The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Post Game Analysis vs. Washington 4/1

Intensity and purpose were no-shows last night and that's why it was an L. Walker and Ward kept the Canes in it while others failed to put it into a higher gear. For about the 4th game in a row, Samsonov tried his no-look soft clears while playing indifferently for most of the game and Corvo was terrible, again, with the puck. Not to single those two out alone but while everyone else was poor they were especially bad.

As far as the officiating, it was bad but so what? If people truly think there was a conspiracy theory, I say two things. One, then why would a favored team be battling for the playoffs this late in year vs. already in and two, don't watch if you think it is the WWE on ice. The Caps got bad calls against Boston that helped turn a sure two points into a regulation loss so how does that support a conspiracy? Maybe the NHL is really trying to get Aaron Ward's name on the Cup again. ;)

First off I don't like inserting Williams and Whitney in this game which was the biggest game of the year after both players have been missing so long with injuries. Plus the team has played with more life when the "tougher" players have been in the line-up.

Second, Erik Cole has shown signs of brilliance in the past but I am going to refer to him as passenger 26 since that is what he has been lately, a passenger. Scott Walker busted his butt out there the whole game and had a boat load of chances. However, Walker has never been a top-line scoring talent so you can't expect him to finish on all his chances, that is not his game to be the one carrying a team offensivly. But if some of the more offensivly talented players followed his example tonight the team may have been able to light the lamp more often.

Now on to the officiating. I thought the goaltender interferance calls and non-calls all should have been no calls. Walker and Huet maid incidental contact outside the crease. Tripp was flipping out about Federov when Federov didn't even touch Ward, and the Bayda call was a joke. The Letowski high stick was definitly a penalty but should have only been two mins. Ovechkin should have went to the box alone after the two on one with Walker and Staal. The rest of the players on the ice were just involved in a typical scrum, and I have no clue how Wallin warrented a penalty. Now the way Tripp was flipping out about Ovechkin leaving his feet was a riot. I have seen Ovechkin leave his feet pleanty of times but in this instance if he left his feet at all it was minimal and may have resulted due to the contact. But the penalty on Hedican was the biggest joke of the entire game. Let the players play. The bench minor in the third period came at the absolute worst time. The Canes were about the get a power play and Washington took another minor just moments later. This could have resulted in a 5 on 3 with a golden opprotunity to make it a one goal game. That is if the officials didn't make another phantom call.

Say what you want about the officials but there is no excuse for coming out so flat in the biggest game of the season. The first period set the tone for the game.

Well when do you insert them??In the playoffs when the games are even bigger...

Maybe we shoulda stuck with our original lineup...the one that gave us a great March.

DUH.

beyond me why lavi picked last night to work them back in. i appreciate jwill and whitney as much as the next guy.......but why mess with whats been working? team chemistry goes a long way, as we unfortunately found out. i don't fault anyone on the ice last night for anything (excepting the refs for those questionable calls) as they were basically fielding a new team against one that is peaking at the right time.

fingers crossed for tonight. :mellow:

DUH.

beyond me why lavi picked last night to work them back in. i appreciate jwill and whitney as much as the next guy.......but why mess with whats been working? team chemistry goes a long way, as we unfortunately found out. i don't fault anyone on the ice last night for anything (excepting the refs for those questionable calls) as they were basically fielding a new team against one that is peaking at the right time.

fingers crossed for tonight. :mellow:

Because last night was the 4th of 5 bad games in terms of overall effort and it looked like Lavi was looking for a spark. And just like game 6 of the Finals two years ago it backfired and he got a sub-par effort from the team. The canes haven't really brought the full effort required to win with that line up for over a week excluding the Atlanta game.

Samsonov has gone from career resurrection to invisible again. Cole hasn't been scoring... the list of problems that have popped up is long.

As for the game: to echo stormrider the effort just wasn't there. And the canes aren't going to win a game against a hungrier team when they come out slow. Sure the refs didn't help and made some dubious calls but if they decided the game its because the canes let them.

The only chemistry that was altered was on the 4th line. With the way Washington swarmed from the beginning Conboy and Brookbank would have added little. Sure the Caps may have taken some liberties but the game was decided by level of completion and intensity.

With only 1 line looking decent, Aucoin's, you don't have a chance against a skilled team like Washington. They upgraded in goal and have two very potent lines. Bayda, Aucoin and Walker, as good as they have been, just can't offset the likes of Ovechkin, Semin, Fedorov and Backstrom playing at a very hight level.

Until Williams was hurt the 4th line that also included Whitney and Hamilton looked pretty good matched up against Washington's 4th line. That was the advantage that was sought along with their contributions on what has been an inconsistent PP. It didn't work out but the Canes got outplayed in every facet so it really didn't matter.

Walker's "interference" call when we had our 5 on 3 was the turning point in the game. We still had 40 seconds to go and possession of the puck... Absolutely horrible call at a very critical juncture of the game. We never recovered from that, IMO.

We were sort of flat, but give Washington some credit, they played very well. Whitney needs to move back with Staal and Cole. Samsonov needs to play with Letowski and Ruutu. Move LaRose to the 4th line with Hamilton and Conboy.

No time to cry about it. We play in 9 hours...

I don't want to point the finger at any one player, but Hamilton was brutal in the defensive zone last night. This is why he was only being used on the power play. The Capitals just had way too much possession, and when the Hurricanes are forced to play defense for any length of time, they start running around and getting out of position.

The officiating was horrible, yes, but the Hurricanes failed to capitalize (a pun!) on their power play opportunities.

I loved Bret Hedican's comments on Ovechkin. "Back in my day, we didn't let these whippersnappers run around like that! Get off my lawn, Ovechkin!" :lol:

Can the Capitals-Hurricanes rivalry in the Southeast Division ever approach the intensity of the old Patrick Division?

The best rivalries in any sport are playoff-driven, and a hot playoff-berth race like the current one can certainly add the intensity. The Hurricanes are of course the Southeast team nearest DC - the other three teams are simply too far away physically - and you do turn up a moderate support at Verizon Centre, maybe 100-200 supporters (who last night tended to melt into the crowd since most of the Canes supporters who wore colours last night wore red).

It's certainly a far cry from the first Carolina season in 1997-98 - I watched a Canes-Caps match in Greensboro that season and there were maybe 6,000 in the house - but can it really approach the levels of Caps-Flyers and the like? The coming years could prove interesting...and the much-maligned 'Southleast' could definitely use some rivalries.

I've seen Hamilton get bashed several times in this thread, and perhaps deservedly so. But he was the ONLY guy wearing white last night that sent one of theirs to the dressing room for the remainder of the game. Hammer's been laying the body out since he was recalled, and it would be nice if others would follow suit on a consistent basis, rather than being pushed around like we were last night.

I doubt that there's a blatant conspiracy, and the Canes were outplayed and deserved to lose, but Brad Watson has shown that he is corruptable by the two diving calls in Florida on the heals of "divinggate" in the papers. Why would the league assign him to this game? Just wondering.

url="http

There's no conspiracy, just an incompetent ref. Remember the Blown Goal Call in Stanley Cup Finals Game 7?

Pissing and moaning about the officiating is not the answer. I've been watching hockey at all levels for 40 years, and what happened tonight is OFTEN what happens when one team comes out and quickly establishes a physical presence and the other team doesn't even ATTEMPT to respond until it's way too late: wrong though it may be, the refs see it as retaliation.

These suggestions of a vast conspiracy to get the Caps in are a lot of malarkey. It was clear from the opening faceoff that the refs were going to let these teams play and we failed to bring it. Washington finished every hit in the first period, and cleanly. Gleason was the only guy on our roster doing the same and it showed on the scoreboard at the end of that period.

We can cry in our beers all we want about how this and that call was unfair in the second and third periods, but the bottom line is this: the game was over after one, Walker's tremendous individual effort notwithstanding. His was the only line that consistently looked like it had a clue all night long; Bayda and Aucoin continue to amaze.

Both teams knew what they had to do, but just one came out and did it.

Now our backs are against the wall, and we have to do the same.

Well said! It's funny how we complain about other fans and their moaning about the officials and conspiracy theories, and now it shows up on our boards. A little hypocrisy maybe? :unsure:

Well said! It's funny how we complain about other fans and their moaning about the officials and conspiracy theories, and now it shows up on our boards. A little hypocrisy maybe? :unsure:

It's the nature of fandom. If the calls go your way, it's because the team overcame the bad calls. If the calls don't go your way, it's because the refs screwed you over. Every fanbase does, not just the Canes.

But more to the point, what's that go to do with analysis of the game?

I don't believe in any conspiracy theories about the officiating. I just hate a certain official because of a long trend of bad calls that come against the Canes when he is on the ice. Not just because of last night. Not because of the Florida game on Halloween. But every time I see him reffing when the Canes are playing.

Still, no matter how the calls go, the Canes just need to be the better team. For a full 60 minutes, too, not just part of the time. They weren't last night and didn't deserve the win, as much as we wanted it.

I don't want to point the finger at any one player, but Hamilton was brutal in the defensive zone last night.

The elephant in the room is this: E. Staal did not show up. He's either our leader now or he isn't, and that's not a decision he can make on a game-by-game basis. I know he's still a kid, but you know what? So is Ovechkin, so is Ward, so is Crosby... and the list goes on. Captain Tripps is really vocal(over the top, if you ask me) about Eric's contributions immediately after he scores or sets someone up nicely ("Hoooowwwww about the contribution of Eric Staal since the All Star break???"), but the silence when he shrinks into the dasherboards like he did last night is deafening.

One would have thought there'd be something in Eric that would want to challenge Ovechkin, to live up to the MVP status he earned in the All-Star game. If ever there was a moment for that Eric to show up it was last night. He was not in the building, and he needs to get called on it.

Win the game last night and you have two games to tweak your roster anyway you want.

Well now they have got 1 together so we should be fine..Dont forget these guys have been playing hockey since they were born,I dont think they need time to adjust...

Did you see the sheepish look on Staal's face after the O "after the Whistle" hit? :huh:

Bad game all around. Show up and play the playoff level game you needed too. :angry:

I do not care about the officiating... Bad as it was you got to play thru... Game misconduct from the bench... Come on guys?

I am sure there was some good Canes hockey in there some where I just can not seem to remember it in my old age...

Better not drop one tonight on my birthday!

Lets Go Canes!

Did you see the sheepish look on Staal's face after the O "after the Whistle" hit? :huh:

Exactly. A franchise player with a Stanley Cup ring needs to come up swinging after that kind of cheapness whether his coach condones it or not. And frankly I don't think Lavi would have had any problem with it.

And don't even get me started on Corvo. It's like, "O.K., got the hattie against my old team, where's the first tee?"

BTW, Happy Birthday, Irish Guy.

url="http

There's no conspiracy, just an incompetent ref. Remember the Blown Goal Call in Stanley Cup Finals Game 7?

canesWin,

I respectfully disagree. I firmly beleave that Brad Watson threw the game and that he was instructed to do so from the NHL commissioner, Gary Bettman, or at least from one of Bettman's inforcers. Please look at the replays of the game. If Alex Ovechkin had been wielding a straightrazor Watson wouldn't have called a penalty on him. Ovechkin is one of the best players the NHL has ever seen and that is exactly why the refs did not call any penalties on him. Bettman and the NHL powers want Washington in the playoffs, period, so they can showcase Ovechkin. It's called economics folks. With a headliner like Ovechkin in the playoffs the viewer numbers will be up, ratings will be up, revenues will be up, the NHL makes more money, and so-on-so-on-so-forth.

Washington has a great team...a tremendously improved team since last Fall. They deserve recognition because of that. However, the NHL's efforts to enhance Washington's position in the standings in order to prop up their own ratings in TV Land casts a shadow on the entire League.

Keep an eye on Brad Watson's calls tonight...there will be controversial calls made, again, against Carolina. Bettman and others in the NHL would rather see the coming of the AntiChrist than see Washington not make the playoffs and if the Canes happen to get in their way, well, tough luck fellow fans.

We, the Canes, have been, and will continue to be, the red-headed-stepchild of the NHL. I saw it in Bettman's eyes and felt it when I shook his pasty little hand when I met him at a reception for season ticket holders at the arena some years ago.

As always, these are JMHO. Later,

Puckd'addy

Just got to say I thought there was some great coaching and decisions made by Lavi. It was the smartest move i have seen by him to bring whitney and williams back even though williams got hurt again after the first period. Also the officating was some of the best I have seen and i am very excited we get them back again tonight.

Exactly. A franchise player with a Stanley Cup ring needs to come up swinging after that kind of cheapness whether his coach condones it or not. And frankly I don't think Lavi would have had any problem with it.

And don't even get me started on Corvo. It's like, "O.K., got the hattie against my old team, where's the first tee?"

BTW, Happy Birthday, Irish Guy.

I couldn't agree more staal can not let AO get away with that. There was only one person that could put AO in his place last night and that would be staal. Because if anybody else on the canes touched AO everybody would jump in but superstars can put each other in check.

Staal plays poorly against the Caps for some reason. Cole was *supposed* to play better than he did against them. I think neither Eri/c/k showed up for the game.

The elephant in the room is this: E. Staal did not show up. He's either our leader now or he isn't, and that's not a decision he can make on a game-by-game basis. I know he's still a kid, but you know what? So is Ovechkin, so is Ward, so is Crosby... and the list goes on. Captain Tripps is really vocal(over the top, if you ask me) about Eric's contributions immediately after he scores or sets someone up nicely ("Hoooowwwww about the contribution of Eric Staal since the All Star break???"), but the silence when he shrinks into the dasherboards like he did last night is deafening.

One would have thought there'd be something in Eric that would want to challenge Ovechkin, to live up to the MVP status he earned in the All-Star game. If ever there was a moment for that Eric to show up it was last night. He was not in the building, and he needs to get called on it.

I couldn't agree more staal can not let AO get away with that. There was only one person that could put AO in his place last night and that would be staal. Because if anybody else on the canes touched AO everybody would jump in but superstars can put each other in check.

He was cross-checked from the front, which means he saw it coming and tried to sell it to draw a penalty. It was a smart play although the officials decided only to tag Wallin on the ensuing scrum. Had it been a cross-check from behind, it would have been a different story.