The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Post Game Analysis vs. Washington 4/1

Had to be the worst game officiated in the whole year!!!Not a smart move bringing WilliamS and Whitney back they we both invisible!!We got out muscled all over the ice,,we looked like we did in the beginning of the season!!When we play physical we win,,,plain and simple!!We were always a man down tonite with the officials wearing Caps jerseys..Not a good time for Cam to go into a slump,he has been very shakey the last 2 games...WE got outplayed form the onset of the game,,,not a good showing,,,no heart tonite,,i sure hope they can find it on the way home!!!!Can you say "CHOKE"!!!!

Officiating aside, we didn't deserve to win this game. We came out lifeless, and it cost us in the end. Once again, this is the same team that's shown up for the past 4 or 5 games. I don't know what happen to the team that played Ottawa, but they've disappeared.

Some positives out of tonight:

- Gleason was sound defensively throughout the game. He was also one of the few who would play the body on Ovechkin and get the puck away from him.

- LaRose, I thought, had a lot of energy. He was really skating his tail off. He can't do much on his own, which is why nothing came of it tonight, but the effort was there.

Other comments:

- Ward looked shakey early. Huge rebound led to the first, and over-reading the play led to the second. Still, when you're peppered with as many shots as we let up, you can't blame him.

- Staal had some chances. Wish he'd deke once in a while though. He was one-on-one with a defender, and elected to go for a slapshot. It's just something that irks me about him.

My goats:

- Samsonov. Could we please get him off the line with Staal and Cole? He's obviously lost out there with them. His game revolves around puck possession, and since Staal usually loses the faceoff, that line doesn't have puck possession often.

- Whitney. He took his place in the penalty box, as usual. Even without the questionable officiating, Whitney's had a problem with penalties. And the hook he took right before getting on the bench was just stupid. Completely unnecessary.

ok to stew tonight, because by Friday it won't matter. We'll have taken the Division and maybe the Caps will get in.

This team is resilient, and will bounce back.

I don't care who we sit, we need Brookbank and Conboy in the game the rest of the season

Wow we agree :)

Too many smurfs out there. It's either Aucoin or LaRose, Letowski, Hamilton. 2 of the 4, that's it.

My goats:

- Samsonov. Could we please get him off the line with Staal and Cole?...

It's Cole you want off the line. Put Ruutu out there to do the digging. I'd even put Whitney with Staal and Sammy.

I missed the first period and plan to watch it a little later but the boys had NO will to win tonight.

Some calls were bad but that really doesn't matter because we can over come them. They just have to do it.

Time to git 'r done. The guys know what needs to be done and they just flat out didn't do it tonight.

Sad. Really sad. If I wanted watch zebras i'd go to the zoo. And if I want to watch a hockey game it'd been pretty freaking awesome if I could actually watch one. I agree the team could have played alot better. But it's gotta be difficult to play such a lop sided game... And Lavi looked happy compared to how I would have looked. Hence if I was him I wouldn't have a job tomorrow. Time to refocus and put it all out there for the next two. Go Canes!!!

It's Cole you want off the line. Put Ruutu out there to do the digging. I'd even put Whitney with Staal and Sammy.

At least Cole is getting chances. He's not burying them, but that's another story. Samsonov, for the past couple games now, has been trying to pass through bodies, and it's not working.

So many things to hate about this game, where to begin...

The first period went just as I dreaded it would. The Caps came out with fire in their belly and the Canes came out like they thought the game started at 8:00. The game was lost in this period. For a team to come out like that in a game of this magnitude is beyond pathetic. There is no excuse, no justification for it.

And then there was the 2nd period.... We actually show some life and the refs snuffed it out. Every important call went the Caps way, the Ovechkin blatant crosscheck on Staal magically resulting in matching penalties being the most egregious. Sure we got a couple of makeup calls here and there, but when the game was teetering on the brink, the Caps got every call.

But all in all, the Canes didn't deserve to win anyway. Their effort was laughable.

By the way... What has happened to Erik Cole? He has vanished the last... heck, I can't even recall the last time he actually showed up for a game.

Seriously, if this is the kind of play we are to expect from him in the future, I hope JR trades him this offseason... his game has gone SOFT

I think Coach Lavi finally snapped after his tirade over the goaltender interference call on Walker and not on Fedorov.

The one later on Bayda was really iffy. He was falling down!!!!

Officiating is gonna be as it is. The Canes did not compete. It was almost like they thought the Caps were just gonna roll over or something.

If we can't win these next two games we don't deserve the playoffs. I was almost sick with tension tonight and now I have to go through it again twice!! Our boys have to put this one behind them and channel their frustration toward Tampa Bay. We need to put them away early.

Go Canes! It is still in your hands!!!!! Win out and you're in!!!!

Right now I see both the Canes and Caps getting in. Ottawa or Boston will be the odd team out, going head-to-head in their season finale.

I need to vent. I'm sorry but I am absolutely fuming from this game. Like it or not, the refs dictated this game to a ridiculous extent. It's not the fact that they called penalties, its WHEN they called them. How the heck can you call those Wallin and Ovechkin penalties. Are you serious Ovie? Did you think that maybe for a second that Staal was trying to get a loose rebound through Huet's five hole? So in this instance, the Canes could have been back to even strength 4 on 4, but no - the refs end up keeping it 5-4 for the Craps.

Is it just me or does Ovechkin get special treatment for getting touched? Heaven forbid we touch the golden child! PENALTY, 2 mins.

The third period we finally starting getting things going, then the goalie interference penalty on Bayda?? Are you kidding me? Then as soon as his penalty is killed, we IMMEDIATELY get called for another one.

The Wallin-Ovechkin penalties led to a PP goal, and as soon as we were getting going in the third, another bogus call to deflate us.

I won't lie, I thought Washington was the better team tonight, but you have got to be sniffing some glue if you don't think that this game was not influenced by the refs, and that is NOT how a game should be decided.

thank you Ryan Bayda, Scott Walker, Chad LaRose, and most of the defense for showing up and knowing how important this game was. i just wish the rest of the team would have showed up...

..oh, and the refs.. <_<

scratch that.. as much as i want to, i can't blame the refs, we still should've scored more goals..

I posted this exchange in the game thread, and I will re-post here.

From the Capitals Comcast telecast:

Color guy: "There's Greener upending Bayda and tripping him down right into the goaltender. And I think Bayda has the right to complain over that."

Play by play: "I have one word to say on that. WOW."

Color guy: "I said int he first period the refereeing was great. I'm not gonna say that now."

That being said, we got outworked, outskated, and outplayed. And when we DID get some momentum going, it got taken from us. By force.

Rat Pack worked their tails off, as usual. Not much from anyone else. Staal seemed to be trying. Whitney and Williams shouldn't have been brought back. Ruutu was invisible. Samsonov was making dumb passes. Just a bad performance when we needed a good one. We got beat. By the referees, yes, but also by the Caps.

The "goal tender interfernce" call on Walker when the Canes had 5-3 was a joke. If the Canes had tied the game at that time, the result could have been far different.

self destruction repeat from the end of last season maybe? i dont see how we can go 9-2-1 in march and be in this position right now.

on a positive note, cool bars in north raleigh was awesome...got to try and open up a frozen t-shirt!!

Refs can affect the outcome of a game but cannot win or lose a game. Players still need to score or stop the other team from scoring.

I will agree with everyone who says the ref'ing was awful, cause it was.

I will also agree with everyone who says the Caps outplayed the Canes.

Could the absence of bad officiating allowed the Canes to win. I believe so but at the end of the day the 1st period goals were ones that should have been stopped. Huet outplayed Cam early, when officiating was not really a factor.

So, Canes fans. Accept the loss, go to bed, go to work, and go root for the Canes tomorrow night. That is my plan. The hockey gods have no control over us now. Caps have to take care of theirs and so do we.

As for the actual game. Whitney when tired, gets stupid penalties, proof of that tonight. Cole needs to be stronger on the puck, don't know if he is hurting or something. Walker line, nuff said about that. Cam, decent night but not game 7 night. Sammie was flying around just not getting the passes to connect, great energy though. Staal played well but did not really get into the flow of things. Maybe just due to the calls or something, not sure if his head was really in the game. I honestly feel that lack of Brookbank and Conboy was a problem, considering Willie only played briefly. Cullen is the missing link not Whitney or Williams. Getting Hamilton off the team is the first step to success.

Good night all, see you tomorrow.

Refs can affect the outcome of a game but cannot win or lose a game. Players still need to score or stop the other team from scoring.

I will agree with everyone who says the ref'ing was awful, cause it was.

I will also agree with everyone who says the Caps outplayed the Canes.

Could the absence of bad officiating allowed the Canes to win. I believe so but at the end of the day the 1st period goals were ones that should have been stopped. Huet outplayed Cam early, when officiating was not really a factor.

So, Canes fans. Accept the loss, go to bed, go to work, and go root for the Canes tomorrow night. That is my plan. The hockey gods have no control over us now. Caps have to take care of theirs and so do we.

As for the actual game. Whitney when tired, gets stupid penalties, proof of that tonight. Cole needs to be stronger on the puck, don't know if he is hurting or something. Walker line, nuff said about that. Cam, decent night but not game 7 night. Sammie was flying around just not getting the passes to connect, great energy though. Staal played well but did not really get into the flow of things. Maybe just due to the calls or something, not sure if his head was really in the game. I honestly feel that lack of Brookbank and Conboy was a problem, considering Willie only played briefly. Cullen is the missing link not Whitney or Williams. Getting Hamilton off the team is the first step to success.

Good night all, see you tomorrow.

All in all, it was just not the kind of game that was worthy of the setting. The officiating was beyond terrible. I agree that Hamilton's participation really does more harm than good against a strong team like the CAPs. I can't imagine how the Hurricanes could get into a reasonable rhythm when the officials were making outrageous calls. The Samsonov, Staal, Cole line seemed out of sync. The PP has started to be totally useless over the past two games. So, the season comes down to two games and whether the Hurricanes can beat two of the worst teams in the NHL at home when the Division and Playoffs are on the line. Put tonight aside and come out angry and fierce tomorrow and Friday.

Pissing and moaning about the officiating is not the answer. I've been watching hockey at all levels for 40 years, and what happened tonight is OFTEN what happens when one team comes out and quickly establishes a physical presence and the other team doesn't even ATTEMPT to respond until it's way too late: wrong though it may be, the refs see it as retaliation.

These suggestions of a vast conspiracy to get the Caps in are a lot of malarkey. It was clear from the opening faceoff that the refs were going to let these teams play and we failed to bring it. Washington finished every hit in the first period, and cleanly. Gleason was the only guy on our roster doing the same and it showed on the scoreboard at the end of that period.

We can cry in our beers all we want about how this and that call was unfair in the second and third periods, but the bottom line is this: the game was over after one, Walker's tremendous individual effort notwithstanding. His was the only line that consistently looked like it had a clue all night long; Bayda and Aucoin continue to amaze.

Both teams knew what they had to do, but just one came out and did it.

Now our backs are against the wall, and we have to do the same.

Just a stinker of a game. I was glad to see Lavi finally erupt over bad officiating, although that did not cost us the game. The Capitals defense played very well and did not give us much room to operate. Huet's play was an extension of the game he played here in Raleigh last week: solid. In the end we just got outworked and lost out to the better team tonight.

I really hope they were just saving up energy for the last two games, because I saw next to nothing from the guys tonight. I'm glad that wasn't the last game of the season, because if it were and we still made the playoffs, I would be ashamed. Best to just move on and try and win the next two in the friendly confines of the RBC Center. Caps have a great chance to win their last two, so let's make sure to do the same.