The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

Goal Horn---What's up with that?

point, I've actually seen other teams fans actually say we get too much horn (as opposed to more cowbell) and that sounding it once (maybe twice) is ok, but our hornblower seems to get into it too much

I disagree I love how much he gets into it.

quote name='CANES_RULE06' post='167835' date='Feb 25 2008, 12:24 AM']Oh I noticed alright. The goal horn takes the game to the next level. It pumps me up to the point of insanity haha. I notice every teams horns. My friends think I'm weird but it's a great part of the game. It did sound weird and I hope its fixed. We obviously have the best horn blower guy. He loves that think GO CANES!!!! I actually want that job to blow the horn.

During Skate With The Canes my son was dying to push this button! I am not sure but I think it was for the game clock, not the goal horn.

One other thing. Isnt it the one they brought from Hartford. They had the same sounding one there. I went to games there before. Maybe its just getting old. But if thats the case get the same sounding one PLEASE!!!!

As was previously mentioned in this thread... yes, it is the same horn. It's the Kahlenberg T-3 (here's a picture).

We sit in 314 and after each score and horn sounding you can hear a compressor going crazy behind us. I think it is recharging the goal horn. The first few games everyone is turning around trying to figure out what the heck is going on, now the regulars all all used to it.

You know, last season when I always sat in the upper level, I saw a hidden area back behind that section and wondered if that's where the horn was. If I get there early enough on March 25, I'll have to remember to look.

During Skate With The Canes my son was dying to push this button! I am not sure but I think it was for the game clock, not the goal horn.

Yeah, that's for the game clock. I'm not totally sure, but I believe the organ player is also the goal horn operator, so I'd imagine the button for the T-3 is by the organ.

Yes I thought it sounded funny. Had the flu or was just stuffed up with some caps stuff... I think a few more goals would have cleared it up.. LOL :lol:

Yes I thought it sounded funny. Had the flu or was just stuffed up with some caps stuff... I think a few more goals would have cleared it up.. LOL :lol:

Yup! Sometimes rest is the best remedy, but I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more fog horn. Hopefully there will be lots of good horn blowin Tuesday.

;)

I'm not totally sure, but I believe the organ player is also the goal horn operator, so I'd imagine the button for the T-3 is by the organ.

The goal horn button is up in the Canesvison control room at the game producer's console.

Nah... I don't really like it. No need to replace the T-3, anyway. It's the second-best horn there is, and nobody else has it, so it should stay here.

Hearing it after Sammy's goal, sounds like the horn is back in full throat tonight.

The horn has recovered from the flu. I was there and it sounded great after both goals.

I've looked all over for it, but I'm pretty sure the T-3 is hidden somewhere where we can't see it from our seats.

Ok, there was another thread here recently about the horn which I had read, so my son and I have been undergoing a quest to find the horn, wandering the arena between periods looking for it. Tonight, on the third game searching, SUCCESS!

Here's how to find it... Go to the very top of Section 316, and stand at the aisle between 316 and 315, face towards the ice. To your immediate right will be a catwalk which is used to walk over the crowd to get to the inner catwalks above the arena to run spotlights and other things... Look on the catwalk where it joins with the inner catwalks, towards the retired State Jerseys. At the junction where that catwalk meets the inner catwalk, the horn is sitting on the catwalk, pointing upward. It would be shielded from view from below by the floor of the catwalk, which is why it is hard to find. It does indeed look exactly like the picture provided earlier, quoted below...

As was previously mentioned in this thread... yes, it is the same horn. It's the Kahlenberg T-3 (here's a picture).

Ok, there was another thread here recently about the horn which I had read, so my son and I have been undergoing a quest to find the horn, wandering the arena between periods looking for it. Tonight, on the third game searching, SUCCESS!

Here's how to find it... Go to the very top of Section 316, and stand at the aisle between 316 and 315, face towards the ice. To your immediate right will be a catwalk which is used to walk over the crowd to get to the inner catwalks above the arena to run spotlights and other things... Look on the catwalk where it joins with the inner catwalks, towards the retired State Jerseys. At the junction where that catwalk meets the inner catwalk, the horn is sitting on the catwalk, pointing upward. It would be shielded from view from below by the floor of the catwalk, which is why it is hard to find. It does indeed look exactly like the picture provided earlier, quoted below...

We usually sit in Section 316, I guess the horn is right above us, explaining why it is SO LOUD. Tonight we were in 328 and towards the top of the arena. While I could still hear the horn and it sounded normal, it did sound a bit faint. But I credit that to the possibility of us sitting away from horn, maybe, on the opposite side of the arena?

Awesome! Thanks for the directions... I'm definitely taking a picture next time I go. B)

Awesome! Thanks for the directions... I'm definitely taking a picture next time I go. B)

Post it when you get it. I was going to get one, but I'd just as soon take yours :)

I think it's time we get a new goal horn sound? What you guys think.

oh NO! Bite your tongue! Our fog horns came with the team from Hartford! ( remember the Whalers?) It's TRADITION y'all!

You think the horn is loud from your seats, try being on the catwalk at the horn end when it goes off! Remember when they use to drop the foam pucks on the crowd when a puck hit the net? Well, someone had to drop those pucks and I got to do it once. Really cool view of the game from up there. But very loud when the horn goes off and you are standing right next to it!

Not to worry about our horn. I followed the link to the photo and that took me on a journey through several internet sites about ship horns (and that's what it is). The Kahlenberg T-3 is still made by Kahlenberg, along with repair parts. There are sites that sell horns, bulletin boards about them, and several Youtube clips showing where some folks mount them on the roof of a vehicle and go out to the middle of nowhere and toot them. Takes all kinds, I guess. Bottom line is that if it exists, you can buy it, fix it, write about it, collect it, and talk about it via cyberspace. The future of our horn seems secure