The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
blueize74

Open Rooting for the Caps Amongst the Media

the NHL NEEDS Ovechkin in the playoffs.

No, what the NHL needs is some believeability and consistency. Watching last night's game with the Caps showed the worst of the NHL not the best. It was a sad commentary on how politics overrides fairness in the NHL's corporate view of itself. I don't think the Caps will make the playoffs and I think it will be great if the "official tinkering" attempts to scoot them in fail.

The league doesn't NEED the Caps in the playoffs... The league NEEDS some integrity. They aren't gonna win over fans by picking sides & cheating teams out of games. Fans want to see the best team win, not the officials changing the outcome of the game. Fans don't want to see AO & Sid getting special treatment, they're good enough without the special treatment. Fans don't want to see the best players in the playoffs, they want to see the best teams. Why do you think the Red Wings have such a huge following nationally? Not because of Henrik Zetterberg, its because they're a great TEAM. I just want to see the best teams win with no help from the league. That's all I ask for is a league fair for everyone.

This is all silly there are no conspiracies and all teams and players are treated equal.

Btw since the playoffs start in a week, when does Prongers suspension end? :blush:

This is all silly there are no conspiracies and all teams and players are treated equal.

Btw since the playoffs start in a week, when does Prongers suspension end? :blush:

HAHA his first game back is game one. Thats just how it happened to work out though and AO doesn't leave his feet.

HAHA his first game back is game one. Thats just how it happened to work out though and AO doesn't leave his feet.

Yeah the NHL doesn't seem to like suspending their superstars in the playoffs.

As much as I hate Simon, he has a point.

the NHL NEEDS Ovechkin in the playoffs.

I just hope they are in as the 8 seed.

For league promotion/fan base it's a good thing since WAS has had a Cinderella season. Locally Northern VA/DC hasn't shown much interest in their team. Interesting that there was so much life in the venue last night, guess the locals can thank the NHL and the OVI media train. Fair weather Fans....

I think I got the humor... :lol:

To be honest, were I not a Hurricanes fan, I'd be pulling for Washington, too. I don't think Ovechkin is overrated at all. If I had my own team, he'd be the first guy I'd pick. Besides, I like how Carolina flies under the radar most of the time and gets no respect from the media. I think that's one reason players like playing here so much, as opposed to New York or Montreal, where the fans start booing if you have trouble setting up a power play and the media is all over everything you do.

To be honest, were I not a Hurricanes fan, I'd be pulling for Washington, too. I don't think Ovechkin is overrated at all. If I had my own team, he'd be the first guy I'd pick. Besides, I like how Carolina flies under the radar most of the time and gets no respect from the media. I think that's one reason players like playing here so much, as opposed to New York or Montreal, where the fans start booing if you have trouble setting up a power play and the media is all over everything you do.

The flip side to that is, when Montreal is winning there is no greater place in the world to play hockey. The players in Montreal are still talking about the impact the fans made in their 5-0 comeback against the Rangers earlier in the season.

The Montreal fans and media have their faults, but they have their perks as well too. UFAs tend to go where contenders are located, neither Montreal or New York have been contenders for the past decade or so.

I didn't see any disrespect of the Canes in what I read. I saw the media pulling for the Caps to get in the playoffs. Not a mention of the Canes not getting in the playoffs. Do we assume that only one SE team will make it. You know they might be right, when the Caps won the other night, that may have been what it took for them to get in over Boston or Philly or Ottawa. (I don't know, I can hardly keep up with the Canes tie-breaker situation.)

Should the craps, I mean the Caps, make the playoffs and go on to win the Cup, what a story that would be. They are playing like they are one of the best now. Having said all that, I want the Canes to win Friday night -- go in the front door -- and I would be thrilled to see the Caps blow-it to one of the losers in our division. :o

From an article in today's Washington Post:

"If I'm the National Hockey League, I'm praying to whatever hockey god there is, hoping the Capitals make it and the Carolina Hurricanes are as far away from the playoffs as possible," said Howard Bloom, publisher of the Ottawa-based SportsBusinessNews.com. "Even if the Capitals were to get knocked out in four games, it puts Ovechkin in the playoffs and begins to create some brand awareness for the player and the franchise. It's a league that's devoid of personalities, and here's a guy who has a personality, who scores 'SportsCenter' goals."

Click Here!!!

I think everyone's looking too much into this. The NHL needs to promote their stars. They're promoting Crosby, they're promoting OV, because those are the players that constantly impress. They make flashy plays, which is what make highlight films.

Besides, it's no different than what Staal recieved when we went deep in 05'-06'. Staal was seen as a young leader in a playoff team, just like Crosby and Ovechkin are now.

The flip side to that is, when Montreal is winning there is no greater place in the world to play hockey. The players in Montreal are still talking about the impact the fans made in their 5-0 comeback against the Rangers earlier in the season.

The Montreal fans and media have their faults, but they have their perks as well too. UFAs tend to go where contenders are located, neither Montreal or New York have been contenders for the past decade or so.

Are they are still talking about the Miracle in Molson? It's easy to get behind a team making a comeback. I assert those come backs would be easier without the fans and media on their backs the rest of the time.

The Canes are in it for the hockey. The media is in it for the money. The money is in advertising. Advertising rates are based on readership, viewers or listeners. The Ovenchickens, Crosbys etc, sell papers. The Staals , Coles, Wesleys, Cullens, win Cups. We could win with an Ovenchicken type player, but not an Ovenchicken type personality. Our players first move after a goal is to acknowledge the assist -- well maybe a fist pump or so -- not a personal celebration. Ovenchicken's first move is to make a grandstanding run and throw himself against the glass.

Are they are still talking about the Miracle in Molson? It's easy to get behind a team making a comeback. I assert those come backs would be easier without the fans and media on their backs the rest of the time.

I don't know what the Miracle in Molson has to do with this, unless that was a friendly jab (in which case touche). But I'm guessing you've never been to a game in Montreal

It's a chicken or the egg question. Did the fans get behind their team because they were making a comeback, or did the players start making a comeback because the fans got behind them? You're free to believe former, but the players in Montreal made it clear that they believe it was the latter.

Sure fans in the Bell have a tendency to boo when things don't go their way, but how is that worse then other cities where the fans simply stop showing up to the games and abandon their team?

I think everyone's looking too much into this. The NHL needs to promote their stars. They're promoting Crosby, they're promoting OV, because those are the players that constantly impress. They make flashy plays, which is what make highlight films.

Besides, it's no different than what Staal recieved when we went deep in 05'-06'. Staal was seen as a young leader in a playoff team, just like Crosby and Ovechkin are now.

I'd have to agree whole heartedly.

I mean when Carolina won it two years ago, Cherry spent a lot of time talking about the Canes during Coaches Corner. In fact he predicted the Canes to come back after being down 0-2 to the Canadiens.

I don't know what the Miracle in Molson has to do with this, unless that was a friendly jab (in which case touche). But I'm guessing you've never been to a game in Montreal

It's a chicken or the egg question. Did the fans get behind their team because they were making a comeback, or did the players start making a comeback because the fans got behind them? You're free to believe former, but the players in Montreal made it clear that they believe it was the latter.

Sure fans in the Bell have a tendency to boo when things don't go their way, but how is that worse then other cities where the fans simply stop showing up to the games and abandon their team?

Kinda go off topic did we not?

Media will be what they are. Heck one of the CAP lovers is Trip. He can't seem to go a game without talking about how good they are and Ovechkin this and that and he is "our" media.

The only issue I have is when "star" players do not get called for the same penalties as the others. I have lost some respect for Ovie due to his antics like leaving his feet on hits and wailing Staal to the boards. However, it is not his fault if the calls don't get made.

Kinda go off topic did we not?

Media will be what they are. Heck one of the CAP lovers is Trip. He can't seem to go a game without talking about how good they are and Ovechkin this and that and he is "our" media.

The only issue I have is when "star" players do not get called for the same penalties as the others. I have lost some respect for Ovie due to his antics like leaving his feet on hits and wailing Staal to the boards. However, it is not his fault if the calls don't get made.

Hey this board rarely talks about my Habs, so when it does I have to milk it for all it's worth :P

The Canes are in it for the hockey. The media is in it for the money. The money is in advertising. Advertising rates are based on readership, viewers or listeners. The Ovenchickens, Crosbys etc, sell papers. The Staals , Coles, Wesleys, Cullens, win Cups. We could win with an Ovenchicken type player, but not an Ovenchicken type personality. Our players first move after a goal is to acknowledge the assist -- well maybe a fist pump or so -- not a personal celebration. Ovenchicken's first move is to make a grandstanding run and throw himself against the glass.

Ovechkin is a young, exuberant kid who also celebrates his teammates' goals too. To bash him as selfish is just not accurate.

Speaking of the playoff series that brought the Miracle at Molson, there was a reaction that drew lots of criticism from a young guy who pumped his fist and jumped into the glass in celebration of his goal. That was a callow Erik Cole, by the way. Staal has done it to so to call out an opponent on it seems unjust.

Ovechkin and Crosby is like Bird and Magic during the struggling days of the NBA and that's just the way it is and will always be. Ratings are fought over gaining the interest of the casual fans. The die-hards will tune in regardless but star power sells.

Eh, you can't put too much stock into what these media types think. You can kinda see where they're coming from on this from a marketing standpoint. The Caps making the playoffs would boost revenue for the league and that in turn would filter down and help every team in the league (including our boys). So in short, let 'em root for the Ovechkins. It'll just help everyone in the long run.

"If I'm the National Hockey League, I'm praying to whatever hockey god there is, hoping the Capitals make it and the Carolina Hurricanes are as far away from the playoffs as possible," said Howard Bloom, publisher of the Ottawa-based SportsBusinessNews.com. "Even if the Capitals were to get knocked out in four games, it puts Ovechkin in the playoffs and begins to create some brand awareness for the player and the franchise. It's a league that's devoid of personalities, and here's a guy who has a personality, who scores 'SportsCenter' goals."

Apparently the suspicions of some here are thought about north of the border too. It was big topic of discussion on XM Home Ice and is popping up in blogs and news articles all over now. This one (above)I quoted fron the Washington Post's sports writer.

Apparently the suspicions of some here are thought about north of the border too. It was big topic of discussion on XM Home Ice and is popping up in blogs and news articles all over now. This one (above)I quoted fron the Washington Post's sports writer.

I didn't see any disrespect of the Canes in what I read. I saw the media pulling for the Caps to get in the playoffs. Not a mention of the Canes not getting in the playoffs. Do we assume that only one SE team will make it. You know they might be right, when the Caps won the other night, that may have been what it took for them to get in over Boston or Philly or Ottawa. (I don't know, I can hardly keep up with the Canes tie-breaker situation.)

Should the craps, I mean the Caps, make the playoffs and go on to win the Cup, what a story that would be. They are playing like they are one of the best now. Having said all that, I want the Canes to win Friday night -- go in the front door -- and I would be thrilled to see the Caps blow-it to one of the losers in our division. :o

Disrespect has many forms. It may not be what's said, it's what's not said. Having the surging AllStar MVP in the playoffs should be exciting. Seeing Cam Ward in playoff form is exciting too. It seems a bit myopic too think that just having OV in the playoffs would be God's gift to the NHL.