The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Post Game Analysis vs. Washington 4/1

So, the season comes down to two games and whether the Hurricanes can beat two of the worst teams in the NHL at home when the Division and Playoffs are on the line. Put tonight aside and come out angry and fierce tomorrow and Friday.

I will say this, if we can't beat the two worst teams in the league how can we possibly get out of the first round of the playoffs. Playoffs started today and we played like the 06 first round. Time to step up and win out. Caps certainly will.

the words of Huet on the fan interview after the game "What can I say? You guys are awesome, we're going all the way!"

why don't any of our leaders ever assure us we're going to win? :huh:

Think Kolzig needs to let Huet know what it is usually like in DC. :lol:

Not much to really say about this game, mostly because I'd like nothing more than to forget it ever happened.

The bad, in no particular order:

-Questionable officiating.

-Soft goals by Ward.

-Horrendous passing by the Canes.

-Tons of missed opportunities to knock the puck in the net.

The good:

-The Rat Pack line.

-The D - sure, a few minor mistakes, but overall they played well. Much better than we saw earlier in the year, at least.

-The final buzzer. (can't think of anything else...)

Pissing and moaning about the officiating is not the answer. I've been watching hockey at all levels for 40 years, and what happened tonight is OFTEN what happens when one team comes out and quickly establishes a physical presence and the other team doesn't even ATTEMPT to respond until it's way too late: wrong though it may be, the refs see it as retaliation.

These suggestions of a vast conspiracy to get the Caps in are a lot of malarkey. It was clear from the opening faceoff that the refs were going to let these teams play and we failed to bring it. Washington finished every hit in the first period, and cleanly. Gleason was the only guy on our roster doing the same and it showed on the scoreboard at the end of that period.

We can cry in our beers all we want about how this and that call was unfair in the second and third periods, but the bottom line is this: the game was over after one, Walker's tremendous individual effort notwithstanding. His was the only line that consistently looked like it had a clue all night long; Bayda and Aucoin continue to amaze.

Both teams knew what they had to do, but just one came out and did it.

Now our backs are against the wall, and we have to do the same.

You really thought we were that bad on the physical side? I actually thought we were finishing checks pretty well for most of the game.

I was worried about bringing Ray and Justin back too early, and they definitely didn't look physically ready. Ray took a couple of bad penalties.

Officiating aside, we didn't deserve to win this game. We came out lifeless, and it cost us in the end. Once again, this is the same team that's shown up for the past 4 or 5 games. I don't know what happen to the team that played Ottawa, but they've disappeared.

Some positives out of tonight:

- Gleason was sound defensively throughout the game. He was also one of the few who would play the body on Ovechkin and get the puck away from him.

- LaRose, I thought, had a lot of energy. He was really skating his tail off. He can't do much on his own, which is why nothing came of it tonight, but the effort was there.

Other comments:

- Ward looked shakey early. Huge rebound led to the first, and over-reading the play led to the second. Still, when you're peppered with as many shots as we let up, you can't blame him.

- Staal had some chances. Wish he'd deke once in a while though. He was one-on-one with a defender, and elected to go for a slapshot. It's just something that irks me about him.

My goats:

- Samsonov. Could we please get him off the line with Staal and Cole? He's obviously lost out there with them. His game revolves around puck possession, and since Staal usually loses the faceoff, that line doesn't have puck possession often.

- Whitney. He took his place in the penalty box, as usual. Even without the questionable officiating, Whitney's had a problem with penalties. And the hook he took right before getting on the bench was just stupid. Completely unnecessary.

Props to you Jonathan for being skeptical before the game...I believe that I belittled you for it but it turned out that I was the one in need of chastising. Like you, I'm not really sure what has happened to the team after the Ottawa game...it's really odd to me how the team could just cool off for no real reason...and at the worst time possible...but you were right when you said that it all started a few weeks ago in Atlanta...and tonight looked like the culmination of it all. We had certain things going for us...but yet it all blew up in our face because of our lack of effort in the first period...Washington played just how I thought we would play...yet all the talk about us being hyped up and everything turned out to be total BS...and that's the real kicker for me...most important game of the season and yet the team didn't answer the call...which like I said is very surprising (at least to me) because of how far this team has come of late...blah it all blows up anyways. JWill didn't do much...and then got injured...and Ray Whitney looked ok but then tailed off...another surprise to me that the team didn't respond with these two returns and that both players couldn't add the expected veteran experience/great play that I thought they would...lol really I considered them to be the edge we needed to win the game...another mistake in thought...our team hadn't even been that good of late...so I thought these two would really add to our lineup and get us out of the funk...wrong again though. Maybe we shoulda stuck with our original lineup...the one that gave us a great March. We do need Conboy and/or Brookbank up here...they apparently give us something that no one else can provide...something that may be more important now rather than Williams and Whitney's skill/experience. Doesn't make sense though.

Refs were awful tonight...enough has been said about that though. I lost some respect for Ovie as well...a little too rough for my tastes...seems to show a lack of gamesmanship.

Anyways we really got outplayed though tonite...and now we are in that situation we didn't want to be in...have to win out against two teams that can play good spoilers...lol surprise surprise the 'Canes makes us wait until the last minute to really get a good grip on their desire to make the playoffs...we've been through it all this season...and yet here we are faced with another difficult situation with certain things going against us...how will we fare??? It's fitting that this is how our season ends...another tough task where we really don't know what to expect from the team or how things will turn out...their destiny is in their hands though...and I'm not ready to count them out just yet.

TSA, I bow down to you and ask that you give faith to those who have lost their way on this long and difficult journey. I implore you to remind them of the powers of the "Canes

It's Cole you want off the line. Put Ruutu out there to do the digging. I'd even put Whitney with Staal and Sammy.

Sammy has odvious trouble agaisnt the other teams top checkers?

He is not a first line player and hasn't been since the Boston days!

Pissing and moaning about the officiating is not the answer. I've been watching hockey at all levels for 40 years, and what happened tonight is OFTEN what happens when one team comes out and quickly establishes a physical presence and the other team doesn't even ATTEMPT to respond until it's way too late: wrong though it may be, the refs see it as retaliation.

These suggestions of a vast conspiracy to get the Caps in are a lot of malarkey. It was clear from the opening faceoff that the refs were going to let these teams play and we failed to bring it. Washington finished every hit in the first period, and cleanly. Gleason was the only guy on our roster doing the same and it showed on the scoreboard at the end of that period.

We can cry in our beers all we want about how this and that call was unfair in the second and third periods, but the bottom line is this: the game was over after one, Walker's tremendous individual effort notwithstanding. His was the only line that consistently looked like it had a clue all night long; Bayda and Aucoin continue to amaze.

Go to the archives and find a game in the last two month's where any team had four less penalty's then the Canes. The Canes are the team who has been awarded the most pp in the league and all of a sudden in the last week we are always in the box, seems really out of character for this team!

Have they really turned a 180 right into the penalty box!

I won't lie, I thought Washington was the better team tonight, but you have got to be sniffing some glue if you don't think that this game was not influenced by the refs, and that is NOT how a game should be decided.

Well said I caught the last period while I was in a luxury box at the ScotiaBank centre whatching the habs deflate the sens and I could not agree more!

I am sure all of the fans on these boards whatch 90% of Canes hockey and we are used to because our style of play lots of odd man situations, Well since the Canes started to seriously battle for the SE crown with WSH it seems that we have ourselves a totally different team. How could the Canes performance go from really good hockey to penalty filled parades to the box in a short two week span!

No excuses we played terrible but I think Lavi's action speak for themselves, isn't it rare for him to explode like that?

I think he had good reason, I try to never blame the refs but I guess I am what I hate!

I don't know if I'd put Whitney up on the 1st line yet. Maybe swap Cole and Ruutu to add a different dimension to Staal / Samsonov.

He still hasn't gotten up to NHL game speed, plus he's breaking in new skates.

"I think that almost all of their penalties were very good calls by the refs. "

This was a quote, from the message board, for the March 1 Tampa Bay game when the Canes' had two penalties to the Lightning's seven. Is that good officiating? When the Canes get the majority of the calls? Of course the calls were good, the Canes' won in a cake-walk. We see a reversal of fortune in DC and the ref's are to blame? There were some good calls by the refs last night as well as some bad, as they are every game. The Hurricanes did negate two PP's, or 4-on-4's, by doing something foolish after a Caps' penalty.

Have the Hurricanes never benefitted from inconsistent officiating? Move on.

(Whitney and Williams should have rested one more game-chemistry issues during the game. )

Not one of Corvo's finer games either. He muffed the puck behind his own goal and then kicked it to a Cap who fed it in front for a Cap's goal. Corvo should have gotten an honoary assist. He made several other bad giveaways. He did one in the Ottawa game that didn't cost the Canes anything more than a shutout. And the Staal line last night was a no-show. And the one soft goal for Ward put the Canes in yet another hole. He can play like a Vezina winner all night but if he lets in one sloppy goal and it turns out to be the game winner... The Canes themselves have run into hot goaltending two games in a row. They need to get "hot".

The Canes were flat and listless coming out compared to the Caps. They'd probably have lost anyway even without the biased officiating. Staal needs to step it up yet another notch (I really thought he'd be a 40-goal scorer this year), Cole needs to hit the twine more and the metal (and glass) less. Defensemen were caught playing the invisible man on several goals against thus leaving a key attacker wide open in front of the net (Gleason on one goal and Wesley on another). Cam needs to work on rebound control. The Canes need to hit more. I agree I'd rather see Brookbank and Conboy playing their A games than Whitney and Williams skate a few tentative shifts and then head to the locker room with occluded injury reports.

I was so sure after the first very sloppy Caps goal that Lav would call a timeout and remind his guys how important it was to play hard - like a playoff game. Scream at them a little. But he let it slide. Then another goal against and still no timeout. One thing is certain: the mistakes get magnified this time of year and into the playoffs (heck we are in the playoffs already - the play-ins!). The team who makes the fewest mistakes and gets the best goaltending is going to win games. Last night was a gut check. Somebody (Wesley? Staal?, Lavi?) should have stood in front of the group after the game and asked how many guys in the locker room want to make the playoffs? or something like that. I really hope they didn't just get dressed in a quiet locker room and head home! They can't play like that again. They have to feel as though they are down three games to two in the preliminary series of the playoff and absolutely must win both remaining games. Tampa Bay has to be made to pay the price for being in the Canes way (after losing to them with 40-something shots on goal). And Florida***** with all the diving accustation nonsense! Play with a little anger guys!

First off I don't like inserting Williams and Whitney in this game which was the biggest game of the year after both players have been missing so long with injuries. Plus the team has played with more life when the "tougher" players have been in the line-up.

Second, Erik Cole has shown signs of brilliance in the past but I am going to refer to him as passenger 26 since that is what he has been lately, a passenger. Scott Walker busted his butt out there the whole game and had a boat load of chances. However, Walker has never been a top-line scoring talent so you can't expect him to finish on all his chances, that is not his game to be the one carrying a team offensivly. But if some of the more offensivly talented players followed his example tonight the team may have been able to light the lamp more often.

Now on to the officiating. I thought the goaltender interferance calls and non-calls all should have been no calls. Walker and Huet maid incidental contact outside the crease. Tripp was flipping out about Federov when Federov didn't even touch Ward, and the Bayda call was a joke. The Letowski high stick was definitly a penalty but should have only been two mins. Ovechkin should have went to the box alone after the two on one with Walker and Staal. The rest of the players on the ice were just involved in a typical scrum, and I have no clue how Wallin warrented a penalty. Now the way Tripp was flipping out about Ovechkin leaving his feet was a riot. I have seen Ovechkin leave his feet pleanty of times but in this instance if he left his feet at all it was minimal and may have resulted due to the contact. But the penalty on Hedican was the biggest joke of the entire game. Let the players play. The bench minor in the third period came at the absolute worst time. The Canes were about the get a power play and Washington took another minor just moments later. This could have resulted in a 5 on 3 with a golden opprotunity to make it a one goal game. That is if the officials didn't make another phantom call.

Say what you want about the officials but there is no excuse for coming out so flat in the biggest game of the season. The first period set the tone for the game.

I'm gonna keep my post very short and to the point.

The refs were horrid last night. The league really needs to start calling Ovechkin for leaving his feet on hits. The Goaltender interference on Bayda made me laugh and the scrum where Oveckhin pushed Staal was just ridiculous.

However, even if in a well officiated game, WE STILL LOOSE THAT GAME. We didn't have it last night and I honestly think that at best we lose that game 3 - 2 without all the bogus calls. Blaming it on the refs is just giving this team an excuse for how poorly they played.

Use the anger and frustration we have today tonight and lets sell out and rock the RBC Center tonight.

Valuable lesson learned tonight:

Don't deviate from what brought us success! We need Brookbank and Conboy in the lineup in order to win. Hopefully Laviolette will correct this mistake and have them in the lineup tonight.

Props to Walker, Aucoin and Bayda. They showed some true grit. They were the only line who could get anything done. Cole, Corvo, Staal, Whitney were all spectators. We need these guys to produce. Hopefully we can get this out of our system and step up tonight and Friday. A good team overcomes bad officiating. Unfortunately for us, Gary Bettman really wants the Caps in the playoffs so all the strings were pulled last night to ensure that.

Unfortunately for us, Gary Bettman really wants the Caps in the playoffs so all the strings were pulled last night to ensure that.

Why did you ruin a great post with that? Statements like that are just ridiculous. There is no conspiracy. Stop making excuses for this teams loss.

While it is true that many fans around the globe and NHL marketing sector would love to see Ovechkin in the playoffs, you can't despute the fact that being lifeless for the first 20 mins wasn't the biggest factor in losing this game. Officals are always wishy-washy.

Not one of Corvo's finer games either. He muffed the puck behind his own goal and then kicked it to a Cap who fed it in front for a Cap's goal. Corvo should have gotten an honoary assist. He made several other bad giveaways. He did one in the Ottawa game that didn't cost the Canes anything more than a shutout. ".

Yeah, I think he is starting to show his true self. I guess the good play at first was just out of exitement from the trade.

Refs was horrible and bias(imo), but Caps would have won without their help. Caps were on play-off mode and we were not, simple as that. Now, let the Pens - Caps serie come!!! :D for Bettman

Why did you ruin a great post with that? Statements like that are just ridiculous. There is no conspiracy. Stop making excuses for this teams loss.

I doubt that there's a blatant conspiracy, and the Canes were outplayed and deserved to lose, but Brad Watson has shown that he is corruptable by the two diving calls in Florida on the heals of "divinggate" in the papers. Why would the league assign him to this game? Just wondering.

This is a super post. I am incensed that our guys came out so wimpy and unispired. Makes me feel like not spending any money on their crappy lifeless tomfoolery. I was PO'ed last night and still am today. At least get beat, but don't not even try. I hate giving them money when they don't even try. Almost like, screw you fans, playoffs, shmayoffs, we want to play some golf.