The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

In my opinion who ever changed the roster and decided to play those players who were coming back from injury, needs to be fired. an old adge says 'if it aint broken, dont fix it'. We were playing great hockey with the rat pack and line combos we had. We were playing really tough and no team could push us around with conboy and brookbank out there. Then when you have to play the most important week of hockey in the season, and you change everything up after that lineup just brought you back into playoff contention. I mean this has to be a joke who ever made these.

It was being said that don't rush these players back, well frankly because we didn't need them. If Lavi did make these decisions he needs to be fired, why change the whole gameplan for two games.

This is absurd that we were just outplayed by the Capitals (twice), Lightning, and Panthers

Obviously I am not an expert...so there you have my disclaimer. Simple math though would tend to indicate that the senior management(JR and Ronnie Franchise) made the call in concert with Lavi. Let's face it, you have to imagine that the consensus was to play the millionaires instead of the thousandaires.

Where did the unsung hero's go? Conboy, Brookbank, and even Jensen. Seems like we were winning with them in the line-up. Seems like we were losing with Cullen, Whitney, Williams since they were at best half speed. How can you make mid-game line changes like Peter did, but had to, in order to cover up for his weak and injured players. Now I have to watch baseball and hope the same fate falls on the blue team up the road......

How anyone can think we need to fire Lav after having Williams, Rod, Whitney, LaRose, Tanabe, Seids, Hedican out for long stretches due to injury is beyond me.

I think we made a tragic mistake playing without the physical edge of Brooks OR Conboy the last two games, however I think this may be the best coaching job of Lavs tenure here since the All-Star break.

We didnt have two nickels to rub together and we churned out a diamond of a record since the break with an average of over 4 callups from a minor league system that many "experts" rate one of the most weak in the NHL (I dont agree with them btw).

My 2-Cents.

don't fire the guy. hes great. i think he did make the mistake of trying to play a non-physical game though. the phsycial presence is what got us where we are and all of a sudden we stop it? i realize we are getting some healthy guys back and there isnt room for brookbank but come on guys play the body some! especially in last nights game that counts for so much. i thought we played great last night but those shorthanded goals killed us. what was it, 2 or 3? we just need to get cam to practice those more and we would have been solid.

don't fire the guy. hes great. i think he did make the mistake of trying to play a non-physical game though. the phsycial presence is what got us where we are and all of a sudden we stop it? i realize we are getting some healthy guys back and there isnt room for brookbank but come on guys play the body some! especially in last nights game that counts for so much. i thought we played great last night but those shorthanded goals killed us. what was it, 2 or 3? we just need to get cam to practice those more and we would have been solid.

There was 1 shortie.

Anyone who thinks we need to fire Lavi didn't follow Hurricanes hockey until we won the Cup. If you were around for the early stages of this franchise, you would be very appreciative of the job Lavi is doing. The guy won us a Stanley Cup in RALEIGH, NC!!! Not Detroit, not Montreal, not New York, but Raleigh, NC. We've become spoiled here. I think its amazing that this team played as well as they did down the stretch considering the number of injuries this team has had. This team lost its captain & an all-star from a year ago, but still managed to be hot down the stretch. Its just unfortunate that Washington was arguable the hottest team in the league down the stretch.

Nothing will change until Lavi is fired. We may win a few games but be ready for more of the same if he remains.

WHY?????I need some reasons why you think that???

i just don't trust a guy that makes great decisions then really bad ones and won't let his players fight.

I'd trust one who has won both a Calder and Stanley Cup championship, but that's just me. ;)

At the risk of repetition, there was never a prohibition on fighting but rather restrictions on unnecessary fighting. Every coach is criticized for making bad decisions so I'm not sure what the point is on that? Literally every fan was chomping at the bit to get Williams, Cullen and Whitney back and when the Canes lost, the 20/20 hindsight amped up.

Your front-line players have to be physical in playoff style games not the Conboys and Brookbanks who get limited shifts and play out of position as forwards.

For two years in a row we have had effort problems for extended periods of time during the season that have essentially knocked us out of the playoffs. I can't wait to hear how Lavi is planning to avoid these lapses in the future. I like the trades that JR has made but I think that the coach needs to be the motivator versus always relying on a JR trade bailout to get guys going.

The coach always seems to be the scapegoat.

On Sabres websites we get a lot of "Fire Ruff" threads too.

:rolleyes:

The Canes problems go beyond coaching.

I'd trust one who has won both a Calder and Stanley Cup championship, but that's just me. ;)

At the risk of repetition, there was never a prohibition on fighting but rather restrictions on unnecessary fighting. Every coach is criticized for making bad decisions so I'm not sure what the point is on that? Literally every fan was chomping at the bit to get Williams, Cullen and Whitney back and when the Canes lost, the 20/20 hindsight amped up.

Your front-line players have to be physical in playoff style games not the Conboys and Brookbanks who get limited shifts and play out of position as forwards.

agreed and respected but in lavi's system players are going to get hurt like they have the past two years and wait until its eric staal. What has he done since then his coaching decisions have been in question a lot he makes great ones then really bad ones.

The coach always seems to be the scapegoat.

On Sabres websites we get a lot of "Fire Ruff" threads too.

:rolleyes:

The Canes problems go beyond coaching.

for once i agree with sabre fans ;)

agreed and respected but in lavi's system players are going to get hurt like they have the past two years and wait until its eric staal. What has he done since then his coaching decisions have been in question a lot he makes great ones then really bad ones.

When you look at the vast majority of the injuries though, very few have had to do with headhunting hits from other players b/c they felt the Canes didn't have a deterrent. The Orr-Cullen hit was a prime example though and personnel changes resulted.

What really bad decisions are you referring to, the absence of Conboy and Brookbank?

When you look at the vast majority of the injuries though, very few have had to do with headhunting hits from other players b/c they felt the Canes didn't have a deterrent. The Orr-Cullen hit was a prime example though and personnel changes resulted.

What really bad decisions are you referring to, the absence of Conboy and Brookbank?

The goalie situation 20 starts in a row for Cam mentally that has to be hard. Not the absence of conboy and brookbank per say but bringing players back when a lot is on the line i.e. williams he hadn't played in how long not to mention a knee injury he didn't even make it one period. He switched the style they were playing when he brought players back. When there was a lot of rats it like they had different styles of play for each line that worked. Whitney just didn't fit into they way they were playing had people thinking they had to give it to him. orr cullen brought personnel changes but lavi switched it back leaving it open for the same stuff to happen again. i'm sure i will think of more later

I'd trust one who has won both a Calder and Stanley Cup championship, but that's just me

How long does he get a pass though? Personally, I think he should have been let go on January 1st based on the performance of his team early on(and before the injuries hit). The Canes have talent and depth - even with the Rats in the lineup. In failing to make the playoffs and choking at the end, who else do you blame but the coaches inability to utilize this talent and win games.

The goalie situation 20 starts in a row for Cam mentally that has to be hard. Not the absence of conboy and brookbank per say but bringing players back when a lot is on the line i.e. williams he hadn't played in how long not to mention a knee injury he didn't even make it one period. He switched the style they were playing when he brought players back. When there was a lot of rats it like they had different styles of play for each line that worked. Whitney just didn't fit into they way they were playing had people thinking they had to give it to him. orr cullen brought personnel changes but lavi switched it back leaving it open for the same stuff to happen again. i'm sure i will think of more later

Even great goalies have off nights, you just hope it is not game 7 situation. I think Cam had an off night but the situation of the goals were not his fault. He did not give up a bunch of rebounds. I would not classify any of the goals as soft. Did Cam have a monster night, no. Which, thanks to the D, was what was needed to get the win. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for all and they can use it to come out on fire next year.

As for the topic, Lavi did so much with what he had. The injuries were not used as an excuse but certainly you have to respect that. I think once everyone steps away from the final painful loss they will realize the success of the year. I am so psyched for next year. I hope we can keep Sammie. With Eaves and Ruutu back I think we will have 3 hot lines. Hopefully we shore up the D and then get it done next year.

Do I still have hope on this year, absolutely, but can Florida really play spoiler 2 nights in a row?

The Canes have talent and depth - even with the Rats in the lineup. In failing to make the playoffs and choking at the end, who else do you blame but the coaches inability to utilize this talent and win games.

Yes before the season began I was hoping that Conboy, Nolan, Brookbank, Leighton, Borer, Babin, Aucoin, Bayda, and Jensen would see extended time as Hurricanes.

I can't believe we didnt win the Presidents Cup as well.

Ward had the best stretch of regular season play in his entire career during that time. He had something like 14 wins and overtime loss and though he saved one of his worst ones at the worst possible time, it worked pretty well. It's the hand you're dealt, he played it well.

Williams back injury had nothing to do with the knee and there was no style switch, other than trying to ease returning guys back in with "easy" 4th line minutes where he could control to line match-ups at home.

As much as they did, the Canes were hanging on with the Rats in the line-up and it was depleted compared to the opposition. You can fault Lavi for being too loyal and expecting too much from returning guys but almost every coach would do that so I'm not sure it's unique to him.

How long does he get a pass though? Personally, I think he should have been let go on January 1st based on the performance of his team early on(and before the injuries hit). The Canes have talent and depth - even with the Rats in the lineup. In failing to make the playoffs and choking at the end, who else do you blame but the coaches inability to utilize this talent and win games.

That's a bit simplistic. While nobody wants to make excuses by pointing to injuries you can't ignore the key guys out and the number of man-games missed. They did the best they could but it is a major stretch to think of any of the guys called up as anything more than fringe NHL players. Hardly talent and depth.

Every coach has room to be criticized but I don't see how given everything that happened you could call into question "inability to utilize this talent and win games."

Lavi's loyalty to Cole was damaging. I believe there was a shift, or in-between change where Ruutu was out there with Staal. He was digging and fighting for the puck the way Cole hasn't for quite some time. The right move was Ruutu with Whitney and Staal. The latter 2 need someone getting them the puck.

Even great goalies have off nights, you just hope it is not game 7 situation. I think Cam had an off night but the situation of the goals were not his fault. He did not give up a bunch of rebounds. I would not classify any of the goals as soft. Did Cam have a monster night, no. Which, thanks to the D, was what was needed to get the win. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for all and they can use it to come out on fire next year.

Florida had 17 shots-on-goal for the game. I don't understand how the defense let Ward down last night. The reason for the two break-away goals can be directly attributed to the fact that the entire team had to chip in on the offensive side to try and rebound from the two goals Ward gave up on the first five shots he faced. If Ward stops just four of those first five shots, the game is 1-1 and the defense is allowed to sit back and those break-away opportunities don't occur.

Agreed on the D-Men...Kaberle, Seidenburg, and Gleason could all go away and I'd be fine. Bring Borer back up and give him a shot and lets get some defensive D-Men to give Ward a chance...Seidenburg and Kaberle were awful last night. Wallin can stay and Hedican and Wes can finish up this year and retire. This team needs to seriouly revamp the blue line before we even get a sniff of what we were like for the Cup Run. We've missed Aaron Ward's play, hustle and shot blocking beyond all comprehension.

A number of comments about bringing back Aaron Ward on this site. Ward is NOT the answer. It's funny how we Canes always revert to the same old same old when things are down. Ward is old, slow and not the impact D Man the Canes need. We need someone with caliber and skill like a Dion Phaneuf. Not that we are going to get him, but that is the type of D Man player we need.