The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

The official "I'm mad as heck and I'm not gonna take it anymore" thread

Sadly I deduce the same thing. Many of the Canes are thinking about future contracts and have given up here and now.

In the chat with Rutheford I noticed he said this wasn't the year he wanted to go out and spend an arm and a leg for any major changes. My prediction, as much as it makes me shake my head, is that we have a similar finish to last year and miss the playoffs and we see some serious changes in the off-season.

I haven't given up on the team but I am not blind to the trends.

The Rivercanes have actually been playing well IMO. I say send a few of the veterans to Albany and keep Aucoin and Borer.

Ok, you take Aucoin and Borer and I'll take Cullen and Wesley or Hedican.

All my point was is that with a lack of skills and experience, our margin for error is very small. I did not in any way belittle the efforts of the RiverRat players who have shown a great deal of effort and performed admirably. But there is no way these guys are going to be able to live up to the abilities of the players who are out, or over time, the ones who still remain.

I knew it was poison to post in this thread, I should have taken my advice and stayed away from it.

I say send a few of the veterans to Albany and keep Aucoin and Borer.

And this solves what exactly? Sure... let's send Rod, Stiller, and Wesley to Albany and we'll keep Aucoin, Borer, and Brookbank? I guarantee that sending VETERANS to Albany won't help us. Not to bring up the whole "Grahame Situation" again, but has sending him up to Albany helped us an awful lot so far? Please please PLEASE no one say yes. I don't mind keeping Aucoin and Borer, but they are only temporary and are here in the place of someone playing horrible or injuries, sad as it is.

What do the Canes need most right now? Anyone want to answer? I say health and different pads because obviously the ones they are using now aren't preventing injuries too well!!!

All I must say, to be off-topic in this thread, is I have high hopes for big changes by the first of February, or soon after.

Leave it to the Canes to find a way to lose to the f'n Leafs. The last 2 games have crushed what little patience & confidence in this team I still had. This team is total garbage right now and is going nowhere in it's present state. I don't think the season is lost cause, but man this is depressing to even think about right now.

Can't wait to see the Sens and Oilers destroy us. My how far we've fallen since the last time the Oilers were on the visitors bench at the RBC.

The Canes just proved tonight that they don't seem to care about playoffs, their ultimate goal, and even getting out of this struggle. Since late November we've struggled and JR has done two things, Getting Samsonov who seems to be the only one out there at times, and moving Grahame to Albany which just slapped the team in the face for a good ONE game. We are playing Sad and the fact that our GM has not guts to take a risk makes me disgusted. Since we lost our playoff spot for now, DO SOMETHING. Trade someone, but make a GOOD trade. This is ridiculous, and it's getting to the point where I'd rather sleep than watch a Canes game.

Leave it to the Canes to find a way to lose to the f'n Leafs. The last 2 games have crushed what little patience & confidence in this team I still had. This team is total garbage right now and is going nowhere in it's present state. I don't think the season is lost cause, but man this is depressing to even think about right now.

Can't wait to see the Sens and Oilers destroy us. My how far we've fallen since the last time the Oilers were on the visitors bench at the RBC.

If one disregards the start of the year, the Hurricanes have become one of the worst teams in the NHL. Pretty pathetic given the amount of talent.

I can handle an occasional loss but these loses have been demoralizing by the way they are played. I can offer lots of suggestions of things that need to happen but it's all been discussed over and over. I think things point to a coaching change. I love Lavi but these are the symptoms of a team with talent not meeting expectations. They won't make a coaching change but that's my opinion. Yes there are flu issues and injuries but I still don't think the team is playing good hockey at the role-playing positions.

That's all I am going to say because it won't do any good to beat a dead horse some more.

The past two games should've been blow outs for the Canes. I understand are roster took a hit with the flu, but they don't seem to care or show that they care. Avs were on a 3 game skid and the Leafs tonight were in horrible shape, but beat us. And why change Leighton in net. In all seriousness, Leighton probably would've played alot better than Ward that period, seeing as Leighton has to fight to gain a start, Ward has that thing in the back of his mind that he won't get sent down or traded. The Leafs were on a 5 game skid, and now we are on a 4 game skid. We are a laughingstock right now. We are ridiculous. I can no longer say to a friend who is a fan of another team we are playing "Ready to lose to the Canes tonight?" Because I no longer have much confidence in them and no longer have patience. We blew our chance tonight, and I honestly think if nothing serious changes then we will not make the playoffs yet again, and I smell a re-occurance of the aftermath of the 02 Cup finals appearance. (Finishing Last and Second to last in the NHL, not taken seriously, not a contender, and not a playoff team). I honestly thought last season was a hangover from the Cup, but there is no excuse this season. We had good rest and preparations. What disgusts me further is the fact this is the 10th Anniversary and I honestly thought we could at LEAST make it to the Playoffs on this momentous season. Guess not.

If one disregards the start of the year, the Hurricanes have become one of the worst teams in the NHL. Pretty pathetic given the amount of talent.

Yep. If you took the Canes first 16 games of this season where they went 9-4-3, and you changed it to reflect the crappy performance they've been giving over the last 2 months and made it something more like, 6-8-2, they would have a whopping 41 points on the season right now, which would put them 14th place in the East, and Tampa Bay would be in dead last just 2 points behind but with 2 games in hand, which would mean, that if Tampa won both of its next 2 games, Carolina would be in DEAD LAST in the East.

So, it really and truly is a VERY FAIR statement to say that disregarding its strong start, Carolina is one of the worst teams in the league. This statement, coupled with the overused "well, at least we're still in 1st" excuse from many different leaders on our team speaks volumes about where this team is headed - nowhere.

I'll still watch and listen to games and I'll still go to a few games because I love them and they're my team, but I'd be lying to myself if I couldn't admit that they are absolutely horrid.

First off, I'd just like to say that I read these message boards almost every day and NEVER post, I just like reading for some reason ;) But I have hit a wall and i am so beyond irate with the way this season is going that i just cant take it anymore - i need to vent. Look, i know that the team is injured and sick and whatnot, but i'm tired of these excuses! This team just lost to one of the lousiest teams in the entire league - they couldnt beat anybody, and who better to break a losing streak then to our Canes. Now we're tied with the Thrash atop our so-called "division," although they actually have taken away first since they have a game in hand. News flash everybody, Cam Ward sucks! and i really like Wardo! But he is put into this system WAY too early. Yes, i know the defense is terrible too. Heaven forbid we actually make a move to salvage this season. It seems like JR is content with just letting us slip slide away in our terrible division. When are they going to realize that we need to spend money on a decent d-man? this isn't hard to see, everyone in the friggin league can see it! Look, i'm not saying we need to trade Ward or Staal or Brindy, but would it hurt to give up one of our 48 forwards and a draft pick and get a Liles or even a Brian Campbell for that matter (can you say trade deadline?)? The fact is..we could win the next 10 games and we would STILL need to get some new D. Chances are we'd win them all 6-5, but hey whatever!

The fact is that I absolutely love this team, more than any sporting team ever. I live, breathe, and die by this team through thick and thin. I made it out to the Colorado game and left the game in disbelief. I live in Richmond, and get down to Raleigh whenever i get the chance. I'm a big Wolfpack fan, so i'm no stranger to heartache and pain.

I'm sure that nothing being said here is really anything new to anyone, but i just really needed to get this off my chest. The way this team is going is absolutely ridiculous.

I think a lot of changes need to be made. I have one question. In the game tonight against the Leafs, why in the world did Ward replace Leighton? Leighton seemed to be doing fine. Some good Ward did. The D played bad; letting 33 shots on goal is not good. We need better D and a better goalie. We are one of the most inconsistent team in the lead, if not the worst.

First off, I'd just like to say that I read these message boards almost every day and NEVER post, I just like reading for some reason ;) But I have hit a wall and i am so beyond irate with the way this season is going that i just cant take it anymore - i need to vent. Look, i know that the team is injured and sick and whatnot, but i'm tired of these excuses! This team just lost to one of the lousiest teams in the entire league - they couldnt beat anybody, and who better to break a losing streak then to our Canes. Now we're tied with the Thrash atop our so-called "division," although they actually have taken away first since they have a game in hand. News flash everybody, Cam Ward sucks! and i really like Wardo! But he is put into this system WAY too early. Yes, i know the defense is terrible too. Heaven forbid we actually make a move to salvage this season. It seems like JR is content with just letting us slip slide away in our terrible division. When are they going to realize that we need to spend money on a decent d-man? this isn't hard to see, everyone in the friggin league can see it! Look, i'm not saying we need to trade Ward or Staal or Brindy, but would it hurt to give up one of our 48 forwards and a draft pick and get a Liles or even a Brian Campbell for that matter (can you say trade deadline?)? The fact is..we could win the next 10 games and we would STILL need to get some new D. Chances are we'd win them all 6-5, but hey whatever!

The fact is that I absolutely love this team, more than any sporting team ever. I live, breathe, and die by this team through thick and thin. I made it out to the Colorado game and left the game in disbelief. I live in Richmond, and get down to Raleigh whenever i get the chance. I'm a big Wolfpack fan, so i'm no stranger to heartache and pain.

I'm sure that nothing being said here is really anything new to anyone, but i just really needed to get this off my chest. The way this team is going is absolutely ridiculous.

Good post and welcome.

Good post and welcome.

I think a lot of changes need to be made. I have one question. In the game tonight against the Leafs, why in the world did Ward replace Leighton? Leighton seemed to be doing fine. Some good Ward did. The D played bad; letting 33 shots on goal is not good. We need better D and a better goalie. We are one of the most inconsistent team in the lead, if not the worst.

Good question.

I refer to my previous post about coaching.

The Canes just proved tonight that they don't seem to care about playoffs, their ultimate goal, and even getting out of this struggle. Since late November we've struggled and JR has done two things, Getting Samsonov who seems to be the only one out there at times, and moving Grahame to Albany which just slapped the team in the face for a good ONE game. We are playing Sad and the fact that our GM has not guts to take a risk makes me disgusted. Since we lost our playoff spot for now, DO SOMETHING. Trade someone, but make a GOOD trade. This is ridiculous, and it's getting to the point where I'd rather sleep than watch a Canes game.

Please note the lack of trades all around the NHL. It's not that JR isn't trying to make a trade, it's that man GMs just do not like making trades. This isn't the MLB where trades go down frequently without a second thought. Brian Burke was right to call out his fellow GMs for their unwillingness to make deals. We aren't going to magically fix our team with a trade or two around the deadline. The best that we can hope for from a trade, honestly, is to put ourselves in a good position to be better in 2-3 years.

Please note the lack of trades all around the NHL. It's not that JR isn't trying to make a trade, it's that man GMs just do not like making trades. This isn't the MLB where trades go down frequently without a second thought. Brian Burke was right to call out his fellow GMs for their unwillingness to make deals. We aren't going to magically fix our team with a trade or two around the deadline. The best that we can hope for from a trade, honestly, is to put ourselves in a good position to be better in 2-3 years.

Exactly right. JR knows this and he mentioned it in his interview. So, what to do then? Pray? LOL

JR is too cheap to sign or trade for a good D-man, so maybe if he leaves for Toronto at least the new GM would DO SOMETHING. JR has had a long time to fix the hole in the team. But after every loss that hole gets bigger and bigger. If he had just patched the hole when it presented itself when we had people at expense, we wouldn't be where we are now. I blame JR, for not making any real moves when they should have been made.

Trading isn't the always answer either. Making a move doesn't always equal a trade. Signing someone, claiming someone, it could've been done. At the time of the problem starting, it was a brilliant time to make a trade, might I remind you all of the Ducks predicament? If JR made a deal to get a decent Dman here, alot of things wouldn't be what they are now.

Now it's a little late. The only thing we can hope for is a deadline move.

Even two long posts weren't enough. I AM DISGUSTED. The Hurricanes blew the season, the 10th Anniversary season at that, and JR doesn't seem to do anything. The talk about trading Cole, that would be a mistake. In the past two games, he has skated well and buried goals in each. He seems like one of the few showing some edge and flair. If you want to look somewhere for lack of offense. Our Defense has barely ANY points. Three goals for Toronto were from D-men. We need not just one, but at least two good puck moving D who can actually score. Gleason can move the puck and create chances, but we need ones who can create their own chances and notch a goal at needed times. I remember Kaberle used to be able to do that, Aaron Ward too. Sometimes Wallin, but for the most part, none are stepping up.

The way i see it is that we should be just as good (if not better) than Ottawa if we could get some better defense. I know that is insane to say, but think about this...Look at our forwards - when healthy, they are every bit as deep and talented as Ottawa's, yet Ottawa has the defense to protect their forwards and decrease the amount of shots coming toward Gerber or Emery. There is absolutely nothing spectacular about those two goaltenders, yet they look amazing on paper by the fact that they have the D to help them out. I realize that the Sens shell out a ton of money for them, but wow, what a novelty to actually spend money on some defense! JR has the money to get a high-dollar defenseman (or two), and bring in some much needed help on the blue line.

JR is too cheap to sign or trade for a good D-man, so maybe if he leaves for Toronto at least the new GM would DO SOMETHING. JR has had a long time to fix the hole in the team. But after every loss that hole gets bigger and bigger. If he had just patched the hole when it presented itself when we had people at expense, we wouldn't be where we are now. I blame JR, for not making any real moves when they should have been made.

Trading isn't the always answer either. Making a move doesn't always equal a trade. Signing someone, claiming someone, it could've been done. At the time of the problem starting, it was a brilliant time to make a trade, might I remind you all of the Ducks predicament? If JR made a deal to get a decent Dman here, alot of things wouldn't be what they are now

Even two long posts weren't enough. I AM DISGUSTED. The Hurricanes blew the season, the 10th Anniversary season at that, and JR doesn't seem to do anything. The talk about trading Cole, that would be a mistake. In the past two games, he has skated well and buried goals in each. He seems like one of the few showing some edge and flair. If you want to look somewhere for lack of offense. Our Defense has barely ANY points. Three goals for Toronto were from D-men. We need not just one, but at least two good puck moving D who can actually score. Gleason can move the puck and create chances, but we need ones who can create their own chances and notch a goal at needed times. I remember Kaberle used to be able to do that, Aaron Ward too. Sometimes Wallin, but for the most part, none are stepping up.

If you're going to completely disregard all the reasons as to why this team has to be "cheap" then at least blame the right person. The defense has been bad for a while now, it didn't just start this season when the Ducks were looking to make a salary dump (which we really couldn't take on). Why even mention the Ducks thing? Would Andy McDonald's superb defensive play at center (we don't have enough of those) have us on a championship course? You have to have two willing teams to make a trade, and it has to make sense to both. Who says JR isn't trying to get something done? Would you rather us get ripped off? We don't have the picks/prospects that most teams are going to want to give up a known quality player, which makes it very hard for us to make a trade. Most teams trading a decent guy on the NHL roster are doing so to build for the future or else they wouldn't be trying to trade the player.

Also, while a puck moving defenseman would be nice, they aren't easy to come by and are very costly. Plus, to solve our most glaring problem, they'd need to play solid defense. Thats is more important than a defenseman who is a solid passer. If we can somehow find a guy who is both, awesome. But I can guarantee you that player would not come cheaply.

Hell, half the league is looking for a puck moving defenseman and they probably have better prospects or NHL level players to throw in than the Canes

Hell, half the league is looking for a puck moving defenseman and they probably have better prospects or NHL level players to throw in than the Canes

We don't need a puck moving defensemen

we need a solid, true first line stay at home d-man