the ice as often or as easily. Ovechkin currently could pull a simon over someones head and get a 2 minute minor and now that there seems to be an unproar about it, he hopefully will see the penalty box a bit more. although I hope someone tattoos bauer across his lip.

Well I've got the following observations which will amaze and astonish everyone I am sure.

1) The NHL loves Sydney Crosby. As evidenced by NBC (Nothing But Crosby network) etc...

2) The NHL now loves AO (and he is a great player I agree)

3) The NHL would love to see AO and Sydney the Great in the ECF's.

Now that I've unleashed this totally new information which I am sure all will dispute I've got the following other observations:

1) Washington has played outstanding hockey since the All-Star break. Great defense last night by the Caps. They also made bold moves at the trade deadline to go for broke this year. Hats off to them for that.

2) No matter how poor the officiating the Hurricanes did not deserve to win last nights game.

3) The officating was horrible. It smacked of homerism and blatent star supertreatment. Given last years SC playoffs and Pronger, I am shocked this could occur (insert Sarcasim warning here).

4) We hold our destiny in our hands. We play two teams we are better than, and if we play the team defense that got us here since the All-Star break we should win. IF we play the team defense (or lack of by our forwards) that we played in Nov/Dec then its going to be a longggggg summer. Lets see the hitting of the '06 SCF's game 7 vs Edmonton. Not the sheepish team that played the '06 SCF's game 6 vs Edmonton. If we play with that intensity, it'll be our division. Just like it has been for the entire year other then 14 days.

Since this thread has devolved into nothing but troll bait, it's locked.

Those of you who are registering here just to make childish remarks, you will be dealt with accordingly.

EDIT: I unlocked it as some worthwhile comments are still being made. I'm just going to start banning obvious trolls on sight. :)

Yeah...the officiating was pathetic. Those guys were so bad they could easily be soccer refs.

Regardless of that though, the Canes have not come out with the playoff intensity they claim to have in the recent losses. The Caps and the Bolts come out hitting and we try to side step when we have an opportunity to finish. The puck goes across our goal mouth and our players go for it lackadasically if at all. The other teams are anticipating passes on offense while we seem surprised to see the puck. On our power plays last night it looked like we had 4 guys on the ice and they had 6. They were active and we were passive.

Things had better change tonight and Friday for sure. We can win whether or not the officals are competent or full of crud like they were last night, but we have to show some aggresive dominence if we want the title.

On a side...Brookbank was benched to make room for Williams and Whitney last night. We'd have been better off with Brookbank. Our guys shouldn't have to put up with that junk that OV was dishing out last night. He should have been made to pay dearly for those cheap shots.

Can it be possible that the caps just outplayed the canes. Look at the shots on net...when a team is playing outplayed and outhustled to the puck , then that team will take more stupid penalties, its that simple. To continue to blame the refs for being outplayed is just ridiculous. The canes needed to come out blazing , they did not. Also, to continue to say the NHL has this planned is crazy. There were plenty of times Gretzky, Messier, and other superstars did not make it to the big dance.....the team lost...move on to the next game.

Can it be possible that the caps just outplayed the canes. Look at the shots on net...when a team is playing outplayed and outhustled to the puck , then that team will take more stupid penalties, its that simple. To continue to blame the refs for being outplayed is just ridiculous. The canes needed to come out blazing , they did not. Also, to continue to say the NHL has this planned is crazy. There were plenty of times Gretzky, Messier, and other superstars did not make it to the big dance.....the team lost...move on to the next game.

I agree with this.

I mean we came out and played alright, and the second period I thought we did better and gave a lot of effort, but as the third period came and we got penalty after penalty we just seemed to give up

Although the refs were pretty pathetic last night, the canes just need to get over that and come out great tonight

Agreed forever, the Canes got outplayed and their lack of skating resulted in some stupid penalties. Were some calls bogus, sure, but they happen in every game. Considering the magnitude of the game, the Canes were surprisingly flat from the get. The good news is that the Canes still hold their own destiny with games over two clubs that are out of the playoff run at the RBC. All things considered, it really couldn't have been set-up much better for getting the job done and winning the division. The bad news is if they plan to play like they did last night, it won't matter who they play, cuz that won't get it done.

as awful as the officiating was last night, 2nd period, right as momentum was clearly swinging in carolina's favor, its just as frustrating to look at the remaining schedule. considering washington gets our sloppy seconds for the last two games, it seems unfeasible that washington could possibly lose. i know its cliche these days to say the nhl is against us, and i dont necessarily think that the league is purposely trying to hinder our chances at making the playoffs, and obviously hindsight is 20/20, but what kind of @#$% is this? we have to play our last 3 games over 4 days while washington gets our teams on the 2nd days of back-to-back? its ridiculous. forgot to mention, despite the fact AO is the best player in the league, and i maintain that, every hit he charges. and so when he charged hedi in the 3rd, after bret had discussed it pregame, and hedi got a roughing penalty...i left. woeful officiating.

also...just to throw insult to huge injury......the technician's [ncsu newspaper] daily crossword puzzle today, 1-across [most important clue, you know] was 'toboggans'. the answer? CAPS!!! misery...

The schedules out long before the situation were in was out,so why are people now crying about the schedule,people didnt look at the schedules 2 months ago when the Crapitals were in last place and say we have 3 in 4 nites and they get our sloppy 2nd's,I thought Canes fans were better than this,so lets stop whinning and just WIN our last 2 games....

I hate the idea of this thread. The Canes had plenty of chances to win games in the middle of season. They chose instead to just mail it in a handful of games. Let's not forget that. While it's pretty sad that the season comes down to the last 2 games, they players/coaches have no one to blame but themselves.

I say slap a shot directly at Watson early in the game to get the message across.

The next 2 games we're going to have to win every game while playing 9 vs 5 shorthanded

tonight was absolute robbery. These refs are a complete and utter joke and the league should be embarrassed, but you know nobody will discuss this because it'll end up getting AO in the playoffs so the league and media can stroke his ego like they've been pining to do all along

Yes. It is a grand conspiracy to keep the Canes out of the playoffs. Bettman is handing Benjamins to the refs on the side.

The fact is the Caps were the better team on the ice last night. Ward looked mediocre. Staal did not step up.

The refs do not play the game. The players themselves need to take responsibility.

The fact is the Canes will have to win the next two or go play golf next week. The Caps are confident and will be playing the same teams the Canes will have played the night before.

FORE!

The next 2 games we're going to have to win every game while playing 9 vs 5 shorthanded

tonight was absolute robbery. These refs are a complete and utter joke and the league should be embarrassed, but you know nobody will discuss this because it'll end up getting AO in the playoffs so the league and media can stroke his ego like they've been pining to do all along

Model Citizen,

I'm in full agreement...I just posted this earlier today:

QUOTE(canesWin @ Apr 2 2008, 11:30 AM)

url="http

There's no conspiracy, just an incompetent ref. Remember the Blown Goal Call in Stanley Cup Finals Game 7?

canesWin,

I respectfully disagree. I firmly beleave that Brad Watson threw the game and that he was instructed to do so from the NHL commissioner, Gary Bettman, or at least from one of Bettman's inforcers. Please look at the replays of the game. If Alex Ovechkin had been wielding a straightrazor Watson wouldn't have called a penalty on him. Ovechkin is one of the best players the NHL has ever seen and that is exactly why the refs did not call any penalties on him. Bettman and the NHL powers want Washington in the playoffs, period, so they can showcase Ovechkin. It's called economics folks. With a headliner like Ovechkin in the playoffs the viewer numbers will be up, ratings will be up, revenues will be up, the NHL makes more money, and so-on-so-on-so-forth.

Washington has a great team...a tremendously improved team since last Fall. They deserve recognition because of that. However, the NHL's efforts to enhance Washington's position in the standings in order to prop up their own ratings in TV Land casts a shadow on the entire League.

Keep an eye on Brad Watson's calls tonight...there will be controversial calls made, again, against Carolina. Bettman and others in the NHL would rather see the coming of the AntiChrist than see Washington not make the playoffs and if the Canes happen to get in their way, well, tough luck fellow fans.

We, the Canes, have been, and will continue to be, the red-headed-stepchild of the NHL. I saw it in Bettman's eyes and felt it when I shook his pasty little hand when I met him at a reception for season ticket holders at the arena some years ago.

As always, these are JMHO. Later,

Puckd'addy

The refs do not play the game. The players themselves need to take responsibility.

The fact is the Canes will have to win the next two or go play golf next week. The Caps are confident and will be playing the same teams the Canes will have played the night before.

Silly assertion #1: an officiating conspiracy. Sorry it just isn't so.

Silly assertion #2: that the Caps are a lock to win both their games. Sure their streak and tired opponents favor them but in my experience it's the overconfident or new fan who makes such bold predictions while ignoring the anything can happen saying. Anything can happen.

Silly assertion #1: an officiating conspiracy. Sorry it just isn't so.

Silly assertion #2: that the Caps are a lock to win both their games. Sure their streak and tired opponents favor them but in my experience it's the overconfident or new fan who makes such bold predictions while ignoring the anything can happen saying. Anything can happen.

IMHO: When the Canes are out there doing their darndest to avoid penalties and the refs are not calling or calling incorrectly, the questions come to mind about bias. the Canes were outplayed last night... it won't happen tonight or Friday. IMO, poor officiating should not be allowed for more than one game per official.

As far as conspiracy goes, it would sure be VERY unprofessional for this to be the case but stranger things have happened in PRO Sports.... and we all know this to be alleged.... in some cases, true. I see the potential profits made for the NHL having AO and SC in the playoffs. I just hope the bias stops sooner than later.

What we Caniacs need to do is refresh our attitudes before tonights game against TB, and go in there excited to cheer our Canes on to a victory!

GO CANES!

My opinion is at this point in the season, it shouldn't be the refereeing that dictates the pace or outcome of a game. It's not uncommon for all sports referees to "let 'em play" come season end and into the playoffs. I think what everyone is essentially agreeing on is that ( a ) The Canes and the Caps have been the 2 hottest teams in the Conference over the past month+. Execpt for SJ, you could argue hottest in the NHL. ( b ) Eric Staal had (prior to last night) been the top point man in the NHL in the past 30 days. Ovechkin was right there with him.

This game "should have been" a GREAT, SuperStar v. SuperStar, fast-skating, good forechecking, good goaltending game, ON IT'S OWN.

Instead, we had bad ice, too many game stoppages for truly questionable calls, which leads to distracted fans, players, coaches, EVERYONE; distracted from what the game COULD HAVE been, but wasn't.

So refs, LET 'EM PLAY. Let the player skills lead the way, not the whistles or the egos. Things will work out fine, EVEN if the Canes lose, they'll know they lost to a better team, not to something else.

IMHO: When the Canes are out there doing their darndest to avoid penalties and the refs are not calling or calling incorrectly, the questions come to mind about bias. the Canes were outplayed last night... it won't happen tonight or Friday. IMO, poor officiating should not be allowed for more than one game per official.

As far as conspiracy goes, it would sure be VERY unprofessional for this to be the case but stranger things have happened in PRO Sports.... and we all know this to be alleged.... in some cases, true. I see the potential profits made for the NHL having AO and SC in the playoffs. I just hope the bias stops sooner than later.

What we Caniacs need to do is refresh our attitudes before tonights game against TB, and go in there excited to cheer our Canes on to a victory!

GO CANES!

My opinion is at this point in the season, it shouldn't be the refereeing that dictates the pace or outcome of a game. It's not uncommon for all sports referees to "let 'em play" come season end and into the playoffs. I think what everyone is essentially agreeing on is that ( a ) The Canes and the Caps have been the 2 hottest teams in the Conference over the past month+. Execpt for SJ, you could argue hottest in the NHL. ( b ) Eric Staal had (prior to last night) been the top point man in the NHL in the past 30 days. Ovechkin was right there with him.

This game "should have been" a GREAT, SuperStar v. SuperStar, fast-skating, good forechecking, good goaltending game, ON IT'S OWN.

Instead, we had bad ice, too many game stoppages for truly questionable calls, which leads to distracted fans, players, coaches, EVERYONE; distracted from what the game COULD HAVE been, but wasn't.

So refs, LET 'EM PLAY. Let the player skills lead the way, not the whistles or the egos. Things will work out fine, EVEN if the Canes lose, they'll know they lost to a better team, not to something else.

Thank you! Possibly the most accurate, eloquent post in this entire thread.

I only saw the game from around the 10:00 mark of the second period on, but from what I could tell, the officiating was clearly biased towards the Capitals. I'm not saying that all the calls were questionable, but I saw the Capitals get away with the same hooking penalties that the Canes got called for.

It also wasn't the actual calls that got us, in my opinion, it's just that so many were called right when the play was starting to tip in the Hurricanes' direction. Whenever the Hurricanes started to get some offense going, it was overtaken by a change in momentum that favored Washington.

And to any and all Capitals fans who feel the need to post here, please don't. We're angry enough and it's not the time to attempt to change our feelings on the officiating.

Yeah, I wonder if the league gives the refs bonuses for throwing games one way. I can see them in the office having a super secret meeting. The commisioner gives them $20,000 checks and says "make this last to game 7" or "Get the Caps in". Seriously, the year we won the cup, almost everything went to game 7, more money for everybody.

My opinion is at this point in the season, it shouldn't be the refereeing that dictates the pace or outcome of a game. It's not uncommon for all sports referees to "let 'em play" come season end and into the playoffs. ... So refs, LET 'EM PLAY. Let the player skills lead the way, not the whistles or the egos. Things will work out fine, EVEN if the Canes lose, they'll know they lost to a better team, not to something else.

I guess you weren't paying attention for the first 15 minutes, because that's exactly what the refs did, and the Caps took advantage by finishing EVERY check, CLEANLY. Gleason did the same for us, but when his teammates came out in the second the game was already over, and they'd squandered their chance to "play." From that point on the refs saw our futile attempts to get physical as cheap -- and many of them were.

We made our own bed last night and we layed in it, and this conspiracy stuff is a load of @#$%.