The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

Lets face it, Ward can't stop a guy in a shoot out or on a break away to save his life. He's good when he's not one on one with the other teams player.

I believe he stopped a breakaway last night and made some amazing saves.

I really have to laugh at the doom and gloom and Cam sucks on this board today. He and Staal have carried this team since the All-Star Break. Everyone here wanted a goalie who could play night in, night out and carry the load. He did. He had a bad night and now there is a thread about "have we seen the last of" another "is cam's Done"

HE'S 24 GUYS... just finished his second full year as a starter and is top 5 or 6 in wins. He will not be Brodeur overnight. Brodeur wasn't Brodeur overnight.

K~

I really have to laugh at the doom and gloom and Cam sucks on this board today. He and Staal have carried this team since the All-Star Break. Everyone here wanted a goalie who could play night in, night out and carry the load. He did. He had a bad night and now there is a thread about "have we seen the last of" another "is cam's Done"

HE'S 24 GUYS... just finished his second full year as a starter and is top 5 or 6 in wins. He will not be Brodeur overnight. Brodeur wasn't Brodeur overnight.

K~

He is also 7th in losses. Its hard to deny that he is the only reason that we lost last night, and I can definitely see why everyone is upset at Ward. His play for the last TWO YEARS has not been up to par, and we have just let him keep going. I think that its a little too late to get a new starter now, so hopefully Cam can turn it around in his third year of starting next year.

He is also 7th in losses. Its hard to deny that he is the only reason that we lost last night, and I can definitely see why everyone is upset at Ward. His play for the last TWO YEARS has not been up to par, and we have just let him keep going. I think that its a little too late to get a new starter now, so hopefully Cam can turn it around in his third year of starting next year.

The only reason? I think you're missing the 7 power-plays the Hurricanes didn't convert. The only times they were able to score was coming off the 5 on 3's. Cam certainly didn't help the situation but he wasn't the only reason the canes lost last night. Plus what were you going to do instead, play Grahame? On top of it all I think you're missing his play since 2/14, he was a big part of the reason this team was in a position to make the playoffs. Blame him all you want for last night, but without him the canes would have been eliminated from the playoffs a week or two ago.

The only reason? I think you're missing the 7 power-plays the Hurricanes didn't convert. The only times they were able to score was coming off the 5 on 3's. Cam certainly didn't help the situation but he wasn't the only reason the canes lost last night. Plus what were you going to do instead, play Grahame? On top of it all I think you're missing his play since 2/14, he was a big part of the reason this team was in a position to make the playoffs. Blame him all you want for last night, but without him the canes would have been eliminated from the playoffs a week or two ago.

Believe me, Ward has been a force for this team since the all-star break, I know that. But the one game that he NEEDS to come through for us and win a game, he doesn't, thats what I'm saying.

Believe me, Ward has been a force for this team since the all-star break, I know that. But the one game that he NEEDS to come through for us and win a game, he doesn't, thats what I'm saying.

One Game.

The man has stood on his head for darn near two months and it's one game. The puck has to get by 5 other people before it gets to Cam. Other people have to pinch or get caught in a change for a breakaway. Cam will continue to improve his game. He will be even better next year. Remember Brodeur wasn't Brodeur overnight. Cam won't be either.

GP GS MIN W L T OTL EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO

69 67 3930 37 25 0 5 3 180 2.75 1870 1690 .904 4

77 75 4433 34 30 12 0 8 173 2.34 1954 1781 .911 6

Both of these stat lines are from the 3rd seasons of Brodeur and Cam. Can you tell which is which?? Third full season. You tell me. No Cheating.

K~

K~

I didn't say he sucked, I said one of his two weaknesses were exploited.

Lavi's loyalty to Cole was damaging. I believe there was a shift, or in-between change where Ruutu was out there with Staal. He was digging and fighting for the puck the way Cole hasn't for quite some time. The right move was Ruutu with Whitney and Staal. The latter 2 need someone getting them the puck.

I think the loyalty is more from JR than Lavi. Lavi's loyalty for Grahame didn't keep him from getting sent down awhile back. I also don't agree with the quite some time statement. THEY and when I say they I mean the whole team was off last night. Not just Cole. I saw Staal make some stupid passes, I saw the puck go right past several players like they had a hole in their stick. Look at our shots on goal! Despite the fact they looked so unorganized on the ice like no one knew where they were supposed to be there was still an overwhelming amount on SOG's favoring the Canes and that say's we should have won but the Panthers goaltending was outstanding. Cam Ward is an amazing goalie but like they said last night on 99.9 he doesn't have the support he needs. He is tired! No one has started this many games since Irbe and if Cam had a back-up that could come in and give him rest and the team had confidence in him we wouldn't be in this position. No one can fault Cam alone. he's done his job as a goalie. As a Cole fan I'll admit Cole has had some off nights and I've been disappointed but if you're going to single him out you might as well call out the rest of the team as well because where was bodyslam Gleason at last night? Staal has been a star player for this team lately and has really stepped up his play since Brindy was injured and he is a true leader by all means but last night he wasn't bringing it either. OK, this thread was about Lavi most go...I've had my moments with this one but I'd rather have Lavi than some of the other coaches that I've seen coaching in the NHL. Lavi can tell the team what they need to do but he can't go out on the ice and do it for them. I don't think the solution to our problem is the coaching at all. this is just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Winning the Con Smythe has been a double edged sword for Cam. He won it in his first NHL season where he was the backup goaltender. For some reason a lot of people seem to think that incredible 23 game stretch which brought us a Stanley Cup make him unqualified for development consideration. His run since the All-Star break is not much different than what he did for us two years ago in the Spring. In fact, I think he has more wins in these mini series Lavi put together. And the outcome is the same. We lost game six of the finals and we lost game six of this stretch. There is no game seven this time though.

I bet Lavi gets a nod for the Jack Adams. Probably won't win it without a playoff berth but he will get the respect of those who nominate. I can do nothing but thank him for what he has done with the cards he was dealt. It sure was a fun ride. I have already mentally checked out of this season, my heart was ripped out last night and has not repaired yet to have hope only to loose what little is left. If the Caps lose tonight, I will need serious medication.

I am still new to this sport. However, I do not think it is the coach's fault for last night's performance. IMO, the whole team stunk. As far as D-men, get rid of Kaberle. I have seen him do NOTHING this season. I listen to the post game reports and I hear them speak of him "he did so well tonight..." I just didn't see it. We need a GOOD back-up goalie. I love Grahame, but he gets paid millions to ride the bench. Let's use that $$$ to get a goalie that we can put in and not say, "well here goes the game." Gleason is a good player. LaRose skates his butt off. Letowski does, too. Cole has his moments. The AHL guys played the hardest. let's get them up here and give them a real shot. Rod will be ready for next season as will Williams. I am not sure what to do with my playoff tickets (refund or put toward next year). I kinda want to see what has happened in the off-season. I will always be a caniac...no matter who stays or goes.

I still say lavi has to go! I mean the guy had AHLer's up here winning almost every game and he was too dumb to stick with them. athe team played with a gut full of fire with them.

When larose,Whitney and Cullen came back things changed I am not saying it is their fault however,, it is the coaches for messing up the chemestry ....

Do I think Lavi should be canned? No. Give it another season or so, and then we'll talk. But can we please stop using him getting us to the cup as a crutch. Paul Maurice got us to the SCF before and he's not here, is he? Let's base it off their coaching merits outside of the SC. Just my opinion.

Do I think Lavi should be canned? No. Give it another season or so, and then we'll talk. But can we please stop using him getting us to the cup as a crutch. Paul Maurice got us to the SCF before and he's not here, is he? Let's base it off their coaching merits outside of the SC. Just my opinion.

I basing it on the fact he cant get us back in the playoffs.

I basing it on the fact he cant get us back in the playoffs.

Well, that is outside the SC excuse, so I'll let it slide. :) Although, I wasn't speaking to you specifically. I'm speaking to Lavi fanatics who constantly use the cup win as a reason he shouldn't be fired. I don't think he should for now, but I don't like that being used as a reason he shouldn't. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Next season will be the litmus test...if the Canes aren't in by then....but this is more than a year away. Every one needs to take a chill pill and relax.

I still say lavi has to go! I mean the guy had AHLer's up here winning almost every game and he was too dumb to stick with them. athe team played with a gut full of fire with them.

When larose,Whitney and Cullen came back things changed I am not saying it is their fault however,, it is the coaches for messing up the chemestry ....

Laviolette is most likely history. He was already on the bubble back in January for bringing a total lack of phyiscal play to the Canes game, and squandering a nice early cushion in the division. Not making the playoffs again will be intolerable to this organization....just ask Paul Maurice. After being only the 3rd coach in NHL history to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup, Lavi has followed it up with another non-playoff season, and this time snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the last week of the season. It may not be fair, but it is the way it goes at the Pro level. This team had plenty of talent, near the top in the NHL in goals scored, but the lack of physical play, inconsistent goaltending, and then losing 3 of 4 to turn the division over to Washington at the very end is a bitter pill to swallow. Screwing with the team chemistry in the last week was just absurd, and would normally be a no brainer for any coach...."i went with what got us here" is a much better sell than "I had to get back to the same guys who weren't getting it done from November to January". Once again, plenty of blame to go around, but you can get rid of all the players or you can replace the coach, and that choice should be an easy one.

I know, I know....it's the players that are on the ice, not the coaches. Yep, but it is up to the coaches to set a game plan, make the right lineup choices, and to motivate the team. November through January was anything but motivational, and Losing 4 citical games down the stretch...2 to non-playoff teams in your division, and 2 to the team right behind you suggests a total failure to prepare this team to get into a "playoff" frame of mind. Sitting center ice down at home games down the stretch was just eery....a lack of physical play by the Canes and no one going down to block shots (other than Wesley of course). Surely the coach must have noticed this.

The positives....Eric Staal was an animal for the past two months, and showed himself to be a real leader when it was needed. Brindy, Cully and Williams will be healed and back next year. Scott Walker brings it every single night, and you can see why he was a team captain prior to coming to the Canes. The additions of Corvo, Ruutu, and especially Samsonov form a nice new base going forward. Once we brought up the likes of Brookbank and Conboy, we showed the league that we can be physical and won't tolerate being pounded into submission. The Rat-pack showed some talent and some promise....no future HOFers, but some good energy, solid play and contribution.

We need another solid Goalie to press Cam Ward toward consistency. Wesley and Hedican won't be back, so we will need some new defenseman...preferably guys who can help out our goalies by being physical infront of the net, blocking shots, and protecting our prize players.

All in all, it was a fun season, with a disappointing ending. Half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs and we aren't one of them. I remember asking Mike Commodore how they felt missing the playoffs last year, and he told me "embarassed". I cannot even begin to imagine how these guys all feel this year.

See you in September Canes.

Laviolette is most likely history. He was already on the bubble back in January for bringing a total lack of phyiscal play to the Canes game, and squandering a nice early cushion in the division. Not making the playoffs again will be intolerable to this organization....just ask Paul Maurice. After being only the 3rd coach in NHL history to miss the playoffs after winning the Cup, Lavi has followed it up with another non-playoff season, and this time snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the last week of the season. It may not be fair, but it is the way it goes at the Pro level. This team had plenty of talent, near the top in the NHL in goals scored, but the lack of physical play, inconsistent goaltending, and then losing 3 of 4 to turn the division over to Washington at the very end is a bitter pill to swallow. Screwing with the team chemistry in the last week was just absurd, and would normally be a no brainer for any coach...."i went with what got us here" is a much better sell than "I had to get back to the same guys who weren't getting it done from November to January". Once again, plenty of blame to go around, but you can get rid of all the players or you can replace the coach, and that choice should be an easy one.

I know, I know....it's the players that are on the ice, not the coaches. Yep, but it is up to the coaches to set a game plan, make the right lineup choices, and to motivate the team. November through January was anything but motivational, and Losing 4 citical games down the stretch...2 to non-playoff teams in your division, and 2 to the team right behind you suggests a total failure to prepare this team to get into a "playoff" frame of mind. Sitting center ice down at home games down the stretch was just eery....a lack of physical play by the Canes and no one going down to block shots (other than Wesley of course). Surely the coach must have noticed this.

The positives....Eric Staal was an animal for the past two months, and showed himself to be a real leader when it was needed. Brindy, Cully and Williams will be healed and back next year. Scott Walker brings it every single night, and you can see why he was a team captain prior to coming to the Canes. The additions of Corvo, Ruutu, and especially Samsonov form a nice new base going forward. Once we brought up the likes of Brookbank and Conboy, we showed the league that we can be physical and won't tolerate being pounded into submission. The Rat-pack showed some talent and some promise....no future HOFers, but some good energy, solid play and contribution.

We need another solid Goalie to press Cam Ward toward consistency. Wesley and Hedican won't be back, so we will need some new defenseman...preferably guys who can help out our goalies by being physical infront of the net, blocking shots, and protecting our prize players.

All in all, it was a fun season, with a disappointing ending. Half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs and we aren't one of them. I remember asking Mike Commodore how they felt missing the playoffs last year, and he told me "embarassed". I cannot even begin to imagine how these guys all feel this year.

See you in September Canes.

Good post made good points and well written.

Under some challenging circumstances, Lavi just guided this team to the second most wins in the franchise's 28 year history. (Third best if you want to subtract out out our meager shootout wins as being distorting.) Disappointing not making the playoffs? No question. But the real thing when it comes to firing a coach is -- who is available that would do a better job than Lavi and is Lavi someone that would be in demand currently in the NHL? I suppose Barrasso and Tom Rowe are coaches in the ranks if the thought is doing something like the Caps did with Boudreau. Would they be an upgrade? As for the demand for Lavi, the Thrashers would snap him up in a heartbeat -- not a prospect I'd like to see.

Tom Barrasso should fix Cam Ward (i think he needs a new "clutch") before taking on the rest of the team. Ron Francis in Rutherfords replacement, Tom Rowe is good where he is. For the three full seasons Lavi has had the team we have been contenders and thats why he needs to stay. Let him pull a Maurice before we fire him.

Lets face it, Ward can't stop a guy in a shoot out or on a break away to save his life. He's good when he's not one on one with the other teams player.

Is this the same guy who stopped both Semin and Ovenchicken on the shoot out 3/25??????

I really have to laugh at the doom and gloom and Cam sucks on this board today. He and Staal have carried this team since the All-Star Break. Everyone here wanted a goalie who could play night in, night out and carry the load. He did. He had a bad night and now there is a thread about "have we seen the last of" another "is cam's Done" He will not be Brodeur overnight. Brodeur wasn't Brodeur overnight.

K~

Can I get an AMEN!!??

I am going to agree with RedStorms post. I think for what happened this year, the Coach did a good job. Sure I'm disappointed not being in the playoffs, but for all the hurt we had this year--we did pretty well. And it was just last week I think on Versus that during one of the breaks they were talking about their choices for Coach of the Year. Engblom picked a coach (I don't remember who) but the other guy (Keith Jones I believe) chose Lavi. He said the exact same thing--the man came thru with all the River Rats that were brought up and he had Samsonov do things he never did with his old team--and we did quite well with what was going on. He said he would give a vote for Lavi (after he made his spiel Engblom agreed with him).

I am going to agree with RedStorms post. I think for what happened this year, the Coach did a good job. Sure I'm disappointed not being in the playoffs, but for all the hurt we had this year--we did pretty well. And it was just last week I think on Versus that during one of the breaks they were talking about their choices for Coach of the Year. Engblom picked a coach (I don't remember who) but the other guy (Keith Jones I believe) chose Lavi. He said the exact same thing--the man came thru with all the River Rats that were brought up and he had Samsonov do things he never did with his old team--and we did quite well with what was going on. He said he would give a vote for Lavi (after he made his spiel Engblom agreed with him).

All in all I agree that Lavi did a good job all year long. The only two knocks I have are the way he handled Ward for most of the season and, to the extent he had anything to do with it, allowing some guys who had been hurt come back into the line up too early and sitting down some Rats at their expense. I for one am not ready to give up on Ward. He has some obvious holes in his game, but I think they can be addressed.

All in all I agree that Lavi did a good job all year long. The only two knocks I have are the way he handled Ward for most of the season and, to the extent he had anything to do with it, allowing some guys who had been hurt come back into the line up too early and sitting down some Rats at their expense. I for one am not ready to give up on Ward. He has some obvious holes in his game, but I think they can be addressed.

By the way, Keith Jones on Versus is one of the few guys who routinely gives props to the Canes. I know it kills some of the other guys on the Versus set when he does so, and for that I love the guy.

There's no way Lavi should be gone I don't think, Considering a new franchise record for man game's lost and key guys, especially our Captain, that's when everybody wrote us off, but if Lavi would have had at lease a halfway healthy team throughout the year, we could have done so dammage and it's still amazing we missed it by a point and controlled our destiny. We should be happy Staal is one of the few guys that stayed healthy all season.

I can't really blame Cam through out the year except for the last game, he's never really had any help this year so it's all been on him, I think playing so many game's in a row down the stretch was starting to catch up with him, we need a #2 goalie that the team has confidence in so we dont have to play Cam every game and wear him down, weather that be Cracker's or someone else, I don't thing Jonny has alot of confidence so I dunno about next year, but we have to remember Cam is still only 24.