The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

Well i pretty much stand by my last post,(in this thread),,i said someone or something has to change,,,and that has happened,,,we have some new players whom are doing great and i also believe coach has changed his style or system whichever you want to call it. In the past Lavs really didn't like the physical or edgy style of play but since the rags games I M O he changed his system to embrace the physicality ALONG with his old style of play. We only have a few new guys(via trades) a few guys from our system that has completly changed this team.We are no longer a team that not only was getting beat we were getting beat up. So i guess from players to coaches to the GM the Canes has been making changes and that were needed! I for one am very happy that we didn;t stand pat with what we had..

Well i pretty much stand by my last post,(in this thread),,i said someone or something has to change,,,and that has happened,,,we have some new players whom are doing great and i also believe coach has changed his style or system whichever you want to call it. In the past Lavs really didn't like the physical or edgy style of play but since the rags games I M O he changed his system to embrace the physicality ALONG with his old style of play. We only have a few new guys(via trades) a few guys from our system that has completly changed this team.We are no longer a team that not only was getting beat we were getting beat up. So i guess from players to coaches to the GM the Canes has been making changes and that were needed! I for one am very happy that we didn;t stand pat with what we had..

Lets Recap- This was your original post: Which was a response to Caniac 97

QUOTE(caniac97 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:47 AM)

This shows how little you know about hockey and this team. All the coaching in the world will not fix our D, that is where our problem lies. JR tried in the summer but in my opinion did not try hard enough. Pat Burns is not the answer nor is Ron Francis, if you make a coaching change then you have at least two years before you see any real results. JR said it best when he said "there are some guys in the locker room that are ok with just winning one cup!"

So tell me then,,,why is it working in Atlanta??

- Pens?

-Devils?

Why wouldn't it be able to fix our defense, if a coach can't fix it what could??Are you saying that we don't need coaches at all??

This post has been edited by djharley: Jan 18 2008, 03:18 PM

Caniac 97 had it right and should be acknolged for it as should the coach who took the change in players that was needed for the D and other areas and made it work. You can only speculate the coach changed whis style therefore . Looks to me like the players he got used a different style,had more desire (including the rats) and Brookbank made sure our top 6 guys wern't sitting on the bench . I personnaly think this is Lavi's best year and he should get the Award he was denied in 06 for it. How many other coaches could have done as well with all those guys out of the lineup. Rutherford deserves GM of the year as well no matter what happens from here on.

In this case crow had to be eaten because an opinion is just that and it does not always work in your favor.

PS I took off the last few lines of the original post as they had no added value to the opinion.

Guys, now be nice...I only brought this thread back-up because it was about "firing the coach" and I wanted to post the comments Paul Maurice recently made about threats to 'fire the coach' being a Hurricane's organizational ploy in the past to motivate the team. I thought it was a pretty funny statement for Maurice to make.

Guys, now be nice...I only brought this thread back-up because it was about "firing the coach" and I wanted to post the comments Paul Maurice recently made about threats to 'fire the coach' being a Hurricane's organizational ploy in the past to motivate the team. I thought it was a pretty funny statement for Maurice to make.

You have to think that the same ploy is used for other teams as well and when that doesnt work, you have to be prepared to folow through with the threat. I cant remember hearing any indication that JR was looking to show Lavi the door at any point. I know he was under lots of pressure (and still is) but I think all the adversity hitting the team was being taken into consideration too. Pretty amazing that when you just plug in the right players, Lavi's system works quite efficiently which makes it pretty clear IMO, that it wasnt the coaching or the system.

You have to think that the same ploy is used for other teams as well and when that doesnt work, you have to be prepared to folow through with the threat. I cant remember hearing any indication that JR was looking to show Lavi the door at any point. I know he was under lots of pressure (and still is) but I think all the adversity hitting the team was being taken into consideration too. Pretty amazing that when you just plug in the right players, Lavi's system works quite efficiently which makes it pretty clear IMO, that it wasnt the coaching or the system.

Lets Recap- This was your original post: Which was a response to Caniac 97

QUOTE(caniac97 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:47 AM)

This shows how little you know about hockey and this team. All the coaching in the world will not fix our D, that is where our problem lies. JR tried in the summer but in my opinion did not try hard enough. Pat Burns is not the answer nor is Ron Francis, if you make a coaching change then you have at least two years before you see any real results. JR said it best when he said "there are some guys in the locker room that are ok with just winning one cup!"

So tell me then,,,why is it working in Atlanta??

- Pens?

-Devils?

Why wouldn't it be able to fix our defense, if a coach can't fix it what could??Are you saying that we don't need coaches at all??

This post has been edited by djharley: Jan 18 2008, 03:18 PM

Caniac 97 had it right and should be acknolged for it as should the coach who took the change in players that was needed for the D and other areas and made it work. You can only speculate the coach changed whis style therefore . Looks to me like the players he got used a different style,had more desire (including the rats) and Brookbank made sure our top 6 guys wern't sitting on the bench . I personnaly think this is Lavi's best year and he should get the Award he was denied in 06 for it. How many other coaches could have done as well with all those guys out of the lineup. Rutherford deserves GM of the year as well no matter what happens from here on.

In this case crow had to be eaten because an opinion is just that and it does not always work in your favor.

PS I took off the last few lines of the original post as they had no added value to the opinion.

So i still don't see what you are talking about,i just stated that a coaching change CAN work and it has in the past,right here is the perfect example. it doesn't matter what the players type of game is its up to the coach & or front office as to whether they will fit in or if the coaching style will be tweaked to accomodate those players!So what exactly are you re-caping.Oh yeah and by the way where is and was your thoughts on this matter?

So i still don't see what you are talking about,i just stated that a coaching change CAN work and it has in the past,right here is the perfect example. it doesn't matter what the players type of game is its up to the coach & or front office as to whether they will fit in or if the coaching style will be tweaked to accomodate those players!So what exactly are you re-caping.Oh yeah and by the way where is and was your thoughts on this matter?

I agreed with 97' assessment and response and wanted to include the refernce to the original post you made. It was a long time ago and hard to follow the train of thought without it.

I try to be accurate when possible.

Lavi has done more with less this year.

I'm loving the insecurity here that a topic had to be re-opened to make sure everyone on the board knew a few people were right.

Trust me if you were right people know it....

it's why a certain poster which will remain nameless makes off the wall irrational posts and then is nowhere to be found when thier blatantly wrong.

Now flame me because I prolly wrote something a few months ago that lavi was appearing to lose this team, you all quickly forget there was a preety horrendous slump there for a long while. No one on this board knew what exactly was wrong and some of you all threw so many guesses out there that there was bound to be a few right guesses.

I'm loving the insecurity here that a topic had to be re-opened to make sure everyone on the board knew a few people were right.

Trust me if you were right people know it....

it's why a certain poster which will remain nameless makes off the wall irrational posts and then is nowhere to be found when thier blatantly wrong.

Now flame me because I prolly wrote something a few months ago that lavi was appearing to lose this team, you all quickly forget there was a preety horrendous slump there for a long while. No one on this board knew what exactly was wrong and some of you all threw so many guesses out there that there was bound to be a few right guesses.

I think I know, one day you thought you were mistaken but then you were wrong!! LOL

Perhaps he did change certain aspects of his coaching and perhaps with that and the personnel changes it all clicked. Talk about excellent timing though...a very good time to have a team running on all cylinders. You caniacs must be breathing a huge sigh of relief .....it's only get more exciting from here

Plus the fact that you don't have to eat crow for an opinion,especialy when you don't have enough crow to state your own in the first place, then try and call someone else out!!! :unsure::unsure::blink:

I agreed with 97' assessment and response and wanted to include the refernce to the original post you made. It was a long time ago and hard to follow the train of thought without it.

I try to be accurate when possible.

Lavi has done more with less this year.

And JR has made some good personell changes to boot.

I'm one who has insinuated that St Peter has problems.....as well as the rest of the coaching staff.

And I'll not take any exception that the team is on a roll now, but I think so for a variety of reasons

1...JR gave a stern warning that no player is immortal (except maybe Staal) and would change things if play didn't step up. Shortly thereafter, Commie and Stiller are gone....and trade rumors were ongoing.

I think the coaches and the team got the message.

2...Brindy's injury served notice that the big guns had to step it up....and they responded.

3...Enter the new mix of players in trades and callups from Albany.

As for the coaches.....the style HAS changed...practice is much more intense. I offer the improvement on special teams as proof. The PK has done a 360.....the PP inching up notch by notch to being respectable. Cam has settled more in the crease, and gone back to his style of the 06 season, a much improved defense in front of the net has is finally showing up. Overall, the speed factor has been a noticed change....the "dump and chase" is beginning to work in our zone. Our transition game has moved off the wall and more centered to the point with in increase of shots on the net.

Yup.....I'm gonna give St Peter credit for the changes. I think crow won't taste too bad...especially if I think it may be served in the Stanley Cup. But also, I think JR did a number with trades. The guys took a hard look in the mirror and the smell in the locker room just might be a bit sweeter these days.

Do I still have problems with Lavi ? Yes I do, as well as the older team members. My reasoning is simple......Do threats and trades have to be the motivating force to incite the team to do the job they get paid big bucks to do? I like the new guys....but we had talent on this team all along. Why do we now see them performing? It doesn't take a mental giant to figure this out. Could it be that JR knew this too ?

For those who want to take exception to how I feel, I have no problems with your opinions. In the end analysis.....the results are what really count and from where we sit on top of the division the view is quite nice!!! Thank you for indulging me time and space.

Excellent post, NGHB. Agree with everything you said.

While I never jumped on the "Fire Lavi" bandwagon, I remember posting my thoughts of how his job was looking to be in jeopardy if things didn't change, and especially if the Canes fell out of playoff contention yet again. The thing is, he did change some aspects of his coaching style that were very necessary (Brookbank anyone?), and the Canes are back to form and looking to have a much better chance of making the playoffs than they would have if they continued their play of Nov-Jan.

Not sure that this is really eating crow, as if things hadn't changed the Canes would be competing with Atlanta in trying to catch Tampa as the worst team in the division/conference right about now otherwise, but I'll definitely agree that Lavi's job has been secured.

Plus the fact that you don't have to eat crow for an opinion,especialy when you don't have enough crow to state your own in the first place, then try and call someone else out!!! :unsure::unsure::blink:

Sorry if I offended. Did not "call you out". I agreed with another posters assessment of the issue and reiterated that with my own opinion.

As is always the case those that stand up and voice their opinions should expect response to them either way things turn out.

Please PM me and we can discuss that way.

Peace?

don't know if he should be fired but he definetly has some explaining to do about why he switched up the team and ruined all the good he had going. does he not learn from his mistakes?

Only the 3rd team to not make the playoffs the year after they win the Stanley Cup.

In control of the Southeast division with a backend loaded home schedule and can't get it done.

Lose 3 of the last 4 games of the season...2 of them to non-playoff teams, and the other to a team that gained the playoffs by beating you.

Nice resume, if you are looking for unemployment.

Lavi can't hold on forever just based on the Canes winning the cup anymore than Cam to be considered a top line goalie just because he won the Conn Smythe.

They started the season by saying that it was essentially the same team that won the stanley cup....then they had to bring up some muscle to stop the team from taking beating nightly....then they brought new guys in/up to improve the team and its chemistry.....then they folded down the stretch with guys like Brookbank and Conboy as healthy scratches. Losing Brindy, Williams and Cully the way we did really sucked, but face it LaRose breaking his leg didn't matter one bit....Brookbank was a +, Conboy was a +, Ruutu a +, Corvo ++, and Samonov +++. You can keep changing out all the players or you can shake it up by changing the coach. Funny how, most experts believe the turning point for the Caps this year was them firing their coach. hmmm.

i havent read all of this thread, just the title, its 6 pages, but these are my thoughts...

i completely disagree. lavi took this team from the doldrums and made it a top class team, the 2nd hottest team from february till now. only, we were awful before, and the hottest team is in our division. they cought us. we'll be fine. his style has come back, we'll be a good squad next year with a little added defense, if he gets the guys he needs. its a shame that what happened happened, but it did. its not like we were outclassed...we outshot florida 48-17 [i think] for gods sake. in fact, ive never seen a team dominate a hockey game quite like we did tonight. he prepared us, just some bad bounces and spotty goaltending killed us. lavi is a good coach, we should hang on to him.

How anyone can think we need to fire Lav after having Williams, Rod, Whitney, LaRose, Tanabe, Seids, Hedican out for long stretches due to injury is beyond me.

I think we made a tragic mistake playing without the physical edge of Brooks OR Conboy the last two games, however I think this may be the best coaching job of Lavs tenure here since the All-Star break.

We didnt have two nickels to rub together and we churned out a diamond of a record since the break with an average of over 4 callups from a minor league system that many "experts" rate one of the most weak in the NHL (I dont agree with them btw).

My 2-Cents.

I don't know if Lavi should be fired, because I don't know who was making the decisions for who would start and who would sit, BUT - at the end of play on March 20, we had won 8 out of 9. The Washington game was a hard fought game that we had a chance in until the very end. But we lost 3 out of our last 4 (this was when we started trying to put our injured players back in, instead of riding a pretty hot team). Somebody 'fixed' something that wasn't broken.

Laviolette did make a major mistake against Florida, he had our D moving up in the offensive zone understanding this increase a risk of a breakout the other way.

Every one knows when it comes to breakouts the other way Cam Ward is completly worthless !!!!!!!!!!

Worthless !!!!!!!

So if you want to blame Lavi blame him for thinking Crapo I mean Wardo would be able to defend a one on one shooter.

Laviolette did make a major mistake against Florida, he had our D moving up in the offensive zone understanding this increase a risk of a breakout the other way.

We were down by one or two the whole night. It's a high-risk, high-reward strategy that's been much more rewarding to us than the opposition of late. The problem was that our forwards weren't skating back to cover for any pinches.

So if you want to blame Lavi blame him for thinking Crapo I mean Wardo would be able to defend a one on one shooter.

Oh, you're a clever one.

In my opinion who ever changed the roster and decided to play those players who were coming back from injury, needs to be fired. an old adge says 'if it aint broken, dont fix it'. We were playing great hockey with the rat pack and line combos we had. We were playing really tough and no team could push us around with conboy and brookbank out there. Then when you have to play the most important week of hockey in the season, and you change everything up after that lineup just brought you back into playoff contention. I mean this has to be a joke who ever made these.

It was being said that don't rush these players back, well frankly because we didn't need them. If Lavi did make these decisions he needs to be fired, why change the whole gameplan for two games.

This is absurd that we were just outplayed by the Capitals (twice), Lightning, and Panthers