The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Your official stop for the playoff picture...

IceFrog had wondered how Detroit hadn't clinched a playoff berth yet... well now, they've not only done that, but they've also sealed up the Central Division title, and are the first team to reach 100 points. That's a lot to accomplish in one night.

Ok, now on to the Presidents trophy and an early exit from the playoffs. :lol:

We have our first team to be officially eliminated from playoff contention: Los Angeles. No surprise there.

Would definitely like to see us play the Bruins instead of the Rangers in the first round. The rangers are on a ridiculous hot streak, undefeated in their past 10 games. 8-0-2. It would be a heck of a series given the history between these two teams but I think we would incur some injuries that may inhibit us from advancing to the next round (the game in December where we lost Cullen and Ladd). Granted a lot has changed since then, I just think our chances versus the B's are a lot better.

Bruins are now within 1 point of the Rangers. Lets hope the Rangers keep losing (lost last 2) and the Bruins start winning some more.

Schedule for this week:

Hurricanes only play THREE games this week:

3/16 v. Ottawa (WIN)

3/19 @ Atlanta

3/20 @ Florida

Capitals play FOUR games in SIX days:

3/16 v. Boston (WIN)

3/18 @ Nashville

3/19 @ Chicago

3/21 @ Atlanta

Panthers play THREE games this week:

3/16 v. Atlanta (WIN)

3/20 v. Carolina

3/22 v. Tampa Bay

This will be the week that could determine the SouthEast, especially with Washington starting their SIX game road trip on Tuesday.

Both Florida and Carolina have the more favorable schedule, since both teams have played 74 games already.

Washington will lose their Game in Hand by this coming weekend.

I have to say... it would be pretty awesome if a win over Washington on March 25 would officially clinch the division. Mainly because I'll be there. :)

Canes would need to win 4 out of their last 7 games, plus get an OT loss to at least clinch the division if washington were to win their remaining 7 games.

Most points Caps can get now is 94, so i guess the magic number of points is now at 9 for the Canes, cause we'd break the tiebreaker with more wins. Each win by the Canes or loss by the caps makes the magic number smaller and smaller.

Canes would need to win 4 out of their last 7 games, plus get an OT loss to at least clinch the division if washington were to win their remaining 7 games.

Most points Caps can get now is 94, so i guess the magic number of points is now at 9 for the Canes, cause we'd break the tiebreaker with more wins. Each win by the Canes or loss by the caps makes the magic number smaller and smaller.

Two months ago I wouldn't have bet a nickel on any of these teams, now we're the hottest division in the league. Go figure? Hopefully my old heart can take it. What a great run for the playoffs! :)

Whatever it takes. LET'S GO CANES!

The first two Eastern Conference teams to be eliminated from playoff contention come right out of our division: Tampa Bay and Atlanta. They both got knocked out thanks to Philadelphia's shootout win.

So the 6th place Rangers are 1 point behind 5th place Ottawa in the standings. If the Rangers keep playing like they have been, I have no doubt they will put themselves into 5th place and Ottawa will fall to 6th. Both series would be interesting of course but for different reasons. If we play Ottawa, that series will be interesting because of the trades, and if our last game against them is any indication, we have the upper hand. However, if you look at our record against them over the entire season, its tied two games to two. This match up would, in my opinion, be much less physical and in that respect good because we don't want to lose more players. If we end up against the Rangers however we all know that is going to be an all out brawl. There is no way we could get out of that match up without at least one significant injury if you ask me. But I guess the question here is, which team would we be able to beat easier? I would have to say our future looks better if we play Ottawa because they are still a bit disorganized with everything that is going on right now. But the Rangers? They are incredibly hot right now... not that we couldnt beat them or that I wouldnt love to see that matchup but it would take a lot out of us and be more difficult in my opinion than if we played Ottawa. Thoughts?

.... But the Rangers? They are incredibly hot right now... not that we couldnt beat them or that I wouldnt love to see that matchup but it would take a lot out of us and be more difficult in my opinion than if we played Ottawa. Thoughts?

Neither wants TO PLAY THE CANES!

So the 6th place Rangers are 1 point behind 5th place Ottawa in the standings. If the Rangers keep playing like they have been, I have no doubt they will put themselves into 5th place and Ottawa will fall to 6th. Both series would be interesting of course but for different reasons. If we play Ottawa, that series will be interesting because of the trades, and if our last game against them is any indication, we have the upper hand. However, if you look at our record against them over the entire season, its tied two games to two. This match up would, in my opinion, be much less physical and in that respect good because we don't want to lose more players. If we end up against the Rangers however we all know that is going to be an all out brawl. There is no way we could get out of that match up without at least one significant injury if you ask me. But I guess the question here is, which team would we be able to beat easier? I would have to say our future looks better if we play Ottawa because they are still a bit disorganized with everything that is going on right now. But the Rangers? They are incredibly hot right now... not that we couldnt beat them or that I wouldnt love to see that matchup but it would take a lot out of us and be more difficult in my opinion than if we played Ottawa. Thoughts?

Rangers have lost two important centers to injury. Bettes is out for a few weeks and Gomez may or may not have a couple of broken or bruised ribs from last night's game.

I like our match up with Ottawa better for the same reasons as you, it should be a less physical series.

Rangers have lost two important centers to injury. Bettes is out for a few weeks and Gomez may or may not have a couple of broken or bruised ribs from last night's game.

I like our match up with Ottawa better for the same reasons as you, it should be a less physical series.

You know what I enjoy?

Not having Buffalo in the playoff picture! :):lol: :lol:

Yeah, with the Leafs and Panthers winning and the Bruins getting a point, its getting less likely the Sabres will see the post season.

According to Sports Club stats, after tonight the Sabres have about a 22% chance of seeing the playoffs.

You know what I enjoy?

Not having Buffalo in the playoff picture! :):lol: :lol:

Yeah, with the Leafs and Panthers winning and the Bruins getting a point, its getting less likely the Sabres will see the post season.

According to Sports Club stats, after tonight the Sabres have about a 22% chance of seeing the playoffs.

Schedule for the Southeast Teams still in the hunt for a playoff spot:

This week could be a determining factor, as Washington plays both the Canes and the Kittens.

Washington will be finishing up their 6-game road trip, albeit not really one, since their schedule

allowed them to come home after 3 games to rest and recharge.

Carolina has been on a hot streak, going 8-1 for the month of March and 15-6-1 since February.

Florida has been on a hot streak, going 8-0-1 for the month of March.

Washington is 7-4 for the month of March.

Carolina

Mar. 25th v Washington

Mar. 28th v Atlanta

Mar. 29th @ Tampa Bay

Washington

Mar. 25th @ Carolina

Mar. 27th @ Tampa Bay

Mar. 29th @ Florida

Florida

Mar. 25th @ Tampa Bay

Mar. 27th v Atlanta

Mar. 29th v Washington

Battling for 6th, 7th and 8th

New York Rangers have cooled off a little, and could overtake the Sens, going 6-2-2 in the month of March. (Currently 6th, 4 wins and 2 losses this month due to shoot-outs.

Boston is really floundering and in danger of falling out of the Top 8, going 3-5-4 in the month of March. (Currently 7th, but falling fast) I see them falling out of the playoff race.

Philadelphia has also been struggling to keep from falling out of the Top 8, going 5-3-3 in the month of March. (Currently 8th, but falling) I see them falling out of the playoff race.

Washington is 3 points out of 8th. Washington could sneak into the playoffs. Their last games are against Carolina(2), Florida(2), and Tampa Bay(2)though Washington would Florida would have to at least split with Carolina and Washington and win both vs. Tampa Bay.

Buffalo is 4-4-2 for the month of March and have been struggling to stay consistent. (3 points out of 8th). Buffalo has games against Ottawa(2), Boston(2), Montreal(2) and Toronto(1).

Florida is 3 points out of 8th. Florida too could sneak into the playoffs. Their last games are against Carolina(2), Washington(2) and Atlanta(2). As with Washington, Florida would have to at least split with Carolina and Washington and win both vs. Atlanta

Toronto has been playing well (despite the weird 197ft goal given up by Toskala), going 7-3 for the month of March. (4 points out of 8th)

Slim Chance making the playoffs, as they have games left against Boston(2), Montreal(2), Ottawa(1) and Buffalo(1)

New York Islanders(not mathematically out of it) Atlanta and Tampa Bay are done.

Just want you to know how much this is appreciated. Even the official NHL standings list takes a while to update, and with so many important games coming up...well, blah blah. Right now, Anaheim has clinched a spot and that's not on there, and they don't have eliminations or games remaining. Thanks bunches.

Great breakdown hopper. I think one other Southeast team will be in the playoffs along with the hurricanes, just depends on who wins those 2 games between Caps and Panthers, I'll definitely be catching those games for entertainment.

Florida is 3 points out of 8th. Florida too could sneak into the playoffs. Their last games are against Carolina(2), Washington(2) and Atlanta(2). As with Washington, Florida would have to at least split with Carolina and Washington and win both vs. Atlanta

Slight correction:

Their last games are against Carolina(1), Washington(2), Atlanta(2) and Lightning (1).

Slight correction:

Their last games are against Carolina(1), Washington(2), Atlanta(2) and Lightning (1).

OOPS!!! :blink:

Thanks for the compliments....

This week will say a lot as far as who gets the SE Division and if Washington and / or Florida can make that final push.