The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

there were times during the Florida game that if I was Lavi, I would be screaming my head off to get these guys fired up as much as possible between whistles! He looked so docile over there. Get fired up over more than bad calls. Get these guys inspired more next year. Get a better defensive coach.

Lavi's system works great for players who are hungry--almost to the point of being non-defendable. But if he doesn't get behind that blueline fixed somehow, it still won't matter how good they execute it.

Me, I'm keeping Lavi, but getting a KILLER defensive corp only coach who places a lot of emphasis on playing the man and not as much the puck, and get someone on the bench during games who can FIRE THESE GUYS UP before, during and after the games. Teach the players more about success and how to think properly and how to get rid of negative thoughts and how to make things happen and manifest good play, wins and success. All these guys have the skill, now they need to learn how to think and execute better. How to be more successful. Look at Rod before the games and what is he doing? He is on the bench playing the game in his head before it even starts. That's how he wins so many faceoffs and how he has made himself into a winner, into an ironman. He knows how to use his mind--which to me is the most important skill ANYONE can possess to ensure success.

Nothing will change until Lavi is fired. We may win a few games but be ready for more of the same if he remains.

I disagree. Lavi is a good coach. He's got a good system.

Fire Lavi? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Why would anyone fire a guy two years after he took a team picked to finish next to last in the league and won the cup. The next two seasons, while disapointing, were filled with injuries - something the coach can't be blammed for.

Honestly, if someone would tell you we make the trades we did, lose Brindy for the year, lose Williams for most of the year, lost LaRose for most of the year, lose Seidenberg for most of the year, lose Cullen for most of the year and play about 5 AHL guys every night that you would be upset with missing the playoffs by one point?

Why would anyone fire a guy two years after he took a team picked to finish next to last in the league and won the cup. The next two seasons, while disapointing, were filled with injuries - something the coach can't be blammed for.

Um, not to play Devil's Advocate, but have we already forgotten about Coach Mo? Takes us all the way to the cup finals, two years of bad play and then he's gone. I'm not advocating Lavi getting fired by a long shot. But just because someone takes a team to the cup doesn't mean they shouldn't be given a hard look when times are down.

Once again, I think Lavi should stay, but I also think they should put some pressure on him to continue riding the team if that is what it takes.

Um, not to play Devil's Advocate, but have we already forgotten about Coach Mo? Takes us all the way to the cup finals, two years of bad play and then he's gone.

A very good point. However, I think a lot of the reason Mo was canned was b/c after they went to the finals, he finished head last, but that was a bad injury year as well.

Um, not to play Devil's Advocate, but have we already forgotten about Coach Mo? Takes us all the way to the cup finals, two years of bad play and then he's gone. I'm not advocating Lavi getting fired by a long shot. But just because someone takes a team to the cup doesn't mean they shouldn't be given a hard look when times are down.

Once again, I think Lavi should stay, but I also think they should put some pressure on him to continue riding the team if that is what it takes.

The thing is that the players quit on Maurice. If the players have quit on Laviolette then he needs to go because you can't replace all the players. If he still has the players ears then he'll stick around.

From the games I've seen this year, our and others, is that the league is allowing more clutching, grabbing back into the game. That is not our style of play at the moment. It'll be interesting to see how the playoffs are called. Lavi and the staff may need to adjust to that style of play again.

I can't believe I'm wasting precious lunch time to reply to this thread. I know we're living on "Tobacco Road" here where we love to axe coaches, but this is a bit ridiculous. Lavi is probably one of the top five coaches in the league. He's not far behind from taking over the most wins of an American born coach from Tortorella and will probably do it having coaced less games. To let him go would just be insane. His system is one of the best in the league, but it takes EFFORT. I'm sure it's taxing on the players at times but no one could argue when this team plays with consistent intensity and effort we can make other teams look like pee-wees. And if the players have given up on him then I would say they're just plain ol' LAZY.

We made an awesome run to the end and I think we just ran out of gas probably due to certain guys playing insane amounts of minutes. At least I hope that's all it was.

Here's to a healthy 08-09 season forgetting the past and looking to the future.

My old thread was dug up :lol:

Lavi did a good job and accorded himself nicely

the one thing that I do not like however is that this team

is loose defenviely at time and gives up way too many breakaways

for my liking and IMO this is what lost us the season on Friday night.

tighter defense and get rid of the 4 fowards thing on the PP as

it creates too many chances on the power play.

I still think Lavi was very commendable over the last 30 or so games though

On the powerplay, I'm not sure that the 4 forwards were as much to bame for mistakes as the sheer number of opportunities. Getting that many power play chances in a short period begins to be a problem after a bit especially if you aren't converting because it wears out your primary power play units. In the third period we saw the lines with Hedican and Wallin playing the points because there weren't other options and that hurt because that isn't something they are good at.

You do realize that most teams employ the 4 forward PP its actually pretty common. It was the 5 foward PP that started to burn us. But we had no choice as we only had Kaberle who could play the point. Once we acquired Corvo, we were able to stop the dreaded 5 forward PP and use Corvo on one unit and Kaberle on the other.

On the powerplay, I'm not sure that the 4 forwards were as much to bame for mistakes as the sheer number of opportunities. Getting that many power play chances in a short period begins to be a problem after a bit especially if you aren't converting because it wears out your primary power play units. In the third period we saw the lines with Hedican and Wallin playing the points because there weren't other options and that hurt because that isn't something they are good at.

good points but going forward I would like another decent defeseman to go with Corvo

on the power play.

as for Katycane, I did not blame the whole season loss on Lavi, just he did not

do a great job on Friday. the team was flat and Ward very average

good points but going forward I would like another decent defeseman to go with Corvo

on the power play.

I agree a second defenseman who can play the point would be nice (though Seidenberg appears to have some potential). Kaberle seemed to be holding his own down the stretch but the mystery injury in the FL game really hurt since he was unable to play the second point.

Caniac97 suggest I was wrong in what I said . Well I wasn't we MISSED THE PLAYOFFS !!!!

You're still wrong, since we didn't miss the playoffs because of coaching decisions.

I'm embarrassed that we even have a thread about firing our coach. He is a great coach. We have some needs on defense but its up to JR to get the personnel in here. Lavi proved what he could do by getting so much from our depleted lineup. Please get rid of this thread.

Next Year is going to tell us everything we need to know. Hopefully we won't have injuries like the last two years so we can see what this team can do. i don't care for Lavi's system but with all the injuries it is hard to say it's coaching. So when we have a healthy team and get bullied all over the place and miss the playoffs again then we can fire lavi.

We need a good season, with decent defense, solid goaltending (something we haven't had since Gerber left), and players who aren't so fragile :P

Once we see how we do in the standings, and from game to game there next season if all of the above is accomplished, then we will determine if it is coaching. As for me, I wouldn't be too upset seeing a new face behind the bench, to shake things up, and everyone knows coaching jobs can be lost any day out of the blue. If we bomb the beginning of next season, it wouldn't be a surprise if Lavi is sacked. We'll just have to wait and see.

Mid-season I was calling for Lavi's departure but after seeing what he could do with all the injuries, I think he can stay. I also think JR did a helluva job to find what we needed. I really can't explain what happened and I am still in shock. I am trying not to think about it right now.

On XM Espo was discussing the award nominations and likes Lavi for the Jack Adams. Also several other votes have said that Lavi is definetly in their top 3

But yeah we should fire him :rolleyes:

JR MUST STAY

Lavi I guess can stay

though

Lavi Post Season record is

1. Did not make playoffs

2. Stanley Cup Champs

3. Did not make playoffs

4. Did not make playoffs

Kinda Weird

Guess its ALL or NOTHING

His first season he was taking over for Mo and we were pretty muched hosed that year unless you are talking about the lockout!

and if you are gonna fire Lavi then explain why JR gets a free pass.

all the coaching and trades in the world aren't gonna make a player wanna play consistently, if the fire isn't there it can't be coached and only occasionally can the fear of being traded work.