The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

The official "I'm mad as heck and I'm not gonna take it anymore" thread

Maybe the people running the main 'Canes site check here, because the poll on the front is one that I think everyone can enjoy.

I didn't see the "all of the above" option in that poll :huh:

I think its safe to say that the Canes are officially in trouble now. I really hope something happens this week to shake things up.

I think its safe to say that the Canes are officially in trouble now. I really hope something happens this week to shake things up.

If I could create a little metaphor here:

The Canes struck an iceberg. The lifeboats have been gnawed on by termites. The deckhands are all standing around confused. There are sharks circling in the water. And the signal flares are all wet.

Something's got to give.....and soon. If it doesn't, I will be really disappointed in JR for letting this just continue on and on and hoping it fixes itself. We just keep going out and getting band-aids for the problem and not really fixing it and that has to stop.

You know, JR's made some bad moves in the past. No need to go into Johnson, but let's look at the past couple moves.

The Good:

Yeah, bringing Cullen back was good, if not obvious.

And D-berg has been one of our best defensemen, although it seems the loss of Kevyn may have had a bigger impact than previous thought

The Bad:

Vasichek returns and does....basically nothing. Then he heads to the Islanders and suddenly becomes useable again.

The Ugly:

Anson Carter comes here and DOES do nothing. But considering how little we gave up for him, and how little time we had to deal with him, it was bareable.

And as much as I hate to say it, Jeff Hamilton is starting to rank up there with Carter. Yeah, he started out great, but he hasn't done anything for quite a while now. And since we're stuck with him for the year, it's becoming more and more obvious this move wasn't a good one.

It looks as if the easiest goal to score is off the weak side. This gets the goalie out of position. It opens up the net.

Some goalies give up rebounds. However, if you are not physical enough to bump and bang in front of the net you are not going to score much.

In the year of the cup win, we needed two goalies (Gerber and Ward). They each played enough to solidify the position. It also built team confidence in both.

I still think a coaching change is needed. I mean what are Lavi's explanation for our slump? I haven't heard anythign different than we're getting bad bounces. He needs to call out Roddy, I mean I believe he's frustrated with the streak since the's the coach, but i doubt he's done anything to motivate this team really.

I mean right after the timeout against the Isles, the Isles were the oens who still came out and pressured the canes, not much needs to be said there.

I think it may come down to coaching, but the guy did bring us the cup, so I think he gets at least one major pass. I think a major shake-up trade happens. If the team doesn't respond and misses the playoffs, then Lavi is gone and the rebuilding starts.

How much of "bringing" the cup did Lavi have to do with....I wonder. Listen, I'm not saying he's a bad coach but maybe he's one of those 3-5 year guys then his time runs out, the guys stop listening. Who knows....just see something is wrong. Again, I would sit tight a little longer but then again that cold be a bad idea. I see a shake-up trade coming.

I think it may come down to coaching, but the guy did bring us the cup, so I think he gets at least one major pass. I think a major shake-up trade happens. If the team doesn't respond and misses the playoffs, then Lavi is gone and the rebuilding starts.

Didn't he get a major pass when the canes became the first team since the Expansion Era to miss the playoffs the year after they won the Cup? If they miss another yea, people will keep calling this team a fluke.

I don't think canes will pull off a big trade, i'm not sure how they'll rebuild. Dealing Whitney, or letting Stillman go would be like getting two of our best offensive threats go. Staal , Williams, and Ward are still young. Cole could be tradeable but he put sin an effort every night. I guess Cullen could be traded, but I'm sure the canes would regret letting him go again

So i don't know who they can deal, the defense needs to be re-built if anything, but they'll have to wait until the offseason to do that and hope Wesley (not that he's been bad) and Hedican retire.

So I guess Lavi could be blamed, but on second thought the scouting has been brutal as well. How many of these guys have we actually brought up from our own system? Ladd, Cole, Ward, and Staal? (I might've missed some other player, sorry). But yea, scouting hasn't helped, and although the GM can be blamed, the scouts tell him who to draft and JR does his best with the resources he has. I think he's put a good finesse team on the ice, but they aren't playing like a finesse team, hence, they are under performing, and maybe he should look at firing Lavi if anything to send a message.

I really don't think its the offense. If you see these games in person, for example last night's game, it looks like the offense plays a bit more tentative because they don't trust the defense or the goaltender. If they play that agressive offensive style, there's bound to be a turnover and these guys know its 50/50 whether or not the goalie is going to stop the puck, and about 20/80 as to whether the defense will get back there in time to break up the play.

Before you scrap the coach, which isn't easy to replace, fix the defense first. With a better defense, the goalie gets more support and he can play more confidently. And with a more confident goalie and stable defense, the forwards can agressively go in and play the system they're supposed to.

Before FW jumps and and thinks Im just defending the coach, Im not, but it makes no sense scrapping the whole system when you know where fixes could be made that could make overall improvements in the team's play. If this doesn't work, then yes, you have a coaching issue.

Some of you may not agree with me but I attribute what we see as "mailing it in" or "lathargic play" as more of a mental issue for this team. As someone said earlier (don't remember where or what thread), its not like these guys want to go out there and be embarassed and dont care. I just think its got to be tough, night after night knowing that even if your teams scores a few goals, it might not be enough because the defense(including the goalie) is going to let in too many. Just look at the GF/GA ratio, it really kinda says it all.

This is a general observation of the team as a whole IMO. I do realize that there are nights when individual players really seem to be struggling too.

In summary, this team lacks trust and cohesion on the ice. And thats the story and that's the story I'm sticking to.

I really don't think its the offense. If you see these games in person, for example last night's game, it looks like the offense plays a bit more tentative because they don't trust the defense or the goaltender. If they play that agressive offensive style, there's bound to be a turnover and these guys know its 50/50 whether or not the goalie is going to stop the puck, and about 20/80 as to whether the defense will get back there in time to break up the play.

Before you scrap the coach, which isn't easy to replace, fix the defense first. With a better defense, the goalie gets more support and he can play more confidently. And with a more confident goalie and stable defense, the forwards can agressively go in and play the system they're supposed to.

Before FW jumps and and thinks Im just defending the coach, Im not, but it makes no sense scrapping the whole system when you know where fixes could be made that could make overall improvements in the team's play. If this doesn't work, then yes, you have a coaching issue.

Some of you may not agree with me but I attribute what we see as "mailing it in" or "lathargic play" as more of a mental issue for this team. As someone said earlier (don't remember where or what thread), its not like these guys want to go out there and be embarassed and dont care. I just think its got to be tough, night after night knowing that even if your teams scores a few goals, it might not be enough because the defense(including the goalie) is going to let in too many. Just look at the GF/GA ratio, it really kinda says it all.

This is a general observation of the team as a whole IMO. I do realize that there are nights when individual players really seem to be struggling too.

In summary, this team lacks trust and cohesion on the ice. And thats the story and that's the story I'm sticking to.

Didn't he get a major pass when the canes became the first team since the Expansion Era to miss the playoffs the year after they won the Cup? If they miss another yea, people will keep calling this team a fluke.

I don't think canes will pull off a big trade, i'm not sure how they'll rebuild. Dealing Whitney, or letting Stillman go would be like getting two of our best offensive threats go. Staal , Williams, and Ward are still young. Cole could be tradeable but he put sin an effort every night. I guess Cullen could be traded, but I'm sure the canes would regret letting him go again

So i don't know who they can deal, the defense needs to be re-built if anything, but they'll have to wait until the offseason to do that and hope Wesley (not that he's been bad) and Hedican retire.

So I guess Lavi could be blamed, but on second thought the scouting has been brutal as well. How many of these guys have we actually brought up from our own system? Ladd, Cole, Ward, and Staal? (I might've missed some other player, sorry). But yea, scouting hasn't helped, and although the GM can be blamed, the scouts tell him who to draft and JR does his best with the resources he has. I think he's put a good finesse team on the ice, but they aren't playing like a finesse team, hence, they are under performing, and maybe he should look at firing Lavi if anything to send a message.

NJ missed the playoffs the year after they won one of their Cups

then again, they've had multiple coaching changes since then....

The goal tending needs to be a little better. The defense will be hard to fix just by only adding a puck moving defensemen though we do need one, especially with Hedican out. With Cullen out, the lines are turning into a mess and if we can't kill penalties any better, we're going to fade fast. We need a multiple move, preferably with a d man and a forward. One move won't save us this year unless it's a hot goalie which isn't going to happen.

and i would like to add a big THANKS to the rest of the southeastern conference for not being hot right now....although the caps have beaten the sens 2 str8 times...ooooooooooo thats scary!

and i would like to add a big THANKS to the rest of the southeastern conference for not being hot right now....although the caps have beaten the sens 2 str8 times...ooooooooooo thats scary!

That's too happy for this thread ;)

That's too happy for this thread ;)

How about this...

We are doomed, we are doomed... Fire JR, fire Lavi... Sell the franchise... start rebuild now.

Trade everyone... We are the worst team in NHL

How about this...

We are doomed, we are doomed... Fire JR, fire Lavi... Sell the franchise... start rebuild now.

Thats much better, I thought I was going to have to lock this thread for being too happy.

Warning: Sarcasm alert

How about this...

Thats much better, I thought I was going to have to lock this thread for being too happy.

Warning: Sarcasm alert

GRAWR! I ARE MAD! :o

Neither goaltender of the Hurricanes are playing like they want to start the next game. When the team is doing mediocre at best, Staal is playing some of his better hockey of the season. Erik Cole won't stop passing when he can shoot it. Hamilton forgot how to take a shot. The PP decided to go to Hawaii for Christmas Vacation and has loved it so much it won't come back. Our PK thought about showing up this season, but recently forgot how to be decent. Willy just HAD to get injured and GM JR won't do anything and keeps hoping that problems will fix in time, when we need to find someone new on the roster to save the season. Our team needs a wake-up, because they are in a deep sleep in which a nightmare that they had back in '03 is re-occuring and the alarm-clock is broken and no one is trying to wake us up.

RAWR!!!! CHANGE SOMETHINGG :OOO or we can just, you know, miraculously become the team we played as in October because that's ganna happen, since JR thinks everything is going to fix itself.