The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Post-Game Analysis 4/4 vs. Florida

When a team puts 46 shots on goal as opposed to 17 that team should win. When a team has a 9-0 PP advantage that team should win. This was a team loss pure and simple, Yes, Anderson played great and he also played hurt. How many 5-3s did the Canes have and didn't put it into the back of the net. Great emotional win for the Kats. The Canes can hope beyond hope the Caps lose in regulation but it isn't going to happen.

Earlier this year the Canes pulled out a home game against the Panthers they had no business winning. This was the polar opposite.

This season was won/lost long ago, and not tonight. In a bizarre set of circumstances it summarized a 6 month journey. Unfortunately we've come full circle in many ways.

I'm still holding out hope, which is the state most of us have been in all season.

Well...that was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen/been a part of...here's my thoughts:

The Florida Panthers didn't beat us tonight, Vokoun and Andersen did. We outplayed the Panthers, outshot them, and got many PP opportunities to their none. With that said though, I still think that we were our own worst enemy tonight.

Cam Ward was awful...I still can't believe how in this BIGGEST game of the season he can't come up with some of those saves like he's done in weeks prior...honestly this loss could almost rest sorely on his shoulders...

The FOUR defensive lapses were awful...and not surprisingly Florida capitalized on every single chance they got/we gave them. Florida didn't have to worry about showing up offensively, because remarkably the old 'Canes team showed up tonight and gave Florida every chance they needed to win.

The first two FLA goals MAKE ME SICK...RIGHT IN FRONT OF CAM WARD is where Boumeester/Montador had their chance...and bam two wristers later the Panthers take the lead. HOW ON EARTH CAN THE TEAM LET TWO DEFENSIVEMEN WALK OUT WITH THE PUCK AND SHOOT FROM 10FT AWAY??? COME ON!!! I mean honestly the 'Canes AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME came out and made some of their same old mistakes...ya know the ones that had been put away for the last month or so. Third FLA goal was a breakaway, another classic 'Canes mistake...giving up breakways...and Horton had NO trouble wristing it right by Ward. Fourth FLA goal again was another classic 'Canes mistake...giving up a SHG. That one was all on Ward though...looked pathetic as Dvorak put it right past his blocker.

As much offensive pressure as we had tonight, let's be honest and admit that there weren't that many great chances...idk why but tonight I saw a 'Canes team that looked anxious with the puck...nervous you could say. Maybe the pressure got to them...but I mean all night long players missed passes, shot pucks wide, and just overall weren't in good position to finish good scoring chances. Yes Vokoun and Andersen were great, but IMHO the 'Canes really didn't have a good night in terms on puckhandling and shooting...the whole nervousness really looked to take effect on our PP chances...yea we scored twice but still we had TWO 5 on 3 opportunities that we did nothing with...if anything this lost was made by Cam Ward and our woeful PP (sounds like another classic 'Canes trademark).

I never imagined that we'd lose this game...so really the shock is still setting in...this Carolina team has done everything of late to convince me that we were gonna win the division and make a good playoff run...I mean the vets stepped up and the rookies filled in nicely...the effort was there...the trades worked...and then bam we suddenly revert back to some old mistakes...like in the end everything was made in vain...like smoke and mirrors...just incredible some of the mistakes I saw out there tonight...so odd yet so familiar too...so depressing...I thought we were better than this.

Washington will manhandle Florida tomorrow...they'll finish their scoring chances...they won't look nervous or anxious like we did...Huet won't give up terrible goals...so folks honestly this could be the end for this season...we'll see I guess...but if it is...what a terrible way to finish it...looking like the team that we all thought had left for good...the same mistake prone, head scratching ramble of a mess. You had it in your hands Carolina...and you proved that when it came right down to it...you weren't really all that you were dressed up to be...just smoke and mirrors.

The Washingon Capitals deserve to take our place now...they have all the advantages we thought we had...and they're not smoke and mirrors.

Stay on your boards please.. we don't need you telling us how this game went..

Just making an observation in light of all the 'conspiracy' comments regarding the Caps.

9 PP to 0 should dispel that myth. There is no 'conspiracy'.

Sorry to offend.

Well...that was the most disappointing thing I've ever seen/been a part of...here's my thoughts:

The Florida Panthers didn't beat us tonight, Vokoun and Andersen did. We outplayed the Panthers, outshot them, and got many PP opportunities to their none. With that said though, I still think that we were our own worst enemy tonight.

Cam Ward was awful...I still can't believe how in this BIGGEST game of the season he can't come up with some of those saves like he's done in weeks prior...honestly this loss could almost rest sorely on his shoulders...

The FOUR defensive lapses were awful...and not surprisingly Florida capitalized on every single chance they got/we gave them. Florida didn't have to worry about showing up offensively, because remarkably the old 'Canes team showed up tonight and gave Florida every chance they needed to win.

The first two FLA goals MAKE ME SICK...RIGHT IN FRONT OF CAM WARD is where Boumeester/Montador had their chance...and bam two wristers later the Panthers take the lead. HOW ON EARTH CAN THE TEAM LET TWO DEFENSIVEMEN WALK OUT WITH THE PUCK AND SHOOT FROM 10FT AWAY??? COME ON!!! I mean honestly the 'Canes AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME came out and made some of their same old mistakes...ya know the ones that had been put away for the last month or so. Third FLA goal was a breakaway, another classic 'Canes mistake...giving up breakways...and Horton had NO trouble wristing it right by Ward. Fourth FLA goal again was another classic 'Canes mistake...giving up a SHG. That one was all on Ward though...looked pathetic as Dvorak put it right past his blocker.

As much offensive pressure as we had tonight, let's be honest and admit that there weren't that many great chances...idk why but tonight I saw a 'Canes team that looked anxious with the puck...nervous you could say. Maybe the pressure got to them...but I mean all night long players missed passes, shot pucks wide, and just overall weren't in good position to finish good scoring chances. Yes Vokoun and Andersen were great, but IMHO the 'Canes really didn't have a good night in terms on puckhandling and shooting...the whole nervousness really looked to take effect on our PP chances...yea we scored twice but still we had TWO 5 on 3 opportunities that we did nothing with...if anything this lost was made by Cam Ward and our woeful PP (sounds like another classic 'Canes trademark).

I never imagined that we'd lose this game...so really the shock is still setting in...this Carolina team has done everything of late to convince me that we were gonna win the division and make a good playoff run...I mean the vets stepped up and the rookies filled in nicely...the effort was there...the trades worked...and then bam we suddenly revert back to some old mistakes...like in the end everything was made in vain...like smoke and mirrors...just incredible some of the mistakes I saw out there tonight...so odd yet so familiar too...so depressing...I thought we were better than this.

Washington will manhandle Florida tomorrow...they'll finish their scoring chances...they won't look nervous or anxious like we did...Huet won't give up terrible goals...so folks honestly this could be the end for this season...we'll see I guess...but if it is...what a terrible way to finish it...looking like the team that we all thought had left for good...the same mistake prone, head scratching ramble of a mess. You had it in your hands Carolina...and you proved that when it came right down to it...you weren't really all that you were dressed up to be...just smoke and mirrors.

The Washingon Capitals deserve to take our place now...they have all the advantages we thought we had...and they're not smoke and mirrors.

WELL SAID!

Just making an observation in light of all the 'conspiracy' comments regarding the Caps.

9 PP to 0 should dispel that myth. There is no 'conspiracy'.

Sorry to offend.

Are you here solely to inform us of that "stat"?

Tha Panthers didn't even play like they cared ... the ref's handed us the game ... and we still couldn't win! SAD!

Im sorry to say but

1st.. The ref's didn't hand the game to us, Panthers just took stupid penalties.

2nd.. Panthers were loose, excited to play this game (even if they dont get anything out of it) John said they were having a fun time this morning, smiling laughing.. They knew what to do, (Wait for the Canes to make bad choices, then when they make mistakes capitalize.. Martin knew how to beat us tonight...

For right now I'm speechless,

1 Thing i will say, please people DON'T point fingers to anybody..Cam just had an awful night and chose to e one tonight.. Everybody has worked there butts off since the ASG, and October.. Tonight was just, one of those games were their goalie kept them in the game..

But one thing i will say is i've never seen a game 48 shots too 16 and we lost 4-3..

And two more things imho...

The Refs did their BEST job of helping us out...NINE penalties for the Panthers to NONE for us...you never, ever see that type of disparity anymore...yet we STILL couldn't get it done for reasons mentioned above. The NHL did help us tonight...and it all blew up in our faces...as it should have.

Another thing...it frustrates the hell out of me that we couldn't 1) get it done vs. the Lightning like a week ago...2-1 loss, 2) get it done vs. the Caps two weeks ago AT home...3-2 loss, 3) get it done vs. a Panther team that we just beat like three weeks ago in their self-proclaimed game of the decade...PLUS had beaten THIRTEEN! straight times @ the RBC center...13!!! It is SO fitting that we had three chances to get it done over the last three weeks, yet we fell short each time...just by one goal...just agonizing enough! Honestly I look back now and think "why did any of us think the team would get it done tonight...they've failed each of the last two times...what makes it different tonight?" Oh yea...this time it was against the team we always beat...always come back against...always have an advantage over...yet in this most crucial game it all goes away...just another opponent...just another big game...that we fail against. Really fitting that the Panthers beat us at home...when we had a chance to clinch the division and playoff spot...really fitting that the Panthers take away our happiness at its apex...I bet they're all happy now...about time I guess.

Now we sit and wring our hands.

I am so disappointed.

Cam was pitiful. He made 1 (ONE) really great save.

Our D men (while doing well to limit to 17 shots) looked lost at times tying to get it out.

PP sucked- sometime took over 1 min to get it in the zone under control!!!

Staal again played his butt off. Serge looked better, where was LaRose...

Rutuu & Walker on the PP??and not the Aucoin-Bayda-Walks line that has been dominant 5 on 5??

Model- I am sad to say I agree with your first post in the thread. After that, you infer amount of posts means something....only typo-diarrehea(sp)- you get the picture!

What surprised me most is that some of their players were actually blocking shots, yet we were not. Our players would not put their body on the line to solidify a playoff position, but the FLA players with nothing to gain but a moral victory from keeping us out would go down like they were already in the playoffs! This really bugged me and made it seem like we didnt even want to win it. Defense look tired bc of all the breakaways that were given up. Cant really blame Cam if the Defense gives up that much to the other team.

Bottom line we didnt have a playoff mentality tonight, and we should have. We took this game off.

My analysis on tonight:

We were too uptight. As the powerplays progressed we gave up taking shots in favor of looking for the perfect shot that never occured. FL snuffed the life out of our top line, and our forwards did their best to pretend it was December and get back to slowly to help DMen. Cullen was horrible. I assume he is still suffering from concussion syndrome as he was a turnover waiting to happen everywhere tonight, when our Dman went low on the PP Cullen totally forgot he had duty on the Short Handed goal and was slow to react. The shortie was Matt Cullens fault not Cam Wards.

Samsonov, Walker, Ruutu, Staal, LaRose, Wesley all brought it tonight and played for the most part under control. Nic Walin again made some questionable decisions with the puck and showed he is getting slower and slower afoot. Whitney was no help and the line changes (ours) seemed to do more to bother us then it did FL. AGAIN we didnt set the tone and bring a physical presence. Sure Ruutu and a few others tried their part, but where were the big hits early that may have broken the Panthers spirit? WE played up to our billing of a soft team tonight. The team that fought back with River Rats playing responsible defense FIRST, was replaced by a team that lost responsiblity again tonight.

Finally,

Tonight yet again, our $4million dollar offensive player did very little on offense, and his defense isnt much to begin with. Erik Cole is a great guy, but frankly he is vastly overpaid on our team at the present. He can't finish, can't play the PK, barely can play the PP, and has lost the physical edge that made him look like the games next great power forward. His stick work is what it was in 2002, and thats not enough for a power forward that can't bury it, and can't camp out in front of the other teams net. Eric Staal proved this year why he is worth $4mill+ a year. Cole proved this year why he needs to be on the 2nd line.

I feel bad for Conboy and Brookbank. They are not as good as Ray Whitney nor Matt Cullen, but tonight we sure could have used their physical edge and defense first mentality.

<_<

To be fair, the refs weren't "trying to helps us out" with the 9-0 edge in penalties, which I'm sure some certain fans would say. They were for the most part not judgment calls where the refs had much say in them. Two delays of game for putting the puck over the glass. One for the Florida defender covering the puck in the crease with his hand. A slash because of a broken stick (most likely wouldn't have been called if the stick didn't break). An obvious high sticking. That right there are five of the nine penalties. Those are calls that should be made. If they hadn't been called, it would say more about the officiating than them being called does.

The others were two tripping and two hooking. Considering the Panthers play a more defensive game, those are pretty typical penalties to be taken, and not a whole lot of them, at that.

There also would have been a PP for Florida, but they scored on the delayed penalty.

That's not to say that there weren't more penalties that could have been called on the Canes. Of course there were. But there were also more that could have been on the Panthers, too. The refs did let the teams play for the most part, which is good in a game like this.

Still, the Canes had everything going in their favor. Pretty much every stat. They could have scored more if they finished their chances, but at the same time they weren't playing well on the defensive end. Hard to say which mattered more. If Cam could have stopped a goal or two things could have been very different. But just the same one or two more of those missed shots going in could have done just as much.

The Canes just really looked off tonight. They seemed slower, passive, and unenthusiastic. There were times when the puck was between two players, and they paused to see if the other would get it. There were also many times where they stood on their heals and let the puck go behind them without taking a swat at it. From everything that was said before the game it sounded like they were really pumped up for the game, but on the ice it really did look like it was Florida playing for the extra games and not the Canes. Florida was all over the ice, and the Canes were in bad positioning all night. It looked like the Canes were a man down all game except when they had the 5-on-3's. The most frustrating thing is that even though their play looked so pathetic all night, they were so close to coming out with a better result.

I'm so angry right now, I can see straight. So I'm just going to leave it at this, and take the night off to cool down.

3 goats of tonight:

1. Ward - Way to step it up when the team really needs you, buddy. 4 goals on 16 shots. Had no pressure on him all game, and he chokes it away. I don't care if it's a defensive breakdown, that's when it's his responsibility to make those saves and keep the team in the game. He didn't. Only made 1 amazing save tonight, and only because he (once again) committed far too much to one player.

2. The powerplay - Corvo's gone. I said it immediately after the Atlanta game, where his turnover caused a shorthanded goal. Tonight's no different. We brought him here to shoot, and he spent the night passing to Ray. Fitting that when he finally does shoot, it's from half-ice and effectively ends any chance of a playoff bound team.

3. The refs - Holy expletive. What a terribley officiated game. Not for us, but for the Panthers. I find it hard to believe that Carolina went the entire game only taking 1 penalty (which they promptly scored on the delayed whistle). They handed us the game on a silver platter. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The league needs to address their inconsistent officiating.

Honorable mention: Tim Gleason - Terrible pinch on the 2nd goal. And complete disappeared on the breakaway 3rd goal. And to top it all off, had hands of stone tonight.

That's it, I'm done.

I agree, except on #2...I was right there at center ice and what you may not have noticed was Corvo returning passes to Whitney after Whitney's passes were into Corvo's skates leaving him in no position to shoot. Whitney was an absolute disaster on the power play...trouble hadnling the puck and didn't seem to want to shoot it. He finally did make one good pace to Samsonov who nailed it, but it wasnt enough. Pretty clear that Whitney was not yet in condition to play a game at this level, and the decision to play him cost our team down the stretch. Whitney is a finesse player with zero phyisical presence and when he's having trouble handling the puck, he's pretty worthless. He was an even bigger disaster at Washington, and the decision to stay with him was a costly one.

I took a lot of *edit* here recently about my comments of Laviolette going with a weak lineup that excluded guys like Brookbank and Conboy...guys who helped get us into playoff position in the first place. Well, a lot of discussion on that the last few days with Forslund and its pretty clear that Lavi's breaking up of the team chemistry did not play out in our favor. Scottie Walker did everything humanly possible to spark the team with physical play, but it wasn't enough. Once again it was almost eery how little Carolina was hitting. Florida is a team that was playing for little, and if we pounded them hard an early, they may not have wanted to play so hard. Washington pushed us around like paper dolls the other nite, and our 2-1 loss at Tampa Bay was another pitiful physical effort. Hockey is a physical game, and if you don't want to play that way, you are just fodder.

Lavi's decision to bring a knife to gunfights down the stretch by breaking up the chemistry and eliminating the swagger that got us to the brink is the worst decision I've seen in sports in many years. So after a Stanley Cup win, we then became the 3rd team in NHL history not to make the playoffs the next year, and now have followed that up with taking a lock on a division title that we blew down the stretch and at home. Laviolette has nothing to be proud of and he is as much a part of these losses as anyone on the team.

Very sad indeed.

I agree, except on #2...I was right there at center ice and what you may not have noticed was Corvo returning passes to Whitney after Whitney's passes were into Corvo's skates leaving him in no position to shoot. Whitney was an absolute disaster on the power play...trouble hadnling the puck and didn't seem to want to shoot it. He finally did make one good pace to Samsonov who nailed it, but it wasnt enough. Pretty clear that Whitney was not yet in condition to play a game at this level, and the decision to play him cost our team down the stretch. Whitney is a finesse player with zero phyisical presence and when he's having trouble handling the puck, he's pretty worthless. He was an even bigger disaster at Washington, and the decision to stay with him was a costly one.

I took a lot of *edit* here recently about my comments of Laviolette going with a weak lineup that excluded guys like Brookbank and Conboy...guys who helped get us into playoff position in the first place. Well, a lot of discussion on that the last few days with Forslund and its pretty clear that Lavi's breaking up of the team chemistry did not play out in our favor. Scottie Walker did everything humanly possible to spark the team with physical play, but it wasn't enough. Once again it was almost eery how little Carolina was hitting. Florida is a team that was playing for little, and if we pounded them hard an early, they may not have wanted to play so hard. Washington pushed us around like paper dolls the other nite, and our 2-1 loss at Tampa Bay was another pitiful physical effort. Hockey is a physical game, and if you don't want to play that way, you are just fodder.

Agree on both of these 100%. I couldnt believe that Brookbank and/or Conboy werent in the line up after the game in Washington. Florida is not Tampa and had a lot more invested in doing what they could to knock us out. They had absolutely nothing to play for except pride and revenge and if their will was diminished early, they would have faded. The question was asked to Forslund on 99.9 after the game and it was very obvious he questioned the same thing. He said the right thing and somewhat protected the decision but it came across loud and clear that disrupting what was working so well was a mistake.

Agree on both of these 100%. I couldnt believe that Brookbank and/or Conboy werent in the line up after the game in Washington. Florida is not Tampa and had a lot more invested in doing what they could to knock us out. They had absolutely nothing to play for except pride and revenge and if their will was diminished early, they would have faded. The question was asked to Forslund on 99.9 after the game and it was very obvious he questioned the same thing. He said the right thing and somewhat protected the decision but it came across loud and clear that disrupting what was working so well was a mistake.

The bottom line is that the 'Canes played like garbage. Don't be fooled by the 46-17 shot count. The only reason that we got that many shots is because Florida was playing the trap all night and were content to collapse in their defensive zone.

Passing was terrible - they were either to no one, to Jay Bouwmeester, or they were bouncing off our sticks. They brought in a scrub goalie, yet we could not finish our many chances. We had so many power plays and converted on too few of them, and Ward let in an extremely soft shorthanded goal. Awful.

I love my team, but this was a huge chokejob. And it wasn't just tonight. We had two chances to beat Washington, and Tampa at their place. All we had to do was win one of those games, and we blew it.

If Florida is content to play that trap again Saturday, Ovechkin, Semin, and company will have a ball picking them apart. I hate rooting for those clowns to get into the playoffs. I don't think they'll lose just to spite us, but Washington will obviously be more motivated and fresher.

Then again, the 'Canes were supposed to be motivated. As they say, that's why they play the game, so don't give up just yet. However, either way, I'm absolutely disgusted with the way this team failed to close it out.

My analysis on tonight:

We were too uptight......

<_<

One Man's speculative theory:

Lavi likes to emphasize NOT taking penalties. In short, they played to not lose rather than to win. The lack of hitting was glaring, especially on home ice. Just think of the hits in the Caps game (though we lost in OT then). Nothing close to that vs Florida.

Ditto for being in front of the goal. Was it fear of "Goalie interference" calls?

Uptight? Very likely!

My Goats of the game would be,

1. Ward. The first two weren't his fault, yes he should have been in a better position but anytime an opposing Dman creeps that far into the slot your Defense has hung you out to dry. The breakaways, Thats all you baby at least force the shooter to deke, Ward takes on breakaways like its the pregame warmups.

2. Cole. Twice he was standing infront of the goal like a statue with the puck infront of him and he did nothing. He wasnt there tonight. and not that it came into play in this game but whats up with his "puck to the inside I go around move" that never ever ever works.

3. Samsonov. open net, forehand, backhand, forehand shot, goalie save. This made me think of the last goal Ovechkin scored against us. It was rolling away from him and he got to it turned and fired, For gods sake shoot the puck when you have an open net.