The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
kingofminneapolis

Outdoor Game

I think Feburary would be a good choice. The Super Bowl comes in early February. They can do it the Sunday after the Super Bowl.

but here's another suggestion.

How about doing it in November or December when the Bills are on the road?

No need to worry about the game screwing up the field for the Bills... they don't have playoff games anymore. :lol:

No need to worry about the game screwing up the field for the Bills... they don't have playoff games anymore. :lol:

:lol:

Surely it wouldn't be the same weekend of the SuperBowl, that's why I said mid-Feb. Weekend after the SB would be best.

this is a great idea, but the date is a terrible choice....jan 1.....everyone will be watching bowl games (gotta love the bcs!!!!)....i saw this mentioned in an earlier post, and someone on espn was talking about it (rome, pti?)

i heard a few years back of having a kind of "hockey day" where they do multiple outdoor games...different time zones so staggered starts....like one in the east (giants stadium, yankkee stadium?) one in the midwest (michigan stadium, LAMBEAU FIELD!!!!)...and one out west (denver? seatttle?).....i think the nhl maybe even looked at the idea.....this would be a great idea....i wish they would do that.....there's a hokcey day in canada where they do a bunch of games (not outdoor)....but they start at like 1:00 and play like, 4 straight games, involving all the candien teams.....gotta get some of these ideas to fruition....the marketing is reall bad for the league, and its a shame.

The outdoor game with Edmonton vs Montreal was a huge success in Canada and hardly received if any coverage here.....go figure. How cool would it have been to see a hockey game with 60,000 at hand. A hockey "day" would be very hard to pull off due to the weather may not cooperate with every venue. I really don't think Boston, Chicago or any other U.S city could host an outdoor game without rigging up piping to keep the ice frozen as a back up because you never know on the weather....I was golfing last January with an outdoor temp of 71 degrees. Outdoor hockey is for Canada, perhaps versus can pull away from bullriding and tractor pulls and show the game, even if it is possibly 2 Canadian teams...it's still hockey isn't it?

The outdoor game with Edmonton vs Montreal was a huge success in Canada and hardly received if any coverage here.....go figure. How cool would it have been to see a hockey game with 60,000 at hand. A hockey "day" would be very hard to pull off due to the weather may not cooperate with every venue. I really don't think Boston, Chicago or any other U.S city could host an outdoor game without rigging up piping to keep the ice frozen as a back up because you never know on the weather....I was golfing last January with an outdoor temp of 71 degrees. Outdoor hockey is for Canada, perhaps versus can pull away from bullriding and tractor pulls and show the game, even if it is possibly 2 Canadian teams...it's still hockey isn't it?

Just out of curiosity... you say any US city couldn't host it but any Canadaian city could. Buffalo is a mere 1/4 mile away from Canada and had a total of 30,000 people at HSBC arena to watch game 5 of the ECF vs Ottawa. That's 12,000 people just standing outside watching the game or otherwise a huge crowd for a Nashville Predators game. Weather is virtually the same if not worse than Toronto. Edmonton is the only city theat probaly has us beat tempature/snow wise. Why can't a US city host a hockey game, particulary Buffalo.

I was at the 2nd Buffalo vs Pittsburgh game and there was a large contingent of Pittsburgh fans, probaly 800-1,000. With the rise of the Penguins and Sabres this game would easily sell 55,000 tickets if not sold out. Buffalo fans always make the trek to Pittsburgh and vice versa.

I do agree woth you 110% that it needs to be on national tv. This game must be not only on CBC but NBC/Vs.

I do agree woth you 110% that it needs to be on national tv. This game must be not only on CBC but NBC/Vs.

LMFAO!! Oh now, come on, quince!! You KNOW this won't happen!!!

Oh wait... it's Crosby... never mind. I retract my statement & have had it stricken from the records. ;)

Ok, I stand corrected...one U.S city... Buffalo. It would be great to see 55,000 at a Buffalo vs Pittsburgh game but I just don't see that happening

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The Ralph holds alittle over 75,000 people. Sabres season ticket holders will probably have first dibs on tickets, thats about 15,000, plus mini-pack holders; lets say 1,000-1,500. Plus the league will get some, and suit owners at HSBC. And you can count on thousands of other Sabres fans going. If we can get 12,000 to stand outside the arena, we can get 12,000+ in the Ralph. Also, Pittsburgh is only 3 hours away, and Pens fans travel well, so I'm sure 2,000-4,000+ will come. And Canadians, I'm sure a TON of Canadians who aren't fans of either the Sabres or the Pens will come, just to see Crosby play an outdoor game. Like, last season for example, I went to the Sabres/Pens pre-season game at HSBC, and this group of French-Canadians were sitting next to me. And the one guy turned to me and said "Sidney Crosby?" and I was like, "he's not playing tonight".... lol anyways, I'm positive if there is a game at the Ralph, there will be 50,000+ there.

Ok, I stand corrected...one U.S city... Buffalo. It would be great to see 55,000 at a Buffalo vs Pittsburgh game but I just don't see that happening

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. The Ralph holds alittle over 75,000 people. Sabres season ticket holders will probably have first dibs on tickets, thats about 15,000, plus mini-pack holders; lets say 1,000-1,500. Plus the league will get some, and suit owners at HSBC. And you can count on thousands of other Sabres fans going. If we can get 12,000 to stand outside the arena, we can get 12,000+ in the Ralph. Also, Pittsburgh is only 3 hours away, and Pens fans travel well, so I'm sure 2,000-4,000+ will come. And Canadians, I'm sure a TON of Canadians who aren't fans of either the Sabres or the Pens will come, just to see Crosby play an outdoor game. Like, last season for example, I went to the Sabres/Pens pre-season game at HSBC, and this group of French-Canadians were sitting next to me. And the one guy turned to me and said "Sidney Crosby?" and I was like, "he's not playing tonight".... lol anyways, I'm positive if there is a game at the Ralph, there will be 50,000+ there.

Thanks for that info Melissa. If it could happen that would be great and televised would be even better. If it takes Crosby to make it be televised then whatever, it would only help the game.

You could play the game in Boston, too...Gilette Stadium in February is as cold as anything. Minnesota could host the game, maybe Detroit, and perhaps even Colorado in the coldest part of winter. Of course, any Canadian city could as well. Obviously, this sort of thing wouldn't work in Phoenix, without special piping, etc.

I heard on espn the other day that the game would be in Buffalo against the Penguins,,On New Years day!! "THE ICE BOWL" And it would have to compete with college football bowl games.Espn says its a bad idea because everyone would be watching football...but really,, what does ESPN know!!!

My obvious choice would be a Hockey game!!!no matter whom is playing!!!

You could play the game in Boston, too...Gilette Stadium in February is as cold as anything. Minnesota could host the game, maybe Detroit, and perhaps even Colorado in the coldest part of winter. Of course, any Canadian city could as well. Obviously, this sort of thing wouldn't work in Phoenix, without special piping, etc.

I don't think so Gip. What if they planned the game on Jan 7th, in Boston (just lets say) prepared the stadium, sold the tickets and possibly sold tv rights and then have happened what happened last jan 7th....71 degrees and I was golfing. It has to a COLD city. New England just don't cut it anymore

I heard on espn the other day that the game would be in Buffalo against the Penguins,,On New Years day!! "THE ICE BOWL" And it would have to compete with college football bowl games.Espn says its a bad idea because everyone would be watching football...but really,, what does ESPN know!!!

DJ, I know you and I would be watching it but I don't think New years day is a great idea but at this point what could it hurt. At least if the ratings suck we could say it was new years. If they show it any other sunday and the ratings suck then what do we have. So, now that I talked myself into it....yup....new years is a great choice.

Sorry but what markets other then Buffalo, Pittsburgh and all Canadien markets would Hockey have higher ratings then College Football?

Sorry but what markets other then Buffalo, Pittsburgh and all Canadien markets would Hockey have higher ratings then College Football?

The one in my living room?

The point is if you want high ratings for this game then January 1st might not be such a good idea. If you don't care about the ratings and want to see a good hockey game then this date will be no problem.

The point is if you want high ratings for this game then January 1st might not be such a good idea. If you don't care about the ratings and want to see a good hockey game then this date will be no problem.

The heritage classic was held in november last time. But, if you want the game to be played in the US, it wouldn't be feasible to hold this game at any time besides early january, regardless of ratings. I don't think anyone actually believes the NHL can beat football in ratings at any time of the year, but there still will be a lot of people watching the game. 750,000 people tried to buy tickets for the heritage classic. 56,000 got them. It was also the largest live audience for an NHL game. The Ice Bowl would still have pretty much ALL of Canada watching, and a lot of American fans. Regardless of the time of the year, only so many Americans are going to watch a hockey game (the all star game has terrible ratings). Given all the publicity, and the DVDs and merchandise they sell for these outdoor games, January 1st is as good as its gonna get for an outdoor game in the US without sacrificing playing quality.