The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hopper915

Post Game Analysis vs. Washington 4/1

He was cross-checked from the front, which means he saw it coming and tried to sell it to draw a penalty. It was a smart play although the officials decided only to tag Wallin on the ensuing scrum. Had it been a cross-check from behind, it would have been a different story.

My point exactly. When the refs didn't buy in, Staal needed to stand up for himself and send a message to AO. It wold also have been a message to his own team. That's what leaders do, and Eric let yet another opportunity to do it go by.

My point exactly. When the refs didn't buy in, Staal needed to stand up for himself and send a message to AO. It wold also have been a message to his own team. That's what leaders do, and Eric let yet another opportunity to do it go by.

But at that point he's sitting on his butt since he tried to sell the cross check with a bunch of players standing around him. You couldn't expect him to do something about it then and there because there was nothing he could do. Yes he could have tried to lay out AO on the next shift but then and there he couldn't do squat.

But at that point he's sitting on his butt since he tried to sell the cross check with a bunch of players standing around him. You couldn't expect him to do something about it then and there because there was nothing he could do. Yes he could have tried to lay out AO on the next shift but then and there he couldn't do squat.

Sure he could. He stands up and gives AO a face wash. If you watch the replay he had plenty of time, and all he could muster, as Irish Ice noted earlier, was a sheepish look whilst sitting on his keester. Can we please stop making excuses for Eric Staal?

Alot of people are jumping on Staal,but he has stepped up his game for quite sometime now,,he can't carry the team every nite,,sometimes others have to step up as well!!!Didn't see much of that last nite!!!Cam sure as heck didn't either!!

Just got to say I thought there was some great coaching and decisions made by Lavi. It was the smartest move i have seen by him to bring whitney and williams back even though williams got hurt again after the first period. Also the officating was some of the best I have seen and i am very excited we get them back again tonight.

I have to respectfully disagree on the wisdom of putting Williams in the line up. This was the biggest regular season game of the year and they should have, in my opinion, stayed as close as possible to the line up they've been playing with over the last 10 game run. I said this even before he got hurt. The fact that he got injured just validates the point.

I have to respectfully disagree on the wisdom of putting Williams in the line up. This was the biggest regular season game of the year and they should have, in my opinion, stayed as close as possible to the line up they've been playing with over the last 10 game run. I said this even before he got hurt. The fact that he got injured just validates the point.

Missed the sarcasm, did you? ;)

Huh? They did buy it and Ovechkin got a roughing call. The issue is that by only then giving Wallin a penalty out of the scrum, the Caps stayed on the PP. Staal got what he was looking for, which was to negate the man advantage.

Huh? They did buy it and Ovechkin got a roughing call. The issue is that by only then giving Wallin a penalty out of the scrum, the Caps stayed on the PP. Staal got what he was looking for, which was to negate the man advantage.

The reason the man advantage was negated on the canes side is the fact that AO cross checked him. The refs would have never put AO in the box by himself. As for staal he needs to stop shying away from taking on other teams superstars its almost as if he feels he's not worthy and just watches in amazement.

The all star game has nothing to do with it.

The reason the man advantage was negated on the canes side is the fact that AO cross checked him. The refs would have never put AO in the box by himself. As for staal he needs to stop shying away from taking on other teams superstars its almost as if he feels he's not worthy and just watches in amazement.

The all star game has nothing to do with it.

The Caps were already on the PP, which means that is not the time to fight regardless of who is involved. If there hadn't been a dust-up afterwards AO was headed to the box, by himself as the penalty had already been called.

You are misconstruing both the look he gave, a sheepish grin b/c he knew he embellished and also had it coming after trying to knock the puck out of Huet's glove, and the role not the mention the circumstance. A leader doesn't always have to fight, Brindy for example, but he should be smart in certain circumstances which he was.

It's very rare you see a superstar vs. superstar fight.

Alot of people are jumping on Staal,but he has stepped up his game for quite sometime now,,he can't carry the team every nite,,sometimes others have to step up as well!!!Didn't see much of that last nite!!!Cam sure as heck didn't either!!

when, oh when, will we stop treating staal like a fragile 10 year old. honestly, the way he reacted after AO's hit on him last night...i half expected his mom to come out of the stands and help him to his feet. sorry, thats pretty harsh and probably immature of me......but i am soooooo weary of everyone who touts that eric staal has "carried the weight of the team on his shoulders" and how he has stepped up since brindy went down. staal is no more ready to be the "leader" of our team than i am. that honor goes to the person who best exemplifies our team's strengths on and off the ice. eric has had some great games (once he awakened from the all-star coma), but so has almost everyone else...at some point or another.

as many of the posters have said, a true leader on the ice shows up every night and so far i haven't seen that happen. granted he isn't the only one but please.......can we cease putting him on that pedestal? i am sure that from his perspective, it only adds to the pressure that he already feels being designated the "franchise player". let's just hope that he bulks up and toughens up in the off-season and comes back next year ready to command the ice like we know he can!

and cam? 35 of 39. without much help in front. he wasn't exactly napping back there. ;)

here's to hoping they bring it hard tonight. i'll be screaming at the tv from the unexciting comfort of my sofa. (well, the edge of it at least.)

cheers............

The Caps were already on the PP, which means that is not the time to fight regardless of who is involved. If there hadn't been a dust-up afterwards AO was headed to the box, by himself as the penalty had already been called.

You are misconstruing both the look he gave, a sheepish grin b/c he knew he embellished and also had it coming after trying to knock the puck out of Huet's glove, and the role not the mention the circumstance. A leader doesn't always have to fight, Brindy for example, but he should be smart in certain circumstances which he was.

I'm not talking about fighting i talking about checking, facewash, talk about his mom. You have to let him know your not going to let him get away with dirty stuff and that you are on the same level as him.

I'm not talking about fighting i talking about checking, facewash, talk about his mom. You have to let him know your not going to let him get away with dirty stuff and that you are on the same level as him.

Yes, under normal circumstances that is reasonable. But you don't risk negating a Caps PP at that point. You suck it up and look to even the score later. You are completely ignoring the context.

Had the skirmish not resulted, everyone would have talked about Staal's poise and maturity for not retaliating and helping getting the Canes back to even strength.

Yes, under normal circumstances that is reasonable. But you don't risk negating a Caps PP at that point. You suck it up and look to even the score later. You are completely ignoring the context.

Had the skirmish not resulted, everyone would have talked about Staal's poise and maturity for not retaliating and helping getting the Canes back to even strength.

Honestly, the way the calls were going last night if Staal had retaliated he probably would have gotten a roughing and AO nothing at all.

He sold the penalty instead, so AO had to take a seat for 2. Unfortunately, the refs called the extra roughing on Wallin to even it out. I would have liked to have seen a replay of that to see if Wallin did anything extra to deserve that, and why only he got one and not an extra Caps player, too, as typical under those circumstances.

Unfortunately, the refs called the extra roughing on Wallin to even it out. I would have liked to have seen a replay of that to see if Wallin did anything extra to deserve that, and why only he got one and not an extra Caps player, too, as typical under those circumstances.

You and stormrider both make my point -- instead of Wallin standing up for Staal, this was a perfect case for Eric doing that for himself. His wuss-out may have been the "smart" thing to do in the moment, but in the long run he and AO need to settle the score. Why not do it early in the biggest game of the year?

stormrider, due respect, but the frequency of superstar confrontations isn't an issue. Rare though they may be, they have their time and their place, and I simply can't fathom a better time than the most important game of the year or a better place than the home ice of the team you're trying to beat for the division championship. If Eric isn't willing to stand up to AO under those circumstances, it's not unreasonable to wonder if he ever will.

What if they had fought and Staal broke his hand or wrist from punching? Out 4-6 weeks.

Or what if Ovechkin had? There's a larger point here that has to do with being willing to lead. Do you think Brindy -- or Cullen, or Cole, or Samsonov -- would have just sat there? No way.

You and stormrider both make my point -- instead of Wallin standing up for Staal, this was a perfect case for Eric doing that for himself. His wuss-out may have been the "smart" thing to do in the moment, but in the long run he and AO need to settle the score. Why not do it early in the biggest game of the year?

stormrider, due respect, but the frequency of superstar confrontations isn't an issue. Rare though they may be, they have their time and their place, and I simply can't fathom a better time than the most important game of the year or a better place than the home ice of the team you're trying to beat for the division championship. If Eric isn't willing to stand up to AO under those circumstances, it's not unreasonable to wonder if he ever will.

All due respect in return, you seem to have a predetermined outlook that you are imposing on the situation and you are too quick to ignore the full circumstances. Aside from Hoyle's point about an injury, the circumstances didn't warrant it. Your criticism is warranted under other conditions but come on. A crosscheck from behind is one thing but Staal saw it coming and embellished his fall to ensure the penalty against Ovechkin. You're acting like he was blindly run. You do realize that Staal knew there would be response to his late harassment of Huet don't you? He provoked the reaction, he wasn't an innocent bystander.

Letowski, a primary killer is already in the box for a double minor. Staal took a swipe at the puck well after Huet had full control of it and clearly was looking to stir the pot. He got the reaction he was looking for and the fact it was AO was took the roughing penalty was all the better b/c it takes him out of the mix as their most dangerous PP threat. In most instances Wallin and another Cap would have gotten coincidental minors and it becomes a heady play by Staal.

Yet you would rather, for the sake of sending a message, that Staal take himself to the box as well knowing that the only available center killer, Letowski, is in the box? Sorry but you are arguing against all conventional wisdom. There is a time and place and that just wasn't it.

when, oh when, will we stop treating staal like a fragile 10 year old. honestly, the way he reacted after AO's hit on him last night...i half expected his mom to come out of the stands and help him to his feet. sorry, thats pretty harsh and probably immature of me......but i am soooooo weary of everyone who touts that eric staal has "carried the weight of the team on his shoulders" and how he has stepped up since brindy went down. staal is no more ready to be the "leader" of our team than i am. that honor goes to the person who best exemplifies our team's strengths on and off the ice. eric has had some great games (once he awakened from the all-star coma), but so has almost everyone else...at some point or another.

as many of the posters have said, a true leader on the ice shows up every night and so far i haven't seen that happen. granted he isn't the only one but please.......can we cease putting him on that pedestal? i am sure that from his perspective, it only adds to the pressure that he already feels being designated the "franchise player". let's just hope that he bulks up and toughens up in the off-season and comes back next year ready to command the ice like we know he can!

and cam? 35 of 39. without much help in front. he wasn't exactly napping back there. ;)

here's to hoping they bring it hard tonight. i'll be screaming at the tv from the unexciting comfort of my sofa. (well, the edge of it at least.)

cheers............

When you have a team that is plagued by injuries all season you have to play smart. IMO his reaction was smart but to some not admirable.

Staal has stepped his game up to a different level since brindy went down. Its not just a handful of people who believe this because his play has made headlines and highlights all over the country. His energy is fed to others on the team and vise versa. Like you said a lot of players have stepped up their game but not as consistent as Staal. His grace under pressure and work ethic is valuable and contagious to the team. Since brindy went down he has been a true leader on the ice and has shown up every night. I don't what team you have been watching. Do you think that anyone else could do a better job?

I'm still lost by your statement "Lets just hope that he bulks up and toughens up in the off-season and comes back next year ready to command the ice like we know he can." ????

Good player VS superstar fight. Staal is good but not on level of Ovechkin.

cheers............

Wow. Guess you haven't realized that if it wasn't for Staal this team wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot instead they would be shining their golf clubs and have mailed it in like Tampa.

Hedican gave Ovie a face wash and was called for roughing

Good player VS superstar fight. Staal is good but not on level of Ovechkin.

Nobody said Staal was on the same level as Ovechkin. But they are certainly both in the superstar category with Staal in probably the next tier down of superstars.

To label Staal merely as good is silly. AO has done incredible things in the regular season but to discount the fact that the Staal has taken an injury-riddled team on his back was the leading scorer in all the playoffs in the year the Canes won the Cup in his rankings is self-serving to your biased argument.

Or what if Ovechkin had? There's a larger point here that has to do with being willing to lead. Do you think Brindy -- or Cullen, or Cole, or Samsonov -- would have just sat there? No way.

Samsonov would have, unless he's changed since his Montreal days.

How many time have you see people get up, dust off and the go charging in head long into the fight. Happens all the tiem in the tame sport of baseball... Staal is a big boy not a little kid that a bully can intimidate... :angry:

Samsonov would have, unless he's changed since his Montreal days.

Samsonov has thrown punches to stick up for himself as well as teamates in several games here. Guess he's changed, or just happy cause last night he racked up yet another point since coming here.