The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Your official stop for the playoff picture...

Add a games played thing under the stats, at least until all teams have played 82 games. Some folks here are just too lazy to do math.

And I think this should be pinned, as this will be pretty helpful in the coming weeks.

I debated doing that, but I figured people could add it up. But as you said, who wants to do math? So, it's in there now. :lol:

Because the race is so close, and because they're in a slide. Six more wins, though, and they're in.

cool idea for the thread. Is it possible to calculate how many points we are from clinching the southeast or a playoff spot, I think it'll keep everyone up to date.

For example, the magic number of points for the canes to clinch the South is 19 points right now, cause thats the most the Caps could get right now is 26 points over their remaining 13 games. Canes have a 7-point lead, and 11 games left, so as a resultthe Canes are right now 19 points away from officially clinching, of course the number can only get smaller as the Caps and Canes play more games.

Also for ice Frogg, Wings aren't far from clinching their division, 3 straight wins would ultimately eliminate any other team in their division from catching them. If Chicago losses their next 2 and Detroit wins 1 of their next 2, Wings are officially in.

cool idea for the thread. Is it possible to calculate how many points we are from clinching the southeast or a playoff spot, I think it'll keep everyone up to date.

For example, the magic number of points for the canes to clinch the South is 19 points right now, cause thats the most the Caps could get right now is 26 points over their remaining 13 games. Canes have a 7-point lead, and 11 games left, so as a resultthe Canes are right now 19 points away from officially clinching, of course the number can only get smaller as the Caps and Canes play more games.

Also for ice Frogg, Wings aren't far from clinching their division, 3 straight wins would ultimately eliminate any other team in their division from catching them. If Chicago losses their next 2 and Detroit wins 1 of their next 2, Wings are officially in.

Yeah, but I'm surprised at how long it's taken the Wings to cinch a spot, considering their pace early in the year. Figured even with the huge losing streak, they would have had it by now.

As for the Caps, after March 17th, that's when we should start the calculating. The Caps officially lose the games in hand after that night, so after that, it's just a race to the finish.

I also think we shouldn't count Florida out yet. They're running hot again (4 game winning streak), and their goaltending's starting to show itself.

Is it possible to calculate how many points we are from clinching the southeast or a playoff spot, I think it'll keep everyone up to date.

You just did. :lol:

You just did. :lol:

Well i meant, as the season goes on,lol. Maybe Ice frogg's ide ais better, wait until mid=march to do that, maybe I'll take care of it since I have the calculations down.

Playoff matchups as of today:

New Jersey (#1) vs. Philadelphia (#8)

Montreal (#2) vs. New York Rangers (#7)

Carolina (#3) vs. Boston (#6)

Pittsburgh (#4) vs. Ottawa (#5)

SouthEast Division Games this week:

Carolina:(79pts)

11 GAMES LEFT (MAX pts 22 for total 101)

@ Chicago

@ Buffalo

vs. Ottawa

Washington:(-7pts)

13 GAMES LEFT (MAX pts 26 for total 98)

vs. Pittsburgh

vs. Calgary

vs. Atlanta

vs. Boston

Florida:(-7pts)

11 GAMES LEFT (MAX pts 22 for total 94)

vs. New York Islanders

vs. New York Rangers

vs. Atlanta

Atlanta:(-11pts)

12 GAMES LEFT (MAX pts 24 for total 92)

vs. Colorado

vs. Calgary

@ Washington

@Florida

Tampa Bay:(-19pts)

14 GAMES LEFT (MAX pts 28 for total 88)

@ Columbus

vs. New York Islanders

@ Boston

vs. New York Rangers

Washington just blew their chance at cutting into our lead with an own goal with 28 seconds to go. They completely wasted their game in hand.... good

Very nice...

Canes now hold a 7 point lead in the division with 11 games to go. 2 of which are against the Caps. The Caps have 1 game in hand on the Canes, but today's loss was huge for the Canes because if the Canes and Caps go even with each other the rest of the way, and even if the Caps win both games against the Canes and their 1 game in hand, the Canes still win the division by a point.

Huge loss today... huge

Washington's loss is huge, since they loss both back-to-back games.

Funny watching Backstrom put the puck into his own net and seeing Oveckin's reaction.

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Florida's push of late. They could end up being a threat.

Montreal (#2) vs. Boston(#7)

Carolina (#3) vs. New York Rangers (#6)

I'd much rather see BOS pass the NYR for #6 spot, we seem to play better against the Bruins, and a MTL-NYR matchup would be fun to watch and take a lot out of both of those teams, IMO.

Funny watching Backstrom put the puck into his own net and seeing Oveckin's reaction.

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Florida's push of late. They could end up being a threat.

Did Backstrom get his payoff from the Hurricanes Booster Club yet? <_<

That was so funny to watch! :lol:

Already got that on my page. ;)

Here's another source to figure out how many games we need to win, and others need to lose.....

This guy does a "magic number" page with all the teams in the NHL.

http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/

Read his FAQ as well to interpret the numbers.

http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/answers.html

You can see what your magic number is against any other team in your conference. Right now our magic number is 18(pts) with Washington, 16 with Florida, etc.

I didn't find this, someone else out here did and posted it on another thread, so I don't take credit for it, but I think it is another interesting view. Guy simulates all the remaining games, and provides percentages for each of the possible finishing spots for any team.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL

Right now, the Canes are sitting at 87.7% chance of making the playoffs. (Up 21% in one week)

I didn't find this, someone else out here did and posted it on another thread, so I don't take credit for it, but I think it is another interesting view. Guy simulates all the remaining games, and provides percentages for each of the possible finishing spots for any team.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL''>http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL' target="_blank">http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL[/post]

Right now, the Canes are sitting at 87.7% chance of making the playoffs. (Up 21% in one week)

Interesting, but i don't buy into it, cause how can you simulate a game? Too many variables with the parity the NHL has.

Interesting, but i don't buy into it, cause how can you simulate a game? Too many variables with the parity the NHL has.

Agreed, his process is not to factor in the team abilities in his simulations, so that aspect is not very accurate.

However, if you take it as just another data point, it is useful in that it combines all of the possibilities of what can happen with all of the other games into the equation. A task that is very difficult if you try and analyze by hand.

The other cool thing is, for any given day, you can tell who you need to root for to win. It might be counterintuitive for example, to believe that you should root for Atlanta to win, but if they are playing the Flyers, for example, it may turn out that Atlanta winning increases the Canes chances of making the playoffs, factoring in the 8th spot.

Anyways, taken for what it is worth, it's just another interesting view on the whole picture. It's better as a scenario analyzer, not as a predictor. A better way of phrasing what it is saying then is, 87.7% of the remaining scenarios of all of the remaining games yield the Canes making the playoffs.

Would definitely like to see us play the Bruins instead of the Rangers in the first round. The rangers are on a ridiculous hot streak, undefeated in their past 10 games. 8-0-2. It would be a heck of a series given the history between these two teams but I think we would incur some injuries that may inhibit us from advancing to the next round (the game in December where we lost Cullen and Ladd). Granted a lot has changed since then, I just think our chances versus the B's are a lot better.

Oooh we could see the first team eliminated on Thursday. A loss for LA paired with a Vancouver win and a Minnesota win or tie means LA's mathematically out, not that they haven't been realistically out for months now.

IceFrog had wondered how Detroit hadn't clinched a playoff berth yet... well now, they've not only done that, but they've also sealed up the Central Division title, and are the first team to reach 100 points. That's a lot to accomplish in one night.