The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

In my opinion, Lavi would be okay if he would just get over the aversion to physical play. Brookbank and Conboy came in and this team was different. He went away from that at the most crucial time of the year, and it cost us. This isn't hindsight being 20/20, check my posts early last week, I said it then, and I still stand by my opinion. I know we had guys coming back, but you have to dance with the guys that got you here.

I'm not an expert, but it also looked like he mishandled the goalie situation this year. Ward came on in the end, but he can't play every night. If Grahame can't go, keep Leighton here. This may be management more than coaches. It is obvious when Cam is off and somebody has to be able to step up on those occasions.

If Coach can change those few things, I think we will be okay. But what do I know, I work for the Postal Service and Lavi doesn't tell me how to do my job. I'm sure he knows more than me. It's funny, I was hearing coach of the year talk just a couple of weeks ago for the job he did with all of the injuries. All I know is somebody needs to hit somebody from time to time.

I'll never understand the obssession with Brookbank and Conboy. Lavi made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. Whitney was a PPG player, and our powerplay needs Cullen. Brookbank and Conboy played less than 5 minutes per game. Their presence was not the reason we were winning and the lack of their presence is not the reason we lost.

I'll never understand the obssession with Brookbank and Conboy. Lavi made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. Whitney was a PPG player, and our powerplay needs Cullen. Brookbank and Conboy played less than 5 minutes per game. Their presence was not the reason we were winning and the lack of their presence is not the reason we lost.

I don't want to get into another whizzing contest over this, but it isn't an obsession, it's results. You may have to bring back Whitney or Cullen, but maybe sit Aucoin or Bayda. I know this is heresy to break up the Rat Pack, but the physical presence has to be there somewhere. In the Washington game, all 4 lines got a lot of time. Lavi had been skating 3 lines for weeks. If Lavi made the right desicion, why did we lose 2 of the 3 games that it affected?

And as Forest Gump said, "That's all I've got to say about that".

I don't want to get into another whizzing contest over this, but it isn't an obsession, it's results. You may have to bring back Whitney or Cullen, but maybe sit Aucoin or Bayda. I know this is heresy to break up the Rat Pack, but the physical presence has to be there somewhere. In the Washington game, all 4 lines got a lot of time. Lavi had been skating 3 lines for weeks. If Lavi made the right desicion, why did we lose 2 of the 3 games that it affected?

And as Forest Gump said, "That's all I've got to say about that".

That's easy.

The Washington game: They wanted it more. Plain and simple. We didn't show up in the 1st period, and by the time we decided to play, we were down 2-0. Questionable officiating was evident as well.

The Florida game: We ran into a hot goaltender while our goaltending was suspect. You're not going to lose many games that you put up 40+ shots. You are going to lose games when your goaltender gives up 4 goals on 16 shots.

Neither of those games were lost because of a lack of physical play. And more to the point, there's no reason to believe that only Brookbank and Conboy can bring the physical play. Or have we forgotten about Ruutu that quickly?

You cant let guys get clean shots from the slot, I dunno how anyone faults Cam for any of those 4 goals. If thier open in the slot and got a clean shot at a corner thats a defensive breakdown not a goalie being off his game.

You cant let guys get clean shots from the slot, I dunno how anyone faults Cam for any of those 4 goals. If thier open in the slot and got a clean shot at a corner thats a defensive breakdown not a goalie being off his game.

Not the point. The point being, having Conboy or Brookbank wouldn't have prevented those defensive breakdowns. And they certainly wouldn't have helped our powerplay, which scored most of the goals in that game.

The Florida game: We ran into a hot goaltender while our goaltending was suspect. You're not going to lose many games that you put up 40+ shots. You are going to lose games when your goaltender gives up 4 goals on 16 shots.

Your right Conboy or Brookbank wouldnt have fixed it but why is this Cam's fault? The shots came from breakaways and clean shots from the slot.

We couldnt score on Anderson until we started moving the puck, Letowski was fortunate that for some reason Vokoun is a sieve for his shots. We shot at least 20-25 of our huge shot number into the goalies chest. Almost completely useless, expecially without traffic in front of him.

The Washington game: ....

The Florida game: ....

Neither of those games were lost because of a lack of physical play. ....

Whoa boy! We never hit in both games. Hitting creates turnovers and lots of extra space for the likes of Staal and others. That's why I love Ruutu out there with him.

Our best outcomes this year were in every game where the Canes hit. Didn't happen when it counted!

Your right Conboy or Brookbank wouldnt have fixed it but why is this Cam's fault? The shots came from breakaways and clean shots from the slot.

We couldnt score on Anderson until we started moving the puck, Letowski was fortunate that for some reason Vokoun is a sieve for his shots. We shot at least 20-25 of our huge shot number into the goalies chest. Almost completely useless, expecially without traffic in front of him.

I think an NHL goaltender shouldn't give up 4 goals in 16 shots, no matter what sort of shots. As I stated in the other topic, yeah, they came off defensive breakdowns, but once it's obvious the defense is gone, it's up to Cam to make those saves.

Whoa boy! We never hit in both games. Hitting creates turnovers and lots of extra space for the likes of Staal and others. That's why I love Ruutu out there with him.

Our best outcomes this year were in every game where the Canes hit. Didn't happen when it counted!

We were outhit in both games, but not by much. 17 to 11 against the Caps, and 19 to 22 against the Panthers.

But as I said, we lost the Washington game because we didn't match their desire to win, and we lost the Panthers game because of a hot goaltender.

We were outhit in both games, but not by much. 17 to 11 against the Caps, and 19 to 22 against the Panthers.

But as I said, we lost the Washington game because we didn't match their desire to win, and we lost the Panthers game because of a hot goaltender.

I believe my eyes before any stat for those games. Especially the Panthers game where we hit nobody. It was so glaring in the Washington (road) game last week I could have jumped through the screen with frustration!

I am surprised someone put this topic up. Peter has put his heart and soul into this team, it was proven when the Canes played against Washington this week. If Joe Corvo was here at the start of the season then this team would have gone deep into the playoffs. I still think when Jim made that trade for Corvo, he was aiming for next year.

PS- Dont worry Florida, the divers will once again smack you around!!!!!!!!!

Lavi should stay. I love him as a coach and person. Its not his fault of what happened out there. and to go back to cam. yes he let in 4 out of 16 shots but those were from defensive lapses and he does make incredible saves sometimes but this time the players actually slowed and worked cam rather then rushing the shot. its hard for a goalie one on one if a player works the shot instead of forcing it. Personally i was mad at i think it was hedican? correct me if it was someone else. But it was 1 defense (hedican) vs the shooter and rather then skate straight into the guy and play the body he turns around and picks up speed skating straight at came which #1 screened the puck handling of the offensive player from cam and by the time he turned back around to play the defense he was directly in front of the net basically screening it for the offensive player. you cant let that happen... >< it was dumb plays like that, that led to the loss. not cam wards less then stellar play last night we had 48? shots on goal... and only 3 goals.. need to learn to make those shots count.

he was coach of the year if the season ended a week ago. I agree that Cam shouldnt let in 4 goals on 16 shots and that SH goal was weak, top of the circle wrist shot, but without checking offensive zone time of possesion, Cam probably never had a chance to get into the game, facing a shot every 5 minutes.

All the coaches will stay! Lavi's only problem is he is too close to some of the players. Grahame for instance. Should have been cut at the trade. He feels too obligated with them all and needs to learn this is a business. If you do not produce, you need to be replaced.

He has a very hard job to do but I think personally he does a really good job at it.

GOOD LUCK CANES!

Here's what you need to think about:

1-who takes over

2-he has 3 years left on his contract which JR will still have to pay him

Personally, I don't think its a coaching problem. Let's go back to before the All Star break when this team was a complete mess. When the first notions of firing Lavi came about. Now let's look to after the All Star break. This team gave a hell of a run and missed by 2 lousy points. If the coach was the problem, the team would have tanked period. Point is the team didn't stop listening to Lavi, they bought in to his playoff series to end the season, and just missed the freakin playoffs.

Also, look back at all their other seasons, I believe these 92 points were either 2nd or 3rd best in the franchise.

Here's what you need to think about:

1-who takes over

2-he has 3 years left on his contract which JR will still have to pay him

Personally, I don't think its a coaching problem. Let's go back to before the All Star break when this team was a complete mess. When the first notions of firing Lavi came about. Now let's look to after the All Star break. This team gave a hell of a run and missed by 2 lousy points. If the coach was the problem, the team would have tanked period. Point is the team didn't stop listening to Lavi, they bought in to his playoff series to end the season, and just missed the freakin playoffs.

Also, look back at all their other seasons, I believe these 92 points were either 2nd or 3rd best in the franchise.

There are some coaching decisions he is responsible for, though. I've heard nothing about Kaberle being injured Friday night. He was on the bench in the 3rd, yet only logged 3:44 minutes TOI. If you're going to bench him, then screw it, scratch him and bring on Hamilton.

Not playing Hamilton and either Brookbank or Conboy was a serious error. Hamilton had been scoring and passing well. So, benched. We needed physicality....Brooks and Conboy benched.

Forslund mentioned that he asked the coaches Friday morning about the lineup....keeping Whitney in, leaving Hamilton, Brookbanks and Conboy off.....and the answer was "it's a coaching and management decision".............. *edit*! Management? Is he talking about JR telling him to play Whitney because Whitney's a million dollar man? If so and Lavi bought it, then Lavi needs to grow a few cajones and say..."no. These players have been playing well for us here down the stretch and Whitney needs a bit more conditioning and know that he has to play defense or at least back check every once in while".

Just my emotional thoughts on the subject.

Not playing Hamilton and either Brookbank or Conboy was a serious error. Hamilton had been scoring and passing well. So, benched. We needed physicality....Brooks and Conboy benched.

Forslund mentioned that he asked the coaches Friday morning about the lineup....keeping Whitney in, leaving Hamilton, Brookbanks and Conboy off.....and the answer was "it's a coaching and management decision".............. *edit*! Management? Is he talking about JR telling him to play Whitney because Whitney's a million dollar man? If so and Lavi bought it, then Lavi needs to grow a few cajones and say..."no. These players have been playing well for us here down the stretch and Whitney needs a bit more conditioning and know that he has to play defense or at least back check every once in while".

The comment about physicality misses the point. Those guys saw very few minutes and at home would have been matched against the other team's 4th line. Where you need a physical presence is against the other team's top players to take away their will not by pounding fringe players. What was lacking in the physical game was the responsibility of the front-line guys like Cole, Ruutu, Walker and Gleason.

Putting returning players on the 4th line to ease them back and contribute primarily on the PP was a sound move and not the reason the Canes came up short. A decision like that though was more a committee decision, hardly unusual, and certainly had nothing to be what Whitney or anyone else made in salary. Your payroll is the same regardless of who is scratched.

Just b/c you didn't hear of Kaberle getting injured doesn't mean he wasn't. Fact is, it has been mentioned multiple times that the defense is banged up and why Lavi was going with 7 defenseman.

Brookbank and Conboy would not have been the difference maker in this game and if you think them being in the line up would have gotten this team the 2 points, then really I'm not sure what to think.

Hamilton has looked ok since his return from the AHL, but let's face it, he ain't the determining factor either.

Point is the guys who were benched would not have gotten this team a win. Yeah you could have dressed Hamilton, but then Seidenberg would have sat, and we would have been down to 5 defenseman in the 3rd instead of 6.

If we had lost those games with Whitney,Williams& Cullen sitting in the press box people would be questioning why they were not playing. Unless Conboy or Brookbank could have prevented a short handed goal or a break away, I think Lavi made the right call. We should have gotten 2 points from the Mar. 25 game, and we should have beaten Tampa at Tampa. It never should have come down to the last game.

We lost both of these games because of lack of heart and desire from too many players. Bottom line is not enough Hurricanes wanted it bad enough. It's a shame. When the fire is there, all of this stuff you guys are going back and forth about takes care of itself.

Not enough guys want to win bad enough on this team and I HATE that more than anything else.