The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

Your official stop for the playoff picture...

Ottawa lost again last night and the Rangers now have one more game left than the Sens. Here's hoping (I hate to say this...) that the Rangers win tonight and the Sens dont. I am a Sens fan and a Rangers hater but for our own sake, I think thats what needs to happen.

So I am sitting here in class looking at the Eastern Conference standings and I cant help but be hopeful. If you look at the teams in the playoffs, I think we have a good chance of making it pretty far. My guess is that first round will be against Ottawa. Theyve been in a downward spiral of sorts recently and our last game proves we have what it takes. Over the course of the season, we have both won 2 of 4 against each other. Pretty good chance there. Next if you look at the Rangers, we have shown we can beat them when we have the will. My only concern is that theyre pretty hot right now, but hopefully some of the injuries theyve sustained lately can cool them off. I'm not even concerned about Boston (or Washington) personally. If we face either of them I'm pretty confident that we will have their number. The penguins have acquired some new blood recently and have great offensive depth. But their penalty kill is weak and they are know to take lots of penalties. With our power play being what it is recently this would be a problem for them. We also have a pretty good record against them. The flyers, NJ, and Montreal are more difficult for me to predict, but we would at least be able to mount a good effort against these guys.

The division lead shrinks to 4...

All this playoff talk assuming we make it is EXTREMELY premature... there is definitely now a stronger possibility the Canes could miss the playoffs... Now all the Caps have to do is play one game better than us and win the game in Washington and last place in the East is only 2 points back...

We HAVE to win on Friday... period, if we don't we're in a world of trouble

The division lead shrinks to 4...

All this playoff talk assuming we make it is EXTREMELY premature... there is definitely now a stronger possibility the Canes could miss the playoffs... Now all the Caps have to do is play one game better than us and win the game in Washington and last place in the East is only 2 points back...

We HAVE to win on Friday... period, if we don't we're in a world of trouble

Actually, Caps have to win 3 more games than us in the last 5 to take the SE. Forget about the 8th spot, we are not interested in that anyway. Tie goes to us. Next 2 games are important nonetheless.

It's honestly near impossible for us NOT to get in the playoffs. Possible, but very very unlikely.

We are up 4 points with 3 more wins that the Capitals. The first tiebreaker is wins. 2nd tiebreaker is head to head (based on points) We are 4 - 2 - 1 (9 points) against them, they are 3 - 4 (6 points) against us. Even if it comes to that and we lose to them in regulation next week, we still would have more points than them.

So.....ways we can clinch a spot (and I'm sure there are more I won't think of)

1. Win 3 games. This gives us 6 points. If Washington wins all 5 of theirs, we tie in points. We have 1 more win.

2. Win 2 games with a win against Washington. This gives us 4 points. If washington wins their other 4, we tie in points, we have one more win.

3. Washington loses 3 games. This gives them at best 4 points. We lose all of ours, we have 1 more win.

4. We go 2-1-2. This gives us 6 points. They win all 5 of their games. Now we are tied in points and wins. Second tiebreaker, we win again.

5. We go 2-0-3 with washington going 4-0-1 or worse. We have more wins.

6. We go 1 - 1 - 2 with washington going 4-1 or worse. Tie in wins. We have more points against them.

7. We go 1-4 with washington going 3-2 or worse. Tied in points. WE have more wins.

8. We go 2-3 with them going 4-1 or worse. We have more wins.

9. We go 2-2-1 with them going 4-0-1 or worse, we have more wins.

10. We go 1-3-1 with them going 3-1-1 or worse, we have more wins.

11. We go 2-3 with a loss to washington. They go 4-1 or worse we have more wins.

I'm sure there are a few more ways but as you can see, this is clearly in our favor to win the SE and get that 3 seed

Schedule for the Southeast Teams still in the hunt for a playoff spot:

This week could be a determining factor, as Washington plays both the Canes and the Kittens.

Washington will be finishing up their 6-game road trip, albeit not really one, since their schedule

allowed them to come home after 3 games to rest and recharge.

Carolina has been on a hot streak, going 8-1 for the month of March and 15-6-1 since February.

Florida has been on a hot streak, going 8-0-1 for the month of March.

Washington is 7-4 for the month of March.

Carolina

Mar. 25th v Washington

Mar. 28th v Atlanta

Mar. 29th @ Tampa Bay

Washington

Mar. 25th @ Carolina

Mar. 27th @ Tampa Bay

Mar. 29th @ Florida

Florida

Mar. 25th @ Tampa Bay

Mar. 27th v Atlanta

Mar. 29th v Washington

Canes finishing with such a weak schedule kind of bugs me.

Pens will finish playing against the Flyers, Rangers and Islanders.

Why does this bug you and last I checked, the Isles werent a powerhouse.

It only bugs me in the sense that they will not take on more competitve teams at the end.

The Pens will play teams deeper in the playoff mix.

It's not that big a deal since the Canes are mostly peaking right now but having the younger players see the predominant teams would have bode a little better for the teams overall preparedness.

It only bugs me in the sense that they will not take on more competitve teams at the end.

It's not that big a deal since the Canes are mostly peaking right now but having the younger players see the predominant teams would have bode a little better for the teams overall preparedness.

Makes sense, but Id rather have fresher, healthier players to start the playoffs cause our depth is all but used up at this point. Panthers and Caps will give them a good challenge and they'll be ready.

Makes sense, but Id rather have fresher, healthier players to start the playoffs cause our depth is all but used up at this point. Panthers and Caps will give them a good challenge and they'll be ready.

Last time I checked, the Canes and Pens were both facing the same sort of teams. Teams at the bottom of the league (Tampa Bay/Islanders) and teams that are on the bubble (Florida/Washington/Rangers/Flyers)

Last time I checked, the Canes and Pens were both facing the same sort of teams. Teams at the bottom of the league (Tampa Bay/Islanders) and teams that are on the bubble (Florida/Washington/Rangers/Flyers)

Rangers and Flyers are in for now, unless something implodes. I wouldnt say they're on the bubble, Rangers arent in any danger of being eliminated but the Flyers are hangng on by a thread at times. Hard to compare them to teams not even in it yet. IMO

Rangers and Flyers are in for now, unless something implodes. I wouldnt say they're on the bubble, Rangers arent in any danger of being eliminated but the Flyers are hangng on by a thread at times. Hard to compare them to teams not even in it yet. IMO

As far as the playoff picture goes Wash/FLA/ATL/TB are a world away from PHI/NYI/NYR.

I was just making the point that the preparedness of the younger players (and Cam Ward's too) wold have been a little more elevated if the Canes were playing teams that are deepere in the playoff mix.

Eh, the Flyers are only 1 point back from the Rangers. The Flyers are 3 points from being out of the playoffs, and Washington's 3 points from being in them.

I won't be able to update as often starting tomorrow through the end of the weekend, but I'll do my best. I'm going to be busy with something really important. :)

Im not reading 4 pages,but ive seen some percentages of teams chances making the playoffs,anyone know our percentage to make it???

94.4%, and goes down to 92.3% if the Caps win tonight. If they lose, we go up to 97.1%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html''>http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html' target="_blank">http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html[/post]

Im not reading 4 pages,but ive seen some percentages of teams chances making the playoffs,anyone know our percentage to make it???

94.4%, and goes down to 92.3% if the Caps win tonight. If they lose, we go up to 97.1%.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html''>http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html' target="_blank">http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html[/post]

Interesting that the Devils are on a free fall so late in the season. They've lost 5 straight and are in danger of being over taken by the Rangers.

Both Boston and Philly won last night, so they are staying ahead of Washington, Buffalo, and Florida, who are still mathematically in the playoff race.

The Canes will get a Thrasher team that played last night in Florida, then we travel down to Tampa Bay tomorrow.

Washington is off til tomorrow, travelling down to Florida to finish this road swing they've been on.