The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
blueize74

Open Rooting for the Caps Amongst the Media

How about this, We win the division, caps get 8th spot. (Even though I have lost a little respect after Tuesday's debacle for AO) It's a win-win situation. The league gets their dream machup with Sid and AO, while our team with 4 great lines (hopefully) make a run in the playoffs.

Disrespect has many forms. It may not be what's said, it's what's not said. Having the surging AllStar MVP in the playoffs should be exciting. Seeing Cam Ward in playoff form is exciting too. It seems a bit myopic too think that just having OV in the playoffs would be God's gift to the NHL.

All I think the article is trying to say is, the NHL would have an easier time getting non-Caps fans to watch the playoffs if the Capitals go far, then trying to get non-Canes fans to watch the playoffs if the Hurricanes go far.

The issue has been around for years now. I wouldn't take personal offense to it because it's not specifically calling out the Canes it's calling out the inability of the NHL to market its teams above its players. Take the MLB or NFL for example. It doesn't matter who is playing in the Yankees lineup or Patriots lineup, non-Yankee fans and Non-Patriots fans will still follow those teams because the teams themselves pull audiences in. Same with the Red Sox, Cowboys, Packers, Bills, etc. For some reason the NHL sucks at accomplishing this. The general attitude of hockey fans across America is "If it's not my team I'm not that interested, however there are a few players I wouldn't mind following".

Of course everyone has their opinion of him. I personally don't like him and don't care to watch him play. He reminds me of some of the "ball hogs" that I used to play with (long time ago) back in high school.

The guy is all about himself and he could care less about his teammates. He is one GREAT hockey player...no argument in that.

I myself will never watch him unless he is playing the Canes. Notice I keep saying "he" and not the team. The Caps have built a "one man team". I don't fault Ovechkin for it, it's the Crapitals management that is at fault.

You can not win the cup with one player and as soon as the Crapitals coach, GM, and owner realize this, they will keep missing the playoffs!

Look at Pittsburg and Crosby...great player but he plays beside and with a lot of other great players like Malkin, Hossa, Roberts, Gonchar, and Sykora just to name a few. This makes up a TEAM!

Same with the Canes and Staal. Don

Semin, Green, Backstrom, Huet. Do those names not ring a bell? How about their injured players? Nylander, Clark. The Caps are hardly a 1 man team.

Green leads the league in defensive goal-scoring. Backstrom leads the league in rookie assists and is most likely going to be the Calder winner.

Ovechkin's a large part of their game, but they've won games when he's been a non-factor.

Pens vs Caps in the playoffs may be a lead on sportscenter, whens the last time that happened. It would be great for the game and thats where the biased from all these hockey writers comes from.

Semin, Green, Backstrom, Huet. Do those names not ring a bell? How about their injured players? Nylander, Clark. The Caps are hardly a 1 man team.

Green leads the league in defensive goal-scoring. Backstrom leads the league in rookie assists and is most likely going to be the Calder winner.

Ovechkin's a large part of their game, but they've won games when he's been a non-factor.

Yeah, it really saddens me that no one is will to even give Price a Calder consideration. :(

Yeah, it really saddens me that no one is will to even give Price a Calder consideration. :(

I beleive that Price might get another trophy this spring called the Conn Smyth!

Agreed - but as I'm sure you know, it's only because we've seen Price for mostly the past few weeks, whereas Backstrom has been getting minutes for the entire season. Personally, I think they're equally deserving.

As far as the situation with the Caps goes, I honestly could care less who the media might be rooting for. Generally, I am not a fan of sports media anyway since they tend to focus on the same people and teams over and over again. The only way I'd be concerned is if refs started blatantly making bad calls to help the Caps (and I know some of you believe they already have, and the thought has crossed my mind as well). I also am not a huge fan of the argument that guys like Crosby and Ovechkin will be the guys the NHL will ride back to prominence in the US sports scene; if all their marketing is focused on cramming these two guys down our throats, then the demographic that the league is trying to attract will likely tune in just to watch these two guys, and that's it. Personally, I'm hoping that the Caps don't make it, not because I greatly dislike them, but because if there's a Pittsburgh/Washington series, we won't hear the end of it. What about real hockey fans that actually care about the other 14 teams in the playoffs?

Quotes like the one from the Washington Post just make me hope we win the division even more. People need to realize other teams and other players matter, too.

I also am not a huge fan of the argument that guys like Crosby and Ovechkin will be the guys the NHL will ride back to prominence in the US sports scene; if all their marketing is focused on cramming these two guys down our throats, then the demographic that the league is trying to attract will likely tune in just to watch these two guys, and that's it.

So, you think we might take some of American Idol's viewers, eh? :rolleyes:

So, you think we might take some of American Idol's viewers, eh? :rolleyes:

Haha, that would at least be a positive. I'd still rather watch Ovechkin and Crosby than the Simon Cowell Hype Machine.

It's a long shot but thanks for the optimism. :)

Like I have told Forever Whalers, I think MTL is a favorite to come out of the East

along with Pitt.

I hope if you guys play Philly you sweep that dirty team

I want the Canes to do well obviously but we are far from a favorite on anything, which

makes this run all the sweeter :)

Like I have told Forever Whalers, I think MTL is a favorite to come out of the East

along with Pitt.

I want the Canes to do well obviously but we are far from a favorite on anything, which

Agreed IMO MTL is a powerhouse with deadly coaching they play their system better than any team in the league!

I still think the Canes, if they do get in are going to surprise many but I realize that without Roddy and our premium puck possesion game, it will be tough to go all the way!

along with Pitt.

Yeah I hear we're the favourites too, but MTL also has a lot of rookies. It's always a gamble going into the playoffs with that many rookies.

As for the Canes, Edmonton was far from a favourite the year they went to the finals. Keep that in mind.

The flip side to that is, when Montreal is winning there is no greater place in the world to play hockey. The players in Montreal are still talking about the impact the fans made in their 5-0 comeback against the Rangers earlier in the season.

The Montreal fans and media have their faults, but they have their perks as well too. UFAs tend to go where contenders are located, neither Montreal or New York have been contenders for the past decade or so.

I didn't mean to pick on Montreal...I mentioned New York; I'm a Rangers fan from way back and could say the same stuff about New York as you did about Montreal. Not every player can handle or wants to be in that sort of atmosphere, though.

I like Montreal out of the East and Detroit out of the West. Of course I said here two years ago that nobody was going to be able to beat the Wings and then Edmonton makes them go away in the first round. So who knows. The Sharks look good in the West too and the Pens in the East. As for the Canes - they need to finish the season better than losing three of their last four games or they may be playing golf soon. Florida would like nothing better than to be the spoiler. Time for the team leaders to step it up a notch again.

Boy those Caps announcers aren't at all biased. The waved-off goal due to a Cap shoving a Lighting player into his own goalie left them ranting all night about the injustice. Even after saying no use crying over spilt milk they went on and on about it - that Laughlin idiot kept calling it "incidental contact". Even the goal the Caps scored next involved Semin running over the TB goalie's stick hand in the crease so he couldn't use it - the refs could have called goaltender interference on that one but let the Caps have it. They're even worse than the Philly announcers.

Pens vs Caps in the playoffs may be a lead on sportscenter, whens the last time that happened. It would be great for the game and thats where the biased from all these hockey writers comes from.

Last post-season meeting between the two teams was in 2001, Penguins winning in 6.

why is that in response to my post, can you read?

From the way you worded it, it appeared as if you were asking when the last time the Caps and Pens met in the playoffs was.

why is that in response to my post, can you read?

When you post

whens the last time that happened.

it looks like a question, even though whens isn't a word and you forgot the question mark.

Can you spell? :lol:

When you post

whens the last time that happened.

it looks like a question, even though whens isn't a word and you forgot the question mark.

Can you spell? :lol:

Im sorry, I thought I meant "when was the last time a hockey game was the lead on sportscenter" (sports news show on ESPN), seeing thats what was written. I guess I'll wait for an administrator to tell me my sentances are too complex for this board.

Im sorry, I thought I meant "when was the last time a hockey game was the lead on sportscenter" (sports news show on ESPN), seeing thats what was written. I guess I'll wait for an administrator to tell me my sentances are too complex for this board.

Your messages are too complex for this board!

Your sentences are too complex for this board. :lol:

kidding kidding

I knew what you meant, but it can easily be misinterpreted. Is it really worth getting upset? ;)

Back to the question you posed, I can't recall anything hockey related being the lead story on ESPN in...um...ever.

Your sentences are too complex for this board. :lol:

kidding kidding

I knew what you meant, but it can easily be misinterpreted. Is it really worth getting upset? ;)

Back to the question you posed, I can't recall anything hockey related being the lead story on ESPN in...um...ever.

there you go misinterpreting things again, assuming I was upset.

Don't you think it is funny that The Canes and Crapitals both play the Lightning and Panthers their last 2 games of the season...yet the Craps get each team on the 2nd game of a back to back in each case?

It's kind of hard not to see some type of favoritism toward getting this team into the playoffs when decisions like this are made.