The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
model-citizen-1

The NHL is pulling out all the stops to get the Caps in

There is a poll on the front page of NHL.com, and the question is Who will win the Southeast Division? 56.97% Capitals, 43.03% Hurricanes.

That pisses me off. We've played through so much more, and they've had it so much easier this season. And what happens? Everyone looks down on the 'Canes and no one expects us to make it.

There is a poll on the front page of NHL.com, and the question is Who will win the Southeast Division? 56.97% Capitals, 43.03% Hurricanes.

That pisses me off. We've played through so much more, and they've had it so much easier this season. And what happens? Everyone looks down on the 'Canes and no one expects us to make it.

Think of it as an outsider looking in. The Caps have been red hot, while the Canes have been floundering. The Caps just dominated the Canes last night. Bias aside, I'd vote for the Caps based on that as well.

And then there's the Ovechkin factor. Plenty of fans in other fanbases (and some in this fanbase), want him in the playoffs.

Yep, I'm yet another Caps fan. . . Nope, I'm not here to troll or insult ya'll, though you may not like what I say, I'm trying to be objective with this post, at least as much as I can for being biased.

I went to the game last night and I'll give you guys the dibs on what you're arguing for: there were ALOT of questionable calls made last night by the referees. BUT, those bad calls certainly weren't one sided, and there were quite a few no-calls that went in Carolina's favor. Immediately coming to mind was the failure of the refs to call the holding the stick penalty on Cole in the 3rd period when he yanked Kozlov down on top of him for the holding minor.

Ovechkin, not getting hit? Looked to me like he was getting bounced and pummeled all over the place last night, his puck handling was less than stellar. The camera focuses on the puck location, not on Ovechkin for the entire game. Unless you guys had the misfortune of that horrendous "OVECHKAM" thing you most definitely missed some of the floorings he took throughout the game.

The ice at Verizon Center being bad? Yeah, we know, we hear about it all the time, the good news is you guys don't have to play 41 home games on it, the Caps do. It's not a very well kept secret that the ice in VC is an after thought when it comes to basketball games, concerts and whatever else they do on a non-hockey night. Ole Teddy is making motions at trying to buy out the WSE business entity within the next year, and hopefully they get better control over the rink conditions for doing so.

As for this conspiracy theory about NHL wanting Ovechkin in the playoffs, IF that was even close to true, the Caps wouldn't have been knocked out first place by Carolina back in February. If Bettman really wanted an Ovechkin/Crosby showdown in the playoffs, they'd already have both teams all but cemented in place in their standing, not having one team scrambling in the last 2 games of the season to get playoff berth.

As it is, YOU are still guaranteed a playoff spot if things stay the same as they are today, the CAPS are not and still MUST win their two games remaining and Boston, Philly, Ottawa or Carolina have to drop at a minimum; ONE game. If both teams win out or lose out their last two games, YOU still go to the playoffs. So I guess I just don't see where last night was such a disaster unless it really does concern you that the Canes are in fact mortal and very much COULD collapse for their last two games against two Florida squads that are out now to play spoiler.

I find it interesting that as we watched Atlanta get trounced by Carolina in their last 2 encounters that nobody over here complains like we do about Atlanta rolling over for you guys and then showing up for the game against the Caps as if their lives depended on it. Of course, when FL or TB "roll over" for us, and not for you it's how the NHL is against you. Funny thing about those two way streets.

Fact is, Capitals wanted this game, and played it better than Carolina did, and if Carolina had wanted it more they'd have found a way to win despite the marginal difference in bad calls by the refs, great teams often do.

I hear you, up to a point. Yes, the Canes have fought through a loss of manhours the likes of which few have ever seen. That said, I wouldn't call changing coaches in midseason, making key aquisitions and climbing from worst to (tied for) first in your division easy. There were many times this year that we remained at or near the top in spite of ourselves, when our poor play was matched or exceeded by divisional rivals.

I think there are at least a couple teams who have had more man games lost than we have this year - FLA comes to mind, I know there is at least one other. We've been hit hard, but we ain't the worst. NOW... games lost by top 2 line players or top 2 D pairings? I don't think anyone can touch us there.

I hear you, up to a point. Yes, the Canes have fought through a loss of manhours the likes of which few have ever seen. That said, I wouldn't call changing coaches in midseason, making key aquisitions and climbing from worst to (tied for) first in your division easy. There were many times this year that we remained at or near the top in spite of ourselves, when our poor play was matched or exceeded by divisional rivals.

Fact is, Capitals wanted this game, and played it better than Carolina did, and if Carolina had wanted it more they'd have found a way to win despite the marginal difference in bad calls by the refs, great teams often do.

Thanks for the post I enjoyed reading it and agree wholeheartidly with all but the part about the NHL not wanting AO and Crosby. The NHL does want both because they think that will bring in new hockey fans. It's obvious. However, I dont think they are "rigging" games. The Caps have had a great run for the last month +.

Yeah, I wonder if the league gives the refs bonuses for throwing games one way. I can see them in the office having a super secret meeting. The commisioner gives them $20,000 checks and says "make this last to game 7" or "Get the Caps in". Seriously, the year we won the cup, almost everything went to game 7, more money for everybody.

There's no way that is going on. Too big a risk that a ref will write a tell all book and bring the league down. I do wonder though about assigning Brad Watson to these two games. This guy is clearly highly suseptable to suggestion. The diving calls he made in Florida were simply too blantantly related to the newspaper article about diving. Given the small number of diving calls made in general, and watching that game, where both calls were clearly blown, it is nearly impossible that Watson was not influenced by something outside the game. If you accept that, then it was either the media attention, or some directive from the league. Either way it he loses any credibility. So this is the guy the NHL assigns to our game vs. Washington and tonight? There were 9 games yesterday, but this is the guy we get? And then again tonight? Makes me itch.

Here is what gets me angry. We probably would have still lost that game last night regardless of the officials. However, the score would have been closer than 4-1, IMO.

You have one of the BIGGEST games being played in the league at that time. You have two of the best teams since the all Star break playing each other. You have two teams fighting tooth and nail for the division. These games should be decided by the players on the ice NOT the officials.

Sorry but the officials screwed this game. They screwed the fans (both fans) out of an exciting nail biting game b/c they decided to take the game in their own hands.

I think if the officials called a fair game and the Caps won, the Caniacs would accept that lose and congratulate the Caps for a hard fought won. But when the officials take the game in their hands, you can't possibly say the Caps won that fair and square. Atleast I can't.

Frankly I'm sick of the officials deciding the outcome of a game and its no wonder they are having a hard time getting fans interested in the game.

Is there bad officiating in the NHL? Yes, sometimes there is.

Is there a conspiracy to get the Caps in the playoffs? No, there is not.

Thanks for the post I enjoyed reading it and agree wholeheartidly with all but the part about the NHL not wanting AO and Crosby. The NHL does want both because they think that will bring in new hockey fans. It's obvious. However, I dont think they are "rigging" games. The Caps have had a great run for the last month +.

I don't doubt that they WANT AO and Crybaby in the playoffs against each other, they'd be stupid not to. I just don't think they're rigging the regular season to make it happen, there is just way too much risk involved as another poster alluded to. That NBA ref is solid proof of that, I'm surprised the NBA was so easily able to sweep it under the carpet like they did, even though that ref was doing it for his own personal gain, not for the benefit of the NBA shareholders.

I was talking to my ticket rep with the Caps today about playoff tix (got mine locked in, hopefully I get to make use of them) and he told me that people paying at the gate for tix will be running in fear if the Pens end up facing us in the playoffs, tickets go up on the range of 40 to 90 bucks depending on your seat. STH's have solid prices locked in thank GOD.

He needs a Scott Stevens shoulder to the temple... he wouldn't be such a dirty player if he got his once in a while

Then, why didn't someone on the Canes' roster do it? They only had eight games in which to do so. Staal gets hit, someone has to come to his rescue. Can he hit anybody?

There is never any moaning about the refs when the Canes win. Atlanta game last week may be the only exception and even during that game the Canes had five PP goals.

I was at the game last night (paid a scalper 65 ea for ok upper level seats, section 414 ... ouch and I got them about 5 mins. before the start of the game, most were 75 and up earlier.). Officials etc aside, the place was really incredible. The energy was like the RBC on a good night. The Verizon got really, really loud. All of the papers were calling it the most important home game in 5 years. I'm telling ya, those people were JACKED! My son had a Canes jersey on and I had a T, we were treated pretty good by most. I really believe that because of the fans, the only way the Canes were going to win last night would have been to completely dominate the game which they did not do. Yeah, the refs sucked but we got whacked. We have two games against inferior teams, personally I think that this is very exciting and the next two games should be amazing.

We are heading for the game in a few minutes, I want to get there early when the Refs take the ice, this should be fun.

Go Canes

Then, why didn't someone on the Canes' roster do it? They only had eight games in which to do so. Staal gets hit, someone has to come to his rescue. Can he hit anybody?

There is never any moaning about the refs when the Canes win. Atlanta game last week may be the only exception and even during that game the Canes had five PP goals.

No, you never notice when we moan about the refs in a Canes win. Everyone's well aware of when the game is being handed to us by the referee. But, like the Capital fans, we take it with open arms We're not going to complain if the refs want to go down that route. However, we will complain if we're not getting a fair treatment, just like every other fanbase does.

It's the nature of fandom. You're not going to change it.

Here is what gets me angry. We probably would have still lost that game last night regardless of the officials. However, the score would have been closer than 4-1, IMO.

You have one of the BIGGEST games being played in the league at that time. You have two of the best teams since the all Star break playing each other. You have two teams fighting tooth and nail for the division. These games should be decided by the players on the ice NOT the officials.

Sorry but the officials screwed this game. They screwed the fans (both fans) out of an exciting nail biting game b/c they decided to take the game in their own hands.

I think if the officials called a fair game and the Caps won, the Caniacs would accept that lose and congratulate the Caps for a hard fought won. But when the officials take the game in their hands, you can't possibly say the Caps won that fair and square. Atleast I can't.

Frankly I'm sick of the officials deciding the outcome of a game and its no wonder they are having a hard time getting fans interested in the game.

OK - and now Thank YOU. Did we lose because of the refs? No. But if they had called a consistent, even game would it have been as lopsided? Again, sorry to those of you who hate this sort of thing: Absolutely not. Say what you want to - and yes, I know there were calls on both sides that were questionable, and non-calls on both sides too - but that bogus goalie interference call on the 5-on-3 when we were down by only one goal was an absolute dagger in our heart.

Say all you want to about how the team should have sucked it up and won anyway. Maybe they should have. But the fact of the matter is they shouldn't have had to. That call should NOT have been made. Would we have scored? Who knows? But IF we had, the game would have been a lot different than it turned out to be (if nothing else, it would have been 4-2...).

And excuse him all you want to: Alex Ovechkin leaves his feet on hits, and like it or not, that is 1) a penalty, and 2) going to get someone hurt - possibly himself. He is a great player, and fun to watch. He needs to stop doing that, and the only way he will is if he starts getting penalized for doing it.

And finally - if I were the Capitals, I would be angry as well over the bad calls, because there are now so many people talking about that instead of congratulating them for a great, hard fought victory. Sad.

Why do u have to pay to talk on your boards????

Pay? News to me...I've been on the Caps boards for the past five years and never had to pay (never heard of anyone else having to either - and like the other NHL boards we have members from all over).

First of all, the Hurricanes are known throughout the conference for diving. It's such an issue that you have had to address it on your own message boards. It's on the front page.. first topic, in fact, as I type this.

The Caps have had their fair share of poor, poor officiating this year. We had our only D-man back (actually, it was a one-on-one) skated into by McCreary, leading directly to a goal by the other team. We spent the entire last 6 minutes vs. Boston shorthanded, with not one but TWO 5-on-threes embedded. The game before that, the Caps weren't given a PP until 16 seconds were left. Buffalo had 5 PPs that night. Those last two were just 3 weeks ago. Was the NHL not on Ovechkin's side back then?

Last night was actually a pretty well-officiated game. What do you expect to happen when Huet has made a GLOVE save, has the puck in his GLOVE, and you skate by with a poke? You think that nobody is going to touch you? The refs allow the team to protect the goalie. Period. It's not like Ovechkin threw punches, either. He gave a shove in the chest. Whoopity-do. The same thing had happened earlier in the same period when Laich took two whacks at the PUCK, which was LOOSE in front of Ward. But did the Caps freak out when they weren't given a PP after Laich was roughed up? No.

And you can't skate into, and fall onto the goalie without expecting for there to be an interference call, especially when you were clearly not pushed.

Stop yer whining and give props. The Capitals have been playing really well since December. It was the Caps who knocked Ottawa off of their perch when they were still 1st in the conference... The Caps who beat Carolina in their own building, then came back home and beat them soundly. The Caps have won 9 in a row.

I honestly hope that both teams are in the playoffs, but if the Caps do not make the playoffs, it would be a shame. They're definitely one of the best teams in the league.

Anyways, go Tampa! LOL

Why do the Cap fans feel the need to join our boards to defend their team's actions? Just reading the Caps board, there's plenty of things said that are just wrong, but I didn't join their boards to correct them. Why? Because it's their board, and it's their right to vent however they feel.

Grant us that same right, if you don't mind.

I missed the game last night. I was out in San Fransisco to catch the Sox/A's game, but from what I've read I'm glad I missed it. The officiating sounded awful, and the Canes sounded flat.

I really want to see the Canes beat up on the Bolts and Panthers to win the division. We need Conboy or Brookbank in the lineup to provide that muscle when things get chippy. Having guys like LaRose, Letowski, Hamilton, Aucoin and Bayda is fine, but I would love to see one or two of them sit for Brookbank and/or Conboy to get back in the lineup. We need that physical edge back. Also I want to see Samsonov off of the Cole/Staal line. He just doesn't mesh well with these guys.

You know, I was going to respond to that last post by notfadeaway, but then I realized that he or she's not worth the ATP I'd have to use to do so.

Lock?

Sounds like someone has had HS biology :lol:

First of all, the Hurricanes are known throughout the conference for diving. It's such an issue that you have had to address it on your own message boards. It's on the front page.. first topic, in fact, as I type this.

The Caps have had their fair share of poor, poor officiating this year. We had our only D-man back (actually, it was a one-on-one) skated into by McCreary, leading directly to a goal by the other team. We spent the entire last 6 minutes vs. Boston shorthanded, with not one but TWO 5-on-threes embedded. The game before that, the Caps weren't given a PP until 16 seconds were left. Buffalo had 5 PPs that night. Those last two were just 3 weeks ago. Was the NHL not on Ovechkin's side back then?

Last night was actually a pretty well-officiated game. What do you expect to happen when Huet has made a GLOVE save, has the puck in his GLOVE, and you skate by with a poke? You think that nobody is going to touch you? The refs allow the team to protect the goalie. Period. It's not like Ovechkin threw punches, either. He gave a shove in the chest. Whoopity-do. The same thing had happened earlier in the same period when Laich took two whacks at the PUCK, which was LOOSE in front of Ward. But did the Caps freak out when they weren't given a PP after Laich was roughed up? No.

And you can't skate into, and fall onto the goalie without expecting for there to be an interference call, especially when you were clearly not pushed.

Stop yer whining and give props. The Capitals have been playing really well since December. It was the Caps who knocked Ottawa off of their perch when they were still 1st in the conference... The Caps who beat Carolina in their own building, then came back home and beat them soundly. The Caps have won 9 in a row.

I honestly hope that both teams are in the playoffs, but if the Caps do not make the playoffs, it would be a shame. They're definitely one of the best teams in the league.

Anyways, go Tampa! LOL

Sounds like a load of horse sharte to me.....and I will admit that Ovechkin has had a great year and has being playing awesome.........everyone knows the Crapitals is a one man team....without him you would be.....hum...below Tampa in rank!

Even the Caps announcers are openly commenting on the "questionable" calls.

AGREE!!! For the folks who cannot watch our TV duo of Forslund and Tracy, it is extremely painful to live in an area where only Caps games are broadcast. Ughh!! Only pays off when we play them. Last night was hard to stomach. For the games vs. the Caps that I get to see on my local channel I keep the TV on mute and listen to Chuck Kaiton. Last night couldn't deal with the 45 second delay btwn tv and internet radio. But frustrating as heck to hear the Caps poor quality play-by-play guy express his opinion of the officials' calls last night. It's like pouring salt in the wounds.

The officiating was, indeed atrocious during ther Canes Caps game. Unfortunately, poor officiating has become almost the norm since the All-Star break in a number of games I have seen on Center Ice. The fact that the league seems not tocare show its utter disregard for and disrespect the players since poor officiating increases the likelihood of injury, but also for the the paying customers, the fans. Maybe we fans need to form a NHLFA ( National Hockey League Fans' Association) and employ the power of the purse to get the league's attention.

We will win tonight! Crappy officiating or not, we will win. Just like in Game 7!!!! I think the buzz in the arena will be incredible....

CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!

as my good friend eric cartman says...

"hehehehehe...we eeeeee won!!!, See you guys, told you we would win..."

SWEEET!!!!!!