The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
goeb

Post-Game Analysis 4/4 vs. Florida

In most ways the Canes outplayed the Cats. The Canes spent much more time int eh Cats' zone than the Cats spent in the Canes'. The shot margin favored the Canes by ove a 2 to 1 margin. The power plays in teh tird period were anemic, however. It was as if the Cnaes were looking for the perfect shot and afraid to take a shot unless they had one. Cam, however, let the team down when he alloed the shortie. That was a shot and NHL goalie is supposed to stop, especailly in a big game.

3. Samsonov. open net, forehand, backhand, forehand shot, goalie save. This made me think of the last goal Ovechkin scored against us. It was rolling away from him and he got to it turned and fired, For gods sake shoot the puck when you have an open net.

Are you referring to that time when Samsonov was crashing the net and someone (forgot who it was) passed it to him and he had a wide-open net? That only happened because no one could pass to him tonight. Most pucks passed to him ended up in his skates, and you can't kick it in (next season will be different).

FLAT. That is how we looked. Sure we were credited with a lot of shots, but there really weren't a lot of good scoring chances. I did not see the "lay it all on the line" attitude last night that we needed.

SOFT. That is how we played. I thought this team looked great when we had Brookbank and Conboy out there. I said this before the Caps game and some ran me down for this, but we could have used them then. Somebody to drop the gloves when we needed some energy or just hit somebody. I understand we had some guys getting healthy, but there has to be at least one spot on the bench for one of these guys. This must be addressed in the offseason.

Cam wasn't at his best. If Cullen skates backwards instead of putting his head down and skating forwards, he pushes the breakaway wide and we may not give up the shortie. We had the opportunities on the PP, even two 5 on 3 tries. The fans did their part.

Now we wait. Frankly, I don't know if I will watch or not tonight. We had a couple of chances to lock this thing up and the boys laid an egg both times. I hate to watch and hope the Caps will lay the same egg.

The silver platter the game was served up on couldn't have been bigger or shinier. Loud home crowd, opponent with nothing to play for, Cats goalie getting back spasms and having to be replaced, getting nine powerplays (versus none for the Panthers)...

I was just watching the game again on DVR (saw it live last night) and that backbreaking short-handed goal near the end of the second was just sickening. Cullen especially dissapointed me - what was going through his mind just drifting backwards and then turning around too late. And the shot was very stoppable. Andersen probably would have stopped it.

The bottom line is as many stellar saves as Cam makes, he lets in a lot of soft goals - many in critical game situations. The goaltending inconsistency is the number one issue that needs to be resolved on this team. Defense is right behind it. But scoring four goals on eighty-eight shots between the Tampa Bay loss and last night? Just going up against hot goaltending? Nah - something else is wrong. A Cane shoots a soft wrist shot from 40 feet out and gets credit for a shot on goal. So many many little mistakes were made in addition to a few real biggies - death by a thousand cuts! The offense has issues too - maybe guys coming back from injuries will be enough to fix that. But the defense and the goaltending are what really sunk the Canes this year.

The players that lavi put back in the line did nothing. Yea whitney and can skate in circles with the puck thats all he did and he didn't set up the power play or anybody.

I'm still mad at the refs for not calling more penalties on Florida and giving the Canes a few more 5 on 3's. They might have tied it in the last 12 minutes of the game in which they were ultimately unable to do anything - and then lost it in a shootout.

All kidding aside about the lopsided calls, Florida may think the Canes are divers, but the reality is Florida is a clutch and grab, hook and hold, trip and slash type of team.

Play that game exactly the same way 100 times and we win 90 times. We outplayed them except for a few crutial lapses. Blown defensive assignments led to wide open shots, and they cashed with great shots. Cam did not come to the rescue. We had awsome chances mixed in with the 40 ft wristers. Sampsonov had two, Aucoin, Cole whiffed a couple, Anderson sprawled to take away an clear goal. Just what can happen when it all comes down to one game.

For those who say we shouldn't have let it come to this. We were 10-3-2 at the end, and the loss in Tampa was a back to back with a rested home team. It was the middle of the season that cost us and the fact that Washington went on an unholy historical run to close the year.

Whitney and Cullen were not ready, and in retrospect that turned out to be a bad move. Cole has done a whole lot of nothing. Yes, he could come back with a monster year next year, but if we can package him and get a top 2 defenseman....no brainer.

Sad way to have it go down, perhaps we have a winning lottery ticket tonight. Hey, it could happen, someone did win a house last night, you never know.

Are you referring to that time when Samsonov was crashing the net and someone (forgot who it was) passed it to him and he had a wide-open net? That only happened because no one could pass to him tonight. Most pucks passed to him ended up in his skates, and you can't kick it in (next season will be different).

i agree samsonov played excellent.

well i know very little about hockey, but after watching the games the past few weeks, several in person.....that team that played last night was NOT the same team that has been playing so well in recent weeks.....i was very disapponted not to see brookbank and conboy in...the chemistry just did not feel the same from the very beginning of the game....

and the other thing i will say....looked like we were waiting FOREVER to make the perfect shot....esp on the powerplays....but their defense and esp goalie play was exceptional....

Last night our passes seemed to be off and I think we all know about Cam's play.

Cam has been great for us down the stretch but this was the game that we needed him and he decides not to show up.

I also would have liked to see better finishing out of the guys, we were getting chances we just were not putting them in the back of the net.

"As a group, we certainly, I thought, didn't get enough great performances from a lot of people," left wing Ray Whitney said.

Is he calling certain players out?

"As a group, we certainly, I thought, didn't get enough great performances from a lot of people," left wing Ray Whitney said.

Is he calling certain players out?

Yeah, it's like the pot calling the kettle black. He's a defensive liability at best, these past 3 games. He could use a lesson on back checking.

We lost this game in November when players like him forgot that it's not only an offensive game, but a team defense effort that succeeds and plays on in April.

He's one I can certainly do without next year.