The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
blueize74

Open Rooting for the Caps Amongst the Media

the NHL NEEDS Ovechkin in the playoffs.

I just hope they are in as the 8 seed.

Agreed. Besides, who is Eric Staal?

Watching Vs tonight on the 1st period break, they mentioned the stats of AO in the last (sorry I can't remember) # of games.

Did not mention Staal's run.

One of them (Engblm?) did mention Lavs as Adams Trophy worthy.

I am used to this, so why compain.

My patience is running thin w/a local radio sports station on the AM dial: They have forgotten the Canes exist. UNC, FF, all #1 seeds ad nauseum. It is repeated so much I can recite it ;)

If Canes can't get local mention on the #1 sports station in their city, why would the Canes go national?

Does anyone know if the game with be broadcasted online anywhere, since I will not be able to get it on TV since I'm from Winnipeg, MB????

WILLIAMS + WHITNEY = WIN ;)

Video feed, couldn't tell you. This might be an obvious answer, but you can listen to the radio broadcast live online. Go here: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Radio''>http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Radio' target="_blank">http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=Radio[/post]

My patience is running thin w/a local radio sports station on the AM dial: They have forgotten the Canes exist. UNC, FF, all #1 seeds ad nauseum. It is repeated so much I can recite it ;)

If Canes can't get local mention on the #1 sports station in their city, why would the Canes go national?

Better switch to 99.9, no more Morgan Patrick....nuff said.

Better switch to 99.9, no more Morgan Patrick....nuff said.

Agreed. Besides, who is Eric Staal?

Watching Vs tonight on the 1st period break, they mentioned the stats of AO in the last (sorry I can't remember) # of games.

Did not mention Staal's run.

One of them (Engblm?) did mention Lavs as Adams Trophy worthy.

I am used to this, so why compain.

AO is in a bigger market than Eric Staal.

AO is more marketable than Eric Staal.

AO is more flamboyant than Eric Staal.

AO appeals more to the TO-lovin NFL fan than Eric Staal does.

Staal does his job well, but does it quietly, and does not go out of his way to be in the news. In fact, you could argue he tries to stay away from it. AO is developing into one of the better characters of the league. Its no mystery why he is being hyped up more than he probably should be, and at the expense of others. He's the Tyler Hansbrough of the NHL.

Staal does his job well, but does it quietly, and does not go out of his way to be in the news. In fact, you could argue he tries to stay away from it. AO is developing into one of the better characters of the league. Its no mystery why he is being hyped up more than he probably should be, and at the expense of others. He's the Tyler Hansbrough of the NHL.

I don't disagree it is just frustrating when your accomplishments don't speak for themselves.

Stanley Cup

08 All Star MVP

Honorable mention at least is all we really want, no?

I don't disagree it is just frustrating when your accomplishments don't speak for themselves.

Stanley Cup

08 All Star MVP

Honorable mention at least is all we really want, no?

The media can talk it up all they want, as long as keep winning.

And to the people who are complaining about the local news burying the Canes in lieu of college basketball... what do you expect? I mean heck, even when the NFL and college football are in full swing and the NHL is about to gear up and baseball is heading into their playoffs, what do you always find on the front page of the N&O? UNC/Duke/NC State basketball. Basketball gets more attention in its offseason than most sports do during their actual season. Do you really expect it to not be dominating the news now?

As far as college sports in this area (and this is arguably the biggest college mecca on the east coast) this is all they have. College football is abysmal, hockey is just a distraction to most from the basketball season, the Panthers and Bobcats have done nothing to impress recently... What do you expect? This is all they have, and as soon as its over, they'll be talking about how each team will be next year.

True. Just a mention from the Vs guys for a comparison of the game eg Ward vs Huet. It just makes sense for a game this important for both teams to compare/contrast the main players.

But then again, I live in a bubble to expect such an analysis from so called experts.

Guess that is to be expected in Carolina

The media can talk it up all they want, as long as keep winning.

And to the people who are complaining about the local news burying the Canes in lieu of college basketball... what do you expect? I mean heck, even when the NFL and college football are in full swing and the NHL is about to gear up and baseball is heading into their playoffs, what do you always find on the front page of the N&O? UNC/Duke/NC State basketball. Basketball gets more attention in its offseason than most sports do during their actual season. Do you really expect it to not be dominating the news now?

As far as college sports in this area (and this is arguably the biggest college mecca on the east coast) this is all they have. College football is abysmal, hockey is just a distraction to most from the basketball season, the Panthers and Bobcats have done nothing to impress recently... What do you expect? This is all they have, and as soon as its over, they'll be talking about how each team will be next year.

I know. As you say: What do I expect? Exactly what we are given. But . . .

Just 5-10 minutes?

Please.

Not asking for an hour show a day. That is not realistic.

THANK you. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to see that.

I like how any media outlet refers to the Washington team as "Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals." It's a one man show, with his yellow skate laces and all.

We have put on a great run for the playoffs despite our numerous injuries to key players. As much as it pains me to say it but if the Caps beat us Tuesday they deserve to go to the playoffs in the 3rd seed. (believe me I don't want to lose that seed) I want us to get in so bad and I will be watching the game on pins and needles. I hope we can pull it out. Leaving the 2 points on the table Sat. really hurt us and put our backs even more against the wall. Its gut check time and we will get the chance to prove whether we have what it takes to make the playoffs. We are getting more healthy all the time-just get in the playoffs and who knows what can happen...

Go Canes beat the Craps!!!!!! Lets make their fans choke on their jealousy and sour grapes about so called diving!!

I, too, think it is a matter of character. In tomorrow's game, the CAPS have an excellent team; and the Hurricanes have shown they also are an excellent team. The result of tomorrow's game will show which of the two teams has the most backbone and character to win a "must win" game. AO is a fantastic player; but it's a team game. It's a classic situation of "to be the best you have to beat the best." Tomorrow will tell a lot about both teams.

I see your points, but the Staal family itself has been elevated to the status of the new Sutter family of hockey by the media (which is a huge feat if you ask me)...

I just think it's that at this particular time and moment, a Pitt/Was series is something media outlets are salivating over because of the possible advertisement revenue it would generate. Besides the last time Carolina flew under the radar they won the cup. Sometimes being the medias golden boy only exposes your team more.

I was gonna reply to this statement...

...then I saw who posted it.

This is all you need to know about how the world views the game tomorrow... And in case you were thinking the Canes would get any calls in our favor in the game, read this from NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=358642

And down the stretch they come!

One week left before it's time to get really serious, but, until then, we might as well enjoy the race to the finish line to determine which team will earn the right to play for the Stanley Cup in 2008.

One team sprinting to the end is the Washington Capitals, who likely need to win their final three games to even have a shot at gaining a postseason berth.

At the dizzying pace Washington coach Bruce Boudreau has his charges playing since taking the reins, you would think that shouldn't be too tall an order. Not only has Boudreau guided the Capitals to 16 come-from-behind victories since taking over for Glen Hanlon on Nov. 22, but the team is 34-17-7 under his tutelage. Washington's 3-0 victory over the Florida Panthers on Saturday was its 40th win of the season, the most since the franchise's last playoff appearance in 2002-03 when it also finished with 39 wins.

"We are not in a playoff position yet, but we want to get there and we believe we are going to be there, but the Stanley Cup is our prize; not making the playoffs," Boudreau said. "Even though people outside of our dressing room would firmly believe that if we made the playoffs, it would be a great accomplishment, our goal is to win the Stanley Cup. If you keep winning, eventually you're going to gain ground, and if you look now in the last two weeks, it's all divisional play so as long as you do your job and win, you will gain on somebody."

Washington, which is 8-2 in its last 10 games, concludes the season with a three-game homestand beginning tomorrow night against Southeast Division-leader Carolina. The Hurricanes, in fact, are just two points ahead of the Capitals for the regular-season division lead. The contest heads NHL.com's final edition of Six Pack for the 2007-08 regular season. Just think -- this time next week we'll be debating playoff matchups. It's crunch time, people!

-----

Carolina Hurricanes at Washington Capitals (Tuesday, 7 p.m. ET)

That is pretty funny how we do get one sentence at the end but how you get a conspiracy theory out it..........

That is pretty funny how we do get one sentence at the end but how you get a conspiracy theory out it..........

Didn't read the link, but game previews often times only talk about one of the two teams involved. Probably 80% of the time they only talk about one team. There seems to be a pattern and whichever team played most recently usually gets the nod in the game preview. I've read probably 80% of the game previews on ESPN this season and probably 40% of the time they mostly talk about Carolina, 40% they mostly talk about the other team, and 20% of the time they talk about both teams equally in length.

I really don't get where this is going. It's all in the eye of the beholder anyway.

BESIDES. WHO HONESTLY CARES WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS OR DOESN'T SAY? All I care about is winning the division starting Tuesday night.

AO doesn't speak much of the language.

AO isn't on every stupid VERSUS commercial.

AO is on a dead end team.

BAH! media shmedia... NBC was all "NJ this... NJ that" in 06' during our series with 'em, I say let e'm talk... makes it more fun when we show 'em all up!

Yeah, I pretty much lost all respect for what now passes as "the hockey media" when Bill Clement, whom I'd always thought to be the best prepared and best informed of the lot, said on XM back in December that the Canes' hopes were dimming, in part because of "what may well be a career-ending injury to Justin Williams." :blink::huh::rolleyes: No attribution, no mention of what he was basing it on. He just hung it out there and went on to the next thing.

Before any of these guys sit down behind a mike they should be required to listen to replays of at least 10 games called by The Great One: Gene Hart.