The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

No one should flame you for this topic, any Cane fan who says that proposition of Lavi getting fired hasn't crossed their mind lately is probably lying.

I'm sure he is on the hot seat for the rest of this month.

Getting rid of a coach hardly ever solves the problem

the players take a while to adjust

Look at Atlanta. They started the season horrible, made a coaching change, and now they are 1rst in the division.

And I agree it seemed like they weren't playing for him anymore a couple months ago. I like Lavi as a coach and hate that I feel like this, but it might be time.

Well, with the turmoil in Leafs-land, Maurice should be fired soon. I suppose hiring him back will make everyone happy! :P

Seriously, my take, the season isn't over yet and the team has had to deal with a TON of adversity with illness and the flu (even getting sympathy from Phi Esposito in his XM show yesterday). Moreover, at least for me, a Stanley Cup does give 'some' free passes for the coach. The players, on the other hand, some shake-up is needed. If reasonable trades can't be made to get this team younger without selling out the ranch, then that must be done in the off-season. Lavi's coaching style, I think, requires far more youth and energy than this current line-up seems to be able to offer.

Coaches have been canned for less, but I'll be honest with you, it rarely solves any of the problems long-term. I don't think the problem is Lavi.

The problem is Lavi. We have the talent but what we don't have is motivation it is his job to motivate players and he is NOT doing it.

Lavi kind of flammed out after 2 seasons with the Islanders. He lost the locker room. He has been here a little longer and the teams inconsistancies the past two seasons don't look to good. Maybe its a trend with Lavi. He has to be held responsible, just like the rest of the organization, for going from Champions to below average in less than a season and a half. I think last year was his "free pass."

IF the Canes were to fire Lavi, who would they get to replace him?

Daniels and McCarthy are not ready by any stretch of the mind.

Well I can tell you this when he pulled Leighton last night he made it clear that he doesn't know whats going on . No one in the arena would have made that dumb move

IF the Canes were to fire Lavi, who would they get to replace him?

Daniels and McCarthy are not ready by any stretch of the mind.

Easy. Ron Francis takes over temporarily or perhaps long term depending on what he is comfortable with.

Look at Atlanta and Capitals. Those two teams went 180 degrees after firing their coaches.

However, in their situation teams quit playing for their coaches.

In our situation team isn't skilled enough in certain areas to win games. So.... Likelyhood, It will not help Canes to improve situation.

I am voting for a complete team rebuild, which may include potential coaching change.

Well, with the turmoil in Leafs-land, Maurice should be fired soon. I suppose hiring him back will make everyone happy! :P

Seriously, my take, the season isn't over yet and the team has had to deal with a TON of adversity with illness and the flu (even getting sympathy from Phi Esposito in his XM show yesterday). Moreover, at least for me, a Stanley Cup does give 'some' free passes for the coach. The players, on the other hand, some shake-up is needed. If reasonable trades can't be made to get this team younger without selling out the ranch, then that must be done in the off-season. Lavi's coaching style, I think, requires far more youth and energy than this current line-up seems to be able to offer.

Thank God for sarcasm Red!!! Talk about taking a step backwards(Maurice)!! :blink:

I agree with ya on the style of play being more suited for young players but if we aren't going to get rid of some older dead weight then maybe it is the coach that has to be changed.I have the utmost respect for Lavs but i think he has lost the motivational edge to the team,they just don't respond to him like they used too. Everytime we play Tampa, Trip makes note that Coach Tortarela(sp?) will be reaming out his guys in between periods and you never here anyone say that about Lavs.May not be his style but if the team isn't going to change players ,,maybe if Lavs wants to stay he will have to adapt to the team that we have!!

Look at Atlanta and Capitals. Those two teams went 180 degrees after firing their coaches.

However, in their situation teams quit playing for their coaches.

In our situation team isn't skilled enough in certain areas to win games. So.... Likelyhood, It will not help Canes to improve situation.

I am voting for a complete team rebuild, which may include potential coaching change.

A complete team rebuild means you might as well expect to watch mediocre to bad hockey for a lot longer. The team DOES have the talent and there is no instant answer to this. But it doesn start with the coach at this point IMO.

If it were last year than Lavi wouldn't be criticized nearly as much but it's not. I think JR will at least let him finish the season but if we don't make the playoffs then I think it's inevitable.

A complete team rebuild means you might as well expect to watch mediocre to bad hockey for a lot longer. The team DOES have the talent and there is no instant answer to this. But it doesn start with the coach at this point IMO.

Yep, that what rebuild means. Team has talent but it so extremely one dimensional right now, we can't really use it anyway.

Sadly, the thought has crossed my mind lately too and I hate it but things just aren't getting better at all. But, as FM said, rarely does it ever fix the problem completely down the road. I think JR has a lot of big decisions ahead of him and they need to be done soon before we fall even farther than we already are.

I gotta disagree with that about 90%, I look at the Blues turnaround when Andy Murray came in last season, and that team wasn't that talented at all. Now that success boiled over into this season with a few new additions.

I'll also bring up the Pens from about two years ago, fired Eddie Olczyk midway through the year, Michelle Therrien took over and they played a good 2nd half of the year. Brought it over to next season.

Now for some teams it hasn't had success....Leafs fired Pat quinn...they still stink, but so did their attempts to save the team during the offseason. The Kings brought in Marc Crawford and they are still a basement team, but i do question the free agents they brought in to help the team plus they are very young.

So I won't say it doesn't work long-term, i can bring up examples from over the past decade really. Sometimes the coaches are to blame with a team this talented, sometimes it could be the GM, or the players. Truth is we don't know cause we are never inside the locker room, or have a good pulse for the team, we just know they are underperforming and are something like 13-19-3 since October.

I think the team needs an entire shake up. Maybe getting of rid of PL is an answer, or the possibility of trading someone that no one would expect to get traded, to show all of the guys that no one is safe. Something needs to be done to send a message beit a coaching change or a major trade.

I'm hoping that they play tomorrow night, or the only people who win will be the raffle winners at the Cool Bar! :lol:

No we are not in the locker room but before any of this doubt started, I already had a feeling at practices that he didn't have the best connection with the team. Hard to explain but I guess you would have to be there and see what I mean.

I know that doesn't help at all but this hasn't been an instant opinion for me. It has been developing for a while.

My main problem with this team is that we are so bad defensivley it it not even funny.

Yes Ward/Grahame/Leighton have been less than stellar but you need some help in front of you.

Too many 2 on 1s. Too much inconsisency like the other night vs Colorado. Good 2nd, putrid 3rd.

yes injuries are some to blame but what looks like a team "lost" is not good.

we were 11-4-3 at one point, now we are since 11-17-1 since. that is not cutting it.

If Lavi does not get this club going soon, IMHO he should be canned.

1 and 1/2 mediocre seasons after winning the Cup is not good.

I disagree that we should fire the coach. But if we did, would we have to pay off the rest of his contract? I think he has 3 more years.

Good question which is why I think they'll give him until the rest of the season to make something happen.

I disagree that we should fire the coach. But if we did, would we have to pay off the rest of his contract? I think he has 3 more years.

I could care less about that. Karmons has plenty of $$ to pay him. That is the wrong reason to keep someone on.

If you are not getting the job done, you should go, case closed.

Like I have said earlier, I would give him 10 more games and if not at least 6-4 then

see ya.