The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
medfordcaniac7

Lavi must go

I disagree that we should fire the coach. But if we did, would we have to pay off the rest of his contract? I think he has 3 more years.

Since I spend my hard earned money to watch the team play, Ownership owes it to me and the rest of us paying fans to have the man with the best shot at getting this team wins behind the bench. We shouldn't suffer because they gave Lavi a longterm deal.

I'm not at the point to say Lavi needs to go. Pulling Leighton in the 3rd was the stupidest thing ever, but I don't think firing Lavi is the answer.

For one, who replaces him: McCarthy? Daniels? No way in hell. McCarthy can't even get his defense to play defense and Daniels can't get his special teams to play.

I could possibly see Francis stepping in for the rest of the year, but with his GM job now he can't do it full time. That never works. So what coaches are out there that are worth a damn, Hanlon? Please no, I don't want to watch goon hockey every night. Fact is there isn't a coach available worth a damn.

I don't think the team has given up on Lavi either. This team continues to fight and battle back. If they gave up on Lavi, the fight wouldn't be there. The biggest problem with this team is defense. We can't hold a lead b/c our defense sucks. We can't keep pucks out of the net b/c our defense sucks. Until a change is made on our defense, it won't matter who the coach is. Its not the coach, or the goalies, its the defense. Plain and simple.

I disagree that we should fire the coach. But if we did, would we have to pay off the rest of his contract? I think he has 3 more years.

Yes we would, we had to continue paying Mo until he got another job!!

Well I don't envy the decision makers at this point then.

With the Mo decision we had no other choice but to bring in a new face, maybe Lavi has sorta lost the room but not like Mo did!!

Perhaps Lavi has not completely lost the room, but JR has mentioning that firing Lavi would be an option if need be. It may not fix anything permanently but The other changes we have mad have not done anything.....

Perhaps Lavi has not completely lost the room, but JR has mentioning that firing Lavi would be an option if need be. It may not fix anything permanently but The other changes we have mad have not done anything.....

That's b/c the changes made so far have been minor. We brought in an AHL goalie and we brought in a guy who is struggling and is on his 3rd team in less than a year.

These minor moves aren't going to do anything to get this team on track. Neither is firing the coach or bringing in one guy via trade.

I'm not convinced that Lavi is the problem at this point. How is it that when the players actually give a true 60 minute effort, they look fine. When the team stops skating and giving the effort is when they look lost and pathetic. Too many nights I've watched this team fail to forecheck, fail to backcheck, not pressure the puck, to me, that's lack of effort, the players not willing to pay the price. I lay this on the players and their lack of willingness to continually give the effort it takes to win in this league. Whacking the coach is the easy move, I say we start with a few players being shipped out that aren't getting it done. As far as who to move, I would say that the only player not subject to trade would be Staal.

The biggest problem with this team is defense. We can't hold a lead b/c our defense sucks. We can't keep pucks out of the net b/c our defense sucks. Until a change is made on our defense, it won't matter who the coach is. Its not the coach, or the goalies, its the defense. Plain and simple.

Agree with you there, however - I do think something else is going on with this team. It's not just the illnesses and injuries. If everyone remebers, we started to go down hill quite a while ago and have not been able to get the sled out of the ditches yet. Does Lavi have what it takes to turn this thing around? I'm not sure we really know at this point - he doesn't really have any history in this league that you could point to and say - "Yes, he can do that".

As to whether he should be fired or not - I'm about 60% "Yes" and 40% "No" at this point.

That's b/c the changes made so far have been minor. We brought in an AHL goalie and we brought in a guy who is struggling and is on his 3rd team in less than a year.

These minor moves aren't going to do anything to get this team on track. Neither is firing the coach or bringing in one guy via trade.

I wouldn't call firing the head coach who won the team a Cup a minor move.

JR was asked about sending Grahame down for Leights and he had said they were going to stay with Grahame for now, a month or so later Grahame is sent down.

JR was asked if they had considered a coaching change, he said that Lavi would be fired as the last resort. Well obviously the trades aren't rolling in or otherwise we would have a puck-moving defenseman and someone to take Justin's spot.

I'm not at the point to say Lavi needs to go. Pulling Leighton in the 3rd was the stupidest thing ever, but I don't think firing Lavi is the answer.

For one, who replaces him: McCarthy? Daniels? No way in hell. McCarthy can't even get his defense to play defense and Daniels can't get his special teams to play.

I don't think the team has given up on Lavi either. This team continues to fight and battle back. If they gave up on Lavi, the fight wouldn't be there. The biggest problem with this team is defense. We can't hold a lead b/c our defense sucks. We can't keep pucks out of the net b/c our defense sucks. Until a change is made on our defense, it won't matter who the coach is. Its not the coach, or the goalies, its the defense. Plain and simple.

OK then, why don't we get rid of McCarthy (sorry, not Daniels as I mistakenly posted in another thread...)? The defense has sucked for a year and a half now. Part of it is arguably talent, and age ... maybe. But if "McCarthy can't even get his defense to play defense ..." then why shouldn't his neck be on the chopping block? There is a major disconnect with the defense, that is pretty much a universal agreement. There is an valid argument to be made that bringing in one new defenseman is not going to make a difference to the point of be "the thing that changes everything". So, if we have to work with what we have, and what we have is not working, IMO the coach in charge of the things that's not working should be scrutinized ... and that's McCarthy. People seem to want to yank a "face" (Lavi, a star, a long time player...) off the team to fix things, when it really may be the person(s) that are more behind the scenes that is the problem...

Well I can tell you this when he pulled Leighton last night he made it clear that he doesn't know whats going on . No one in the arena would have made that dumb move

The dumb move was starting Leighton to begin with. But Cam isn't playing any better right now, so it doesn't really matter.

I still think its the player who need changing, especially the older players.The young guns like Staal, Ladd, and Cole have stepped up thier game, but it isn't enough. Right now, the Canes worst players are Kabs, Brindy, and Stiller. It's not the whole team thats bad, just players in key positions.

OK then, why don't we get rid of McCarthy (sorry, not Daniels as I mistakenly posted in another thread...)? The defense has sucked for a year and a half now. Part of it is arguably talent, and age ... maybe. But if "McCarthy can't even get his defense to play defense ..." then why shouldn't his neck be on the chopping block? There is a major disconnect with the defense, that is pretty much a universal agreement. There is an valid argument to be made that bringing in one new defenseman is not going to make a difference to the point of be "the thing that changes everything". So, if we have to work with what we have, and what we have is not working, IMO the coach in charge of the things that's not working should be scrutinized ... and that's McCarthy. People seem to want to yank a "face" (Lavi, a star, a long time player...) off the team to fix things, when it really may be the person(s) that are more behind the scenes that is the problem...

I never said I wouldn't get rid of McCarthy. The thread is asking if we should get rid of Lavi, to which I commented on Lavi.

Someone has to be responsible, right? A coach or a good coach, that is, knows how to deal with injuries and how to use what he has to his advantage. He changes on ice players to match the current abilities of the players in relation to the total pool available and the opponent

The constant juggling of lines has to be a factor as they players never seem to be the proper position to make/receive a pass. During the SC run they played with a desire and now that desire seems to be gone. If Lavi can't turn things around by the end of this month, it's probably time for him to go and bring in Ron Francis.

The constant juggling of lines has to be a factor as they players never seem to be the proper position to make/receive a pass. During the SC run they played with a desire and now that desire seems to be gone. If Lavi can't turn things around by the end of this month, it's probably time for him to go and bring in Ron Francis.

"Hey Ronnie, we need you to be head coach now too. While you're at it, just take over GM and President too.....might as well run the whole franchise!" lol

Letting Lavi go would be a big mistake. The only reason to do that would be to really drop a bomb and blow up the team. Do we really need that? NO. Is the team behind him? Yes & No. I'm sure there are some guys in the locker room that might be looking to him do something magnanimous that gets us back in the win column but there are guys who also have confirmed and said they are falt out not executing. Lavi's system is a good system and fits this team well (at the beginning of the season we looked like an offensive juggernaut). However we are also a team with defense by committee and when the forwards are more bent on cheating for breakaways then they are with backchecking then we get in trouble. We have had lapses in goaltending, it happens. The flu-bug hasnt been pleasant and we've had some guys out to injury but thats to be expected, cant blame a coach for that. I for one have been happily surprised with some of the performances I've seen with our call ups. The all star break cant get here fast enough but I say we at least take a look at how we come out after the break before looking to toss the coach.

Altough I am NOT a NHL Hockey coach (obviously) and don't pretend to even come close - I have coached quite a bit of youth hockey and one of the things you try to teach early on is positioning and not chasing the puck. I'm not saying we (The Canes) are chasing because they don't know any better, however with all the different line combinations, it does create confusion at times about who is going to the corners and who is guarding the front of the net. We seem to break down in this way quite a bit leaving the netminder "out to dry" so to speak.

You can make arguments on both sides on whether or not to get rid of Lavi. That is why he is not going anywhere until at least the end of the season. I don't think JR will pull that trigger mid-season. Just like he doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for players this season. He has basically told us that he is giving this team through the rest of the season to prove something and THEN we will see our changes. At least that's what I got out of it.

No thanks! LMAO

I can't believe he is actually still employed down there. What are you all waiting on?

When 90% of your payroll is wrapped up in 3 players, no coach is going to be successful. It is amazing that they made the playoffs the past 2 seasons.

Ron isn't the answer or at least not short term and maybe not long term. Ron is more of a "lead by example" guy then a "motivator" and it would be hard for him to lead from the bench.

Froma an arena employee with access downstairs.

The last employee who tried making statements like that thought that we couldn't find out who they were. When they got fired three days later, they were pretty shocked. Please don't make me send this one in too.